Unburned powder?

PDA

coyotewillie
May 3, 2012, 10:12 PM
A friend and I were out this evening at the range shooting our .45's. I've got a compact that he wanted to try out. I had some factory loads and he brought some reloads. I had no problem until I shot some of his reloads. We noticed that his rounds were REALLY dirty. Dirty to the point of having powder residue flying around and landing on our arms. A couple of mags of his reloads, and I was having trouble with jamming. My gun really needs to be stripped and cleaned now! My empty casings were scoured clean inside while his looked to have a residue inside. I looked right at his load data tag but darned if I can remember any specifics. So, what might cause this that we can look into? Everything shot fine, just real dirty. Thanks. Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "Unburned powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cherokee
May 3, 2012, 10:56 PM
The powder used and the charge can make a big difference. Cast bullets will also generate residue because of the lube smoking. Need to know the details of the load to give an assessment.

ArchAngelCD
May 3, 2012, 11:44 PM
I agree, we need to know what powder and the charge weight before we can guess as to why it's so dirty. Powders like unique, especially with lower pressures can be very dirty while some other powders are cleaner. As a general rule lower pressures will produce dirtier loads. (but not always)

Unique and 700X are dirtier than W231 and Clays. It's just the way they are made...

1SOW
May 4, 2012, 12:15 AM
ArchAngelCD +1
Slower burning powders loaded too light are usually the cause. Some tend to be worse than others. Bluedot comes to mind for muzzle blast and particles flying around.

If you enjoyed reading about "Unburned powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!