pistol scope

PDA

x_wrench
May 3, 2012, 07:10 PM
i want to put a scope on my S&W 629. but i am not sure if we are measuring correctly. when i hold the gun out like i am going to fire it, i get approximately 23" from my eye, to where the rear sight is. i know the scope will come rearward to some extent, i would think in the 2-3" range. i have not done a lot of looking yet, but most of the scopes i have seen list a much shorter eye relief than that. most are around 10-14". am i measuring wrong? is there a formula? or are these scopes made for very short armed people?

If you enjoyed reading about "pistol scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gamestalker
May 4, 2012, 01:29 AM
I've shot a lot of scoped pistols and all had ample eye relief. Even the lower end glass provides what anyone would need with arms fully extended in the shooting position.

GS

Kernel
May 4, 2012, 07:16 AM
You must be looking at intermediate eye relief scopes, commonly called "scout" scopes. They're for mounting on rifle and shotgun barrels forward of the action. A true pistol scopes (non low-end Chinese POS) will have a minimum of 18" of eye relief.

The Leopold 2x20 is a perfect match for the Model 629. Hand in glove. It has 18” of eye relief, a 1-inch tube, and they do make a silver version. Used Leopolds are a good buy because of their great warranty and build quality, and you can find this scope on eBay used in the $200 range.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-m8-2x20mm-eer-handgun-silver-rifle-scope.html

Or you could look at a red-dot sight. They have unlimited eye relief. Over the years I’ve tired a lot of different optics on my .44 Mag hunting revolvers and have settled on a red dot for deer inside of 150 yds. The Ultradot 30mm mates up nicely with the 629, and has a well earned reputation in the handgun shooting sports community. It can stand up to a lot of heavy recoil, just make sure you get some 30mm rings.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/914878/ultradot-red-dot-sight-30mm-tube-1x-4-moa-dot-with-weaver-style-rings-silver

Was there one scope in particular you were looking at?

x_wrench
May 4, 2012, 04:14 PM
i have just been looking at several scopes from midway and optics planet. also an older weaver 2x scope on ebay. i have heard really good things about leupold scopes, but $350.00 would be really tight. my wife is having some expensive medical problems right now. i would most likely need to wait till next year for one of those. the scope i was looking at on midway that i like the looks of, and has the features i think i want is http://www.midwayusa.com/product/113584/simmons-prohunter-pistol-scope-2-6x-32mm-truplex-reticle-silver but i am not sure about the eye relief thing. is 11-20" eye relief mean that the eye relief changes as the power (zoom) changes? or does it mean it will work anywhere in between those distances at any power? i did read at a review of a BSA scope that the eye relief changes as the power went up, and the scope was really only useful to the guy when at 2 power. it would also be nice if the manufacturers would rate these for how much recoil they would handle. replacing one once under warranty, while not ideal, is not terrible either. especialy when dealing with Midway. but if it has to be replaced every few months. then it is useless.

k4swb
May 4, 2012, 04:34 PM
Take this for what it cost, do not skimp on a scope, especially a handgun scope. They are difficult enough to get used to without buying inferior ones.

I use them all the time and most times i end up with a variable. You can turn it down for field work (more eye relief and FOV) but sooner or later you will want to know what the firearm will do at a greater distance from a rest.

Some of the most fun handgun shooting I've ever had was testing loads at 100-200 yards and you need something more than a 2X for this.

They cost but look at the TC scopes and if you have the cash the Burris 3X12 is my favorite.

Having said that, I have a BSA 2X7 on my Ruger MKII now testing different ammo and I'm thinking of putting it on my TC in 7X30 Waters to see if it can take the recoil.

The BSA is a good scope but it is not in the same class as the TC or Burris.

Loosedhorse
May 4, 2012, 05:19 PM
The Leopold 2x20Great scope. I got the 2.5-8 variable, but it is of course bigger, heavier and more expensive, and I never use the higher magnifications on anything larger than squirrel. If I was shooting out to 200, I'd opt for the 4x fixed.

Samari Jack
May 8, 2012, 10:31 PM
glad this thread got started. I just bought a S&W 686-7 shot .357 that is already drilled. I've been toyin with the idea of taking my EOTec off my 5.56 for some experimentation. This thread is just the kick-in-the-pants I needed to get'er done.

If you enjoyed reading about "pistol scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!