Sig P226 Elite
Taurus 24/7 OSS
Colt Commander 1911 9mm
Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm
Ruger SR9
Steyr M9
FN PRO
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is most ergonomic of these 9mms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JimStC
April 28, 2012, 06:02 PM
Sir,
You are the King of poll posts, all of which are interesting. How do you think up all of these questions? Props to you!

el Godfather
April 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
I just try to keep things interesting. Adding poll to question often results in active participation.
Thank you for the compliment.

sigarms228
April 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
What ??? No Walther PPQ ?

theQman23
April 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
WHat? No springfield EMP 9MM? No smith and wesson 39's? 59's? No makarov's? I'm taking my ball and playing in another sand box. :)

theQman23
April 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
seriously and honestly, of the ones on the list for me it would have to be the colt commander in 9mm, and of the ones not on the list it would be a tie between the walther PPQ, (they are going to catch Glocks I believe) and the first ever 9mm produced in American, the S&W 39-2

Calhoun
April 28, 2012, 06:35 PM
CZ 75B. At least for me.

History.Doc
April 28, 2012, 07:02 PM
CZ 75B. At least for me.

Me too.

beatledog7
April 28, 2012, 07:46 PM
"...most ergonomic?" Interesting question, when you put it that way.

Please pardon the following excursion to the land of English usage....

What the OP apparently means is, "which is most ergonomically efficient." That would mean something like, "which one reacts with the human being in a way that feels most natural and causes the human being the least adjustment of his or her normal human tendencies to operate as intended?"

So, the answer depends on which human being is interacting with the gun. For me, of the ones I've shot, it's the CZ 75. But even that great-handling gun isn't exactly ergonomically efficient for me, a lefty. I have to make adjustments.

Americans, mostly due to hearing it as an advertising buzz word, have taken to misuse of the term ergonomic in exactly the same way as we have treated the term "aerodynamic." Scientifically speaking, a shoebox is aerodynamic in the sense that it causes a reaction in air (or any gaseous fluid) as the two achieve relative motion.

When an advertiser calls a car "aerodynamic," his words are obviously true, but meaningless, because every solid object is aerodynamic.

What he presumably means is that the car is aerodynamically efficient; i.e., the reaction it causes in the surrounding air (primarily in the form of drag) as it moves through that air is low compared to some standard he wishes to keep to himself. It is very subjective, you see.

Nushif
April 28, 2012, 07:50 PM
Beatle, you made my day. 8)

Wishoot
April 28, 2012, 07:59 PM
CZ75
Me too.
Me three...

ichiban
April 28, 2012, 08:20 PM
The answer will vary from person to person

Several of those mentioned feel good in my hand and shoot well, others don't. For me the "Oh yeah!" one is the DW Guardian. YMMV.

jdh
April 28, 2012, 08:23 PM
The CZ-75 (not B) was my choice until I got the M&P9. The DA trigger reach on the CZ is just a little longer than The M&P. Having said that, if I were to go anywhere in the world outside the US the CZ would be the one going with me.

FMF Doc
April 28, 2012, 08:39 PM
WAY too subjective of a question. I know some that love the ergos of glocks, and others who swear by the 1911 platform. I, personally, find the Sig 226 to be the closest thing to an extension of my body that man has made. It isn't ergonomic, it is symbiotic.

wild cat mccane
April 28, 2012, 08:45 PM
Sorry kids. This is a complete waste.

Just by looking you can tell a Walther P99/PPQ and a HK copied P30 have the most sculpted grip. Does this transfer to most ergonomic? yes.

meanmrmustard
April 28, 2012, 08:52 PM
Me too.
Me 3. Unless there's more besides me, otherwise, the CZ is it to a T!!!

Edit: Okay, me 4!

meanmrmustard
April 28, 2012, 08:58 PM

Just by looking you can tell a Walther P99/PPQ and a HK copied P30 have the most sculpted grip. Does this transfer to most ergonomic? yes.
Lots of threads here are a waste. Buts its Godfather's, so it's all in fun.

SRH78
April 28, 2012, 09:24 PM

Swing and a miss on this one. There is no one best grip, only the best for a given individual and a sculpted grip is only good if it fits your hand. As for being a waste, this is simply to answer the OP's curiosity of what other's like. If you consider it a waste of time, why are you wasting your time posting in this thread?

For me, I like the M&P the best but also like the CZ 75, 1911, and PX4. I don't like the Glock 19 because it doesn't fit my hand at all. The grip is too square and too short. My brother, on the other hand, has one and loves it.

To each his own. Find what works for you and enjoy it.

Kiln
April 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
My XDM and CZ75 both fit my hand like a glove and everyone seems to feel the same. Several of the options are very comfortable guns. Can't say which is better, I think it mainly depends on you preference of steel vs polymer frames.

MrDig
April 28, 2012, 09:39 PM
Simply because you left Hi-Powers of the list. To me My Hi-Power is the absolute most comfortable of any of the Nines I have ever fired.

BBDartCA
April 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
How can you responsibly vote on this if you have not held each weapon? Well, anyway I voted for the CZ75.

YANKEE2500
April 28, 2012, 11:26 PM
I'll go with the M&P9, which I haven't shot or held but I have a 40c and it handles & points very naturally for me.

The Lone Haranguer
April 29, 2012, 08:36 AM
I could not vote in the poll. This is too subjective to give an opinion for anyone but myself. In other words, what fits and works well for me may not for someone else. And I haven't handled or shot several of the guns on the list.

Still, I would rate the Colt Commander (I assume this Dan Wesson is the same type of gun) very highly. Although it takes more effort to do it, and was not made that way by design, it is the original "modular" handgun. By changing grips, triggers and mainspring housings (which form the grip backstrap), you can adjust it to fit any hand. The controls are perfectly placed for my thumbs and fingers, and it balances and points well. I would love to have another if I could find a good - i.e., reliable - one.
The M&P is very "ergonomic" for me; I have even called it a "better-feeling Glock." :D
The CZ75 is only ergonomic for me in a decocker model and with thinner grips.
The Beretta PX4's thumb safety is far too small and high on the slide for my thumb to reach.
The Ruger SR9 is a player; it has a pretty slender grip for its size and capacity.
The Springfield XD is a good gun; the rental full-sized .40-caliber I shot performed OK, but didn't really excite me.
The SIG P226 is much too large, both in the grip and trigger reach, for my hands.
My personal Glock 19 is not a Gen4, but a 3. I have had it for over 12 years now, but other guns - notably the M&P - have eclipsed its "ergonomics" since then.

Ankeny
April 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
I can not really say. There are two guns on the list that I have not had the opportunity to shoot. Of the remaining firearms, I prefer the CZ75 and a 1911.

schmeky
April 29, 2012, 11:09 AM
Without a doubt, a CZ-75. The trigger reach can be corrected.

sm
April 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
Colt Commander 1911 9mm

BHP is another, but is not on the list.

doubleh
April 29, 2012, 11:24 AM
Since I have never handled all the guns listed I can't absolutely pick ONE. Of the ones I'm familiar with the 1911 is best to me. The Taurus 24/7 OSS is almost as good as is the Ruger and S&W. I've never handled a Glock that I would be happy with.

NG VI
April 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
"...most ergonomic?" Interesting question, when you put it that way.

Please pardon the following excursion to the land of English usage....

What the OP apparently means is, "which is most ergonomically efficient." That would mean something like, "which one reacts with the human being in a way that feels most natural and causes the human being the least adjustment of his or her normal human tendencies to operate as intended?"

So, the answer depends on which human being is interacting with the gun. For me, of the ones I've shot, it's the CZ 75. But even that great-handling gun isn't exactly ergonomically efficient for me, a lefty. I have to make adjustments.

Americans, mostly due to hearing it as an advertising buzz word, have taken to misuse of the term ergonomic in exactly the same way as we have treated the term "aerodynamic." Scientifically speaking, a shoebox is aerodynamic in the sense that it causes a reaction in air (or any gaseous fluid) as the two achieve relative motion.

When an advertiser calls a car "aerodynamic," his words are obviously true, but meaningless, because every solid object is aerodynamic.

What he presumably means is that the car is aerodynamically efficient; i.e., the reaction it causes in the surrounding air (primarily in the form of drag) as it moves through that air is low compared to some standard he wishes to keep to himself. It is very subjective, you see.

QFT.

el Godfather
April 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
Cz is doing well albeit all steel pistol

JoelSteinbach
April 29, 2012, 05:13 PM
CZ75B hands down

Cosmoline
April 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
So much of it depends on the user's hand shape and shooting style. For me the single stack pistols such as the P225 or Walher PP are the most ergonomic by far.

Kiln
April 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure why but the grip of the CZ 75 is found to be nice and comfortable by alot of people with different sized hands. It fits my hand well but I have medum-large hands too.

The only things I really don't like about the CZ 75 are that I have to adjust my hands to activate the slide release and the mags feel kinda cheap.

browningguy
April 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
Browning HiPower.

ExTank
April 29, 2012, 08:54 PM
I voted P99, but with a few caveats:

1) The S&W MP9 is pretty much the exact same gun. A (very) slightly different build, but the same.

2) H&K P30 is also pretty much the same gun, for twice the price.

Serenity
April 29, 2012, 09:54 PM
My P226 comes to my hand and points itself naturally after a pretty low round count. I have small hands, long fingers. A buddy who has one is a big guy, and although I haven't studied his hands, I'll bet they are bigger than mine. He has the same experience; the guns feels like it jumps into your hand out of the holster and lines itself up for a shot. I am pretty accurate with the dual action first shot, too, so I don't think the trigger reach is too long.

Fishbed77
April 29, 2012, 09:57 PM
What ??? No Walther PPQ ?

Same pistol/ergonomics as the Walther P99, for all practical purposes. Just a different trigger group and mild aesthetic changes.

That said, the the P99/PPQ has the best ergos of all the pistols in this poll.

mbopp
April 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
Another vote for a CZ75B, followed closely by the S&W M&P 9.
Glocks just aren't comfortable for me.

Fishbed77
April 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
I voted P99, but with a few caveats:

1) The S&W MP9 is pretty much the exact same gun. A (very) slightly different build, but the same.

2) H&K P30 is also pretty much the same gun, for twice the price.

The S&W M&P-9 is a completely different pistol than the Walther P99. No aspects of it's design is shared with the Walther P99. You are thinking about the now-discontinued SW99, which was a licensed copy of the P99 made by S&W.

The H&K P30 is also a completely different pistol (being a hammer-fired DA/SA pistol, as opposed to the unique striker-fired DA/SA P99). However, the P30 did heavily copy the ergonomics of the P99.

wickedsprint
April 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
No BHP or Beretta M9? Probably the most ergonomic 9MM models made.

April 30, 2012, 02:48 AM
Wow, I can't believe the HK P30 doesn't get many votes. It would be my pick. Have handled all of the pistols listed (except the 9mm 1911), and none of them came close to the HK P30 in terms of ergonomics for me.
Btw, is the 9mm 1911 thinner than the .45 1911?

el Godfather
May 1, 2012, 09:12 AM
I see that gen4 Glock didnt impress much in ergonomics.

ForumSurfer
May 1, 2012, 10:04 AM
I see that gen4 Glock didnt impress much in ergonomics.

I feel there are other more ergonomic choices, others with better trigger reach and others that don't require me to shift my grip when changing mags.

However, the shot timer and the targets tell me I run the glocks better so go figure. I've got most all of the gen4 9mm's and I've owned the m&p pro 5"...I just like running the glock better despite it being less ergonomic and the ugly duckling.

Red Cent
May 1, 2012, 12:07 PM
Smith & Wesson M39.

elrowe
May 1, 2012, 12:09 PM
It would have been unfair to all of the rest if he'd put the EMP in the mix...

Ben86
May 1, 2012, 12:40 PM
For me it's the CZ75 hands down. That gun feels like it is sculpted for my hand. Too bad it's so heavy, otherwise it would be my EDC.

Cz is doing well albeit all steel pistol

Hold/shoot one and you'll understand.

kevin7769
May 1, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ergonomic: 2. designed to minimize physical effort and discomfort, and hence maximize efficiency

OK, my answer, based on the definition I found, is simple, it is different for every single person. There are so many choices not listed.. For me it is a toss up between Beretta 92 fs Compact and Browning High Powers.. I like how both fit my hand. On this poll list, HK P30, though haven't shot one, feels best in my hand of the ones on the list.

eldon519
May 1, 2012, 02:50 PM
Browning Hi Power

rajb123
May 1, 2012, 03:18 PM
..ergonomics is in the hand of the beholder....(no pun intended)

dcarch
May 1, 2012, 06:43 PM
Without question my answer would be the CZ 75. Even the "massive" CZ-97 is very good.

el Godfather
May 1, 2012, 07:44 PM
I find my HK P30 to ergonomically peferect for me

girvin02
May 1, 2012, 07:44 PM
Another vote for the Browning Hi Power

JRH6856
May 2, 2012, 01:05 AM
Browning Hi Power.

Auto426
May 2, 2012, 01:52 AM
I can't tell you how well a gun is going to fit your hand, because your hands are not the same as my hands. This is the sort of thing that you can only determine for yourself by picking up and handling each of the guns in your post.

That said, for me it's a Hi Power. The grip is relatively slim for a double stack, it points very naturally, and the trigger reach feels just right.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which is most ergonomic of these 9mms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!