Mossberg 4x4

PDA

txcookie
April 25, 2012, 12:15 AM
Man from what I have read this rifle is a freakin jewel????

Any of you guys have this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 4x4" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
April 25, 2012, 12:52 AM
I have a Mossberg ATR-100 (earlier than the 4x4 series) in .30-06 that will hold under 2" @100Yds with most cheap soft-point hunting ammo (read as rem Core-Lokt).

With GOOD ammo and rifle in steadier hands than mine (Fed. Gold Medal match) under 0.7"

jmr40
April 25, 2012, 03:29 PM
What have you been reading? Everything I read says stay away. There are lots of good rifles out there. The Mossberg and Remington 710/770 are the only 2 that I would say "Never Buy". Both are disposable guns designed for the guy who only shoots a box of ammo a year and are meant to be thrown away in a few years when they wear out. Neither are worth the trouble to have repaired when something breaks and have virtually no resale value. None of the local pawn shops will take them at any price.

Yea, they shoot pretty well and are inexpensive, but for about the price difference of 2-3 boxes of ammo you can buy a much better gun designd for a lifetime of shooting.

They started out as the Raptor Firearms company. They went bankrupt and sold the rights for the design to Charter Arms who made the same rifle for a while. Both failed miserably. Now Mossberg is producing the same rifle that ha failed twice before. The rifle has a long track record and it ain't good.

tonytuna
April 25, 2012, 07:21 PM
I almost got it based on what I read.
Then I handled one. Its ok for a beginner but if you plan on using it more than once or twice a year I wouldn't get it.
The magazine box sucks, its plastic or something of that nature but it seems like it would break after a few boxes of ammo. Also didn't like the feel of it (my opinion) just didn't seem right.
Again good for a beginner but an upgrade will be needed sooner than later.

2DREZQ
June 27, 2012, 08:38 PM
My eldest son has one (Model #27432) in .270 It was a gift.
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/27433.jpg

We haven't had it long enough to determine anything other than it WILL shoot MOA with the few factory loads we have tried. My impression is that, for most people who go through a box or two every deer season this rifle will more likely die of closet syndrome before anything actually breaks. FWIW, I personally think it is a nice looking rifle, but that's just me.
I will post more detailed review info on it after deer season.

dubbleA
June 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
If you hurry you can get one of these, but hurry as I bet these will be snatched up by the savy mooseburg collector.:D

http://americanlegacyfirearms.com/uploads/NRR--Full-Left-Forearm.jpg

mberoose
June 27, 2012, 08:46 PM
The Mossberg and Remington 710/770 are the only 2 that I would say "Never Buy". Both are disposable guns designed for the guy who only shoots a box of ammo a year and are meant to be thrown away in a few years when they wear out.

I have to say, my buddy actually had a 770 briefly, got it for a ludicrously cheap price. Didn't shoot it, but it felt pretty lousy. Probably the most slippery rifle I've ever felt. The mag wobbled & clunked around like nobody's business and the bolt felt like it was lubricated with sand. :p

MrDig
June 27, 2012, 08:54 PM
I have one in .243 and it shoots like a dream. I was ringing a gong at 200 yards in less than 20 rounds after installing the scope and redoing it due to some of my own mistakes. The gun shoots nickle sized 5 shot patterns. To say I'm tickled is an understatement.
As soon a my brother and I shoot again I will post some pics.

adelbridge
June 27, 2012, 10:52 PM
I wouldnt even put the Rem 770 in the same class as the mossberg 4x4. Mossberg is a decent budget rifle and the 770 is a Bic lighter. The 4X4 has a wonderful trigger and the 770 has a gritty pc of crap unfit for a 100 year old russian relect.

Kachok
June 27, 2012, 11:19 PM
At first I would not touch a 4x4, namely because of the horrific synthetic stock, worse then my el-chepo savages and Remington ADL! But now I am warming up to them, not enough to pick one over another Tikka but I would not turn down a steal on one either.
The best bargin rifles overall IMHO are
Savage 110 syntehtics best $300 rifles on the planet bar none. Owned half a dozen of them and been thrilled with them all.
Tikka T3 Sako refinement and accuracy for bargin barrel prices. Overall best shooters I have ever used, and at only 6lbs it is a joy to carry all day.
TC Venture Sub MOA guarantee and lifetime warranty for under $500 could you ask for anything more?
Weatherby Vanguard Series II Really solid sporter for people on a bugdet. New and improved stock and trigger.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mossberg 4x4" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!