White Feather Rimfire Match:

PDA

Maverick223
May 1, 2012, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the Rimfire Match for the month of May! This match dedicated to the rifleman known as White Feather (Carlos Hathcock II) to honor what would be his 70th birthday on May, 20th. It is open to any and every 22 caliber (as well as 17 and 20 caliber) rimfire rifle including the perennial favorite .22LR, as well as the .22Short, .22Long, .22 Mag., .17HM2, .17HMR, and 5mm Rem RF Mag (as well as any oddball rimfires that you might have). This match is meant to be challenging and educational, but most of all FUN. Hopefully it will get you out to the range and shooting your rifle. If you have one handy, make sure an bring a friend too.

There are Two Optics Divisions:
->Iron sights and non-magnified optics and red dots. Shot at 25yds.
->Scopes and other magnified sighting devices. Shot at 50yds.

*Note that the distance is back to our typical range of 25/50.

There are Two Rifle Classes:
->Unlimited/Target Rifles (highly modified rifles, rests, target sights, sub-.20cal. chamberings, high magnification optics- over 10x [in the appropriate division] may be used)
->Sporting Rifles (Includes All Non-Target Class Autoloaders, Bolt Actions, Single Shots, Pumps, & Lever Rifles chambered for any rimfire cartridge .20cal./5mm and larger)

Both classes can be shot from any position. Rests/Sandbags/bipods are permitted in the Target Class only. Shooting stick(s) are now permitted for both divisions (either crossed or walking stick style). Use of a sling is encouraged.

25 Yd. (Irons) Target: See image in the link below. Scale to 100% on standard 8.5x11in. paper. The objective is to fire five shots at the eye within the scope tube. The target is scored as 1pt for any hit on the outer ring, 2 for the next in, 3 for the one inside that one, 4 for the inner white ring, and 5 for the innermost ring (including hits on the scope tube). Xs are awarded for any hit completely within the tube, for a maximum available score of 25-5X.

50 Yd. (Optics) Target: Same as above.

If you enjoyed this match and want a bit more challenge, or just compare your rimfires to their big brothers, check out the concurrent Centerfire Match using the same target at a greater range.

When you are satisfied you've done your best post/attach (or shoot me a PM) a photo or scan of your target with as much of the following information as possible: Forum name (or name you want posted in the results), Rifle, make, model, vintage (if known), Sights/Optics (with magnification if applicable), Ammo, Position, Distance, Conditions (in/outdoors, wind, temperature...). Multiple submissions are allowed (in same or different division/class with same or different rifles).

Self-scoring is encouraged and appreciated; all submissions due before May 32nd. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "White Feather Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
May 1, 2012, 10:30 PM
....Nice. :) I'm definitely in for this one.

Maverick223
May 1, 2012, 10:40 PM
Great; I'm rather proud of this one...had it in the works for months now.

:)

Maverick223
May 2, 2012, 10:41 AM
That's odd being a .pdf. As long as you have the entirety of the actual target that should be okay, but this afternoon I'll make a jpeg or the like if you'd like to try that instead.

KSCCHTrainer
May 2, 2012, 11:15 AM
If you're printing from Acrobat reader, you need to set the page scaling to zero or none in the print menu, or in the case Mav got it a bit too big, use "landscape" mode and "fit to page".

Jim

o Unforgiven o
May 2, 2012, 05:12 PM
Here is my entry for the White Feather Rimfire Match. I've only had this 10/22 for a few days and I am excited to get a chance to show it off. :cool: Anyway, here is my entry.

Name: o Unforgiven o
Class: Target/Unlimited
Optics Division: Iron sights
Rifle: Stock Ruger 10/22 w/ 18.5 in. bbl
Sights: Ruger factory irons
Ammo: Remington Subsonic .22lr 38 gr LHP
Position: Sitting using one front rest
Distance: As close to 25 yards as I could manage
Conditions: My backyard, 85 F with a breeze about 2-5 mph
Score: 25-4x (thanks sixgunner45)

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/GTRGuy27/Target1.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/GTRGuy27/Target2.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/GTRGuy27/Target3.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/GTRGuy27/Target4mod.jpg

sixgunner455
May 2, 2012, 05:14 PM
Looks like 25-4x, Unforgiven.

Way to set the bar!

o Unforgiven o
May 2, 2012, 05:27 PM
Looks like 25-4x, Unforgiven.

Way to set the bar!
Thanks. :D

Samclrk
May 2, 2012, 06:47 PM
Unforgiven,,That`s some dang good shooting.

gunnysmith
May 2, 2012, 07:54 PM
That`s some dang good shooting

sniper762
May 2, 2012, 09:00 PM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/IMG.jpg
20 SHOTS 100 YDSPRONE .22 REM M513 IRON SIGHTS

Maverick223
May 2, 2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks for getting us started, o Unforgiven o! Looks like the new rifle is doing pretty well.

sniper762, that's impressive shooting; give the target above (attachment in the OP) a shot.

RBH44
May 4, 2012, 12:28 AM
Well, once again I have to beg a couple of targets to get in on the fun. I still don't have a working printer. :banghead: Just as last time I'm more than willing to pay the postage if somebody would be kind enough to send me a couple so that I can play too.
Let me know. Thanks John

TurtlePhish
May 4, 2012, 12:38 AM
RBH44, PM incoming.

RBH44
May 4, 2012, 01:03 AM
Turtlephish,
PM returned. Thanks

KSCCHTrainer
May 4, 2012, 03:45 PM
Got in some range time (indoor) this morning. Had work to do on the .223 so I took the Savage 93R17 along and a handful of the White Feather targets. I only shot one of the RF targets as it was pretty close to right on @ 50 yards.

Class, unlimited/Target
Caliber .17HMR
Distance 50 yards (indoor, no wind)
Rifle Savage 93R17
Optics BSA Sweet 17 6-18 X 40 set to 10 power
Bipod front rest, sand filled squeeze bag rear.

5 shots from a cold barrel/chamber, score 25-5X and I expect to see a lot of these. There are some extremely fine rifles and shooters out there.

Jim

Texas4x4hoe
May 5, 2012, 05:28 PM
Here's my go at it. Took me a couple tries to get this but I had to head to work. Maybe I'll get some more range time this month as my job is cutting back on overtime. I'm going to call it a 25-4x but it could possibly be a 5x I'll let y'all be the judge. Remington 597 17HMR, BSA sweet .17, unlimited/magnified.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/Targets/fe6f0ffb.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/Targets/915e94c3.jpg

Close up of the area in question.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/outlanderman_06/Targets/62acfc5f.jpg

Maverick223
May 5, 2012, 05:42 PM
Not too shabby guys. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we see several clean targets. If it comes down to it, we can go by group size.

avan47
May 5, 2012, 06:59 PM
Ruger 77/22, sporting rifle class with Weaver V10 scope set at 10x
Seated off of x-sticks, range 50 yards
Winchester T-22 ammo
Outdoors, 80*F Light winds
Score, 25 - 3x

sixgunner455
May 5, 2012, 09:11 PM
Ugh. I printed two batches of these targets this week, and both disappeared - both times I was going to go to the range.

Target-stealing gremlins must inhabit some space between work and home, I tell ya!

Got out and shot anyway, just different targets.

RBH44
May 7, 2012, 09:31 PM
Some very fine shooting here so far! Hope I can live up to the competition

Samclrk
May 7, 2012, 09:33 PM
Very good shooting going on here...

Chief RID
May 10, 2012, 07:10 PM
I hope to shoot tomorrow but you guys know I am no threat. I will shoot two different rifles and try to shoot two classes. Pistol class may be fun too.

RBH44
May 11, 2012, 07:53 PM
I will finally be getting out to the range tomorrow afternoon. The weather is looking really nice for a change.

Samclrk
May 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
I took my little magnum out of the moth balls,today,but not much luck shooting..Doing some work on it through the weekend.Try again Monday,maybe better.I`ve not shot a rimfire in forty years.

Maverick223
May 11, 2012, 09:21 PM
I will shoot two different rifles and try to shoot two classes. Pistol class may be fun too.There isn't really a pistol class, but if you'd like to give it a go in the irons div. (assuming that it's sighted as such) I don't have a problem with it.

RBH44
May 13, 2012, 04:53 PM
OK, here is my entry for this month. unlimited class,benchrest and sandbag. Optics set to 14 power. 25=5X
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/JOHN4Mystikbow/DSCF2202.jpg

I also shot the iron sight class with my browning buckmark pistol just for craps&giggles since I don't have an iron sight rifle at the moment. I only tried my hand at it once. Here are the results.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/JOHN4Mystikbow/DSCF2203.jpg

I walked it right up the paper. It wasn't exactly set for 25yrds.

Mr.GunCrazy
May 13, 2012, 06:08 PM
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=1ef3b6cfd4&view=att&th=13747ff9fbbefb36&attid=0.0&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9zoyQKaRfgfNYiBhw-OmbB&sadet=1336942934747&sads=qHHXwF_8TAdlnRsLyYu4vZ2w3ks&sadssc=1
Ruger 10/22 deluxe sporter
25 yards iron sights
bulk blazer ammo
offhand
sporting rifle division
score: 22-2x
Condition- about 70 degrees and 2-3 mph wind

Maverick223
May 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
RBH44, I'd not call that too bad for a pistol.

Welcome to the match, Mr.GunCrazy. Perhaps it's just me (which it could be, as I just recently reformatted my laptop), but I can't view your photo.

RBH44
May 13, 2012, 08:55 PM
I can't see Mr.Guncrazy's photo either.

Mavrick223, Thanks, the pistol is adjusted for indoor league shooting at 18yrds.

TurtlePhish
May 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
Hey everyone, getting out next weekend to shoot this thing! Watch out! :D

KSCCHTrainer
May 14, 2012, 07:00 AM
I also shot the iron sight class with my browning buckmark pistol just for craps&giggles since I don't have an iron sight rifle at the moment. I only tried my hand at it once. Here are the results.
I walked it right up the paper. It wasn't exactly set for 25yrds.

RBH44,
Now ya done it! Gonna have to try that target with my Taurus 94 revolver. It's doing inch and a half groups at 25 yards with the Federal bulk pack 40 grain stuff from Walmart if I rest it on a Caldwell pistol rest. At 70, I'm not steady enough to operate without one at anything much beyond 10 yards - :cuss:

Jim

RBH44
May 14, 2012, 09:07 PM
KSCCHTrainer,
Hell,I never thought of using a rest! I'm just so used to off hand shooting using the "bulls eye" stance thats how I shot it. I think I have a couple targets left. I'll have to get back out and see if I can get better results resting on a sandbag!

Maverick223
May 14, 2012, 11:22 PM
The following is a working image of the target Mr.GunCrazy shot in post no. 34:

http://www.tinyphoto.net/pictures/d05442aefe90694322e85df8937a6a6e.jpg

roval
May 17, 2012, 04:10 AM
went to the range today and had 2 targets one was misprinted and was in portrait mode so was smaller. 1st target was the proper size.unlimited 50 yards with front rest and rear bag with optics 14X savage mark II, wind 10-15 mph but 1/2 value mainly quartering from behind. ammo wolf match 22 LR. did better with the 2nd but slightly smaller target after accounting for the wind. group size center to center was .28" on the 2nd smaller target. don't know the score but both should have gone through the scope tube.

roval
May 17, 2012, 04:11 AM
the extra bullet hole from the first target off to the side was some guy from another lane.

Centurian22
May 17, 2012, 05:19 AM
Wow, can't wait to try and drop in on this last minute!!! Awesome shooting so far everyone. I'm excited about the pistol component. Just bought a Walther P22Q for the wife and I may have to borrow it to give this a 'shot'. Seems to be a work in progress so are we just sticking to one class, iron sights, 25yrds; or should there be two categories like bench and offhand? Also the P22Q has a universal rail mounted Crimson Trace Laser on it, I'll probably just leave it off but is there interest in a 'sight assisted' class (lasers, red dots ect)? I would certainly be interested in adding a pistol aspect to the monthly Rimfire competitions. Distance to be set by difficulty of target (like bug out last month I would have said 10yards possibly?). Maverick I am in no way assuming for you to have to take this on in addition to the great work and contribution you make by providing us with the monthly Rimfire and Centerfire rifle completions. If you wanted to, it is yours to take but I'll gladly volunteer to take charge of the pistol side (with a little assistance to get going).

Let me know what everyone thinks.

Maverick223
May 17, 2012, 11:09 AM
Centurian22, pistols are fine for the target (in the case of improved sighting devices &/or use of a rest) or sporting class, but if you would like to start a new pistol match that would be great (several folks have inquired about one in the past). I'm not much of a pistol guy myself (I don't even own a rimfire pistol ATM), but you are more than welcome to any information/targets/rules that you'd like to copy and i'll be more than happy to help in any way I can.

Gregaw
May 17, 2012, 01:22 PM
the extra bullet hole from the first target off to the side was some guy from another lane.

Yeah right, that's what they all say! :rolleyes:

:D

Samclrk
May 17, 2012, 06:28 PM
POST OF THE DAY```
```the extra bullet hole from the first target off to the side was some guy from another lane```

I thought I had heard em all.

Virg461
May 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
MAS45 trainer
.22lr
25yrds
no rest
"hasty" sling (couldn't find my web sling to get all proper and all)
prone

I score this as a 25-3X

Been a while since I did this, but I think military peeps were still counted as sporting instead of target. Either way, they're fun....

Maverick223
May 17, 2012, 07:34 PM
You're in the clear on the sights, Virg461...and it seems that you have made good use of them.

roval
May 17, 2012, 08:49 PM
to samclrk please don't insult my rifle. you'll hurt his feelsings he's way more competent than that. :)
found a new batt for my caliper. the better target was the smaller but I nicked both inner parts of the scope tubeshttp://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/roval_01/rimfire/DSC_0003640x426.jpg
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd341/roval_01/rimfire/DSC_0002640x426.jpg

Centurian22
May 18, 2012, 12:43 AM
Ok all, so I'm looking for input on the monthly pistol stuff:
It terms of the classes and divisions;
Should Rimfire and Centerfire be separated?
Should 'normal' (non assisted) sights be separate from assisted (including scopes, red dot,
laser, reflex ect)?
So far, here are my thoughts, please comment on them and share your own:
For simplicity's sake I feel we should try to use the same target as the rifle (whenever possible) because as it is, I know many of us can hardly keep track of one target to bring to the range much less two or three. In terms of rim vs. center I'm not sure; with groups measured center to center it shouldn't matter, however using this months target for an example, a centerfire (especially larger like .45) is much more likely to 'tear out' the scope ring, even if shot in the same exact location as a .22 would strike. So do we separate or not? I think it comes down to if there is enough interest and participation to 'fill' both categories.

Lastly (and this is more directed at Maverick) would this be best kept under the 'Monthly Rimfire Match' for now while we test and explore the participation level, or would you prefer to see it moved out as soon as possible so it doesn't 'cloud up' the thread? If it is to be taken elsewhere who would I need to talk to to get it 'stickied' like yours?

gunnysmith
May 18, 2012, 01:28 AM
Don't forget the single shot handguns :evil:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i221/gunnysmith/TOZ351.jpg

TurtlePhish
May 19, 2012, 06:44 PM
My Savage .17 is currently out of commission pending arrival of new glass, so I shot the match with my trusty Marlin 795. Here's my entry! I think I shot a 25-3x, but you guys be the judge of that. One hole is kind of in a hard-to-tell spot.

Edit: Nevermind, I scored that wrong. Looks like all of my shots but one touched the tube; I stand at a 25-1x.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/TurtlePhish/28e1e490.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/TurtlePhish/2a9d7cfa.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/TurtlePhish/8bd8ec98.jpg

Maverick223
May 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
Centurian22, I'm far from a pistol expert so take what I say with a healthy dose of salt, but here are my thoughts on the following...

Should Rimfire and Centerfire be separated?I'd start with one division so you can keep participation high. Besides handloading affords little advantage when compared to modern match rimfire loads. Scoring OTOH can be a pain, compared to the wee .22LR, a big .45cal. can be a discernible advantage when trying to cut lines, or be quite a hindrance when trying for "Xs". Nevertheless I'd start small and add additional divisions as necessary.

Should 'normal' (non assisted) sights be separate from assisted (including scopes, red dot, laser, reflex ect)?IMO sights can make a marked difference, so I would separate target sighting devices from OEM production sights. A standard open sight is little match for a micrometer adjustable aperture, scope, or even a good red-dot style optic.

Lastly (and this is more directed at Maverick) would this be best kept under the 'Monthly Rimfire Match' for now while we test and explore the participation level, or would you prefer to see it moved out as soon as possible so it doesn't 'cloud up' the thread? If it is to be taken elsewhere who would I need to talk to to get it 'stickied' like yours?While I haven't any qualms keeping it here for a trial period I think it would be better suited to the pistol forum, where it will likely garner more attention. Art Eatman is the man when it comes to getting stuff done. He has been stickifying these matches since I took over a few years back, and has a reputation for getting it done PDQ (occasionally before I even inquire).

Gregaw
May 19, 2012, 09:52 PM
It was in the mid eighties today here in Iowa. Mostly sunny with a 10 mph winds with a few gusts into the 20's. Fortunately the range sits low and is partially shielded from the wind. The problem is that the shooting position is more shielded than the 50 yard line so listening to the trees is my best gauge since I don't have flags out. (See how ,I've 'subtely' tried to make my target seem better by blaming the weather.)

This was my last of 4 targets today. It looks to be a 25 -4x, as my last shot messed everything up! I'm still very proud of the first 4 shots anyway... :)

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae150/gregaw/whitesmall.jpg

I'm shooting a Savage Mark-IIFV with a Mueller 8-32X Target scope, using Wolf Match Target .22.

(It kind of weirded me out shooting at the eye.)

Maverick223
May 19, 2012, 10:38 PM
It kind of weirded me out shooting at the eye.Imagine how Hathcock must have felt with that eye holding a rifle pointing in his direction. :uhoh:

happygeek
May 20, 2012, 01:04 AM
25m, CMMG dedicated 22LR upper on a RRA lower with irons, Federal Bulk Pack from Walmart, shot from the prone unsupported, one with hasty sling, one without. I don't think I got any Xs on either.

If the range wasn't closed next weekend for a blackpowder convention I'd take the stock off my 22LR AR and give the pistol class a try.

KSCCHTrainer
May 20, 2012, 09:30 AM
Hey Gregaw, that's a nice group. Check out the one I got at 100 over in the centerfire match thread with a new barrel on my Savage .223 bolt gun. Bought a 26" fluted stainless barrel from a model 12 precision varmint rifle for $80. It shoots almost as tight as my 93R17 and your Mark II FV does.

happygeek, the target on the right looks like the bottom shot missed the ring of the scope and is in the eye. I'd say that counts as an X. Without being able to magnify the target any further, I vote for an X unless Maverick sees something I don't. Pretty doggone good shooting with just the sling for support!

Jim

Gregaw
May 20, 2012, 09:59 AM
Wow! That's amazing. Next time I go shooting I'm going to pretend I'm an old guy named Jim and see if my groups improve.

Maverick223
May 22, 2012, 11:47 PM
Charlie, If you're looking for other brands to try, RWS Rifle Match has performed about the best for me and is somewhat reasonably priced. RWS Target is pretty decent as well and is even less costly. I dropped Wolf entirely in favor of SK match fodder (which is the exact same Lapua produced ammunition, but is often found a bit cheaper), though I find that it doesn't shoot as well as the RWS and affords little savings so I doubt I'll be ordering any more of this either. For cheap informal target ammunition Eley primed Aguila Rifle Match is very difficult to beat, but don't expect any miracles from a $30.00USD brick of ammunition.

KSCCHTrainer
May 29, 2012, 09:53 AM
Hope everyone had a safe and sane Memorial Day weekend. Still today, tomorrow and Thursday to get out and shoot this match. Good luck all.

Jim

Centurian22
May 29, 2012, 10:11 AM
Really hoping to get a window of opportunity to shoot this one but it's due to rain most of the week :-( We'll see if it lets up enough to pull off a couple targets. Hope everyone had a great memorial day weekend.

sixgunner455
May 29, 2012, 02:59 PM
Shot two of these yesterday morning. One had a decent group, the other not so much. Newbie shooter I was helping put a round through the good target, but way out of my group.

I was shocked when that hole showed up! I was like, no way, I did *not* just pull that round that bad!

I'll scan 'em when I get some time tonight.

RBH44
May 29, 2012, 07:01 PM
KSCCHTrainer,
Did you ever get the chance to get the Taurus 94 out to the range and give it a go at 25yrds?

KSCCHTrainer
May 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
RBH44,
Yeah, I did. (I wish) Shot at a few targets to get it close then fired 9 from a sitting, rested on the table position. The 4" Taurus 94 shoots much better than I normally can.

Edit: RBH, now that you've had a chance to look at this post and target, I really didn't have a chance to shoot the 94 at 25 yards. I can't see that far well enough without optics to reliably hit one that small :evil::evil: There was a day, many years ago, when I could do better than that at 25 yards and even at 50 occasionally on an Army pistol team, but that was back in 1964 and I was 22 years old. I'm 70 now, you do the math.

That target was really shot at 7 yards for the "May Shootout" over on Taurusarmed.net/forums. The 9 shot 94 really does shoot pretty well, and I'd like to put at least a small red-dot optic on it. As far as I can find, nobody makes a rear sight replacement mount for the 94 so I'll probably have to leave that alone.

Jim

sixgunner455
May 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
This is the one I had help with, low and left:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/sixgunner455/Postal%20Match%20targets/2012Maythrpostalrimfire001.jpg

I'm calling it a 25-0x, 'cause I think I clipped the scope tube even on that closest to the center shot. Decent group, though.

And then I blew it for my "clean" target, even though it's the same score - 25-0x, it's just a lousy group:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/sixgunner455/Postal%20Match%20targets/2012Maythrrimfire002.jpg

Fun target, though. Lots of good shooting going on this month.

eta - Oh, yeah. Rifle, ammo, scope, etc:

Savage MKII FV, .22lr, Eley Sport, 50yd prone, supported on a bag (I wanted to do it just prone, but I wasn't up to it - groups were all over the place that day), scoped with a Bushnell 3-9x40 set on 9x. Bright, sunny AZ Memorial Day, complete with a dead cow in the background. :D

Centurian22
May 31, 2012, 02:35 AM
So happy to have gotten to the range and 'squeezed in' on this month's target at the last minute. I also brought the wife along who would like to have her targets posted as well, her name may be stated as "MysticSiren624" if she places or earns honorable mention.*

I'll start with the background info:*
Sunny Clear 70 degree F. day at the Orrington Rod and Gun Club's outdoor range in Maine.
No wind when we started, very light by the time we were done. Sporting class Iron sights shot with a Sears single shot bolt action .22lr shot at 25 yards. Sporting class Optics shot with a Marlin 989 semi auto .22lr with a sling, with a 3-6x20 weaver scope mounted on weaver rings shot at 50 yards. All targets were shot from the sitting at a bench with short home made cross shooting sticks. Ammo used was either Blazer 40gr LRN or Win. 36gr HP (only used on my wife's Sporting Optics Target). Person not shooting was helping the shooter by calling shots with a pair of Nikon Action EX 10X50 binoculars.*

The Wife's Sporting Irons 25 yard:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/CaptainChadB/cc1f5d97.jpg

I believe this to be a 23-1X

The Wife's Sporting Optics 50 yard:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/CaptainChadB/c86393bd.jpg

23-2X I think, possibly 3x I'll let someone else 'officiate' that call with the top center being in question. The 'bullseye' is a double.

My Sporting Irons 25 yard:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/CaptainChadB/86857cdf.jpg

24-1X I think, unless the slight long tear from the shot in question removes said 1x to a 0X.
Also unsure of the shot on the right being a 5 or a 4 point.
And lastly My Sporting Optics 50 yard:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/CaptainChadB/1ab67c2b.jpg

25-4X is the score of this one I believe.

We had our new Walther P22Q .22lr pistol with us, but we ran out of targets by the time we were done with the rifles. We'll have to print and bring more of next months to enter the 'pistol division' as I try to get that off on its own start.*

Awesome day at the range, we had lots of fun! As always Maverick, thank you for the time and commitment, and I can't wait to see June's target and try to adapt it for a pistol division.

Centurian22
May 31, 2012, 03:06 AM
Ok after re-reading all posts and scores I definitely look forward to some clarification on the scoring of these. As for the first number what is counted, the center punch of the shot, or if it breaks the black/white border line is it counted at the lower score? Also similar question for the "X's", what exactly is being called the 'inner scope tube' to qualify for an "X" and again is it the center punch of the bullet or where the paper is torn to?
Thanks to any and all that can clear this up for me, happy shooting.

Maverick223
June 2, 2012, 08:30 PM
My apologies for being so late this month. I've been ill for more than a week now, and while I'm still not 100% I'm beginning to come around. If it's alright with you guys I'd like to extend the match by an additional week to get a few more shooters as well as get the next one put together.

Centurian22, you need only break the ring to attain the higher value, but you have to stay completely within the scope tube (the portion that looks like an eye) in order to earn an X. In other words all your above targets were scored correctly with the exception of the third one, which should be a 25-1X (rightmost shot being a 5).

Again, my apologies for the delay, and let me know your thoughts regarding an extension.

happygeek
June 2, 2012, 08:37 PM
An extension is fine with me, I'll print a few more to take with me today. About to head for the range for my relatively cheap habit of shooting 22LR at printer paper targets.

Maverick223
June 2, 2012, 08:45 PM
Sounds great, I just ordered a ton of .22LR so I'm looking forward to getting out as much as I can this month.

RBH44
June 2, 2012, 11:13 PM
hey Mav, Hope your back to 100% soon.
I don't have a problem with an additional week extention. maybe the rain will let up long enough for me to get back out to the range!!

Maverick223
June 2, 2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks, RBH44. If it would be helpful to anyone (say if the weather still isn't looking so good) we can extend a full month, just let me know in the next day our two and we can make it official.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

happygeek
June 3, 2012, 03:59 AM
Did not do as well as last time, I'll blame it on it being dusk.

Centurian22
June 3, 2012, 04:08 AM
No problem on the delay and extension though I only wish I could shoot again, unfortunately I leave again for work soon. Hope you are back up and running feeling 100% soon, sorry to hear you were not well. As you get the new month put together let me know and I'll 'draw up' the parameters of the pistol competition to try out.

Happy geek: decent grouping, just wrong local lol.

happygeek
June 3, 2012, 04:42 AM
Happy geek: decent grouping, just wrong local lol.

No kidding, I just couldn't seem to get settled into a good NPOA this range trip. Almost all of my other prone targets resembled that one. Consistency continues to elude me. All the more reason to keep practicing I guess.

TurtlePhish
June 4, 2012, 12:48 AM
I'd be happy with an extension. I haven't had time to get out other than that one target I shot and I got new glass on my Savage, so I can use that now.

Maverick223
June 5, 2012, 11:59 AM
Sounds great, folks. How much time should we add, would an additional month be better or is a week enough to get the ball rolling?

TurtlePhish
June 5, 2012, 04:02 PM
Let's go a whole month and get in a ton of submissions, eh? The more competition the better! :D

Maverick223
June 5, 2012, 04:20 PM
Sounds good to me...the more the merrier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Orlando
June 8, 2012, 06:57 PM
Finally made it to the range today
77 degrees, 5-8 mph wind
Unlimited/Target Rifle Class
Kimber 82
Scope
50yd
Bench/Front rest
Wolf Match Extra

There are 5 rds, hard to tell from pic but there are two bullets in about same hole
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/Scan0001-1.jpg

sixgunner455
June 8, 2012, 08:28 PM
Looks like you had a great day, Orlando!

happygeek
June 16, 2012, 07:25 PM
I still had two of the targets printed off so I figured I'd use them to give the pistol class a shot when I went to the range yesterday.

As long as a 22LR CMMG upper with the stock taken off the lower counts as a pistol that is ...
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x297/fdhs_runner/Targets/IMGP0027.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x297/fdhs_runner/Targets/IMGP0028.jpg

I shot it prone unsupported and cheated by pulling the buffer tube into my shoulder. Such a shooting position probably would have hurt with a 5.56 AR "pistol", but it actually worked pretty decently with a 22LR one.

KSCCHTrainer
June 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
Saw this on our local concealed carry forum here in KS. Neat idea for some really challenging targets, but only for those who have their own ranges as I'm sure many commercial ranges would forbid them even though they are 99 percent biodegradable.

http://godgalsgunsgrub.blogspot.com/2012/06/five-bucks-shootin-dum-dums.html

Maverick223
June 20, 2012, 09:51 AM
I used to do that with the little green suckers you used to get from First Union when I was a kid. From what I remember it worked pretty darn good. That memory is what inspired the "sucker match" a few months back.

KSCCHTrainer
June 20, 2012, 10:08 AM
I used to do that with the little green suckers you used to get from First Union when I was a kid. From what I remember it worked pretty darn good. That memory is what inspired the "sucker match" a few months back.

Ha Ha, yes, I'm diabetic so I couldn't eat the dang things anyway. Best use I could find for 'em was targets for my .22 back in the day.

Gotta help teach a concealed carry class this weekend and my partner has a nice range that we use for qualification - It's over 60 miles from here so don't get to use it much. Gonna build up one of these for after the class and see if I can get any challengers for a .223 hundred yard shoot. I'm taking the pump carbine along so I won't have an unfair advantage - ;)

Jim

Maverick223
June 20, 2012, 10:36 AM
Have fun gettin' those suckers. :p

Samclrk
June 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
```see if I can get any challengers for a .223 hundred yard shoot. I'm taking the pump carbine along so I won't have an unfair advantage```

Can I take that as an open challenge??...LOL

KSCCHTrainer
June 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
Sure, if you want to drive all the way to Sylvia, Kansas for the weekend - :neener:

allaroundhunter
June 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
Well, I finally got a chance to shoot a rimfire match and I honestly surprised myself. Gun is a Remington Model 552 Speedmaster.
http://img.tapatalk.com/61494094-2b55-d837.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/61494094-2b77-1834.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6934810-2be3-183e.jpg

The orange targets were just to see if I was going to embarrass myself, but the gun shot great! 97 degrees, about 5 mph of wind, and (as the rules said) 50 yards.

I think it scores 25-3x, but it might be 2x, I'll let y'all decide, I'm just glad I finally made it out to shoot!
Sent from my HTC One X using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Centurian22
June 23, 2012, 06:44 PM
Nice shooting allroundhunter! Well done, it looks like 3x to me but it's tough to see well from the small screen of my phone, I'll let others weigh in. I'm not familiar with that gun but from the picture I assume this is in the 'sporting' class, unless you opted to use a front bench rest and therefore 'stepped up' into the unlimited/target class?

allaroundhunter
June 23, 2012, 07:06 PM
I'm thinking it is sporting, I shot sitting with only my arms as support.

Sent from my HTC One X using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Centurian22
June 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
Cool, nice to see more participation in the sporting class this month. Might have to get out with the wife and give the target one more go to see if we can improve any on our scores. Again, well done.

Maverick223
June 24, 2012, 02:14 PM
Good shooting, allaroundhunter! I concur with the assessment of 25-3x.

Orlando
June 24, 2012, 07:27 PM
Tried another run at the target last week ,Scored 25 5x ??

87 degrees, 5-8 mph wind
Unlimited/Target Rifle Class
Kimber 82
Scope
50yd
Bench/Front rest
Wolf Match Extra

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/Picture616.jpg

Orlando
June 24, 2012, 09:50 PM
They are very similar except in the Match you dont get as many fliers
Thing to remember every rifle seems to like a particular ammo and even ammo lots will vary

Maverick223
June 25, 2012, 10:11 AM
Scored 25 5x ??Looks like it to me, well done Orlando.

Orlando
June 25, 2012, 01:50 PM
I have noticed that even with ME I am getting more flyers than years ago
Atleast I'm blaming it on the ammo;)

Maverick223
July 1, 2012, 10:06 PM
All right, the power (and internet) are finally back up so I can post the results...here goes:

Magnified/Target:
1st: KSCCHTrainer, RBH44, & Orlando (25-5x)
2nd: Texas4x4hoe & Gregaw (25-4x)
3rd: roval (25-3x)
Honorable Mentions: sixgunner455 (25-0x)

Magnified/Sporting:
1st: Centurian22 (25-4x)
2nd: avan47 & allaroundhunter (25-3x)
3rd: Centurian22's wife (23-2x)

Non-Magnified/Target:
1st: o Unforgiven o (25-4x)
2nd: TurtlePhish (25-1x)

Non-Magnified/Sporting:
1st: Virg461 (25-3x)
2nd: happygeek (25-0x)
3rd: Centurian22 (24-1x)
Honorable Mentions: Centurian22's wife (23-1x) & Mr.GunCrazy (22-2x)

Great shooting guys. P.S.: I already have the new match going, just have to change the sig. line and get to stickying it.

Centurian22
July 2, 2012, 01:06 AM
Congrats to all! Nice to have some good participation in all categories. Can't wait to get started on the next one!

If you enjoyed reading about "White Feather Rimfire Match:" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!