New addition to my "family"

PDA

oldcodger
May 2, 2012, 04:16 PM
Traditions / Pietta .44 "Reb -Confederate" in brass and blue. Date code is for 2008.

Looks unfired, as the chambers have bluing which looks unscathed. Someone has fired at least one round of caps
with no powder, as there was a bit of corrosion at the base of the nipples, inside the chambers. Bore is bright, action is crisp, timing is right on.

I'll get a pic or two up as soon as I get a chance.

Question - this is the 7-3/8" (+/-) round-barreled model, and I wonder if this is a copy of the Gunnison and Griswold, Griswold and Grier, or what?

any help would be appreciated!

Also, approximate value of an apparently unfired
Investarms Hawken, in very nice shape?
The date code is AH, and I believe that's 1981..

Thanks, and now you folks go make some more SMOKE !

oc

update- I guess google is my friend.. found Hawkens for sale online, in the $300 range.
So I guess $125 is a good deal, assuming it's "good to go"..
These are smoothbore, .50 or .54, are they not?

If you enjoyed reading about "New addition to my "family"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
arcticap
May 2, 2012, 11:45 PM
Although it's possible that it could be, AFAIK an Investarms Hawken isn't usually a smoothbore.
If it were then the value may be lower than if it were rifled.

mykeal
May 3, 2012, 07:57 AM
Investarms did not produce a smoothbore 'Hawken'. They're rifled at 1:60.

As to the revolver, in .44 cal it's not a replica of any Civil War era revolver. They were all .36's.

oldcodger
May 3, 2012, 09:48 AM
About the Investarms Hawken -I saw reference to smoothbore in one of the online ads I mentioned, and thought this one was, but on closer look, it is rifled, and the crown looks great. Nice, I think, for $125, and again, it seems to be unfired. I guess I ought to pull the nipple and get some light into it. I forgot to mention that it is a pawn shop find.

I'll try this morning to get a revolver pic posted.

I thought all the South's pieces were .36, and I'm all for reality- but this Pietta is .44 - and I just wondered if anyone might be familiar with this particular "replica" -
but I guess it should not be so classified. :o

I am very respectful of the opinions of those with much more experience, and all knowing the history of these
pieces, and the desire for historical accuracy in the hobby. I have them to shoot, and to pass on to my Son and Grandson.

Thanks,
oc

If you enjoyed reading about "New addition to my "family"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!