Scope Range Finding at X power

PDA

Robert101
April 28, 2012, 12:35 AM
I was messing around with my Nikon 6-18X40MM Buckmaster scope doing some mil dot range estimation. I had always read that you must use the scope’s preset range magnification (mine is 12) if you want to “range find”. Well it works great at 12 power but I also found out that by using proportions at other magnifications I can arrive at the same results. I get the same accurate readings by using the following:

At 6 power you must 2X the mildot reading for the formula.
At 8 power you must 1.5X the mildot reading for the formula.
At 18 power you must use .666X the mildot reading for the formula.

Yes, it does add another step in the process. Hey sometimes I don’t want to use the 12X and want to stay at 10 or 8. It seemed to work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope Range Finding at X power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Driftertank
April 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
That's why i dislike second-focal-plane rangefinding scopes. OK for benchrest, where you have time to make sure your settings are right and do the math for range and holdover/adjustment, but in the field, it adds a lot of potential ways to mess up the shot.

I just KNOW i'd see a target, range it, holdover where IP should be....then proceed to lob the round into the next county because i had a brainfart and left it at the wrong power setting, or forgot to carry the one on my conversion calculations. But then i'm an idiot, and i know it. lol

Robert101
April 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
Yep, I understand your point. Maybe next time I'll spend a little more money on a scope and give the 1st focal plane a try. For now I have a good work around.

Driftertank
April 28, 2012, 07:44 PM
Only problem with FFP is the cost. I have a Vortex Viper PST FFP on back-order. It was one of the few reputable FFP's on the market for under a grand...

I wish there were more fixed power rangefinding scopes between the under-$100 range chinese stuff and the over-$1000 range ACOGs and their ilk.

taliv
April 28, 2012, 08:51 PM
You're lucky that works for you. Most magnification markings are sort of estimates

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope Range Finding at X power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!