What happens if patch left in .223 barrel

PDA

bushmaster1313
May 1, 2012, 08:20 PM
I was cleaning my .223 EBR and the cleaning rod came out absent the patch.
What typically happens if gun is fired with a patch in the barrel.

I got the patch out buy I bet some rifles get shot with a patch that got left behind.

If you enjoyed reading about "What happens if patch left in .223 barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
May 1, 2012, 08:24 PM
It would probably cause serious overpressure, potentially damage. Bore obstructions are no joke. Even too much oil can raise pressure significantly.

Double Vision
May 1, 2012, 09:25 PM
I'm no expert but I'm guessing that shooting any gun with any obstruction is a Bozo no-no.

Before heading out to the range, I always shine a light down the barrel of a safe gun to make sure it's crystal clean.

HoosierQ
May 1, 2012, 09:37 PM
I think the short answer is maybe/probably your gun blows up.

adelbridge
May 1, 2012, 09:54 PM
You will end up with a rupture or bulge in your barrel, maybe it will be noticeable, maybe it wont but there is going to certainly be measurable distortion.

beatledog7
May 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
How could somebody know he put a patch into the bore, note that it didn't come out, and shoot the gun anyway?

bushmaster1313
May 1, 2012, 11:11 PM
I saw that it did not come out.
I could have missed it.
Also, I sometimes use two patches and one could come out and one could stay in.

I am going to be extra careful making sure my bore is clear after cleaning.

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 1, 2012, 11:20 PM
How could somebody know he put a patch into the bore, note that it didn't come out, and shoot the gun anyway?

He was asking "what if" if someone missed that patch. Some people have left their bore sighters in the barrel and shot.

foghornl
May 1, 2012, 11:21 PM
It COULD become very exciting for you, and not in a good way.

Jim Watson
May 1, 2012, 11:28 PM
Hatcher did some experiments on that. Sometimes the barrel was bulged, sometimes it wasn't. It is always a good idea to look through the barrel before shooting to see that the hole goes all the way through.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
May 2, 2012, 12:01 AM
When I get ready to shoot, I check bores before I leave to the range, again when I get to the range, and if I see the slightest bit of debris, I run a snake/patch through the bore to make sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "What happens if patch left in .223 barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!