"Safety sticking" on a 1911?

PDA

Yoda
May 2, 2012, 07:00 AM
This news item is shy a lot of details, but the gist is that a police department had a NG with a surplus 1911. A firearms instructor for the department suggested the cause might have been a "sticking safey." I've never heard of such a thing on a 1911. Is it possible?

Here's the link. The reference to the safety is in the last sentence.

a department firearms instructor, checked the gun immediately and determined the safety was sticking.

- - - Yoda

If you enjoyed reading about ""Safety sticking" on a 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jason41987
May 2, 2012, 10:31 AM
umm, thumb safety or grip safety?

bigfatdave
May 2, 2012, 01:30 PM
a department firearms instructor, checked the gun immediately and determined the safety was sticking
No conflict on interest there!

Also no link, and I don't know if we're talking about a grip or thumb safety device - or a disconnector, even.

Skylerbone
May 2, 2012, 04:20 PM
If you're speaking about the LEO from IL that I'm thinking of, he aparently has a real problem with sticky safeties as his 870 was plagued with a similar problem in Oct. resulting in another "AD". That one didn't put a hole in the floor of his office like the 1911, the 870 discharged in to the street while on a call. Claimed he was checking the safety's position at the time. Hmmmm...

Zach S
May 2, 2012, 09:47 PM
A firearms instructor for the department suggested the cause might have been a "sticking safey."
All of mine do that. The thumb safety sticks in the "on" or "off" position, until I disengage or engage it, due to the plunger spring.

The grip safeties do the same thing, depending on weather I'm gripping the pistol or not. Well, my rimfire doesn't... The grip safety on it doesn't work. It did before I adjusted the take up, I just haven't refitted it. Not really a priority since its just a range plinker...

http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/may/02/campbell-mayor-seeks-probe-of-gun-discha/

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
May 2, 2012, 09:53 PM
Well pulling the trigger is a horrible way to check and see if the safety is on. Didn't his father teach him better? :o

Drail
May 2, 2012, 11:35 PM
Yeah, well a lot of people cannot figure out how to drive a stickshift either. Problems like this are almost always a training problem. But training costs money that could be spent on a SWAT team and radar guns.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
May 3, 2012, 12:02 AM
I taught myself how to drive a stick... People should be able to figure out a safety or what-have-you, on their own.

The Lone Haranguer
May 3, 2012, 01:55 PM
This news item is shy a lot of details, but the gist is that a police department had a NG with a surplus 1911. A firearms instructor for the department suggested the cause might have been a "sticking safey." I've never heard of such a thing on a 1911. Is it possible?
:scrutiny:

Sure, the thumb safety can "stick," in either the engaged or disengaged position, from a variety of causes, but that has nothing to do with firing the gun. It still takes something pulling the trigger ... most likely the operator's finger. :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about ""Safety sticking" on a 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!