A Quality Discreet Rifle Case For An AK-47/74?

PDA

Motorman2061
April 25, 2012, 12:02 PM
Hi All,

Looking for a quality, lightly padded, discreet rifle case for an AK-47/74 with a folding tri-metal stock. I do not have the overall length measurement of the rifle folded, however I would guess it might be around 28".

Any help finding the perfect case would be appreciated.

Someone must make a smaller case for carbine-style rifles.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "A Quality Discreet Rifle Case For An AK-47/74?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
25cschaefer
April 25, 2012, 12:05 PM
By discreet do you mean a case that looks like a guitar case or one that can keep a secret?

walking arsenal
April 25, 2012, 12:11 PM
I have a folding stock on mine and keep it in a tennis racket case.

Motorman2061
April 25, 2012, 03:20 PM
Tennis racket case? Interesting idea.

Either a large tennis racket case or a short rifle?

Inebriated
April 25, 2012, 03:24 PM
Mind me asking why it must be discrete?

And my local fun store/range has a violin case-shaped gun case. I've been itching for it for months.

Motorman2061
April 25, 2012, 03:29 PM
Why advertise "gun"???

It would be nice to take it almost anywhere.

Do you have a link for the gun/violin case? Thanks.

Nushif
April 25, 2012, 03:43 PM
Since we are kinda talking about what an onlooker sees consider this:

You don't wanna advertise gun, so why would you wanna advertise a $900+ instrument?

If I were to conceal a gun, I would put it in a beaten up suitcase, walking around in raggedy clothing in a beater car.

Not in good clothing with a nice violin case. 8) If you're worried about "high profile" and all that.

walking arsenal
April 25, 2012, 04:36 PM
Tennis racket case? Interesting idea.

Either a large tennis racket case or a short rifle?

Yeah. A folding stocked AK fits right in them. My wife's sig 522 goes in one as well. Seys "wilson" on the side and everything. Those cases are dirt cheap too.

Just remember to put on your tennis shorts and shoes when you go to the range so the outfit looks complete! ;)

briansmithwins
April 25, 2012, 05:19 PM
Emdom Grey Man bag.

Designed to hold weapons but totally looks like a duffle/laundry bag. Bigger on the inside than the outside too.

I've carried it into a bank before with nary a second glance.

BSW

Motorman2061
April 25, 2012, 10:12 PM
Love the gym bag. Now I must get the exact measurements and hope the weapon is not over 26.5" long.
Hope it works.

Thanks for the tip BSW!

TurtlePhish
April 25, 2012, 10:17 PM
Just remember GFSZA if you don't have a CCW permit. Can't carry it unlocked within 1000 feet of a school. :banghead:

Telekinesis
April 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
Throw it in a duffel bag. I'd recommend a bit of extra stuff in there though so it doesn't look like you've got just one long pipe in there.

An alto sax case should be about the right size, though you may need to go up to a tenor sax case... Stop by a pawn shop or older music store and see if they'll sell you an old case. Sometimes you can find one that they used for a rental instrument for a good price.

You can rework the interior to make it work with the rifle. And no one seems to want to steal a bottom of the barrel sax.

taliv
April 25, 2012, 10:29 PM
that GYM bag is pretty cool

my problem is that i shoot a lot more than i clean, and the inside of my ARs gets pretty bad. I would hate to separate the upper/lower for transport as it would inevitably result in a total mess inside the bag.

briansmithwins
April 25, 2012, 10:52 PM
Another thing about the GYM bag, guns like AKs can go in it diagonally since they fold smaller. The real limit is closer to 29".

BSW

armoredman
April 25, 2012, 11:46 PM
I use the UTG Covert rifle case, kinda looks like a soft sided portfolio, have carried it a few places, as an experiment. No glances or odd looks, nobody seemed to care.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/vz-58%20targets/vz58inUTGbag.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/vz-58%20targets/bagclosedbutnotzipped.jpg

About quality, it's a cheap bag...and I've been using it for about three years as far with no issues. I had the shortest, at 28 inches, IIRC, but the large knuckle on the fgolding stock was too much too close to the limit, and it tore a small hole. UTG replaced it with the longer 32 incher, and it works well.

http://leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=gunca&level1=&level2=&itemno=PVC-MC32B&status=&mtrack=m

Yeah, it's Leapers, yeah, it's cheap, yeah, it works. :) Deployment is NOT laser quick, but it does serve to conceal it's a gun case, also, my rifle doesn't need to be reassembled, just unfolded. Putting some sort of iron on sports team logo or business logo would further cause confusion. :)

Do I need this/use this on a regular basis? Of course not, but it's nice to know, in a state that allows regular citizens to conceal any weapons they want, that it's an available option if things get a little "odd".
Now that GYM -E bag looks like it would be interesting, as my SA vz-58 is a hair over 26 folded...but that price tag is very prohibitive for a non "operator" who doesn't "move in tactical circles".

MichaelB
April 26, 2012, 01:48 AM
I posted this mandolin case earlier for my Yugo underfolder. A tad heavy loaded out, but very discreet.

FrankCastleThePunisher
April 26, 2012, 02:42 AM
Another suggestion instead of the gym bag is the baseball/softball individual equipment bags that you can put the bats(AR15) in the bottom compartment. Dick's carry these bags and the Under Armor and Easton bags work perfectly for the collapsible AR15 guns. They have other compartments for mags and other accessories. Price around $50.00 - $60.00 .

R.W.Dale
April 26, 2012, 02:44 AM
Tag

I've got an AK bullpup (27") in need of a good no bigger than needed case.

briansmithwins
April 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
Full writeup and review with pics on the GYM bag here: http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/packs4.html#tntgym

Like the man says: The reason I don't like rifles concealed in tennis racket bags or skateboard bags is that when carried by the wrong 'looking' person, people notice that something just doesn't add up. The 40-year old guy with a skate bag strapped to his back can look out of place just like the kid in baggy shorts would be carrying a leather briefcase instead of a canvas backpack.

BSW

Motorman2061
April 26, 2012, 05:54 PM
The AK that I have ordered is 25.25" folded, so the max length on the TNT Gym Bag of 26.5 will work.

Now I just wish they had them in stock.

Old Dog Man
April 28, 2012, 12:55 AM
I've never used one, but saw a few hunter's in airports carrying golf bag protectors with their rifles inside. couldn't tell they were going to Canada to hunt or play golf. Neat idea I thought. Al

788Ham
April 28, 2012, 01:02 AM
Yeah, and if you can't find an alto sax case, or your stock isn't a folder, get a trombone case, you'll have plenty of "brass" then!

Sebastian the Ibis
April 29, 2012, 06:42 PM
I like the tennis racquet cases. You can find them at garage sales for peanuts. And nobody is going to bat an eye at one on the passenger seat.

If you want something more professional, get an artists/architects portfolio case:

http://www.portfolios-and-art-cases.com/fg-fac1226.html

They cost a more, but you can wander around with one in a suit or other professional attire and nobody will bat an eye. You can also add whatever labels or stickers are appropriate.

kimberkid
April 29, 2012, 07:04 PM
Bat bag ... I got this one at Walmart, in the clearance isle for $3

It's also large enough for my AR & AUG ... very versatile!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/kimberkid/Toys/P1010590.jpg

Motorman2061
April 29, 2012, 07:53 PM
Great ideas on the artist portfolio and the baseball bat bag!

Inebriated
April 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
A gym bag seems like the best option. Anyone will look normal carrying it.

FrankCastleThePunisher
April 29, 2012, 11:28 PM
The baseball bag is the cheapest route unless you get one of the folding canvas chairs in a carry bag. If you get a large carry bag, it works great for the AR's, but you don't have any pockets for accessories.

ScrapMetalSlug
April 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
I got a soft sided guitar case at a pawn shop here for $8, an AR fits perfect.

Motorman2061
April 30, 2012, 05:16 PM
I got a soft sided guitar case at a pawn shop here for $8, an AR fits perfect.
Nice price! Got a pic?

If you enjoyed reading about "A Quality Discreet Rifle Case For An AK-47/74?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!