the major ar-15 receiver makers fyi

PDA

dprice3844444
April 27, 2012, 06:10 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50947

If you enjoyed reading about "the major ar-15 receiver makers fyi" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert
April 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
What follows the link is a comparison of manufacturer products for AR receivers. Next time please include a brief explanation of the link or it will be locked/ deleted.

JustinJ
April 27, 2012, 06:48 PM
Maybe i missed it by it doesnt say anywhere how he knows the claims of who makes whose receivers to be true?

proven
April 27, 2012, 07:40 PM
it should probably be noted that the original post was from 2007. some companies have probably changed who they contract with and there are likely other players now as well.

Robert
April 27, 2012, 09:13 PM
it should probably be noted that the original post was from 2007
Well there you go. Take it with a grain of salt. Still looks to be some decent information but you are correct, lots can change in 5 years.

mshootnit
April 27, 2012, 09:58 PM
the title of the thread as I read it described the link fairly well. Of course I am not a moderator but I see no foul. I am glad it was not blocked or deleted because it was a valuable link in terms of info for me

taliv
April 27, 2012, 10:10 PM
i think Robert was trying to say we generally prefer a bit more information so readers will know what they're getting before they click a link that redirects them off site.

no big deal.

68wj
April 27, 2012, 10:17 PM
Well there you go. Take it with a grain of salt. Still looks to be some decent information but you are correct, lots can change in 5 years.
Be sure to vote in the USA Today 2nd amendment poll too. :neener:

The quality, price, and availability of receivers today is very nice.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
April 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
S&W now does all in house, they were previously manufactured by who ever made Stag Arms. I read a big write up in the AR Guide about S&W buying all the equipment to produce their AR from start to finish. This all started when they began with the melonite and the Sport model.

dprice3844444
April 27, 2012, 10:27 PM
brief explanation like what?

WNTFW
April 28, 2012, 12:50 AM
FWIW
I see a fair amount of lowers. One thing I have noticed is an inconsistency depending on when a lower (of a given manufacturer) was manufactured. The 2 main areas are anodizing varies in appearance and the seams along the centerline in front of the magwell.

madcratebuilder
April 28, 2012, 08:03 AM
The info in that link is extremely dated and incorrect. If you have a older AR it's good for ID'ing but not for any current production rifles.

Robert
April 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
i think Robert was trying to say we generally prefer a bit more information so readers will know what they're getting before they click a link that redirects them off site.

That is what I was trying to get at. Sorry I was not more clear.

The info in that link is extremely dated and incorrect.
Knowing that it might be a rather large task would you be willing to point out and refute the incorrect material? I think it would be of great value to the members of THR.

Tirod
April 28, 2012, 10:47 AM
If there's a point to it all, the link isn't that valuable anymore, and those interested in the AR would be better served ignoring it, and researching what is on the market now. The OP hasn't done anyone any favors, any more than a car dealer handing you an five year old sales brochure for the Mustangs on the lot.

The colors offered won't even be the same.

Posting up another list, however well researched, would just be another snapshot of the market. It doesn't really tell someone what they need to know - which is that they should spec the rifle to support what range and target they have to shoot. Not what parts are more cool than the other.

As far a lowers on the market these days they are mostly a commodity, made by a few and machined by a few others, with everyone's art work on the magwell. Pick the one you like and can afford, move on. A $100 difference in price can't be seen in accuracy or reliability - it's the barrel and upper that do that. All a lower does is hold the trigger parts and a magazine while attaching the upper to the buttstock. It could be fiberglass reinforced nylon and get the job done.

Which is why FN, Beretta, and Remington use it on their new battle carbines. Forged aluminum is really overkill.

dprice3844444
April 28, 2012, 11:01 AM
forged aluminum increases the strength of the aluminum.by drop forging using a stamping die,the basic receiver is produced,less waste,and less machining is needed as compared to just a straight piece of aluminum billet.the main examples of added strength needed is the front pin holes for the front pivot pin.w/out forging,these would be a major breaking section.another stress area would be the barrel thread area,where torque could be 30-80 lbs for the barrel nut.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forging

taliv
April 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
tirod, i mostly agree with you, but there is some difference in lowers due to different features offered, and also the quality of the machining. for instance, i bought two lowers last year from one of the cheaper boutique mfgs and built guns on them, and it turned out they were machined pretty sloppy and the lower parts kit wouldn't work correctly. i had to modify the selector/pin to make it work. kind of a bummer. i'd have sent it back but i'd already duracoated it before assembly, so...

anyway some do offer major features like ambi controls, and the little button that can adjust the tension between upper and lower, and some minor features like having the springs captured by set screws instead of the grip and receiver end plate. also, flared mag wells, and several other things.

some people might want them (or think the want them) or not. would be good to know before we buy them though... a chart would be helpful

If you enjoyed reading about "the major ar-15 receiver makers fyi" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!