Base came off during sizing

PDA

Sky King
April 27, 2012, 10:05 AM
While reloading 9mm's with a Lee carbide 9mm sizing die last night as I brought the case down the base came off the case which is now stuck in the sizing die. Tried putting the die in the freezer and sticking a wood dowel rod from the top and pushing it out, no luck, putting penerating oil in the die and dowel rod again, no.
Any other suggestions.
Not cost effective to send back to Lee.
Considering buy a new die.

If you enjoyed reading about "Base came off during sizing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cberge8
April 27, 2012, 10:26 AM
For the cost of the die set, buying another one may be the most cost effective option.

James2
April 27, 2012, 10:27 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if you sized another if the second casing would push the first out?

AK47TIM
April 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
Can you take a small needle file and file through the case wall? This should relieve the tension so it will come out easier.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

mjsdwash
April 27, 2012, 10:49 AM
Force thread a screw in and pry it out. Thats not a normal issue, was it the first round on the die? maybe the wrong baseplate. But the screw should work.

Sky King
April 27, 2012, 12:08 PM
Press is a Dillon XL650, and loaded over 200 last night before this happened.
Will try the screw and if that doesn't work the small file. If that doesn't work ordering a new die.
Thanks

Waywatcher
April 27, 2012, 12:38 PM
Good luck! :)

Out of my curiousity, can you list some specifics about the brass? Was it new, range pick-up, wet tumbled, dry tumbled, not tumbled, etc.?

JohnM
April 27, 2012, 12:40 PM
What kinda case lube?

Waywatcher
April 27, 2012, 12:42 PM
With Carbide dies, I'd be surprised if there was any case lube involved.

Steve C
April 27, 2012, 01:56 PM
Call Lee customer service. They'll likely remove the stuck case for you if you send it in.

dprice3844444
April 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
you could clean the inside of the case with wire brush,flux it,plug the inside with something non burning and pour molto lead into the case.than drive it out after it cools.next time inspect your cases more thoroughly for stretch marks

rcmodel
April 27, 2012, 02:08 PM
I have never seen a 9mm case with a stretch mark in all the years I have been reloading.

This must have been a fluke bad case of some kind, and I really doubt it could have been found by looking at it.

I did have some once-fired 9mm brass do this the first time I loaded it though.
I could see one pulling off in a sizing die when I resized them the frst time.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/Split9mmCases.jpg

rc

ranger335v
April 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
I'm not surprised that driving the case out with a wooden dowel rod didn't work but a short length of steel would; a longish 1/4" bolt should do nicely. Ideally, you would have a stuck case remover kit.

When 'no lube' carbide dies became available no one tumbled cases and the surface smoke-bullet lube residue did all that was needed for sizing. The current fad of tumbling so the cases are squeeky cleen changes that, a little case lube is a very nice thing to apply even for carbide dies.

rcmodel
April 27, 2012, 02:21 PM
I took it to mean the case head broke off and left the thin case wall stuck in the die.

Pretty sure if the head & web was still on it, he would have been able to knock it out with about anything.

rc

SlamFire1
April 27, 2012, 02:31 PM
For unknown reasons pulling 9mm cases in and out of my carbide Lee die was tough. It really was like inserting and pulling corks from bottles.

So I lubed the cases with RCBS water soluble lube. Loaded that way using my Dillion 550B. Life became so much better, no bumping powder out of the powder horn, hardly any effort sizing at all.

Shot them that way too. Shoot fine. The pistols run smoother.

blarby
April 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
Is it stuck on/in the pin area, or just in the carbide ring ?

If you can remove the decapping pin assembly.... putting a new case on a dowel and tacking it there through the flashhole with a brad nail would give you the perfect size tapping rod to remove a case.....just push it flush so the brass ends sit on each other, and gently tap away.

popper
April 27, 2012, 03:02 PM
Use an awl between the case body and die body, bend the case in but be careful not to break the carbide ring.

animator
April 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
Take a can of compressed air and hold it upside down, and shoot the liquid "air" into the case. Get it good and frosty, and let it sit a while, then try to tap it out.

j. rap.
April 27, 2012, 03:36 PM
i spray all my cases with hornady one shot lube. Even when using carbide dies. Its fast and easy and i dont need to lube everything very thoroughly when using carbide dies

gamestalker
April 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
Are you saying that that the case head separated from the cartridges body and now the case wall or body is stuck in the die? Or the intact case is stuck in the die?

If your referring to the latter, you should be able to remove the decapping pin and then quite easily tap the case out of the die with just about anything that will fit through the top of the die.

Or insert a small wad of writting paper into the top of the die, making sure it goes all the way into the case to act as a seal. Then completely fill the case and die with regular grease axle grease and use a wooden dowel that fit snuggly through the top of the die and tap with some authority. I've used this method to remove pressed in bearing and pilot bushings on fly wheels with great success. If you can find a bolt that is the same thread as your decapping pin/die threads, just thread that into the top of the die. Just be sure you have the entire case and die full of grease so as to produce maximum hydrolic pressure.

If you can find locate a bearing puller that will fit the application, that may help remove it too?

Are you sure you were using the correct size shell holder?

Or just send it into Lee and let them handle this task they encounter quite often I'm sure.

Are you sure you were using the correct shell holder?

Good luck!
GS

Sky King
April 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
The case was a Federal, range brass. The entire head seperated leaving only the case wall stuck in the die. Have reloaded 10000 in this die with no problem. Have put it in the freezer with no success, maybe I'll try a propane torch next.

rcmodel
April 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
I don't think heating it will help at all.

Did you try screwing a bolt in it like mjsdwash suggested in post #5?

A proper sized thread tap would be even better, but I'm not sure what size that would be.

dprice3844444's idea to flux it and fill it with molten solder would also work.

As would filling it with epoxy and letting it cure.

Any of the methods will give you something attached to it so you can knock it out with a punch, or by screwing the decapper rod down and force it out.

The last thing I can think of is sharpen a chisel edge on a piece of 1/8" brass rod and try to get it started under the edge so you can buckle a sidewall and relieve the "stuckness".

rc

ranger335v
April 27, 2012, 06:26 PM
RC- "I took it to mean the case head broke off and left the thin case wall stuck in the die."

Okay, you're right. I took it to mean a routine 'pulled the rim off" thing.

Use a needle file to cut the brass at the sizing ring and it will be free. You WON'T damage the carbide ring unless you use a diamond file! :D

FROGO207
April 27, 2012, 06:49 PM
You said that it was a LEE carbide die didn't you? You loosen the collet up and drive the pin down and out with an appropriate sized pin punch using a hammer while the sizing die is in the press. The instructions that came with the die tell you how to do it IIRC.:confused: The dies were designed to have the brass removed this way if it gets stuck. I have done this for a few reloading buddies in the past. All the other brands are a pain to get stuck brass out of but not LEE.:) If I am mistaken and the wall only is stuck in the die take a set of needle nosed vise grips and a metal blade made for a jigsaw and cut a couple slots in it and use the awl to scrunch the brass up and it will fall out. You will not hurt the carbide sizing ring with it at all. Put it into the press upside down from the bottom to hold it and work on it.

GLOOB
April 28, 2012, 07:47 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if you sized another if the second casing would push the first out?

This is the first thing I'd try. And if it won't push it out, maybe it would pull it out.

Whenever I get a stuck case from a separation in my .223 rifle, I just rack in a sacrificial round to extract it. Works every time.

bbuddtec
April 28, 2012, 08:09 PM
My money's on Blarby's method.

GLOOB
April 28, 2012, 08:28 PM
The head of a new case isn't "the perfect size" to push out the old case. 9mm is a tapered round with a bigger case head/rim than the rest of the case. Good luck with that.

You can force the case head of a 40/45 case through a LEE FCD with a ram. But that's not going to fly with a 9mm. And the sizing die is smaller than the FCD.

You might try a .380 case, at least. Even there, I bet it's going to be too big. You might get two things stuck in the die. If just the case wall has enough spring to get stuck, imagine stuffing a solid case head in there.

bbuddtec
April 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
sure, i guess the .380 idea, or maybe .32? I guess it would be the awl method next heh.

kingmt
April 30, 2012, 04:15 PM
If your still working on this: I would use another case to push it through. A 38Spl would be helpful & I would lube it. The 38Spl has a nice lip to pull back down.

Hondo 60
April 30, 2012, 04:34 PM
IMHO the best advice is to contact the die manufacturer.
Most likely they'll have you send the die in & they'll fix it.

If it's a Lee die, they charge $4.
Any other brand, most likely they'll fix it for free.

T Bran
April 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
Just set your flairing die to make the mouth of another case the proper size and use it to press it on thru. If it doesnt work a plug of JB WELD overnite will give you something solid to pound on.
T

cheeze
April 30, 2012, 10:08 PM
If the rim pulled out of the shell holder, this is because lee sends a #19 shell holder with their 9mm dies, which is the same holder that the .40 uses. Obviously there is a difference in rim diameters there. That holder barely grabs the rim of the 9mm and if the case gets a little stuck, it will rip past the rim when trying to pull it out. If the entire base of the case actually pulled off, that's nuts. Some of the advice given may help with that. I've never seen that, and can barely imagine how that could happen without ripping the rim first.

fguffey
May 1, 2012, 12:33 PM
push-pull, I make pullers, I make pushers, not familiar to a reloader is a tool called ‘slide hammer’ it is in the puller family, then there is the tap/thread method, screw something into the case then drive it out from the other side, and we all know it is important to protect the integrity of the die.

F. Guffey

popper
May 1, 2012, 02:58 PM
Had a .40 federal (marked FC) case head come off while shooting a while back. Came off just like your pic. Fed had a problem with .40, don't know about a problem with 9mm.

Sky King
May 1, 2012, 11:25 PM
Took a triangle file to the case and made 3 seperate cuts in the case, then took a screwdriver and hammered the 3 sections toward the middle. Put the die in my single station press put a dowel rod down the die and hammered the dowel rod and stuck case popped out. Thanks for the suggestion.

kingmt
May 2, 2012, 06:42 AM
Glad you got it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Base came off during sizing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!