Video - The Great Western 2 Revolver

PDA

duelist1954
April 30, 2012, 10:02 AM
This is just a short video about E.M.F.'s Great Western 2 revolver, which is one of my main match pistols.

This video really illustrates why I'm a bottom of the pack CAS shooter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ98g2GxGlg

If you enjoyed reading about "Video - The Great Western 2 Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
April 30, 2012, 11:43 AM
Beauty.

Hammerdown77
April 30, 2012, 01:20 PM
Hey Mike, I really enjoy your videos. They played a large part in my getting into cap and ball shooting, and black powder shooting in general.

Couple of questions.

What load are you using in your black powder 45 Colt loads? I've been shooting 35 grains of FFg Goex under a 255 grain bullet here lately, but I'm always interested to see what other folks are using.

Second, I've seen a couple of pictures of the Pietta SAA clones on the Dixie Gun Works website, and it looks like the grip has the Pietta "tail" on it like their 1851 Navy does. In your video though, the grip looks correct. Have you seen any recent Pietta clones with the grip frame "tail"?

EDIT: Looks like the tail might only be on their brass framed SAA clones. I bet that's because it's the same brass frame they put on their 1851 Navy. Looking at some pictures of Pietta guns with the steel frames, the grip looks correct.

arcticap
April 30, 2012, 01:57 PM
About the front sight being off, at the close distances of cowboy competition it probably doesn't even affect you.
But if you tried loading bullets of different weights or profiles, couldn't that possibly change the point of impact or do you think that any other bullet will probably always shoot to the same spot on the left?
Have you ever tried experimenting with that?
That might be an interesting topic for a future video, that is showing folks how trying various bullets may help to zero in a sight for a particular distance.
It would still be interesting to watch you in action even if trying that didn't solve the problem.
However you may be able to at least obtain some degree of improvement without needing to turn the barrel, and I'm curious about how much of a change in impact could be attained simply by switching bullets. It's possible doing that could make the problem worse as much as it could make it better.
But even if part of the purpose is only to show us that the possibility exists, how else would you be able to find out if switching bullets could work without doing some experimenting? :rolleyes:

towboat_er
April 30, 2012, 10:34 PM
Great looking shooter. Thanks for posting.

BHP FAN
April 30, 2012, 11:01 PM
I saw your video on the Webley. I have both the Webley, and the Enfield [mine is really an Albion] and like those old guns a lot. Thanks!

duelist1954
May 2, 2012, 09:20 AM
Hammerdown, I use a 255 grain Big Lube bullet sized .454 and a 2.2cc dipper of 2Fg Goex powder...about 35 grains...

You are right about the Pietta tail on the brass grip assembly...same as their '51 Navy grip.

BCRider
May 2, 2012, 12:09 PM
But if you tried loading bullets of different weights or profiles, couldn't that possibly change the point of impact or do you think that any other bullet will probably always shoot to the same spot on the left?
Have you ever tried experimenting with that?

Altering the bullet weight and charge has worked well for me for elevation changes with my fixed sight guns. But for a gun hitting to one side or the other then something needs to be twisted to fix it. Bullet weight won't make that much difference or no difference at all for this sort of windage issue.

Or the shooter's hold is somehow shifted so it puts a side load on the gun and trigger. But Mike is a seasoned sort of shooter and does well with other guns. So it comes down to the idea that the barrel needs to be turned to adjust the windage of the sight.

Hammerdown77
May 2, 2012, 01:26 PM
I have seen changes in load (even with the same bullet) change windage. Couple of inches tops. It might be worth experimenting a bit, although with black powder there's probably less of a range to experiment over.

If it's a few inches of windage you are trying to correct, sometimes the best solution is to file a little bit off the rear sight notch on the side you are trying to move the impact toward. It doesn't take much. This also has the benefit of opening up the rear sight for more light on either sight of the front blade. On a a case colored gun, a little touch up on the filed notch with some cold blue makes the fix almost undetectable. It's something that's a little more suited to the DIY'er than turning a barrel (which is not hard to do, but it is hard to do precisely to get the right amount of windage correction).

TheRodDoc
May 5, 2012, 08:51 AM
The common practice for the SAA is to lean the front sight, Not rotate the barrel. Why would you want to go to all the work of re machining the barrel and turning it in some, Then have to deal with the extractor screw hole in wrong place. (like trying to move it a half hole or less) When all you have to do is grab the sight blade and bend it.

Using bullets that are to small for the chamber throats can cause it. Letting hot gas melt the bullet, part of or one side or another of the base before it enters the bore.

If you enjoyed reading about "Video - The Great Western 2 Revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!