Should I buy a new ML?

PDA

preachnhunt
April 26, 2012, 11:23 AM
Here's my problem. I am planning on hunting elk this fall with a muzzle loader. Currently I own a Knight inline which has been fine for deer, but it is older and only rated to shoot 100 grains of Pyrodex.
Should I get a new gun like TC so I can shoot 150 gr? I am not as concerned about accuracy ,as my present setup is plenty accurate, as I am about penetration at longer ranges.
What is optimum for elk? Thanks for your responses ahead of time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I buy a new ML?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Voodoochile
April 26, 2012, 11:37 AM
If it's a .50 caliber Knight then you would be fine with the 100 Gr. charge, as long as your accurcy out to 100 yards is consistent & good, you should have sufficient penetration with a good projectile like the Power belt or similar conical or saboted projectile.

.50 caliber can take most anything in the U.S.A. but one thing you may want to do is look up the regulations of the area you are hunting to be sure that it's enough by their regs.

arcticap
April 26, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hornady came out with 2 precision made copper jacketed bore size conicals that weigh 300 and 350 grains which are named Hornady FSB Bullets.
They have been reported to shoot very accurately from a variety of twist rates with devastating performance on game.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/blogs/gear-review/hornady-fpb-muzzleloading-bullets-review

http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal/

Folks rarely if ever need to load over 100 grains of powder when shooting heavier conicals, and often load less than that. The weight of the bullet adds to the penetration and lethal results.
There's always larger powder charges, a larger caliber and another rifle that is supposedly better.
But when I recall the great user reviews that were written about a particular discontinued 375 grain saboted Buffalo Bullet for the .50 that Cabela's use to sell, I doubt that anything could work any better on large game.
There's even heavier weight bore size conicals which some do use for elk hunting with their .54, but load development and their accuracy can always be problematic since paper patching and/or sizing dies are sometimes needed.
I suggest to try to see how you can easily improve the lethal performance of your current rifle before going out and spending a lot of money for another rig that may not deliver any better results than what you already have.
Plus some powders can deliver better performance than others.

mykeal
April 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
The man wants to buy a new gun, for Pete's sake. Help him out here.

Geez.

junkman_01
April 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
Yes, buy a new gun! :p

preachnhunt
April 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
Oh, I AM going to buy a new gun, I'm just trying to decide if I need a ML or can use the money for something else yet to be determined.:D

Acorn Mush
April 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
Oh, I AM going to buy a new gun, I'm just trying to decide if I need a ML or can use the money for something else yet to be determined.

Go for the new rifle!:D Consider a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 caliber if you think the .50 is a tad on the light side. From reading this and other forums, I am lead to believe that a .54 will be more than adequate for any elk on the face of the earth.:cool:

KenHulme
April 27, 2012, 10:06 AM
Geez getta new gun already! You don't need penetration as an excuse if you're a decent hunter. The last elk I shot with a muzzleloader was in Utah, right at timberline, on a game trail through an isolated stand of conifers. I was literally sitting on a stump when a bull and two cow walked by, and I nailed the bull from less than 20 feet. Yes feet.

4v50 Gary
April 27, 2012, 11:43 AM
Parker Hale Muskegon. Shoot a 535 grain minie ball. They dropped horses with them.

72coupe
April 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
The answer to this question is always YES.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/72coupe/COLT025.jpg

Stantdm
April 28, 2012, 09:21 PM
I shoot elk with 75 grains of bp and a round ball (at least when I draw a permit) and have no problems out to 75 yards. I suppose beyond that a conical is better but it just isn't correct in my rifle.

frontiergander
April 28, 2012, 10:13 PM
scrouge 150gr powder, its just a hype the makers try to push. 90-110gr powder is all you will ever need in North America.

dprice3844444
April 28, 2012, 11:41 PM
just pick a good bullet.as frontier put it,90-110 is enough,anymore,and that will just blow out the end of the barrel onto the ground.that rifle you have now,if it meets the states criteria where your going will work fine.decide if your going to use a fat heavy conical,a sabotted jacketed or what.then practice.i have a cva double 50 rifle,50 cal sile hawken,and the newest,knight kp1 50cal bp 209 primer/300 win bbl also.toby bridges leatherwood scope on the 50.

Rem.222
April 29, 2012, 12:17 AM
If it's a new rifle you want then get it. Your Knight will kill an elk just as dead. I personally would not increace powder but bullet weight on elk. Full bore bullet weighing 400gr + like "no excuses" comes to mind as a heavy bullet. Some have loaded 500 S&W bullets with success. Heavy bullets pentrate far better with 80-100gr of powder than lighter bullet with excessive powder charge. If I had an elk tag I would use my Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 with patched round ball and 80gr of fff Geox and use my old T/C ThunderHawk as back up with home cast bullet that I can make work (I'm just starting with it).

preachnhunt
April 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks everybody for your advice. I came to the right place!

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I buy a new ML?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!