How many firearms is too many?

PDA

PATH
January 30, 2003, 12:43 PM
Is it possible to ever have too many guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "How many firearms is too many?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JerryN
January 30, 2003, 12:49 PM
I have asked myself this same question. About 10 years ago I wrote a program that would calculate the number of guns it would take for me to have too many. The program is running via distributed processing on a dozen Cray Super Computers but it hasn't reached the right number yet.

I figure in another couple decades it might count high enough. :D

Chipperman
January 30, 2003, 12:51 PM
You own one too many when the purchase of the last one pushes you into bankruptcy. :o

pbman
January 30, 2003, 12:54 PM
You own to many guns if you can't afford to oil them.

Greg L
January 30, 2003, 12:58 PM
Too many is probably somewhere when the quantity reachews the high 5 figures or low 6 figures. Or when you need a roaming perimiter guard just to keep an eye on the place.

Greg

jjmorgan64
January 30, 2003, 01:09 PM
As long as I can still fit in my house, I'm happy.

course I could always get a bigger house or go on a diet;)

45R
January 30, 2003, 01:15 PM
Try asking Uncle Sam's Military that question. :)

Kentucky Rifle
January 30, 2003, 01:17 PM
This is a hobby. You've still got to take care of your wife, children, house, cars...all that other stuff. I once knew a guy who got kinda "hooked" on a model train hobby. He spent WAYYYY too much money on "his" hobby. Incredibly, he allowed his model train hobby to ruin his life.
I thought hard about posting something like this. It sounds so...weird, I guess. There's more. It gets weirder and weirder. He got himself fired from a good job, but he started showing his wife his previous paycheck stubs and telling her he had made deposits. He just got up each morning and went out like he was going to work. His wife wrote checks for the bills. Naturally, he was caught in a few weeks. Then, weirdly, he told his wife of 20+ years that he just couldn't support her and the THREE children anymore, and walked out the door. The last time I saw him, he plumb IGNORED me. Even when I got right in his face and said "Hi"! It felt like I was invsible to him, even though I've known the man for over 10 years. So, I voted "yes".

KR

tetchaje1
January 30, 2003, 01:20 PM
Kentucky Rifle makes some good points.

...given that financial security was never an issue, I'd say the more the merrier, though. :)

4v50 Gary
January 30, 2003, 01:30 PM
Two ways to define too many.

You can't close the door to your gun safe (or storage area).

Your platoon goes AWOL on you and you can't recruit.

Besides, by us owing all these guns, they aren't in the hands of criminals. So, it's our contribution to public safety. :)

Chaz
January 30, 2003, 01:33 PM
You can own too many firearms???

This thought frightens and confuses me :uhoh:

Grant
January 30, 2003, 01:33 PM
No way you cant own to many guns or knives.

spacemanspiff
January 30, 2003, 01:56 PM
its a trick question!

Zundfolge
January 30, 2003, 01:59 PM
I said NO! ... Just don't ask my wife this question :uhoh:

PATH
January 30, 2003, 02:00 PM
Kentucky Rifle,

That poor fellow sounds in need of some professional help. I hope he gets it. I love my guns but I would not allow it to get around to destroying my wife and family. All kidding aside it sounds like he is suffering from a mental illness. I hope it all works out for him. The trains may have just been a sign of what was to come.

Schuey2002
January 30, 2003, 02:17 PM
I voted.. No!

Tamara is living proof of this..:D

kalibear45
January 30, 2003, 02:39 PM
I want to have at least as many as my age :D but it seems like I'm getting older by the month these days :evil:

Destructo6
January 30, 2003, 02:53 PM
When you find guns in your safe that you didn't know you had.

That's my limit, anyway.

Russ
January 30, 2003, 02:53 PM
As the saying goes, I have more than I need and less than I want. every time I get a new gun I tell my wife that this is it. She knows I am a liar and she accepts it. Guess I did OK there.

I almost have her talked into getting a CCW.

BerettaNut92
January 30, 2003, 03:09 PM
I consider too many when I feel obligated to practice and be proficient with them all, but have too many to do so.

Boats
January 30, 2003, 03:10 PM
I tend to think there are two broad archetypes. The first are the "collectors" or the "hoarders." These are the folks who start with just one firearm, and as their pursuit of what best suits them or simply piques their curiosity at the moment develops over time, rather than discard the older pieces to acquire the newer ones, they keep them. Whether this is done out of "practacality,""philosophy," or "sentimentality," doesn't matter. Some people just seem unable to let things go.

The other group, the one I tend to fall into are "minimalists" or "perfectionists." These folks are the "one pistol, one rifle, one shotgun" types. They too can burn through enormous sums of money, but they do it through cash+trades in a pursuit for what best suits their evolving "firearm philosophy." I went through Berettas, some 1911s, some various polymer pistols, some revolvers, and now only have a couple of 1911s. The pistol style hunt has ended, now I am trying to figure out who is going to build my "favorite 1911." However, a Glock 20 with full caps (if the ban sunsets) or a Para 10mm conversion is whispering to me. I went through a similar rifle cycle, settling on a CMP Garand I am restoring, but I still want an AR for a different niche. Right now I am going through a "magic sword" shotgun hunt. The one for folding knives seems to have ended with a Benchmade 710 Axis Lock. The fixed blade hunt ended with Busse Steel Heart II. I spend way more time and money searching for firearms I want to buy, (except the Garand I have never bought sight unseen), than I do on actual purchases. it took me two years and constant trips to various dealers while handling and field stripping over 40 pistols to buy just one Springfield Champion.

Ultimately, I will probably wind up with no more firearms than I could comfortably carry with one trip to the Jeep. I will never have more than me and my wife can carry in one trip.

Some people have 10 cars, some have two, even if they could afford 10. I guess that is how I am with firearms.

There is of course some overlap, but not too many people own five versions of the same vehicle, though it seems common among firearms owners to own multiple copies of the same firearm.

10-Ring
January 30, 2003, 03:11 PM
You can't have too many, but you might reach a point where you don't get the same kind of benefit from them.

King
January 30, 2003, 03:32 PM
You might own too many if you don't know that one or two are missing!!
:scrutiny:

Too many guns?....no way...

Hkmp5sd
January 30, 2003, 03:55 PM
NO

You can never have too many guns, too much ammo, too many friends, too many books or too much money.

Russ
January 30, 2003, 03:59 PM
King,

It's the Alzheimers I tell you!

WhoKnowsWho
January 30, 2003, 05:33 PM
As long as it doesn't 'cause bills like electricity and gas to go unpaid. Essentially, as long as it doesn't turn into a pure addiction, where you are stealing stuff just to buy guns.

But hey, if you have enough money every 3 months to get another gun, go ahead! Just make sure to buy a safe sooner rather than later. (Note to self, follow advice about safe)

Jim V
January 30, 2003, 05:33 PM
Perhaps, you have reached the "too many" level when you are moving stuff around and find a pistol/rifle/shotgun that you have no idea where it came from. Not there yet, but I did have to stop and think about the Beretta .22 last week.

Peetmoss
January 30, 2003, 05:38 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as to many firearms but I bet the ATF does:cuss:

DAL
January 30, 2003, 06:04 PM
All kidding aside, if you havn't mastered at least one of the guns you own, then you own too many guns. Buying more and more guns is a lot more fun (and easier) than learning to shoot well. I've seen many a person at the range with an assortment of firearms who can't shoot.

Now, before I'm accused of hypocrisy, I, too, fell into the trap of buying rather than mastering for a number of years. I am now trying to reform my profligate ways and actually learn how to shoot better.
DAL

cratz2
January 30, 2003, 06:24 PM
OK... I admit that I am a dissenter. I think that 5, 10, 20, 50 or more is no problem if they are C&R guns or different rifles and pistols and revolvers, or even if they are different calibers and sizes of Glocks :rolleyes: But... if one person that isn't in the market of buying and selling guns for profit has 300 or 400 SKSs and a several hundred cheap handguns, then it might give me cause for concern. What is the intention? I'm not saying that the 2nd Ammendment doesn't protect him as much as it protects me, and there is no reference in intent, but I think anyone that looks at my collection, other than a fascination with 1911s :D , that has experience with gun collections would think mine to be reasonable. Different tools for different purposes. Heavy rifles, light rifles, couple shotguns, different calibers and platforms of handguns. A well rounded collection. I'm sure some would call an arsenal, but it's surely not.

If this makes me a bad person, or a liberal, or a closet anti-, so be it. If they showed someone on the local news with a collection similar to mine and a variety of ammo for both those guns and a few others, I'd think 'poor hapless bastard, he got in some trouble'. No big deal, but I'd be pissed at the waste of taxpayer money going to bust him if he was otherwise clean. If they showed the same guy with 500 SKSs and 100 long Mosins and 500 HiPoints and 50,000 rounds of ammo, just for those guns, I might be a little concerned.

SteyrAUG
January 30, 2003, 06:31 PM
I have no idea how many I currently own, around 250+ and I somehow feel incomplete. :D

Jason Demond
January 30, 2003, 06:41 PM
You can NEVER have enough!:D

riverdog
January 30, 2003, 07:12 PM
As long as you an afford your hobby without sacrificing your family or your health, you can't own too many. If you find yourself running short of funds for the necessities while still funding your hobby, you might possibly have too many. So I also voted YES, because I know it's possible.

Me, I'm a hoarder; I've sold/consigned a few firearms but by-and-large I still have most of them. Those that were sold mostly didn't work for me, although a few were sold due to perpetual low-on-cash/cash flow problems of my youth. These days it's mostly about having firearms I really like and not seeing much out there that I really feel drawn into buying. I will probably find myself buying another 1911 within the next year, but it will be either a special semi-custom or a full custom. Other than that my funds are going into refinishing or otherwise upgrading some of the fine firearms I already own.

ojibweindian
January 30, 2003, 07:20 PM
Everything in moderation. One's limit should be determined by how much one can afford.

m.i.sanders
January 30, 2003, 07:29 PM
As long as I can afford them, ( I can stop buying anytime I want... really I can), I don't have enough. If I weren't buying guns, I'd probably be blowing my money on something else like food.

JeepDriver
January 30, 2003, 07:31 PM
As others have said it is a hobby.

I buy guns with extra money. After all the bills are paid I'll look at Quicken and it says there is money left and the wife isn't asking for something important, I'll go shopping.

Butthere is no such thing as to much of a good thing!

CAP
January 30, 2003, 07:36 PM
You can't have too many unless you don't have room to store them. :D

And as long as the bills are paid... on time.

sixgun_symphony
January 30, 2003, 10:53 PM
What kind of question is that? :scrutiny:

Braz
January 30, 2003, 11:12 PM
One MILLION guns,

(whisper whisper) What? Really!

One BILLION guns! ;)

556A2
January 30, 2003, 11:18 PM
When you trip over rifle stocks in the middle of the night, you got too many

Daguerre
January 31, 2003, 06:05 AM
Damn... to some of us, this gun buying thing can easily become an addiction. There is definitely a psychological component to the buying that many of us engage in. Of course, as long as we don't endanger ourselves financially, it isn't going to be too big of a deal, but dang! I know I have "tendencies" when it comes to buying more guns. I have to watch myself. Fortunately, I have the resources to do so without endangering my economic life too much, so far, but I can see how the potential for trouble is there! I sort of like the # of guns for # of years of age standard. By that measure, I can still buy 22 more this year! :D

Guyon
January 31, 2003, 06:55 AM
Yes. . .

When oil stocks fluctuate around your maintenance schedule, you've got too many guns.

When you trip over a stack of M1 Garands in your bathroom, you've got too many guns.

When you consider filling your swimming pool with Hoppes #9 because you can get it cheaper in bulk, you've got too many guns.

When everyone at the monthly gun show knows you by name AND sends you a Christmas card, you've got too many guns.

When Brownells is on your speed dial, you've got too many guns.

When a magnetic compass simply won't work in your house anymore, you've got too many guns.

When you find yourself moving chicken soup out of the cupboard to make room for pistols, you've got too many guns.

When you provide your bank info to your local dealer for convenience's sake, you've got too many guns.

When the foundation on your house begins to crack, you've got too many guns.

When bathing becomes optional because you needed the tub for your shotguns, you've got too many guns.

Kahr carrier
January 31, 2003, 07:14 AM
You never have to many.:) :neener:

Kentucky Rifle
January 31, 2003, 09:32 AM
Yeah~He went 'round the bend, alright.
Nuts.

KR

sturmruger
January 31, 2003, 11:58 AM
About a year ago I sat down and made a master list. I put all the guns I would like to own on the list. It was about 25 guns. I currently own 11 guns and am no were near to having all the differant models I want. My mistake is I find one model that I really like, then I go and buy several of the same gun in differant calibers!!! I never took this into consideration when I put together the master list!

I plan to someday have a room to keep all of my firearm stuff in. I really want to buy one of those safe doors that you can purchase. I will call it the Vault and keep my entire collection in there.

Freedom in theSkies
January 31, 2003, 01:58 PM
What, are you kidding?:D

Smoke
January 31, 2003, 02:16 PM
Absolutley.

Time. Needs. Family. Finances. All play a part. So it is definitley possible to own too many guns.

But no one should have the right or ability to tell YOU where that number is. It's very arbitrary from one person to the next.

I don't have enough yet. (but i'm getting closer all the time)

10-Ring
January 31, 2003, 02:37 PM
I was talking to a guy recently about this very subject. His thinking...God only gave him 2 hands & two eyes. He figured anything more that what he can shoot proficiently at one time is too much. He only has one handgun (a SA revolver), one rifle (a lever action) and a 12 ga shotgun. He says he's almost mastered all 3:rolleyes:

MonkeyMan
January 31, 2003, 03:10 PM
I've been agonizing over this question for a couple of days now and the best answer I can come up with is "one more than I have". I'm safe for now but I did promise a friend to buy his Russian M38 Mosin.:uhoh:

Line Rider
February 1, 2003, 11:50 AM
You can't have too many guns,but...you can have too few safes.

Cosmoline
February 1, 2003, 12:32 PM
I start getting annoyed if I have too many firearms around. For one thing, I don't have the money for a big safe. Moreover, I'm not really a collector. I like to have perhaps five firearms at any given time. I constantly buy, sell and trade so I can try out various firearms. I've probably owned about fifty firearms in the last five years. There's NO WAY I could have afforded that if I'd tried to keep them all.

One good thing about firearms, they retain their value pretty well.

redhead
February 1, 2003, 02:02 PM
This is a hobby. You've still got to take care of your wife, children, house, cars...all that other stuff. I once knew a guy who got kinda "hooked" on a model train hobby. He spent WAYYYY too much money on "his" hobby.

You, of course, are right. I voted no, but it's kind of tongue in cheek for me. I was wanting another .45 auto, had one all picked out, but decided against it. We have a house that needs maintenance, and my husband's old car needs to be replaced. I already have more than I can shoot in an afternoon at the range, plus I have to clean them all when I get home.

When my mom was visiting me last fall, I had gone to pick up a S&W 5906 that I'd purchased. She said, "Don't you have enough guns?". Of course, I said no, you can have too many. Then she said, "Well, they'd better not try to take our guns away from us!" Go figure.

Bob Locke
February 1, 2003, 03:59 PM
I went the same path as sturmruger. I sat down a handful of years ago and made a list of calibers and the actions in which I want them. I've added a couple of selections to that list as my needs/wants have changed, but it still numbers less than 20.

So, for me (not you), it would definitely be possible to own too many. And I have a slightly compulsive personality so I have to watch myself in general, but especially in areas where I have a lot of "want to" (such as firearms and golf).

riverdog
February 1, 2003, 05:09 PM
I have a slightly compulsive personality
Does that ever sound like me. It was way to easy to fill the safe. I am going to be very discriminating with regard to any further purchases.

DAL
February 1, 2003, 07:57 PM
One good thing about firearms, they retain their value pretty well.

You must be a better salesman than I, becuase I can't believe the cheap suckers I've run into when trying to sell guns in the past. Even though I take good care of my guns, and they've been fired very little, people seem to expect you to give them away. 10-15% off the new price, plus the fact of no paperwork, should be PLENTY of incentive. Oh well, let the fools pay full retail.
DAL

MountainPeak
February 1, 2003, 08:50 PM
Kentucky Rifle, kids grow up, wives can be divorced and houses sold. So, the REAL answer is you can't have to many. I don't have time to actually shoot my guns anymore. All my free time is spent going to gun shows!:D

chaim
February 1, 2003, 09:10 PM
One gun is too many, no one should own guns.

Ok, ok, all kidding aside- I guess what is too many depends upon the individual.

For some too many means when the wife says enough. For others, too many is when they can't afford more. Some people only really want one or two guns and too many is more than that. For some, they want guns for very specific purposes (a hunting rifle, a .22lr rifle, a .22lr pistol, a carry gun, a HD gun) and too many is more than they feel they need.

Someone said they thought the ATF probably thinks one can own too many. So true. During the DC sniper stuff I got my call from the FBI. They were concerned because I bought "an awful lot of guns recently"- I had bought less than 10 in the past year and I had only bought 17 total in my life (starting a year and a half to two years before).

For me too many is when I no longer have room for them all. Wait, I'm wrong- that only means it is time to move.:evil:

4thHorseman
February 1, 2003, 10:43 PM
I thought about this question for a while too. I'm near 50 years old now and have near that many sidearms.
In reflecting, I can recall I did not own a single firearm before Bill Clinton took office. Then I can no longer have my fill. When ever I think that is it, no more firearms, another style or great buy pops up.
I live in Virginia and the state has helped to curb my addiction. It is a one gun a month state. So I guess that slows the prosess down some what. GRRRR! Does make me a little irritated though.
I have purchased guns before just because they where a great by. Fired them once and put them away and never took them out again except to oil them occationally.
I guess when the last shovel of dirt is thrown onto my grave that will be enough guns.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "How many firearms is too many?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!