M1 Garand - What to look for?

PDA

bcremer
April 25, 2012, 10:14 PM
I have been wanting to get an M1 Garand for awhile now. My financial resources are finally starting to free up and I can start to look for one seriously. This brings me to this post, what should I be looking for when I am trying to find one.

I do not need a match grade rifle. Just something reliable and reasonably accurate.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand - What to look for?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
April 25, 2012, 10:14 PM
CMP Service Grade.

MJD
April 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
If you're looking for a shooter, it is difficult to find a better deal than a Service Grade from the CMP, as previously mentioned. Check out the Garand section of the CMP forums to view pictures of recently received rifles.

Realistically, you can expect the metal components to be in pretty good shape and the wood to have some minor handling damage (if USGI). It may come in a CMP birch stock, but that's not a huge loss if you're just looking for a shooter.

bcremer
April 25, 2012, 10:34 PM
What is CMP?

Tim the student
April 25, 2012, 10:37 PM
Civilian Marksmanship Program. In a nutshell, they sell surplus rifles and ship to your door. There are some hoops to jump through, but they are really not as bad as some make them out to be. Well worth it, IMO.

Jump through those hoops, and thank us later.

TurtlePhish
April 25, 2012, 10:38 PM
Civilian Marksmanship Program, it's a government program that sells rifles to qualifying people. Check out the website, it's cool. They're approved to mail a rifle straight to your house, no FFL required.

Edit: Tim beat me to it.

Tim the student
April 25, 2012, 10:39 PM
Edit: Tim beat me to it.

I love spreading the gospel of the CMP is all. That, and I'm dang speedy.

Ignition Override
April 26, 2012, 12:24 AM
The CMP stores are just east of Birmingham AL in Anniston, and west of Cleveland OH at Camp Perry.

My Service Grade wood might be more dinged and darker than most, but somehow the bore's shine looks like the chrome lining in my Nor. SKS.
A friend who retired from a military marksmanship team picked this rifle, and the bore's condition might be in a higher category.

He might be a really good judge, and won over a dozen Garands as prizes in matches.

MJD
April 26, 2012, 12:50 AM
http://thecmp.org/sales.htm

http://forums.thecmp.org/

http://thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm
Eligibility requirements

Gordon_Freeman
April 26, 2012, 12:51 AM
If you buy one you will end up with at least 2 or 3 more. People can get addicted to those rifles.

Caliper_RWVA
April 26, 2012, 09:09 AM
Check that the front sight does not wiggle. The gas block/sight base is splined to the barrel. While the splines can be peened to tighten a loose sight, it is easier to buy one that is right.

Check that the rear sight is not loose either. Again, this can be fixed with a new rear sight cover/spring if you are set on a particular rifle.

Check the barrel with muzzle/throat gages if you can.

bergmen
April 26, 2012, 06:04 PM
CMP Service Grade Springfield Special (RM1SASSP) my son got for his birthday this past summer ($950.00):

http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/49254/2806682730053667879S600x600Q85.jpg http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/48662/2982471640053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/48734/2581961020053667879S600x600Q85.jpg http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/48097/2574587100053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

This is one superb rifle in every way.

Dan

tk1971
April 26, 2012, 06:43 PM
Bergmen, that is one sweet looking rifle. Looks brand spanking new. $950 is a steal. The real deal for less than a newly manufactured copy.

bergmen
April 26, 2012, 07:05 PM
Bergmen, that is one sweet looking rifle. Looks brand spanking new. $950 is a steal. The real deal for less than a newly manufactured copy.

Yeah, it was everything I could do to not get one myself. But, that is my son's realm while I have the M1A Walnut Scout Squad. We have fun shooting these rifles and trading off. It's funny, my son is about 6'4", I'm about 5'11" so the rifles match our physiques.

Here he is on point looking for wild pigs:

http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/50620/2016250310053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

tk1971
April 26, 2012, 07:45 PM
I've got 2 CMP Service Grade Garands (1 Greek, and 1 US, both Springfield). I also have one CMP M1 Carbine (Inland). My other M1 carbine was not from CMP, but was made by IBM.

I'm 5'7" (67") tall, but that doesn't stop me from shooting my full length M1A, or my Garands (both about 44" in length).

FlyinBryan
April 26, 2012, 11:15 PM
bergman, is that winchester bullet bag in the top right corner those 308 147gr fmjbt bullets?

if so, those are awesome bullets for the m1 garand. pretty much my favorite for target work and general plinking (sitting on 47g of h4895)

greyling22
April 26, 2012, 11:16 PM
http://tinypic.com/r/30ihld4/6

that is my cmp service grade that came a couple days ago. new birch stock, metal in the 95% condition. springfield receiver. Haven't shot it yet.

bergmen
April 26, 2012, 11:36 PM
bergman, is that winchester bullet bag in the top right corner those 308 147gr fmjbt bullets?

if so, those are awesome bullets for the m1 garand. pretty much my favorite for target work and general plinking (sitting on 47g of h4895)

Yes, as a matter of fact they are. I bought 500 of them and have yet to reload for them (just too busy reloading for my other calibers).

That is good to know, I plan to use these for my M1A reloads (whenever I get to them).

Dan

bergmen
April 26, 2012, 11:40 PM
http://tinypic.com/r/30ihld4/6

that is my cmp service grade that came a couple days ago. new birch stock, metal in the 95% condition. springfield receiver. Haven't shot it yet.

Wow, gorgeous rifle there!

Dan

FlyinBryan
April 27, 2012, 12:18 AM
ya, those are some purty rifles.

yes dan, they are awesome for the m1 garand. i bought some hornady 150g fmjbt but found when seated to the cannelure that they are markedly shorter than m2 ball ammo. in fact with the hornadys i had to seat and crimp a good 0.300 short of the cannelure to even get close to the overall length i wanted.

not so with the winny 147g like you have there on your bench. they are very good when brass is trimmed to spec and seated to the cannelure. maybe just 0.020 or so shorter overall length than m2, which i find totally acceptable.... they got hard to find there for a while a year or so back but im happy to see them back on shelves.

they are very accurate when we load them to the cannelure in brass trimmed to spec, loaded with cci l.r. primers and 47g of h4895. actually noticably better than the greek (which has excellent accuracy for mil-surp ammo in my opinion)...... my brother is a little better shot than me and has fired many 8 round groups with them @50yds into a ragged little 3/4" single hole with either of our 2 m1's

great little bullets.

bcremer
April 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
Do these come up for sale often in here? I would love to get one!! I am going to start my paperwork to get one from CMP but would also like the opportunity to possibly trade for one or get one a little cheaper to start with.

Does anyone like the 1903s?

Orlando
April 27, 2012, 07:38 AM
Very doubtful you will find a Garand cheaper than through CMP

dprice3844444
April 27, 2012, 07:41 AM
join the garand collectors association as an affiliate club for the cmp.order a select grade

Gordon_Freeman
April 27, 2012, 11:31 AM
dprice3844444, There are no rifles called "select grade" for sale at the CMP. I suggest service grade for a shooter.

ol' scratch
April 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
If you can go to one of the stores, it is a great time.

I have 5 rifles from the CMP, as they deal in military surplus and not just Garands. 1987 Kimber Model 82 Government target .22 1918 M1917 "American Enfield" 1943 Winchester M1 Garand, 1944 Springfield M1 Garand, 1955 HRA Correct Garand. The 43' and 44' are both service grades and have mirror bores. The HRA is a service special I made a stock swap on to make it correct. It also has a mirror bore. I have picks on a thread I started called "Lets see those Milsurps". Great rifles.

Also, you may want to pick up some ammo and you shouldn't shoot commercial ammo unless you have an adjustable gas plug. Get a bayonet while you are at it. They really are a bargain.

tk1971
April 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
Greyling, nice looking rifle. Do they now ship with that hard case? I received mine in cardboard.

Welding Rod
April 27, 2012, 08:28 PM
Yes, CMP ships the Garands in the green hard case.

mshootnit
April 27, 2012, 08:49 PM
I have had good luck at Gun Broker looking for Garands and also by looking through the CMP forums.
If you can find a nice 5.8 million serial number rifle that has not been shot much its about as close to you can get to a new rifle thats all USGI (albeit post war)
mine is VERY close to a MOA shooter.
Get your M1 garand out and shoot it out to 600 yds. Its amazing how well they hit even at long range.

CZguy
April 27, 2012, 11:26 PM
Very doubtful you will find a Garand cheaper than through CMP

Worth having anyway. CMP is the best deal going.

Hacker15E
April 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
Nothing new to contribute, except for another strong vote for the OP (or anyone else interested in owning a Garand) find a way to qualify for CMP membership and purchase one through their sales program.

They won't be around forever. In fact, they probably won't be around another 5 years.

I tell everyone that will listen that it's their duty as an American to have a Garand!

bcremer
May 2, 2012, 08:50 PM
Well I made the plunge, figured I better get one while they are still available. The paper work was not that big of a deal, but kind of a pain to find all of it. Took me awhile to find my birth certificate. But I am sure it will be worth it.

Thanks for all the input guys!! I will put up some pics when I get it.

Welding Rod
May 2, 2012, 11:14 PM
It's about time! ; )

Good for you. :)

The world would be a better place if everyone were to experience the joy of a nice M1.

Tim the student
May 3, 2012, 01:54 AM
Good, glad to hear it. I'm very confident you will pleased with your purchase.

What did you order? Service Grade Springer?

maq
May 3, 2012, 02:47 AM
Sorry I'm late.

I just registered today, was browsing the forums and ran across this thread. If someone does not feel they need matching numbers, I have found that collectors of the M1's from many states buy from the cmp in lots of 5 to 10. They are usaually looking for a particular serial number or manufacture or cartouche even.

They take what they want and sell the rest which for them, has nothing to do with the bore, the throat or the overall quality of the metal. They are more interested in the numbers and appearance. I have owned five so far that I picked up for a steel. I brought my throat and bore guages and was allowed to examine 10 rifles on there way to gun shows. Many times the stocks are not perfect, but I don't really care, these are very replaceable and it doesnt affect their shooting quality. I've gotten three with nearly perfect bores for much less then I could have otherwise.

You find the collectors on forums and boards. They are more then happy to have customers before the Gun Shows which cost them money and time... They decrease their overhead and can pass their savings to you..

Hope this may help someone..
Maq

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand - What to look for?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!