What 1911 Do I Have?

PDA

Beersnob
May 1, 2012, 10:45 AM
I know pretty much what it is, but I'm a little confused about one aspect of it. Here is a picture of the box.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h465/Bill_Gum/IMAG0006-1.jpg

I understand that it's a newer repro of the older Series 70 guns, but the Model O is what is confusing me. I know that Colt has a Model O package that costs around $350 or so to have done. My question is how much is the gun worth? I've seen Gov Models for around $900-$950, but do they all say Model O on the box, or is mine more or less valuable? I've looked in the Blue Book and they only list a Model O as being worth around $975 or so, I think.

I appreciate all responses.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What 1911 Do I Have?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
silversport
May 1, 2012, 11:31 AM
that's what Colt calls their Government .45ACP semi automatic pistols...1911 and 1911A1 were U.S. Government designations

Bill

RickMD
May 1, 2012, 11:33 AM
The "O" is just Colt's designation for the 1911 type frame. You simply have a reproduction of the 70 Series Colt (without the FP safety as in the 80 Series). The frame and slide are not machined for the 80 Series safety but all the internals are identical to the 80 Series without the FP safety parts.

Beersnob
May 1, 2012, 11:42 AM
So they all come with Novak's sites?

Here is a picture of the actual gun.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h465/Bill_Gum/1911Small.jpg
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h465/Bill_Gum/Untitled.jpg

1KPerDay
May 1, 2012, 11:45 AM
No, they do not all come like that. Are you SURE it came like that from the factory? Wanna sell it? ;) That's exactly the setup I want.

JTQ
May 1, 2012, 11:45 AM
And a fiber optic front sight?

This is either a new model, which certainly is possible, or it is a used gun modified by somebody.

Here is the Series 70 from the Colt's Manufacturing website.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtSeries70.aspx

silversport
May 1, 2012, 11:48 AM
nope...I've not seen them from Colt with the Novak rear sight and a fiber optic front sight...

I looked at my 2005 Colt XSE and it does not have Model O stamped on the plastic box but it's model designation does start with "O."

...I can't tell from your photo if the front sight is dovetailed or not but I bet someone added the dovetailed Novak rear and fiber optic front sights...other than that it appears to me to be a Colt Government Model 1911A1...enjoy...

Bill

JTQ
May 1, 2012, 11:49 AM
I notice "8/30/06" written in the lower left corner of the box. This could easily indicate production/delivery/sales date. That is lots of time to put on aftermarket sights.

RickMD
May 1, 2012, 12:00 PM
Looks like someone bought a newer 70 Series Government Model and had it fitted with Novak sights...

Beersnob
May 1, 2012, 12:17 PM
I was told it came from Colt's custom shop, but I have no way of verifying it. I don't know much about these guns and there are so many of them out there that it's hard to find pricing in any of the gun value books on it.

rcmodel
May 1, 2012, 12:24 PM
The CS on the 01970A1CS on your box stands for Custom Shop.

rc

RickMD
May 1, 2012, 12:34 PM
You could always call Colt and have them verify the origin. They're quite helpful in that regard. The "Blue Book" value on any modified gun can't be relied upon. The Blue Book is applicable only to unmodified guns in their original configuration. Modified guns are worth whatever the market will bear. Sometimes that's more than factory configuration but usually aftermarket modifications decrease rather than increase resale value.

If you can verify that the piece came in that configuration from the Custom Shop it might have additional value to a collector. If not, it's a shooter. By the way, all new Series 70 Colts come from the Custom Shop. It's Colt's way of getting around liability issues with the dropping of the 80 Series FP block safety.

Beersnob
May 1, 2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I've got some phone calls to make.

kevin7769
May 1, 2012, 12:47 PM
The hand written date was done at the gunshop the day it arrived. Something to do with the book keeping side of things with new guns. Both places I worked and work at have done this. Most either put the date or the line in the book where the gun was entered. I have seen some new models with possibly the same rear sight, the fiber front while I like it I have not seen on a new one. As RickMD says you can contact Colt for all the info for what it came with.

Skylerbone
May 1, 2012, 02:07 PM
All Series 70 Reissue pistols come from the Colt Custom Shop.

JTQ
May 1, 2012, 03:00 PM
All Series 70 Reissue pistols come from the Colt Custom Shop.
Correct. Notice the serial numbers at the link to the Colt's website.

royal barnes
May 1, 2012, 07:21 PM
Unless things have changed recently Colt will tell you the month and year of manufacture if you give them the serial number. Any other info will require purchasing an official letter.

If you enjoyed reading about "What 1911 Do I Have?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!