Mauser quandry

PDA

Ed1163
April 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
I have a problem. I have 2 M48 Mausers and recently bought a Turkish Mauser. 1 of the yugos has always been intended for my brother to use for hunting. I plan to give him 2 8mm rifles. The problem is I don't know hich other rifle to part with. The Turk has a peep sight mounted keeping me from seeing all the markings, but I believe it to be a '38. Also, it has a Polish marked bolt. The Yugo I've had a while and enjoy shooting.
Recommendations?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser quandry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tahoe2
April 28, 2012, 02:16 AM
I have two yugo's(M24/47 & M48a) and a german (M98k).
The German is a duffle cut GI bringback with a laminate stock.
The Yugo M24/47 is sporterized (by me), the Yugo M48a is in military dress.
They all shoot great; I would hate to give up any of them, so I bought my son a Spanish M95 mauser.
But in your case I would give up the turk! Love them Yugo's !!

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
April 28, 2012, 06:30 AM
I have a Turk, M1903/38, which should be similar to yours, and I couldn't be more pleased. I've had a rust issue with it due to unfortunate climate circumstances, but hoping to see if it still shoots like it did. I'd hate to have to modify it.

What it comes down to though is your choice. It's about how you feel about yours, l wouldn't be giving mine up.

Bushpilot
April 28, 2012, 10:14 AM
I was in a similar situation last year with a Yugo, a Turk and a German (sounds like the beginning of a joke) (my Swedish mausers aren't going anywhere and were never in contention) and wanted to make room for some other guns so I parted with the Turk. It had a bayonet but was in the worst condition, although not really all that bad, and still shot quite well. If your Turk doesn't have a matching bolt and has been drilled for a sight that would be the one I'd part with if it were me.

SaxonPig
April 28, 2012, 11:36 AM
If you want to give your brother a gun then buy a gun he picks out. That way he has the gun HE WANTS and not one you decided you could live without.

Ed1163
April 30, 2012, 11:17 PM
Actually Saxon, he does want at least the first Yugo and is interested in either of the other 2. He's left it up to me which I give. :)
I think I'll give him the Turk since it's already drilled and has a peep sight mounted.
Besides, I like the way the Yugo feels and handles when shooting. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser quandry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!