Scope options Winchester 94

PDA

SouthernWake
April 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
My friend and I are looking for a solution in mounting a scope to his Winchester 94 to be used for hunting. The problem is it is a top ejection gun and additionally holds family value and am not looking to drill the receiver. Are there any options out there? Possibly a scout style scope setup? We were discussing if a machine shop could build a clamp that would mount to the barrel and mag tube that a scope could be mounted to. Please throw out some ideas and opinions.
Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope options Winchester 94" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Abel
April 30, 2012, 07:22 PM
You are talking about a scout rail that mounts into the rear sight dovetail slot. That is not gonna be stable enough by itself to mount to. The XS scout mount uses that slot and the front two holes on the receiver where a scope would go. If you use the Wild West Guns scout mount, you have to drill holes in the barrel. Both of those options are preferable to the side mount that requires three or four holes to be drilled onto the left upper side of the receiver.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/accessories.html

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=scopemounts&cID=Scope%20Mounts&pID=scopemounts

DeadFlies
April 30, 2012, 11:10 PM
I have a post-'64 model 94 also. It is my deer rifle and would really really like to put some glass on it. But after much research it seems that there is no way to mount a scope without making a beautiful rifle look completely ridiculous. There aint no easy way to put a scope on a M94.

Mine actually has the barrel tapped and drilled for a scope mount and I tried it for a while but it made the rifle clumsy, awkward, unbalanced and ugly as sin. So I took it off. (I never saw any freaking deer anyway :cool:)

I have been looking into a Williams peep sight since mine already has those nifty holes in the side of the receiver; or if your rifle is a pre-'64, a Skinner barrel-mounted peep might work well also.

It aint perfect and there is no magnification but IMHO it sure beats turning beauty into a beast.

stan rose
April 30, 2012, 11:23 PM
I have peep sights on my 94s and have never wanted for anything more. Popping clay pigeons at 200 yards is not a problem in most weather conditions, and that is about as long a shot as I would care to make with a .30-30, or .32 win. special. By the way the clays are laying stationary on the berm at the range, not flying through the air as one of my friends thought when we were talking about it.

CraigC
May 1, 2012, 09:25 AM
Put a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on it, learn to use it and call it done.

SwampWolf
May 1, 2012, 02:38 PM
Not only "done" but well-nigh perfect in terms of the "right" sights for the diminutive Model 94 carbine. Any scope on a Winchester Model 94 will detract from the little carbine's best attribute: great handling/pointing in brush or heavy timber. Just my subjective opinion.

ford8nr
May 1, 2012, 02:49 PM
I have a side mount that didn't require drilling any additional holes. Used existing holes and different screws. Problem is the scope is offset and causes BAD cheek weld...actually NO cheek weld. You have to lift your cheek off the stock to see through the scope. Never could get used to it so I went back to iron sights till I bought my 308 bolt gun.

adelbridge
May 1, 2012, 11:02 PM
The 94 is only going to go up in value. Putting a scope on it is going to wear bluing and drilling and tapping are sacrilegious. Buy a $400 Marlin with angle eject if you wan to put a scope on a lever gun.

shiftyer1
May 2, 2012, 02:01 AM
I have a side mounted scope on my truck gun. It just uses longer screws and existing holes.

jr_roosa
May 2, 2012, 01:22 PM
I pulled the side mount off mine and couldn't be happier. I can get better groups with the iron sights than with the scope and terrible cheek weld. Maybe if you could find a good pad for the stock, but I couldn't find one I liked, and I really didn't like the idea of all the junk hanging off the side of the rifle.

The peep sight would be much better than a scope.

-J.

Texan Scott
May 2, 2012, 03:42 PM
I'm liking the idea of a new 3030 with a rear peep sight... but what would you do about the buckhorn over the barrel? take it off somehow, or just leave it, useless but still there, like an appendix?

SwampWolf
May 2, 2012, 05:11 PM
Drift it off and replace it with a "slot blank" to fill in the vacant dovetail slot. Blanks are made by companies like Williams and Marble and are readily available at businesses like Brownells or Midway.

CraigC
May 2, 2012, 09:09 PM
+1 for the dovetail blank.

shiftyer1
May 3, 2012, 01:49 AM
I agree about the bad cheek weld with the side mounted scope. I'm having a buttcuff made that will have a little pad for recoil and also a cheek pad. Also gonna have a few loops for ammo on the other side. Sounded like a good idea, haven't got it yet so I have no Idea how well it will work.

Sav .250
May 3, 2012, 08:30 AM
Try Williams Sights. They have scope mounts for that purpose or maybe a peep-sight. :)

kg7il
May 3, 2012, 09:42 AM
I like the M94 with the Leupold Detacho and M8-2X (ER).
Check this thread for the ad page,http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=311.0
and search ebay (I found some listed).

Works, Looks and Feels good !

CMC
May 3, 2012, 03:25 PM
I have Puma model 92 with the Wild west guns mount and a leupold Scout scope.
I works really good I also have the quick release mounts so I can still use the sights if I need to by quicklytaking the scope off.

d2wing
May 3, 2012, 09:14 PM
I also have a Side mount that uses different receiver screws. I have also seen barrel clamp mounts for 94's.

Beak50
May 4, 2012, 07:56 AM
If the gun is a beater who cares but if it is a nice gun I would go with the peep sights.If you gotta scope it, just do it right.I leave the 94 I have without a scope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope options Winchester 94" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!