5.56mm AP rounds versus a Bear

PDA

chagasrod
April 25, 2012, 03:44 AM
This is a question for the hunters out there:

Sorry if this question sounds stupid as i am not a hunter;

Can the 5.56 Green tips stop a bear?

Just curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "5.56mm AP rounds versus a Bear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longdayjake
April 25, 2012, 04:02 AM
Depends On the bear. Black bear is no problem. Grizzly? Maybe not.

Rail Driver
April 25, 2012, 04:04 AM
I live in black bear country. I keep my AR loaded with M855, but that's for 2 legged critters. I keep a pair of slugs in my 12ga double in case of bear problems (very little chance of that, but you never know).

chagasrod
April 25, 2012, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the reply longdayjake;
These rounds with penetrate light armor but not kill a grizzly bear?
Damn

dubya450
April 25, 2012, 04:06 AM
Maybe with an eyeball shot!

Sergeant Sabre
April 25, 2012, 05:02 AM
"Green tip", actually M855, is not armor piercing by design nor by legal definition. They were designed to penetrate both sides of a Soviet steel helmet at 600yds. M995 is armor piercing ammunition. It is identified by a black tip, and has a tungsten carbide penetrator.

Neither of these are good choices for bear.

Dr.Rob
April 25, 2012, 05:41 AM
While there IS an example of a full auto m-16 being used by a native American to STOP a bear, it's NOT a legal caliber in ANY state south of Alaska I'm aware of. I'm doubting it was a legal HUNTING caliiber there either.

If you enjoyed reading about "5.56mm AP rounds versus a Bear" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!