First AR buy

PDA

Miss Debbie
May 3, 2012, 08:15 PM
Hi everyone, l gave up on buying a Knights Armament due to the 2K price. The other 2 rifles I am thinking of buying are either a Colt 6920 or LMT standard rifle, or other option I read is to build it yourself buy a complete lower and a Bravo CO upper.

If you enjoyed reading about "First AR buy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Owen
May 3, 2012, 08:24 PM
All good choices.

Dr.Rob
May 3, 2012, 08:30 PM
Colt but I am biased. Depends of what you're going to use it for.

Miss Debbie
May 3, 2012, 08:38 PM
Rifle is going to be used for going to range and carbine class shooting from to 10-200 YDS

jim243
May 3, 2012, 08:43 PM
carbine class shooting from to 10-200 YDS

I would lean toward the LMT standard rifle just because of the 200 yard thing. Standard rifles (20 inchs) are not carbines (16 inchs).

Good shooting and stay safe.
Jim

taliv
May 3, 2012, 08:43 PM
Can't really go wrong with any of those. They're all high quality shoot well and will hold their value should you decide to part with it

I'd pick based on which features you want like type of stock barrel length etc and availability and price

Dr.Rob
May 3, 2012, 08:48 PM
Took me like 3000 rounds to get a jam out of my Colt shooting from 10-425 yards and likely it was my fault.

The standard 6920 comes with the carry handle and A3 sights. Learn to use these first then move onto optics. OR get one without the carry handle (like the Mag-pul dressed up rifles) that are 'optics ready' with folding sights. The Mag-pul vesion has a better stock and pistol grip and the fore end is smaller.

proven
May 3, 2012, 08:59 PM
i'll echo what dr rob had to say. i love my colt, however, it has changed from the standard 6920 configuration. i kept it that way for quite a while, until i decided what i really needed to change about it. my next will be an lmt complete lower with the a2 stock, and a rifle length upper of my choosing. can't go wrong with any of your options. good luck!

TonyAngel
May 3, 2012, 09:08 PM
It's already been said, of those that you mentioned, just choose one. If your choices are pretty close in price, I'd get the Colt, just because it's a Colt; although I've never found any fault with the others mentioned.

p2000sk
May 3, 2012, 09:42 PM
Satisfied customer of Stag Arms here.

Old krow
May 3, 2012, 09:46 PM
+1 for Colt. I really like mine.

Fremmer
May 3, 2012, 09:54 PM
The 20" rifle is my interest but I'm having a devil of a time finding a complete rifle. Maybe I shoud look at separate upper and lower, too.
i want the extra barrel for velocity and target shooting reasons, as well as a little less retort on the ears. At least it'll be a little farther away, lol.

Edited to add, would a shorter barrel help with the carbine class shooting? The more experienced can answer that.

marinetowgunner
May 3, 2012, 09:56 PM
I've got an LMT so I am a little bias. I've got a MWS, but the two guys that I shoot/hunt with both shoot the 556 and one sold a s&w while the other sold a stag to buy them. After shooting my 308 and their 223's, I'm thinking about selling my DDm4 to pick one up in 223.

Both the rifles you are looking at are great rifles like many others have posted. I like the LMT for the ability to change out the barrel with nothing but a torque wrench. It's super light and great to carry around when hog blasting.

Walkalong
May 3, 2012, 09:59 PM
I am very happy with my Bravo Co upper. Flawless so far. It is a big improvement on the one it replaced.

Duneblade
May 3, 2012, 11:07 PM
Just ordered my first one. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=462&CFID=220996041&CFTOKEN=42058619&jsessionid=f03048e2de117d241c72

RRA Elite Operator 2. Other than the name I think it's a great buy at 1k. Get a lot of stuff for the price and not much I will want to change on it. My advice to you would be look at what you need it for, then look at makers in your price range. People love Colt/Bush. . . people love Ford/Chev. At the end of the day if it does what you want it to do and reliable that is all that matters.

ChCx2744
May 4, 2012, 12:05 AM
I hear good things about Colt, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, and Noveske. If I decide to upgrade, I'm gonna sell my AR and get a Colt. BCM also makes some good pistol grips and charging handles. As for sights, I like Troy. Mags, PMAGs are the bomb. Ammo? Anything that isn't steel-cased or laquer coated.

gotigers
May 4, 2012, 07:51 AM
LMT, Colt, Bravo , Daniel Defense, and Noveske will all be great quality. You won't be disappointed with any of them. Out of those, i like Noveske.

Captains1911
May 4, 2012, 09:12 AM
delete

Captains1911
May 4, 2012, 09:13 AM
I would lean toward the LMT standard rifle just because of the 200 yard thing.
Jim
Why? You will notice no difference between a 16" and 20" at 200 yds, other than sight radius, assuming iron sights are being used..

Captains1911
May 4, 2012, 09:15 AM
The 20" rifle is my interest but I'm having a devil of a time finding a complete rifle. Maybe I shoud look at separate upper and lower, too.
i want the extra barrel for velocity and target shooting reasons, as well as a little less retort on the ears. At least it'll be a little farther away, lol.

Edited to add, would a shorter barrel help with the carbine class shooting? The more experienced can answer that.
In stock
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm

Just to help you make the right choice, here's mine:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/paper%20punchers/BCM20.jpg

gotigers
May 4, 2012, 01:45 PM
Using the same ammo, would you not have a slightly lower POI at 200 yards with the 16" vs the 20" if both are sighted in at 50 yards due to velocity?

Nice stick. I prefer shooting my 20" HBAR with carry handle and A2 FSB. I shoot it in SRS matches.

Cosmoline
May 4, 2012, 01:50 PM
My Colt LEC has been a near flawless workhorse. It completely debunked all the crud I'd heard about AR's being jam-o-matics. The sucker just keeps on rolling with some pretty minimal cleaning between sessions.

Ditto on learning with irons first. I'm using the Revised Improved Battlesight Zero which cleverly recalibrates the sights to start at 100 meters where I do most of my stance shooting.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/328143_RIBZ_____Revised_Improved_Battlesight_Zero__now_with_down_loadable_50_yard_zeroing_target_.html

gotigers
May 4, 2012, 02:01 PM
Cosmoline is spot on regarding the RIBZ. Irons sighted using that system are easy to shoot. My HBAR with A2 sights is set that way. Easy shooting out to about 350.

MachIVshooter
May 4, 2012, 02:13 PM
For complete rifles, my preference is Armalite, with Colt running a close second. The choice was easy for me, though, since Colt doesn't offer a middy and I also wanted an A2 upper.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/101_1324.jpg

Captains1911
May 4, 2012, 02:15 PM
I have 16" carbines zeroed at 50 as is my 20" and notice no difference in POI at 200 using the same ammo. The BCM upper has a govt profile barrel, not an HBAR.

Usertag
May 4, 2012, 02:22 PM
Colt, Armalite, or a Bushmaster. They are quite expensive though ($900-$1400). You can buy a DPMS Panther Arms AR-15 for about $800, there a great brand.

BVaunsson
May 4, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone, l gave up on buying a Knights Armament due to the 2K price. The other 2 rifles I am thinking of buying are either a Colt 6920 or LMT standard rifle, or other option I read is to build it yourself buy a complete lower and a Bravo CO upper.

I have a top-o-the-line Bushmaster M4, but saw a Colt LE6920 in a display case and asked to see it. The clerk said it was the only NIB he had left and it was reserved for another buyer. He said it would be weeks until he got more, if he ever did. They're selling as fast as they get them in. Someone knows something about how really good they are, and for a hot selling AR platform, it was priced right at $1097.00. I understand they're selling for as much as $1295-$1500 in some places. Colt got an order from the US Army for 19,000, and that may be another reason they're in short supply. If you have the chance, get yours soon. The guy who supposedly had a deposit down on this one got in trouble with the wifey-pooh and had to back out, so, I bought it.

As good as the Bushmaster is, and there are good black rifles out there, I simply love this Colt. It's accurate, easy to handle, smooth shooting and rugged as heck. Maybe this is my once in a lifetime lucky chance to get something without the hoop-la and searching for months for what I want. I already had an offer to sell it for $200 morre than I paid. No chance of that happening, Sport. This is a keeper.

arthury
May 4, 2012, 04:08 PM
Actually, I am in the market for my 2nd AR and here's what I have found ...

The current one I have is a Colt LE6920 and I have no issues with it. I grew up with Colt AR and they are reliable machines as long as you wet it with some oil in the field when firing it with intensity. It can go on shooting almost forever without cleaning (although not recommended by Colt) as long as oil wetting is done in between.

For about $900-1500, there are better brands you can pick from besides the ones talked about above; such as:

Rock River Arms
Fulton Armory
S&W

If I were planning to spend above $1600, I will certainly get one from LWRC because of their barrel, coating technologies and their tight tolerances during manufacturing.

Captains1911
May 4, 2012, 04:42 PM
Why are we comparing Bushmasters, Armalites, RRA, and Fultons to Colt, BCM, and LMT?

Southernsorrow
May 4, 2012, 05:33 PM
go with the LMT they make reallly nice rifles I own 1 in 12inch. or a Sig 516 with piston upper can be had for like $1000

Southernsorrow
May 4, 2012, 05:39 PM
S&W M&P are pretty nice aswell

proven
May 4, 2012, 06:34 PM
the OP asked about colt, lmt, and bcm. some of you guys are recommending rr, bushy, s&w, and even dpms? could you explain that?

that's like a person walking into a mercedes dealer and the salesman saying..."i think what you really want is the used kia we have over here..."

MachIVshooter
May 4, 2012, 06:39 PM
Why are we comparing Bushmasters, Armalites, RRA, and Fultons to Colt, BCM, and LMT?

Because not all of us believe that paying more money makes your rifle better. I happen to agree with you on Bushmaster, and I don't care for DPMS either. But RRA makes a good product, and Armalite's rifles are top shelf production guns.

Southernsorrow
May 4, 2012, 06:42 PM
um DPMS makes nice lowers though

Southernsorrow
May 4, 2012, 06:43 PM
nomatter what brand you buy you will get the black rifle sickness and add atleast $750 in mods/accessories to it. first you'll want a scope or red dot, than a foregrip, rail covers, new stock or grip and maybe a flashlight etc.etc.

proven
May 4, 2012, 06:43 PM
um DPMS makes nice lowers though

sure if they're in spec., which they have been found not to be at times.

Fremmer
May 4, 2012, 07:36 PM
Nice rifle, captain. Thanks for the link!

If you enjoyed reading about "First AR buy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!