Beretta Mod 96 40S&W Inox finish

PDA

loadedround
April 27, 2012, 08:25 AM
I would like to pick the brain of some of our Beretta aficionados regarding the Beretta Model 96 in 40S&W. I have a chance to buy privately a Model 96 almost new in the box with the Inox finish. Is this model discontinued and was this finish (which I believe is stainless steel) a special order from Beretta? Was it made in a 9mm? What would a fair price to pay with one 10 round mag? I was never a fan of the Beretta 9 series, but handled this pistol and I like it. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Mod 96 40S&W Inox finish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ku4hx
April 27, 2012, 09:07 AM
The model 96 has been discontinued but that's true for most of my guns. Sooner or later, if you live long enough, all models will "suffer" that fate. I think it's a fine gun with the last one I looked at priced at $539 at Bud's website. I'd think a private sale would be somewhat less.

Mec-Gar magazines are priced at $30.45 on their website. OEMs seem to run about $38 or so new.

A model 96 was chambered in 9mm. 96A1 I seem to recall; maybe other 96 models as well.

I think "Inox" is Italian for "Stainless" or something close to it. I don't think it's a true finish rather the specific alloy, i.e. stainless steel

cougar1717
April 27, 2012, 12:57 PM
The inox finish was not a special order - Beretta made the 92 series (9mm) and the 96 series (40 S&W) in both the typical black finish and inox. The inox finish does not mean that it is a stainless steel gun - the frame is still aluminum. However, Beretta did make the very desirable and collectable 92 Steel and 96 Steel models.

Walt Sherrill
April 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
As I understand it, INOX is an abbreviation for the Italian term for "inoxidisable" -- or rust resistant. When something metal oxidizes, it rusts. If it is in-oxidisable, it's not likely to rust. In-Ox. INOX.

INOX isn't a FINISH, it's a type of metal -- probably steel in some cases, and aluminum in others. Finishes are applied (plated, coated, added.) INOX is INOX all the way through. <grin>

The places I've looked say the Slides on the 92 INOX and 96 INOX models are steel, and the frames are aluminum. I don't know if they anodize the frames, or not. But stainless steel and aluminum ought to be pretty rust resistant.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Mod 96 40S&W Inox finish" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!