My 2-Stage Mosin Trigger -- Liability?

PDA

Joshua M. Smith
April 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
Hello,

I made a two-stage Mosin trigger. It's not for sale.

I'm concerned about liability.

YouTube vid:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWDitIiapo

Footage of operation is about halfway through.

Suffice to say this is not an advertisement, as the thing's not for sale. I would like opinions as to liability etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Josh

If you enjoyed reading about "My 2-Stage Mosin Trigger -- Liability?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
April 27, 2012, 01:30 PM
This is not a question for youtube or the public forums. See an attorney. And an insurance broker.

Joshua M. Smith
April 27, 2012, 01:34 PM
Cosmoline,

I do plan to. However, operating on a budget, not sure that it's worth it.

But opinions like yours are what I'm seeking, even if it is "see an attorney".

Thanks!

Josh

zhyla
April 27, 2012, 03:33 PM
I suspect "see an attorney" is even a little too vague. You probably want someone with experience in firearm litigation.

Obviously people do sell replacement triggers for various guns, so it must be a viable business, but you'll want your ducks in a row on this one.

longdayjake
April 27, 2012, 04:49 PM
Just buy some liability insurance. Unless you incorporate some design that makes the thing too easy to screw up you won't have a problem. Add lots of disclaimers. In the end, nothing can stop someone from taking you to court. You will just have to show that your product was not inherently dangerous and that you didn't design it negligently.

That said, after paying for insurance my guess is you will end up having to charge more for the trigger than the gun is worth.

Joshua M. Smith
April 27, 2012, 07:09 PM
Hi Folks,

I discontinued all triggers just now.

I'll probably start doing the modifications after I get my FFL for gunsmithing, which is one purpose of the sight business -- to start that.

http://www.smith-sights.com/finn-pinned-roller-triggers.php

It'll happen one day. Maybe not soon, but I'll get them out.

Thanks again for all the answers!

Josh

Cosmoline
April 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
You misunderstand me. I'm telling you don't post these concerns in public. Developing a new product, the last thing you want is a trail of material on the interwebs about how you were concerned someone might do something to hurt themselves with it. Thus, see an attorney as part of your business planning.

Joshua M. Smith
April 27, 2012, 11:23 PM
Comsoline, the thing is that I probably can't afford to do the consultations and the outrageous insurance at this point in the business.

If I did, I'd have to price these outrageously like Huber Concepts etc.

That's all I mean.

Regards,

Josh

jerkface11
April 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
If it's for your rifle and not for sale what liability is there?

Joshua M. Smith
April 28, 2012, 01:36 AM
It was going to be for sale.

Regards,

Josh Smith
Smith-Sights LLC

RPRNY
April 28, 2012, 03:02 AM
Sorry to be negative but as Cosmoline has already pointed out, this is an award in search of a court. You now have a paper trail that the dumbest plaintiff's attorney could turn into an insurance settlement, except that you will now never get insurance unless Lloyds will under-wright it and you would pay ridiculous premiums. By repeatedly expressing your concerns about liability (in public and on the record), you have given a trial lawyer the preponderance of evidence needed to prove liability.

"Mr Smith, were you aware that your product was inherently dangerous?"

No. Because it isn't.

"May it please the Court, I'd like the jury to see this YouTube video and submit into evidence these statements made by Mr. Smith on an internet firearms forum"

Not good.

carbine85
April 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
You said it's not for sale so why are you concerned about liability?

Joshua M. Smith
April 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
Carbine,

It was going to be for sale.

Josh

If you enjoyed reading about "My 2-Stage Mosin Trigger -- Liability?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!