Never buying Speer Gold Dot again

PDA

bsctov
April 30, 2012, 02:14 PM
I had bought a box of Speed Gold Dot ammo for my ruger lcp, and half the rounds did not fire, and the ones that did felt like they were charged light. The primers had a firm impression from the firing pin, and the gun fired the federal ball and pmc ammo flawlessly.

When I contacted Speer about it they basically told me sorry, better luck next time.

"At any point in the future this happens please retain the example problem cartridges and factory packaging so it can be sent into us for testing and inspection.

Austin @ CCI/Speer"

Very poor customer service, will not be buying again. Beware

If you enjoyed reading about "Never buying Speer Gold Dot again" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jon86
April 30, 2012, 02:20 PM
I don't understand. Did you throw away the cartridges that did not fire? I've never had a problem with speer ammo, and use it in all my defensive firearms.

Drail
April 30, 2012, 02:22 PM
I have used Speer products for many years and haven't had any trouble and the Gold Bullet is a very good design. But ALL of our ammo manufacturers seem to be having serious issues the last few years with quality control standards. I have seen Winchester ammo with primers inserted backwards or cases with no flash hole. And they all seem to not be very concerned about all of the setback problems that so many people are having. I'm glad I started reloading 30 years ago. The only factory ammo I buy is rimfire and it's pretty lousy quality too. CCI/Speer uses about the hardest primers on the market so if there is anything less than a full power firing pin strike you'll get misfires. And I think I have read of other people having light strikes with that specific gun. Try Federal. They're the softest and easiest to ignite primers.

bsctov
April 30, 2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah I had the range owner there standing next to me and he offered to safely dispose of the defective rounds and I was so pissed off I didn't think to retain them to send back. Although, I'm not sure I'd want to transport cartridges with a struck primer either.

A lesson learned I guess.

nbkky71
April 30, 2012, 02:33 PM
deleted..

joecil
April 30, 2012, 02:46 PM
I use Speer Gold Dot ammo as my first choice in SD ammo. Never had a problem with it since it came on the market years ago.

gun addict
April 30, 2012, 02:51 PM
Seems like the kind of response from a company i'd give or would expect to receive in this situation. They cant just give out free ammunition to anyone calling claiming that they've got a few defective bullets you know? Have you tried the ammo in other gun? Or perhaps tried to refire the round? Is your pistol clean and the firing pin channel free of debris?

bsctov
April 30, 2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah I mean I cant say I blame them but when I had federal range ammo that was missing primers and had powder spilled all inside the box, they sent me a new one no questions asked.

Live and learn I guess

Certaindeaf
April 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
Well, at least you didn't buy 10,000 of them. I'd be tempted to seat some CCI primers into a few empties and see if they go bang. If they don't, your pistol is screwed up/not right.

kingkeoni
April 30, 2012, 03:19 PM
Every pistol has its favorite ammo and least favorite ammo.

Our department goes through thousands of rounds do Speer Gold Dots every year and I've never seen, had or heard of any problems with any of the rounds.

JustinJ
April 30, 2012, 04:10 PM
I've always been very pleased with Speer Gold Dot and it is my CCW choice of ammo.

Erik M
April 30, 2012, 04:15 PM
Sorry to break this to you OP but that's a candid answer that you will get from any reputable ammo manufacturer when you tell them you have a box of lemons. Speer and Federal will always be my top 2 CC ammo choices.

Buck Kramer
April 30, 2012, 05:39 PM
Never had any problems with them, run like a swiss watch in my BG380...

2zulu1
April 30, 2012, 05:43 PM
How did the ammunition perform when 'properly' disposed of?

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
April 30, 2012, 06:01 PM
Yeah I mean I cant say I blame them but when I had federal range ammo that was missing primers and had powder spilled all inside the box, they sent me a new one no questions asked.

Live and learn I guess

OP, If I remember correctly, you sent Federal pictures of the problem ammo which is why they had no questions as you had clearly pointed out the problem with the box of ammo. As someone else stated, you can't just call a company and say "this box of ammo was faulty" and expect them not to ask for some sort of proof. There are just too many free loaders in the world that would take advantage of that trust and try to get free ammo.

bsctov
April 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
I think you've got the wrong guy, I never posted about federal before today. So many people defending Speer it'd seem that some of the replies in this thread were made by shareholders or something. :neener:

thump_rrr
April 30, 2012, 07:02 PM
I reload all of my own ammo but can understand purchasing SD ammo.
If I were to call a manufacturer with an ammo problem I would at least have the lot number of the ammo in question at my disposal and a photo of the unfired rounds with struck primers.

I have had several problems with a particular reloading press and when the customer service person seemed hesitant to replace something I offered to email him pics or a video of the problem.
He immediately sent out replacement parts.

Scout Dork
April 30, 2012, 07:20 PM
My thought was did you shot it with any other brands at the same time?

I shoot my LCP, flawless, then carried it in my front pocket. I get a little dirty sometimes. Went shooting again, gun wouldn't fire, the slide was very hard. Lesson learned, clean your/mine gun, keep your pockets clean. That's my experience. Not blaming the gun or Ammo.

Normally I buy different brands, pretty much if they are on sale.

I didn't post in the steel case thread. I've shoot nothing but cheap Blazzer steel in my XDM9, in the 800-1000 round with no FTF. No signs of wear when I clean it.

I didn't post in the .22 Remington thread. But I had the same experience, stop buying those.

My SO went out and shot her .40, she bought a box of Winchester white box, fired all. Had to tell her about the thread about how some are not pressed in correctly.

I think you will find a thread about all ammo, and how crappy or great it is. Not saying your box of Speer wasn't bad, just make sure you can eliminate any other source. If you are angry about the cost for defective rounds, you could always send the bad rounds back and ask for exchange. I don't think there costumer service is bad for wanting their "defective" product. Is it a pain, yes, but that is the process.

Zerstoerer
April 30, 2012, 08:20 PM
Speer GD has been the duty load of a Federal LE agency that I can not disclose here.
I have witnessed thousands of rounds fired through the worst looking magazines without a failure.
As soon as that agency switched to Federal the failure rate went up.
Go figure.
Your results are meaningless unless you tried a different brand of ammo under the same conditions.
Most likely your gun.

oneounceload
April 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
I have shot sand reloaded Gold Dot bullets for years, never an issue - Speer makes some very good ammo; while you may not buy them again, I certainly will without reservation

Happypuppy
April 30, 2012, 10:00 PM
I am a n00b to the forum, and I am interested if the primers were they dimpled? I had a rifle once that was doing somthing similar and the firing pin was hanging up

holdencm9
April 30, 2012, 10:51 PM
Yeah Speer Gold Dots are my go-to round of choice in my LCP and Kahr CW9...never had any issues. Sorry your luck has been so bad.

It is the best balance of quality and cost IMO.

I keep DPX in my Beretta at home but that's too expensive to semi-regularly practice with in the CW9.

Jenrick
April 30, 2012, 11:17 PM
Never had any issues with anything made by Speer. Out of the roughly 10K or so pistol rounds in various calibers I shoot a year (yep 10K a year), I only get 4 or 5 fail to fires. Even those usually fire on restrike, leaving me with usually 1 or 2 (if that many) rounds that fail to fire at all. Now this is using large commericial manufactures ammo (Win, Rem, Speer, etc.) not cheap gun show reloads. If you had multiple bad rounds, contacting Speer was the right thing to do, but you should have held onto them so they could see what the problem was.

-Jenrick

ApacheCoTodd
May 1, 2012, 12:35 AM
C'mon, You're absolutely being unreasonable if you aren't backing up your claims (that's all they are at this point) with the company. What do you expect them to do, just send ammo or money to everyone who makes such a claim?

Hell, I haven't shot Speer Gold in a long time and I could just call up and cry foul.

Just another: *your peeve company here* has lost a customer for good.... where's mine... the world owes me... complaint.

Oh, and I'm not a share holder, just someone who has been on the receiving end of unsubstantiated claims as a manufacturer.

Owen Sparks
May 1, 2012, 12:38 AM
Never had a problem with any Speer product.

bsctov
May 1, 2012, 01:09 AM
Just another: *your peeve company here* has lost a customer for good.... where's mine... the world owes me... complaint.

I'm not sure if you feel this way and you think everyone is just like you or something along those lines.... but I was simply stating that I received better customer service elsewhere, and was making this thread to let others know what to expect. I think your personal attack not only violates the rules of this board, but significantly undermines the purpose and intent of my original post. And to everyone who's blaming my gun, The Speer ammo was after i had successfully shot about 100 rounds of federal .380, followed by the defective speer, and then I was able to successfully fire 50 rounds of prvi partizan .380, so if you still think it's my gun, well....cool.

coalman
May 1, 2012, 03:07 AM
I've had two HSTs that would not chamber (search for "HST defect"). Better not buy those either... "buyer beware". Some have had issue with Winchester, too (search for "winchester ranger defect"). So, those are out I guess. Plus, Glocks blowup and 1911s always jam. Options seem to become limited quickly based off internet feedback. I run Gold Dots in 9mm and .45acp in Glocks and 1911s.

tomrkba
May 1, 2012, 05:20 AM
It couldn't possibly be the gun.

May 1, 2012, 05:46 AM
When I contacted Speer about it they basically told me sorry, better luck next time.

"At any point in the future this happens please retain the example problem cartridges and factory packaging so it can be sent into us for testing and inspection.

Austin @ CCI/Speer"

Very poor customer service, will not be buying again. Beware
Don't see any poor customer service here. Sorry.

Davek1977
May 1, 2012, 06:21 AM
No one is attacking you, just saying that without proof of any defect, not many companies are going to be shipping out free replacement ammo. If you are going to complain about a defect, evidence of the defect is usually required to have an item replaced, not a stranger's word

Flopsweat
May 1, 2012, 07:27 AM
OP, the folks asking if you fired more than one brand through the gun are trying to help you troubleshoot the issue. The ones who are telling you that you cannot generally get a refund based on your word alone are trying to help you understand how warranties work. These are two different issues. They are not out to get you.

I believe you when you say the ammo failed. I believe you when you say that other ammo worked in your gun. I do not believe that you carefully read and understood the posts that told you why you should not expect to get replacements for the defective ammo.

If you're now thinking of accusing me of insulting you, please re-read paragraphs 1 and 2 of this post slowly and with an open mind.

HadEmAll
May 1, 2012, 07:09 PM
The first 100 rounds fired through my LCP were Speer 90 grain Gold Dot JHPs. All I could find at the time. They shot so well I ordered 500 more, and have fired 400 of them through my LCP, and newer BG380 and P380. It is the only ammo of many types that has been completely reliable in my P380.

I'm wondering if that box of yours had been mistreated somehow, exposed to WD40, high temperatures, etc.

I shoot Gold Dots in .380, 9mm, .40, .45ACP, .38, .357 mag, and the lowly .25, and have had perfect results.

BUT...........a few years back, there were large quantities of 9mm Gold Dot ammo sold on the open market as "not suitable for LE duty" due to an unspecified problem that some thought was hard primers, some thought was flaking of the nickel coating on the brass. It was sold cheap in bulk by many online ammo vendors. So it can happen.

HadEmAll
May 1, 2012, 07:20 PM
A couple of years ago, I had a quantity of Remington .45ACP ammo that was chronographing less than I thought it should.

I called Remington, talked nice (as in didn't bitch), and they sent me a shipping label to return the remaining 200 rounds. They replaced it with 250 rounds of equivalent product, along with a nice letter of apology.

I realize Speer is a different company, but as already stated many times here, they need the product to examine.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
May 1, 2012, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure if you feel this way and you think everyone is just like you or something along those lines.... but I was simply stating that I received better customer service elsewhere, and was making this thread to let others know what to expect. I think your personal attack not only violates the rules of this board, but significantly undermines the purpose and intent of my original post. And to everyone who's blaming my gun, The Speer ammo was after i had successfully shot about 100 rounds of federal .380, followed by the defective speer, and then I was able to successfully fire 50 rounds of prvi partizan .380, so if you still think it's my gun, well....cool.

So far I have seen no one get out of line with you. The fact is, without proof to the company, their hands are tied. If they sent "replacement" ammo to every Tom, Dick, and Harry that just called in and said "I had a failure" then they wouldn't be in business very long. People have a tendency to take advantage of such things. If that is indeed what they said to you, then I would have to say they were polite and to the point without the "run around".

I am guessing that your point of the post is to say they have poor customer service when in fact they have excellent customer service. Basically, you are trying to downgrade a company for not taking you at your word when you should have, and easily could have, kept the faulty rounds and provided proof for them. I am sure they would have been more than happy to replace a defective box of ammo. But without proof of failures, they can't. Pretty simple.

wrs840
May 1, 2012, 07:28 PM
A lot of people seem to think "warranty" means "just call the factory and complain and you'll get a free replacement by overnight shipment", especially if you're angry about it.

Doesn't usually work that way.

TenRingGuns.com
May 2, 2012, 12:23 AM
Bad batches happen now and then.

Gold Dot is the only ammo I'd ever use. It what I used on patrol and what I use now.

skoro
May 2, 2012, 08:59 AM
Gold Dot is one of my favorites and I've never had an issue with it in any caliber that I use. But even good quality products will occasionally turn out a less than good batch.

Drail
May 2, 2012, 09:15 AM
Actually it could very well be a problem with the gun. I have seen LOTS of guns that will fire hundreds of rounds with Federal and then fail to fire as soon as it is fed ammo with CCI/Speer primers. All of my competition guns will fire Federal primers all day long but will not work reliably with CCI/Speer. This is very common anytime someone has relaced the mainspring with a lighter one. But we really don't have enough info to make any kind of intelligent assessment.

ChCx2744
May 3, 2012, 11:12 AM
I've personally never had any trouble with Speer Gold Dots. I like using my old carry loads to fill up my extended mags.

coloradokevin
May 3, 2012, 01:47 PM
Not to sound like a spokesperson, but Speer Gold Dot has a long-standing reputation for quality, and is used by many police departments. It's too bad that you didn't retain a sample to send in to them for analysis, in case there is a production problem on a larger scale (oh well, hindsight is 20/20).

I will say that my department probably shoots through at least 100,000 rounds of this stuff each year, and we have had good success with it.

Incidentally, Federal and Speer are both owned by ATK (that's not to say the ammo is the same, but the same parent company produces both brands).

If you enjoyed reading about "Never buying Speer Gold Dot again" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!