Quality 17HMR at good price: where?

PDA

arthury
April 30, 2012, 08:54 PM
Where is your favorite online store to get CCI 20 gr GamePoint ammo?
I have just acquired a Savage 93R17FVSS and would like to try out some recommended ammo for this rifle.

Application: range targets practice and varmint hunting

If you enjoyed reading about "Quality 17HMR at good price: where?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
j. rap.
April 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
i don't shoot the 17 hmr but midway has the ammo in stock for $13.49 for 50 rounds

TexasPatriot.308
April 30, 2012, 11:38 PM
midway usa.

2ndtimer
May 2, 2012, 01:23 AM
Try here:
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/gamepoint-small-game-rimfire-ammunition-0052-jacketed-soft-point-2375-rdbx-p-73746.html

If you are willing to buy in bulk, they beat Midway's price. I have purchased from them several times with complete satisfaction.

Sniper66
May 2, 2012, 10:54 AM
Just looked at Midsouth Shooters Supply and they have Hornady 17g V-Max for $10.45 for a box of 50 and it is listed as in stock.

303tom
May 2, 2012, 10:57 AM
Midway or Wal-Mart................

mr.trooper
May 2, 2012, 11:33 AM
$13.49 for 50 rounds

So does walmart, and there is no shipping fee. They carry a few different bullet types all for the same price.

Midsouth Shooters Supply and they have Hornady 17g V-Max for $10.45

Midsouth is a great company to work with. $10 is actually cheap enough to offset the fees if you buy several boxes at a time. That is a good deal.

j1
May 2, 2012, 11:36 AM
G M often has sales on things. I scoffed up a bunch of 17 HMR ammo there for $9.98 per box about six months ago. I have not seen it cheaper around here. No shipping fees either.

NCsmitty
May 2, 2012, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't buy a bunch of one type until you try them and determine how the different bullet types and weights shoot in your rifle.

I found that the 17gr Hornady V-max shoots much tighter groups than the 20gr versions in my NEF Sportster single shot, but the 20gr is still respectable, and the thicker jacket of the 20gr is not as explosive as the 17gr. Much better when hunting for pelts or edible game, if you are so inclined.

NCsmitty

Furncliff
May 2, 2012, 01:27 PM
Walmart is a good place to start, since you may well find they have a variety. When you find the one you want try...
http://ammoseek.com/

or

http://www.ammoengine.com/

OR

http://gun-deals.com/ammo

I buy all my ammo on line. The big difference you will find is the shipping. Sellers like Midway will generally have higher prices but better shipping rates. It can get confusing trying to come up with the TRUE lowest price.

CraigC
May 2, 2012, 01:30 PM
It's all premium quality ammo, there is no cheap .17HMR option. You might want to look at Cheaper Than Dirt.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?sort=priceLow&catid=488

So does walmart, and there is no shipping fee.
Don't forget to factor in sales tax. A whopping 9.75% where I live.

Dr.Rob
May 2, 2012, 01:31 PM
Sportsman's Warehouse used to have a great variety of 17 HMR.

It's been easy enough to find locally that I haven't bought any online.

Coyote3855
May 2, 2012, 02:11 PM
I agree with NCsmitty. We even shoot the same rifle. I've had couple of failures to fire with Remington, so I stick with Hornaday.

show_me_2nd
May 3, 2012, 11:02 AM
Best price I've seen for Hornady 17 Gr. VMAX was 12.99 / 50 at a local gun show. It was the same day I bought my 93R17GV (first rifle, first .17HMR) and I only bought one box. Wish I had bought more , might have gotten a bulk price.

Cabelas has a bulk sale right now, 10 boxes Horn 17Gr V-MAX for 129.99.

CraigC
May 3, 2012, 11:07 AM
I've had couple of failures to fire with Remington, so I stick with Hornady.
It all comes from the same place.

Cabelas has a bulk sale right now, 10 boxes Horn 17Gr V-MAX for 129.99.
Did you check my link?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2H83170-1.html

show_me_2nd
May 3, 2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks CraigC. Just got back from the local Cabelas, for some reason the Horn 17Gr V-MAX rang up at 9.99 / 50./ Buy 10 boxes get a free dry box. Lowest price I've seen.

CraigC
May 3, 2012, 04:21 PM
Nice!

arthury
May 17, 2012, 09:10 PM
It's all premium quality ammo, there is no cheap .17HMR option. You might want to look at Cheaper Than Dirt.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemListing.aspx?sort=priceLow&catid=488

Don't forget to factor in sales tax. A whopping 9.75% where I live.

CheaperThanDirt is really not that cheap.
The shipping costs increases and remains there even if I purchase $1,000 worth of the same ammo. It doesn't look like they encourage bulk purchase at all.

And, in addition, there is a $3 handling charge?
This kind of backend loading in the cost is stupid and ridiculous.

Can't believe why anyone would want to buy anything from them.

igousigloo
May 17, 2012, 09:47 PM
I have found that it is premium costing ammo and has nothing to do with quality. Most that I have shot in the last year is scatter gun ammo. About 1/3 of the cases are splitting and the bullets are not hitting right when the cases are splitting. This is Hornady ammo also.

GT27
May 18, 2012, 12:30 AM
Walmart,enjoy that Hummer!

CraigC
May 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
CheaperThanDirt is really not that cheap.
Like I said, CTD was measurably less than Walmart on that case of .22LR ammo. It could not be found anywhere else for less, ALL costs involved.

Can't believe why anyone would want to buy anything from them.
Uh, because it's cheaper??? You must think I'm stupid and did not factor in shipping. Please, don't insult my intelligence with this nonsense. Buy ten boxes of 20gr Hornady XTP's it's $125 shipped. Buy ten boxes from Walmart at $13.50 a box, that's $148 with tax. It doesn't take a friggin' rocket scientist to figure out and I wonder how much thought you really put into your offensive post. It's out of stock at Midway but based on their last in-stock price, it would be $125 shipped.

I have found that it is premium costing ammo and has nothing to do with quality.
Probably has more to do with your rifle than the ammo. Like I said, it IS all premium ammo and it has nothing to do with being blinded by the price tag. It all comes from the same place. You don't shoot half-MOA with a $350 rifle if your ammo is garbage. :rolleyes:

CountryUgly
May 18, 2012, 08:05 PM
My local Wally World has 'em for 11.99 +tax.

nipprdog
May 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't buy a bunch of one type until you try them and determine how the different bullet types and weights shoot in your rifle.

I found that the 17gr Hornady V-max shoots much tighter groups than the 20gr versions in my NEF Sportster single shot

As well as the Savage that I used to own. It didn't like the 20 grain. ;)

arthury
May 19, 2012, 01:29 AM
CraigC,
I apologize if you consider my previous post offensive but it wasn't aimed at you but more at CheaperThanDirt (CTD) and their back loading methods.

Usually, when I buy more at other places, the shipping becomes free but not at CTD. And, I cannot understand the extra $3 handling charges. Unbelievable practice in this day and age.

CraigC
May 19, 2012, 01:51 PM
I cannot understand the extra $3 handling charges.
What's the difference between charging $14 shipping and $3 handling or just saying it's $17 for shipping? Nothing, perception only.

nipprdog
May 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
Unbelievable practice in this day and age.

Not at all. Natchez will charge YOU, for insurance, to ship your order. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Quality 17HMR at good price: where?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!