sks ?

PDA

RichardBeard
May 3, 2012, 09:15 AM
Recently converted an sk to external clip it is very hard to get in and out any suggestions.

If you enjoyed reading about "sks ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
towboat_er
May 3, 2012, 09:19 AM
Most magazines don't fit well. I ground off a little of the forward part.

towboat_er
May 3, 2012, 09:20 AM
dbl post

bigfatdave
May 3, 2012, 09:59 AM
any suggestionsstop messing with a working design?

Snowdog
May 3, 2012, 10:06 AM
Yes, you will have to work with each magazine to smooth things out. I find the SKS is not well suited for use with detachable magazines.

Most folks that I know who have removed the 10 round fixed box mag for use with detachable mags end up converting it back to the 10 round fixed box. I'm one of them. I found the SKS was virtually 100% reliable with the original magazine and a sketchy performer that was less manueverable with the 30 round mags.

Much can be done with the original magazine and a bandolier of 10 rounds stripper clips.

However, if you're set on detachable magazines, then you're best off fiddling with each one if they stick or don't want to seat easily. I had a few, both polymer and steel, that I had to take a file to.

sarge83
May 3, 2012, 11:03 AM
I bought one bubbed norinco and have the same issue, its a pain in the butt to switch mags.

As the other poster stated, most go back to the 10 rd. issued magazine and use stripper clips.

If you want an sks with a truly detachable magazine look for a norinco D or M model, they take AK mags and have an AK type mag release. Be prepared to pay$$$ though.

dastardly-D
May 3, 2012, 11:34 AM
Years ago I bought one of the factory converted SKS's that take AK mags.I didn't have the slightest problem with any AK mag I tried,so I guess the whole problem comes down to having the skill and info to do the job correctly.Don't anybody take that statement as a bust on youself,you may just need more info on the correct way to do the job.I also had a friend file some of the magwell,if I remember correct,and fit a 75 round drum.I never had any problems with either setup.......The thing is,why not just get an AK,it's easier to take apart than a SKS ?

X-Rap
May 3, 2012, 11:53 AM
d-D, I don't think the OP has a AK mag converted rifle but rather one that takes the very odd "duck billed" mags like those made by USA for replacement of the factory 10 rd style.
His results and those of others who have posted are quite typical and I know of no one that is actually using that system with any success.
The factory conversions that take actual AK mags seem to work pretty well I have two and they work as well as a MAK 90 does.
All my standard SKS rifles have the 10 rd box and are reliable and I bet I can shoot 30 as fast from an empty gun as someone tinkering with one of those conversion mags.

Driftertank
May 3, 2012, 12:21 PM
I have a Norinco SKS, I toyed with the idea of converting to 20 or 30rd detachable mags....until i handled one so equipped at a local pawn shop. Spent about 2 minutes fiddling with the thing and never got it seat properly. Then i realised that in the time i'd spent playing with it, i could have loaded and fired 50 or 60 rounds, aimed, by loading from stripper clips.

ZGunner
May 3, 2012, 12:24 PM
I'm another one who's had the detachable and switched back. With a lil practice the strippers work just as fast as changing out mags.

SlowFuse
May 3, 2012, 12:41 PM
I've always been a Tapco fan but even they can't produce a detatchable mag that functions in my russian. The only viable alternative is lucking up and finding a chinese 20 rd box magazine. I've got one, just don't use it bc mixing Chinese and Russian just seems like bad juju. However, it worked flawlessly for the 100 or so rounds I put through it.

briansmithwins
May 3, 2012, 12:42 PM
If you want a AK just buy a AK...

BSW

jrdolall
May 3, 2012, 12:45 PM
I have a Russian SKS with a Tapco folding stock and the 30 round Tapco works perfectly in that configuration. I decided to go back to the wood stock and the 30 round mag is a pain. I just put the 10 rounder back in and use the stripper clips.

Steel Horse Rider
May 3, 2012, 01:18 PM
Years ago I bought a Chinese SKS which had an aftermarket nylon stock and a removeable mag which worked well. I also got the original furniture in the deal so I put it back to stock and gave the aftermarket stuff to a nephew who wanted to bubba his SKS. The secret to smooth removeable magazine feeding is location, location, location which is why I think the change in the stock is necessary.

happygeek
May 3, 2012, 08:13 PM
I just recently got a Yugo SKS in excellent condition for $300; I don't plan on doing anything to it except buying stripper clips and ammo. I wanted it specifically because it's a semi-auto military rifle with a conventional wood stock and fixed magazine that shoots an affordable caliber. There's not any other rifles that fit that description for $300 in like new condition that I'm aware of.

The evil grenade launcher, bayonet, and night sights are a cool bonus.

dprice3844444
May 3, 2012, 08:29 PM
they also sell a 20rd fixed and a 5rd fixed for hunting.e-sarcoinc.com

carbine85
May 3, 2012, 09:58 PM
Original SKS rifles are bringing a premium and going up. The duckbill mags don't bring anything to the party. I wouldn't mess around with the Tapco mags.

eam3clm@att.net
May 3, 2012, 10:47 PM
I have a norico sks with a tapco stock along with the tapco 20rd removeable mags. I dont shoot it alot but so far it has been 100% reliable. The mags were a tight fit at first.

ritepath
May 3, 2012, 11:03 PM
Here's a better story...

I was given an SKS (1956) by my BIL. The stock had been all kinds of screwed up by someone trying to use detachable mags, along with lots of scars.

So I bought a Tapco stock and a couple of 20 round mags. I liked it well enough..and I never got around to shooting it. After two years I decided to change it back to the factory magazine. Then last year I bought a stock at a flea market and converted it back 100%.

Oh and I still haven't shot it...but I told my son a few days ago I'd let him shoot it. Maybe this weekend. :D

newfalguy101
May 3, 2012, 11:50 PM
I must be one of only about 6 people in the world that have SKS's that RUN just fine with "duckbill" mags.

Its true that each mag needs to be fitted to the gun, but, its only a bit of file work and a few minutes.

Its also true that it takes a certian amount of practice to effeciently change mags.

HJ857
May 4, 2012, 12:10 AM
Recently converted an sk to external clip it is very hard to get in and out any suggestions.

So is it a Tapco mag or some other mag? Tapco says right on the instructions that a magwell in an original wood stock needs to be widened a couple millimeters to work properly. I've been using Tapco 20's since they first came out and they've always worked.

If it isn't a Tapco mag, then yeah, you're on your own.

If you enjoyed reading about "sks ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!