My new ammo storage solution

PDA

sleepyone
May 3, 2012, 12:39 PM
My wife and I are going through the licensing process to foster to adopt, and one of the requirements is to have my ammo stored and locked in a separate location. They won't even let me lock my ammo separately in the same closet as my gun safe. I have always used ammo cans to store ammo and have accumulated many of them, which was going to make locking each one a hassle, and I would have to move them to a different closet anyway. My solution was to buy a locking truck box from Tractor Supply and only keep two ammo boxes for transporting. The box is all steel with three locking points and a waterproof seal. It was only $219. I actually like this solution better because I can do inventory at a glance and access all my ammo at once. And as you can see, I did not give up any "floor" storage space since it opens from the front instead of the top. The dimensions are 48"x18"x18"

Hopefully, this helps others in a similar situation. BTW, I am selling my ammo cans under the Accessories thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "My new ammo storage solution" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rodregier
May 3, 2012, 12:44 PM
Indicating the geographic location/legislative regime you are complying with would help the other members in a different situation to better grasp the nature of the legal compliance problem you are solving.

crracer_712
May 3, 2012, 12:45 PM
Looks good. How did they react initially when they found out you had guns?

loneviking
May 3, 2012, 12:52 PM
That's a good solution I hadn't thought of. I don't remember ever seeing a truck box that opens from the front here where I live. Gonna have to hunt one up....thanks!

roadchoad
May 3, 2012, 02:28 PM
Not to knock your choice, it looks very sturdy, but wouldn't an $89 stack-on 8-gun turned on it's side do the same thing?

303tom
May 3, 2012, 02:44 PM
I use old gym lockers I bought for 10 bucks a piece.........

henschman
May 3, 2012, 02:50 PM
Are you saying that you can't even keep a loaded gun around? All the ammo and all the guns have to be locked up separately? How long must you comply with this rule?

THowie
May 3, 2012, 02:59 PM
Excellent storage unit. Curious to know what it was designed to house...

Gordon_Freeman
May 3, 2012, 05:56 PM
I didn't think you could even have firearms in the house if you were planning to adopt. Do they inspect all of your firearms and ammo?

JoeMal
May 3, 2012, 06:15 PM
I'm also curious about the terms of the ammo/guns in the house....if you don't mind spilling those beans

Great idea though if it works for you. Good luck on the adpotion.

And nice boots ;)

sleepyone
May 3, 2012, 06:44 PM
To answer several questions:
I am in Texas. We are going through a private Christian-based agency that contracts with Texas CPS to place children in homes for fostering and adoption.

In the old days, you could not own a single gun or round of ammo if you wanted to go through the state. Now, you just have to keep them locked up separately at all times. That is going to be a little hard for us since we both carry. I'm working through that one right now.

I only have to comply until an adoption is finalized. That will take awhile though because we have to foster for at least six months before we can begin the adoption process. That is to make sure the kids like us and we like the kids!

The box is really designed for the bed of a truck like a flush-mounted tool box. I guess I could have used an $89 gun safe on its side, but the shelves would not work, the front door would be much heavier and is designed to be opened vertically whereas this truck box had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. I will get my money back on the sale of my extra ammo cans then it will have cost about $100.

I also wanted something that looked nice since it is in my, and my wife's, closet and could be used for something else later on.

I have to provide make, model, serial numbers for every gun. The only way to avoid that is to keep your guns outside your home in a shop or detached garage. We have a detached garage and several outbuildings, but I don't want to keep my guns in a building away from my home in a non-climate controlled environment.

Finally, thanks for the boot compliment. Gotta wear boots if you want to live like a true Texan.

Thanks for all your input!

Mike Sr.
May 3, 2012, 06:53 PM
I love it, could even put another on top....great thinking outta the box solution..

Owen Sparks
May 3, 2012, 06:59 PM
So how do you plan to protect the children in case of a home invasion if you can't lay hands on a loaded gun in a hurry?

brboyer
May 3, 2012, 07:34 PM
I didn't think you could even have firearms in the house if you were planning to adopt. Do they inspect all of your firearms and ammo?
In Florida, it is illegal for an adoption agency to even ask about firearms/ammunition, let alone required any conditions related to them.

bluethunder1962
May 3, 2012, 07:44 PM
Cool idea. Good luck with the adoption. Thanks for helping a kid out................ You wouldn't happen to work for tractor supply would you? hehe

Ruezim
May 3, 2012, 07:47 PM
That would work perfectly for what I need. Do you know how much weight it can handle? If I could mount it to a wall it would be the perfectt fit for my gunroom in process.

sleepyone
May 3, 2012, 09:55 PM
"You wouldn't happen to work for tractor supply would you? hehe"

Nope, but I should have some of their stock!

"So how do you plan to protect the children in case of a home invasion if you can't lay hands on a loaded gun in a hurry?"

Well..... sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission, so I don't think I'm going to put myself or my family in that situation. I have to balance my desire to practice my 2A rights with my and my wife's desire to adopt a couple of boys. Life it not always as cut and dried as we would like it. This intrusion is only for a short time in the grand scheme of things.

rodregier
May 3, 2012, 10:42 PM
Lot of charm in an over-engineered solution than one which folds from the load. Design margins are a good thing :-) Seems like a good solution to the problem constraints presented.

TennJed
May 3, 2012, 10:55 PM
Great idea and good luck with the adoption.

Sorry to get off topic, but nice boots. The only thing I like better than Tony Lama is Sturm Ruger

newbuckeye
May 3, 2012, 11:05 PM
I use that exact same size box! The only difference is mine was mounted under my semi trailer for about a year so it isn't as purdy.....but it serve the same purpose!

Drail
May 3, 2012, 11:35 PM
Make sure your box has some venting in it so in a fire the pressure is not allowed to build up until it becomes a bomb. Your fire dept. will thank you.

Flopsweat
May 4, 2012, 08:00 AM
I use old gym lockers I bought for 10 bucks a piece.........
You didn't happen to get those online did you? I can't find any locally and the only ones I could find online were way more than $10.

Jaxondog
May 4, 2012, 08:12 AM
I like it and think I may do the same thing. Thank's for sharing.

dab102999
May 4, 2012, 08:18 AM
Never thought if that, it looks good for sure plus is easily stackable if you find the need to get another one. And nothin a table cloth wouldn't cover and make look like a bench to sit on and change the shoes too..

The-Reaver
May 4, 2012, 08:26 AM
I like it.

ultradoc
May 4, 2012, 08:29 AM
That's a neat idea and it looks really great. Maybe even better than the chrome ones. I was thinking about the old gym locker idea myself. Nice boots and good luck with the adoption.

Double Vision
May 4, 2012, 08:30 AM
That's a great idea.
Good luck!

Ryanxia
May 4, 2012, 01:00 PM
Good luck and cool storage idea. I would love to have that.

doc540
May 4, 2012, 08:09 PM
A countryboy can survive!

KTXdm9
May 4, 2012, 10:44 PM
Very nice! I'm disturbed you have to suspend your 2A rights to adopt. Can't say I'm surprised though.

303tom
May 5, 2012, 10:41 AM
You didn't happen to get those online did you? I can't find any locally and the only ones I could find online were way more than $10.
NO; I found them at a old local High School.........

sleepyone
May 5, 2012, 11:47 PM
Quote:
"Make sure your box has some venting in it so in a fire the pressure is not allowed to build up until it becomes a bomb. Your fire dept. will thank you."

There actually are two small holes in the back with plastic caps on them. I wondered what those are for.

This is off topic, but how in the heck do I include a quote in the box when responding to a post? I have tried several things but am obviously missing something. Please help!

BTW, thanks for the feedback. Nice to see some others have used this same box for the same purpose. I did not realize there so many Tony Lama fans! I used to be a Justin guy, but about 14 years ago I gave a pair of TLs a try because the Justins I liked were out of stock, and I have never looked back.

statelineblues
May 6, 2012, 12:03 PM
This is off topic, but how in the heck do I include a quote in the box when responding to a post? I have tried several things but am obviously missing something. Please help!

I'm assuming you mean like this...^^

Just Cut and Paste whatever you want to quote, then when you are in the "POST REPLY" paste it back in , highlight it (like you are going to C & P again), and go up to the top and click on the little icon that looks like the bubbles you see in the cartoons.

Nice idea! Good luck!

shuvelrider
May 6, 2012, 12:34 PM
Great idea. If a person has the space, frame in a counter/bench and then you could bolt that box to the top of it. Would not have to get down on the ground to access it.

sleepyone
May 6, 2012, 09:19 PM
I'm assuming you mean like this...^^

thanks for the info, stateline blues.

horsemen61
October 5, 2012, 04:41 PM
I like it alot

StrawHat
October 5, 2012, 04:54 PM
...This is off topic, but how in the heck do I include a quote in the box when responding to a post? I have tried several things but am obviously missing something. Please help!...

Another way is to click on the quill and paper icon in the lower right corner of the post. Type in your answer, click "Quote message in reply?" under the options, and post your reply. To edit things from the original quote, click edit response after it is posted.

CoRoMo
October 5, 2012, 05:03 PM
Awesome set up!

A while back, I broke down and bought one of these just for the ammo, spare mags, holsters, choke tubes and other little accessories because those things take up too much space in the gun safe.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_224976_999_01?hei=380&wid=380

leadcounsel
October 5, 2012, 05:04 PM
Used steel truck tool boxes also work

WardenWolf
October 5, 2012, 05:11 PM
Nice choice for ammo storage. There's a company that offers a locking solution for old ammo boxes. You have to drill a hole, but they can be made to lock.

I normally use ammo boxes just so I can have a "grab and go" supply. I've got 1000 rounds of Wolf 7.62x39 split up over 2 .30 caliber ammo cans. Each holds exactly 500 rounds in 20-round boxes, with no room to spare.

Ryanxia
October 5, 2012, 05:16 PM
Way to necro a thread from May Horsemen61 :D

mdauben
October 5, 2012, 06:27 PM
I have to provide make, model, serial numbers for every gun.
I have to say, this sounds incredibly intrusive. I can understand requring things be locked up in the house to protect the children, but how does having all that information make the children any safer? :confused:

In any case, I applaud your desire to adopt, and admire how hard you are willing to work to meet the seemingly arbitrary requirements imposed on you to do that.

gunnutery
October 6, 2012, 01:42 AM
Good luck on the fostering and adoption. I wouldn't think that carrying on your person in the house would be an issue since you'd be in direct control of it. However, I don't know Texas law.

Deus Machina
October 6, 2012, 07:07 AM
Good way to go about it. I doubt I would have thought of it!

I also want to thank you for the adoption. Kids need all the help they can get, and I support anyone that is responsible enough to curb themselves on the matter and get one out of the mostly uncaring system.

homatok
October 6, 2012, 01:41 PM
Nice storage unit! My most sincere compliments on the desire to adopt. I was adopted in 1939 and I got a set of parents who were the absolute best in the world! Your willingness to subject yourselves to a significant infringement on your personel space/rights shows how committed you both are in your desire to adopt. I wish you the best of luck in the comming years with your new family.

friscolatchi
October 6, 2012, 10:08 PM
I just love all kinds of boxes, wooden, metal, locking, not lockable. That's a great idea. I have a 14 gun stack-on that I lie flat in my closet, bolted to the wall and floor as it takes up less space. We had a daycare here in NY at one time, this was before I began collecting, and they asked about firearms. It's really great that you and your wife carry. I wonder what they do with the registration type info once the children are officially adopted. Good luck.

caribou
October 7, 2012, 01:52 AM
In Alaska, I think each kid comes with a gun.... ~~LOL!!~~

OldMac
October 7, 2012, 06:17 AM
In Alaska, I think each kid comes with a gun.... ~~LOL!!~~
Every american s/b issued a rifle at birth.

Nice looking solution. I use a Stanley "fat boy" cabinet that locks but doesnt seal out moisture for short term storage and a horizontal job box for long term. I do like your door on the front for easy access since stuff will always get piled on top eventually.

Fred in Wisc
October 8, 2012, 06:27 PM
Here in Wisconsin, the adoption agency I worked with just treated guns as annother part of the home inspection. Just like having child locks on cupboards with cleaning supplies, electrical outlet covers, kitchen knives up high, etc.

Good friend of mine does foster care for the state and he's got guns locked up in RSC's, and a reloading room set up in the basement. No problems, just need reasonable precautions to keep them away from little hands.

Wouldn't worry too much about it if you are looking at adopting.

omcf
October 9, 2012, 10:17 AM
"Make sure your box has some venting in it so in a fire the pressure is not allowed to build up until it becomes a bomb. Your fire dept. will thank you."

I was thinking some type of material from the construction trade (insulation??) could be installed on the interior walls of the box to make it more fire-resistant. Glad you mentioned about the venting, it never occurred to me.

Owen Sparks
October 9, 2012, 12:18 PM
After the adoption goes through will your 2A rights be restored?

If you enjoyed reading about "My new ammo storage solution" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!