MI House committee considers purchase permit repeal IN 2 WEEKS!!!

PDA

ezkl2230
May 2, 2012, 06:20 PM
"The Michigan House Judiciary Committee will have a hearing on Thursday, May 17, to review an important and long-overdue bill that would eliminate the state handgun “permit-to-purchase” and registration requirements. This committee will hear House Bill 5225 and consider this proposed amendment language that will be used as a substitute for HB 5225 when this hearing takes place.

HB 5225, introduced by state Representative Paul Opsommer (R-93), would abolish the bureaucratic “permit-to-purchase” handguns which became obsolete when the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) went into effect in 1998. Under the current state system, gun buyers must apply with their local law enforcement agency and pass a written test before being authorized to buy a handgun. This “permit” is valid for only one gun and it expires after ten days. Since 1998, federal law has required a national criminal records check for the purchase of any firearm from any gun dealer in every state. Some of the key points of the proposed amendment to HB 5225 are:

Repeal the state requirement for someone to ask for police permission to purchase a firearm by traveling to a local police station and obtaining a permit to purchase.

Repeal the requirement to register a completely legally purchased and owned firearm by a law-abiding citizen to be registered with the government through the police.

Adopt the use of the federally-funded National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

Default to the federal standard of prohibited persons and each purchase would still require a background check.

Cut Michigan’s costs by using the federally-administered instant background check system and eliminate wasted man-hours of tracking lawful gun owners in Michigan." (quoted from NRA Legislative Alert)

We need to contact members of the House Judiciary Committee to urge them to support this legislation, as well as companion bills HB 5498 and HB 5499, ASAP!!! This link will give you access to contact information for these legislators: Michigan House of Representatives (http://house.michigan.gov/committeeinfo.asp?lstcommittees=judiciary)

If you enjoyed reading about "MI House committee considers purchase permit repeal IN 2 WEEKS!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KAMAK
May 9, 2012, 10:42 PM
just sent an email to John Walsh. Thanks for posting this.

Havok7416
May 10, 2012, 04:03 AM
Oh YAY! I'm planning on getting my CHP/L when I get home though so this probably won't matter. I still support the idea completely!

Havok7416
May 20, 2012, 06:02 AM
Does anyone know if this went through?

USAF_Vet
May 20, 2012, 02:58 PM
Looks like its up for another vote on the 24th.

andrewstorm
May 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
Please contact your representatives,only 4 days till the vote.....see link above! :D

7.62 Nato
May 20, 2012, 04:31 PM
So this will eliminate the PP but still require registration? Will it require a FOID card (or equivelent) for private purchase, or sale ? Will this eliminate DPD illegally charging mandatory $10 notary fee ?

langenc
May 20, 2012, 05:42 PM
No foids-this is NOT ILLanois.

spartywrx
May 20, 2012, 08:38 PM
Hi guys.

I've been running this bill on a few other Michigan related sites already. The bill HB 5225 has a proposed amendment to eliminate registration and permit to purchase. I was at the committee meeting last week and it needs some support. The vote will be on 5/24/2012 at 10am. NRA ILA is actively lobbying for this bill with the amendment.

I created an auto email system to send a pre-made message of support for the bill. So far we have gotten 95 more emails sent to the clerk of the committee (she handles the pro/anti comments to bills)

Here's a link to the form emailer.

http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/G9065wq8533Zu2Ea7xe0

Any questions click the link and my email is in the description at the bottom.

SKILCZ
May 20, 2012, 10:13 PM
E-mailed every member of the committee last week.

smalls
May 21, 2012, 12:33 AM
Emails sent.

Havok7416
May 21, 2012, 03:19 AM
I just sent my e-mail in. Thanks for the link!

USAF_Vet
May 21, 2012, 07:34 PM
Sent as well. Hoping this passes and the Stand your Ground restriction gets stomped in the dirt.

SKILCZ
May 21, 2012, 08:05 PM
Judiciary Committee e-mails for easy cutting & pasting if you want to e-mail them all:

JohnWalsh@house.mi.gov
KurtHeise@house.mi.gov
kennethhorn@house.mi.gov
KurtDamrow@house.mi.gov
PaulMuxlow@house.mi.gov
BradJacobsen@house.mi.gov
PeterPettalia@house.mi.gov
patsomerville@house.mi.gov
KevinCotter@house.mi.gov
JosephGraves@house.mi.gov
markmeadows@house.mi.gov
bobconstan@house.mi.gov
stacyerwinoakes@house.mi.gov
lisabrown@house.mi.gov
jeffirwin@house.mi.gov
philcavanagh@house.mi.gov
johnolumba@house.mi.gov

Jim K
May 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
I know a former MI resident who defends that law. He is not anti-gun but it is his contention that the law is needed to keep the "wrong kind of people", not just felons, from buying guns. Since his idea of the "wrong kind of people" is almost anyone who is not a white Protestant of German extraction (like himself), I have to wonder how the law is enforced in a way that satisfies him.

Jim

andrewstorm
May 30, 2012, 11:44 PM
go Michigan pro gun reps.................:D

smalls
May 30, 2012, 11:57 PM
I'm sure glad he's a former resident, Jim.

SKILCZ
June 4, 2012, 09:28 PM
Below is a reply I got from Jeff Irwin, FYI. Those of you in his district should give him a piece of your mind unless you want NICS for personal sales.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about this issue. Gun control measures are usually challenging for me because I believe that citizens have a right to own firearms; but also that the government should play a role in maintaining public safety, such as by prohibiting violent felons from acquiring weapons.

I am fully in favor of eliminating unnecessary and redundant paperwork for gun purchasing, but we can't ignore the safety problem that firearms can pose when they get into the wrong hands. Forty five percent of firearms are currently sold through means other than a federally licensed dealer; buying them with this method allows people to avoid background checks. This is a loophole that needs to be closed.

Getting rid of the useless paperwork is something I support, but there are other issues with gun laws that require immediate attention. Without an amendment providing for background checks on unlicensed sales, I am afraid I cannot support HB 5225. If such an amendment is added, I will certainly give the bill my consideration.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I hope we can find a way to work together on this issue to both eliminate red tape and promote proper gun safety.

Sincerely,

Jeff Irwin
53rd District
State of Michigan
517-373-2577
http://053.housedems.com
JeffIrwin@house.mi.gov

Yo Mama
June 5, 2012, 10:00 PM
^ "Oh sure I'm for the 2nd!" - any politician trying to get in office

How many times I've asked how much they support it. Scammers won't get my support, and if you don't know where they stand while bothering me telling me all about them then you already lost my vote.

I want an unashamed supporter.

At least he was honest with his reply, he's not a pro gun politician...he's a normal politician. When are they up for re-election?

RatDrall
June 7, 2012, 08:30 AM
^ "Oh sure I'm for the 2nd!" - any politician trying to get in office

How many times I've asked how much they support it.

The same can be said about a great many members of this forum.

andrewstorm
June 7, 2012, 06:51 PM
From a Ann arbor democrat? they are mostly anti gun rights

USAF_Vet
June 9, 2012, 02:29 AM
I haven't heard... What was the outcome?

Librarian
June 10, 2012, 05:17 AM
Bill status page here: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%285m1jgn450m0agp4502edgt3w%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2011-HB-5225

No action since 5/24.

With the recommendation that the substitute (H-3) be adopted and that the bill then pass.

The bill and substitute were referred to the order of Second Reading of Bills.

Favorable Roll Call

To Report Out:

Yeas: Reps. Walsh, Heise, Damrow, Muxlow, Jacobsen, Pettalia, Somerville, Cotter and Graves

Nays: Reps. Irwin and Olumba I have no idea what "H-3" contains.

MikePGS
June 14, 2012, 01:50 AM
"H-3" appears to be a third version of the bill by the House, but that is only a guess. It appears that they are on H-4 via the link provided.

creitzel
June 14, 2012, 09:02 PM
I haven't heard... What was the outcome?
just got this from the NRA today:

Today, the Michigan House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to repeal the state handgun “permit-to-purchase” and registration requirements. House Bill 5225 passed in the state House by a 74 to 36 vote. HB 5225 would repeal the bureaucratic state “permit-to-purchase” handguns and instead utilize the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System. House Bill 5498 and House Bill 5499 also passed in the state House along with HB 5225. These three bills now go to the state Senate where they will be assigned to the appropriate committees. ...

Here's (http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2012/6/michigan-house-votes-overwhelmingly-to-repeal-permit-to-purchase-and-registration.aspx) a link to the full story. :)

USAF_Vet
June 14, 2012, 09:57 PM
Nice. I'm glad it hadn't stalled and is moving forward. Keeping my fingers crossed that the state senate handles this like the house did.

Hopefully Gov. Snyder will sign it and we can rid of that pointless registration.

Havok7416
June 15, 2012, 03:38 AM
I hate to be a PITA but does anyone know when the Senate will be looking at this?

ezkl2230
June 15, 2012, 10:33 AM
Michigan House Votes Overwhelmingly to Repeal Permit-to-Purchase and Registration

Yesterday, the Michigan House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to repeal the state handgun “permit-to-purchase” and registration requirements. House Bill 5225 passed in the state House by a 74 to 36 vote. HB 5225 would repeal the bureaucratic state “permit-to-purchase” handguns and instead utilize the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System. House Bill 5498 and House Bill 5499 also passed in the state House along with HB 5225. These three bills now go to the state Senate where they will be assigned to the appropriate committees.

HB 5225, sponsored by state Representative Paul Opsommer (R-93), which became obsolete when the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) took effect in 1998. Under the current state process, gun buyers must apply with their local law enforcement agency and pass a written test before being authorized to buy a handgun. This “permit” is valid for only one gun and it expires after ten days. Since 1998, federal law has required a national criminal records check for the purchase of any firearm, from any gun dealer, in every state.

Some of the key points of HB 5225 as amended are:

Repeal the state requirement to seek police permission to purchase a firearm by traveling to a local police station and obtaining a permit to purchase.

Repeal the requirement to register a completely legally purchased and owned firearm by a law-abiding citizen to be registered with the government through the police (all records currently on file with law enforcement, with the exception of those held as evidence in criminal cases, must be destroyed within six months of final passage of the bill - added)

Adopt the use of the federally-funded National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

Default to the federal standard of prohibited persons and each purchase would still require a background check.

Cut Michigan’s costs by using the federally-administered national instant background check system and eliminate wasted man-hours of tracking lawful gun owners in Michigan.

The NRA has been working diligently to repeal this antiquated, costly and unnecessary obstacle for gun owners and has coordinated with several state Representatives to produce the new language for HB 5225. HB 5498, sponsored by state Representative Richard LeBlanc (D-18), provides for the legal penalties relating to firearms and other weapons. HB 5499, sponsored by state Representative Ray Franz (R-101), clarifies the regulations regarding the sale of firearms to “prohibited persons” and makes them consistent with federal standards.

From NRA/ILA bulletin received on 6/14/12.

Now it's on to the state senate!!! Each of our state senators need to be contacted to urge their support of these bills. If you need to find the contact information for the senator from your district, this link will take you to the web site of the Michigan Legislature: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(p2f2g255prucvceyyxxbx155))/mileg.aspx?page=legislators

Our work is just beginning. It is unknown if Gov. Snyder will sign these bills once they are passed in the state senate, so he needs to understand how much support there is for these bills.

We also need to bring pressure on the senate to vote on and pass SB 59, which would do away with pistol free zones in Michigan for concealed carriers. At this time, Sen. Richardville (http://www.misenategop.com/senators/Richardville.asp?District=17), the senate majority leader, refuses to schedule this measure for a vote. It was approved in committee and brought to the full senate nearly three months ago. I don't agree with the requirements it adds to CCers if they wish to carry in pistol free zones (9 more hours of class time, nearly two more boxes of rounds, and a written request for permission to CC in pistol free zones), so now is the time to contact all of our state senators in Lansing to urge them to amend the bill to remove the additional requirements, and to put pressure on Sen. Richardville to schedule it for a vote.

ezkl2230
June 15, 2012, 02:37 PM
It was passed in the House on 06/13/12. Goes to the Senate now.

ezkl2230
June 15, 2012, 02:38 PM
I hate to be a PITA but does anyone know when the Senate will be looking at this?
Probably not until the fall. The legislature is on its summer break until 7/21/12.

Havok7416
June 15, 2012, 04:32 PM
Well now sadness is creeping in...:( I will only be back in Michigan during a certain limited window.

spartywrx
June 17, 2012, 09:50 PM
hey guys

I haven't posted here in forever, mostly on MGO and arfcom michigan.

In case you didn't already know these bills passed the House and are now in the Judiciary committee.

I created a mailer system for the House committee and full House votes. If you want to see how well we did check out the House Judiciary committee's testimony page with 200+ emails sent via my mailer.

If you want to help out try out the email sender located here:
http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/Co5e23UTgh7
Share it with friends and family. So far we're at ~120 emails sent in favor of these bills.

Any questions email me using my address which is located on the mailer form.

Havok7416
June 18, 2012, 06:00 AM
I have used your fancy mailer and already got an auto response back from the Senate Committee.

Chevelle SS
August 15, 2012, 05:53 PM
They were supposed to vote on this today. Does anyone know if it passed?

andrewstorm
August 16, 2012, 01:23 PM
5225 Passed house /senate favorably recommended to take immediate effect....then......9/12/12......another vote? one more step to it becoming law? looks like a green light on the entire bill package.......they have to slip in some other clause.....or provision :)

spartywrx
August 26, 2012, 07:09 PM
5225 Passed house /senate favorably recommended to take immediate effect....then......9/12/12......another vote? one more step to it becoming law? looks like a green light on the entire bill package.......they have to slip in some other clause.....or provision

Yep one more vote then onto Snyder.

I haven't been posting this over here because I've been following it on Michigan specific forums but here is an easy link to email your reps if you live in Michigan.

http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/6td0y3ALb8JfIaY63Mr

And here is a page showing how many emails we've sent so far:

https://www.emailmeform.com/builder/reports/W1LkmczCpB8oddjIRa7q

We got 300+ for the Senate Judiciary Committee version.

ezkl2230
August 26, 2012, 08:09 PM
It is out of the Senate judiciary committee and needs to be scheduled for a vote. See this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=673526

folks -- we need to be pulling out all the stops to get these bills passed, especially by contacting Sen Majority Leader Richardville, the man who is responsible for scheduling the vote. My other posting covers this.

MikePGS
September 12, 2012, 11:46 PM
Looking good gentlemen!

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28kjo3ud45ogmjw555qr52rha3%29%29/documents/2011-2012/Journal/Senate/pdf/2012-SJ-09-11-063.pdf

The Committee on Judiciary reported
House Bill No. 5225, entitled
A bill to amend 1927 PA 372, entitled “An act to regulate and license the selling, purchasing, possessing, and carrying of certain firearms and gas ejecting devices; to prohibit the buying, selling, or carrying of certain firearms and gas ejecting devices without a license or other authorization; to provide for the forfeiture of firearms under certain circumstances; to provide for penalties and remedies; to provide immunity from civil liability under certain circumstances; to prescribe the powers and duties of certain state and local agencies; to prohibit certain conduct against individuals who apply for or receive a license to carry a concealed pistol; to make appropriations; to prescribe certain conditions for the appropriations; and to repeal all acts and parts of acts inconsistent with this act,” by amending sections 2b, 6, and 14a (MCL 28.422b, 28.426, and 28.434a), section 2b as amended by 2001 PA 199, section 6 as added by 2005 PA 242, and section 14a as added by 2010 PA 295, and by adding section 2c; and to repeal acts and parts of acts.
With the recommendation that the bill pass.
The committee further recommends that the bill be given immediate effect.
Rick Jones
Chairperson
To Report Out:
Yeas: Senators Jones, Schuitmaker and Rocca
Nays: Senator Bieda
The bill was referred to the Committee of the Whole.

hso
September 13, 2012, 12:37 AM
Hijacking a thread is rude.

Hijacking a thread with a non firearms topic is against the rules of THR that you promised to uphold and this forum.

STAY ON THE TOPIC AND OFF MOTORCYCLE OR OTHER NON FIREARMS TOPICS.

bigfatdave
September 13, 2012, 10:31 AM
wow, this has been two weeks away for a long time
maybe a title change would make it more informative?

andrewstorm
September 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
Please call your senator.........................

Ryanxia
September 14, 2012, 03:02 PM
Any update on this?

MikePGS
September 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
The senate needs to vote on it, then if approved Snyder needs to sign it. So far it seems to have cruised through both houses it just needs to be voted on but I believe theres a small window that its eligible to be voted on.

andrewstorm
September 22, 2012, 01:58 PM
Its stalled cause of opposition from the govs office,and msp.....:confused:

bigfatdave
September 22, 2012, 09:39 PM
looks like
Its stalled cause of opposition from the govs office,and mspI thought the vote was in 2 WEEKS!!1!1!!

andrewstorm
October 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
The anti gun coalition pressured snyder into not signing hb5225 while lying to all by saying the bill would allow mentaly ill,and criminals to leagally buy handguns,now the senate has enough votes to override snyders veto,no votes for snyder from me or mine ever .

andrewstorm
October 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
Call your senator,today tell him overide snyder

USAF_Vet
October 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
Grr, will do. Won't be voting for that guy again.

USAF_Vet
October 16, 2012, 04:16 PM
Sent an email to Senator Rick Jones, and will call his office tomorrow.

Hope Snyder enjoys his last two years in the mansion, I won't be voting for him again.

Havok7416
October 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
Well this just plain sucks!

USAF_Vet
October 17, 2012, 11:05 PM
I got a reply from Sen. Jones. Basically, like a true politician, he answered without answering. He reiterated the fact that he supported the bill when the Senate voted on it, but skipped over answering when I directly asked if be would author or support a measure to over ride the Governors decision.

Now, with all the wild and rampant speculation over the possibility of a future gun-ban, we should be pressuring our state and federal leaders even more about where we stand on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

bigfatdave
October 18, 2012, 10:16 AM
so they're still going to do this in two weeks?

USAF_Vet
October 18, 2012, 02:07 PM
No, the title is old. House passed the bill, Senate passed the bill, Governor vetoed the bill, we're now waiting to see if the senate super majority over rides the veto. We should find something today.

mr.scott
October 18, 2012, 02:40 PM
Good luck guys. If you contact your reps remind them that the current system doesn't work. Look at Detroit.

HOWARD J
October 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
Hope you guys win
I have had a MI CPL (CCW) since they came out & then some.
It allows me to just walk in to a gun shop & purchase ( with FBI check) a handgun & be on my way in about 15 minutes----I do have to mail the paper work to my local Police station

USAF_Vet
October 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
I'm taking my CPL class next weekend. But even with the CPL, don't you need to send all the infor to register the pistol to the MSP?

HOWARD J
October 18, 2012, 03:19 PM
Your gun shop sends to MSP
You only have to send a copy ( gun shop gives you) to your local Police station---you can hand deliver if you got nothing to do----:D

USAF_Vet
October 19, 2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks Howard, that's what I needed to know.

Any word on how HB 5225 went? Haven't read any updates.

HOWARD J
October 21, 2012, 02:04 AM
I have heard nothing--quiet
I may be wrong but I don't think the MI congress has the guts to overide the Governor---time will tell

Kaeto
October 21, 2012, 10:14 PM
It has not been voted on by the entire senate. I has only been voted out of committee.

KAMAK
October 22, 2012, 03:34 PM
Who at the MSP is advising snyder? Could we email them a piece of our mind. Ive had it with them.

ezkl2230
October 24, 2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks Howard, that's what I needed to know.

Any word on how HB 5225 went? Haven't read any updates.
Passed in the House by a 2:1 margin, approved unanimously by the Senate Judiciary Committee. However, the Senate leaders are giving in to a Gov. Snyder request to hold off on a vote, even though it appears that it will pass with a supermajority (enough to override Snyder's veto). MSP wants to maintain easy access to all pistol owner records, and Snyder, cozy with Obama, is not a real supporter of Second Amendment rights to begin with. There are only a few sessions left in this legislative year, and we need to bring MASSIVE pressure on these legislators to get this on the agenda for a vote while there is still time - or we have to start all over again next year.

Contact Sen. Richardville (Senate Majority Leader) and Gov. Snyder ASAP, and urge them to get this on the agenda WITHOUT THE MSP AMENDMENTS - and copy the senator from your district.

I sent the following email to Sen. Richardville today:

Senator Richardville,

I realize that I am not from your district, which is why this is copied to my senator as well.

It is my understanding, based on reports that have appeared on Mlive and other media outlets, that a vote on HB 5225 and its companion bills has been delayed at the request of the governor.

What I do not understand is, why?

Governor Snyder made it clear during his campaign that he was running a self-funded campaign for one reason: so that he would have free rein to pursue his own agenda, free from the constraints of the party leadership in both houses. On a number of occasions, he has demonstrated just what this means, his actions following his failed efforts to procure enough legislative support for the new bridge being the biggest example. Additionally, his efforts to cozy up to the President make several of his decisions and policies he has pursued highly suspect. He enjoys his close relationship with the President, and wants to insure that nothing interferes with that relationship.

But while he desires to be free from the oversight of party leadership, he still feels right at home whipping Republicans into line to back his personal agenda.

It is time for the Governor to learn a hard political lesson. It is time for him to understand that, if he desires continued cooperation from Senate and House Republicans, he needs to reciprocate that cooperation.

I can think of no better pieces of legislation with which to drive home this lesson than HB 5225 and its companion bills.

This package of bills came out of the House with tremendous support, passing by a 2 to one margin.

It came out of the Senate Judiciary Committee with unanimous support.

There is every indicator that it will pass in the Senate with enough votes to override a Governor's veto.

It is time for the Governor to learn a very important political lesson: there can be no cooperation without reciprocation. He campaigned in a manner that would free him of party constraint; fine, then he must learn that obtaining that cooperation comes with a price: reciprocation.

We only have a few sessions left in this legislative year. This legislation needs to be passed before the end of this year. It is time to stop playing politics with this package of bills. The firearms community has proven itself to be worthy of public trust. Firearms ownership and CPL applications are at all-time highs, yet violent crime continues to trend down to levels not seen in years. We have proven ourselves.

Stop playing politics with our rights (Article 1 Section 6, Constitution of the State of Michigan) and pass this legislation.

Sincerely,

Old Fuff
October 25, 2012, 12:01 PM
For what it's worth, I received this today (Thur. Oct. 25, 2012).

Thank you for your recent correspondence sent to Governor Snyder's office. I have been assigned your correspondence and am responding on behalf of Governor Snyder.

If you are interested in advocating for this legislation, I suggest you contact your state legislators and bring your concerns to their attention. The bill you referred to is still going through the legislative process. It has passed the Michigan House of Representatives but must still pass the State Senate in identical form before it reaches Governor Snyder's desk. Hoping to be of some assistance, you can use the links below to locate the contact information for your legislators.

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/fysenator/fysenator.htm
http://house.michigan.gov/mhrpublic/

Thank you, again, for your recent correspondence. If this bill reaches Governor Snyder's desk, be assured that he will have your thoughts close at hand when making a decision. Remember that you can track the status of this bill at http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2011-HB-5225. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact this office.

Laura Stoken
Constituent Services Specialist
Executive Office of the Governor, Rick Snyder
O: 517-335-7858

Kaeto
October 25, 2012, 12:39 PM
Just a form letter. Everyone who has written the Governor about this has gotten an identical one.

Old Fuff
October 25, 2012, 01:48 PM
Just a form letter. Everyone who has written the Governor about this has gotten an identical one.

For sure. But if a bill does hit the Governor's desk something has to give. At this point I wonder if the game plan is to stall until after the election. :uhoh:

Kaeto
October 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
The Mi Senate don't go back into session until after the election.

andrewstorm
October 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
After the election,maybe old fuff has somthing,the state police have a steak in this,theyll loose jobs in register dept,amd state checks may allow some police with domestic violence covictions pre 2001 ,and draft dodgers who were pardoned,may be considered prohibited persons,because pre 2001 felons with non specifide felony convictions could posses guns under michigan law.

ezkl2230
October 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
The Mi Senate don't go back into session until after the election.
Actually, it does. The senate has sessions scheduled for Nov. 8, 27-29, Dec. 4-6, 11-13 (tentatively), 18-20 (tentatively). And they wonder why we continue to pursue a part-time state legislature like most other states have. http://www.senate.michigan.gov/tvschedule/calendar.html

ezkl2230
October 25, 2012, 05:13 PM
For what it's worth, I received this today (Thur. Oct. 25, 2012).
I received a similar letter from Lt. Gov. Calley some time ago; he is the president of the state senate.

Kaeto
October 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Actually, it does. The senate has sessions scheduled for Nov. 8, 27-29, Dec. 4-6, 11-13 (tentatively), 18-20 (tentatively). And they wonder why we continue to pursue a part-time state legislature like most other states have. http://www.senate.michigan.gov/tvschedule/calendar.html

Actually the dates you give are after the election since it's Nov 6.

ezkl2230
October 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
Actually the dates you give are after the election since it's Nov 6.
Sorry -- my misunderstanding! You are correct. the 10/17 session was the last one for this month; in fact, it was the ONLY session for October, and there were only 6 sessions the entire month of September. This is done (though I disagree with the reasoning) so that legislators have an opportunity to focus on their campaigns before the elections. I disagree because anyone running against an incumbent has to find a way to both continue working AND run a campaign at the same time. The advantage goes to the incumbent.

ezkl2230
October 25, 2012, 07:55 PM
After the election,maybe old fuff has somthing,the state police have a steak in this,theyll loose jobs in register dept,amd state checks may allow some police with domestic violence covictions pre 2001 ,and draft dodgers who were pardoned,may be considered prohibited persons,because pre 2001 felons with non specifide felony convictions could posses guns under michigan law.
Actually, by not having to worry about time-consuming background checks (NICS would take care of this) and maintaining a pistol owner registry, all those officers currently assigned to those duties can concentrate instead on REAL police work!

Old Fuff
October 25, 2012, 08:08 PM
There is no reason that letter writers can't point out they've noticed that action on this bill was put off until after the election, and should it go down in flames you will still remember when future elections come along. A few letters won't concern them. A continuing flood will. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "MI House committee considers purchase permit repeal IN 2 WEEKS!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!