adventures in building a gun room, or, the heck with Wednesdays!

PDA

TexasVet
January 30, 2003, 01:04 PM
I'm writing January off as a total loss!
Last Wed my wife had what we thought was a stroke. After 3 days in hospital (local and ambulance transfer 120 miles to Houston) it was determined to be a TIA. NO residual after affects! WHEW. Out about $30 grand in bills, maybe 23K will be picked up by insurance. VERY glad she's fine.

So yesterday, (Wednesday again!), I go out to work on my new gunroom addition. Up to now I've been doing concrete work for the foundation. Yesterday I start playing with wood beams and joists, so...POWER TOOLS!

Today I'm spending MUCH too long typing this out with just my right hand. Left is a mass of gauze, stitches and throbbing fingers. Pain in fingers was bad, chest pain from following angina was scarier, nurse who couldn't find a vein 'til fifth try hurt almost as bad! New bill for 2 grand(!) is gonna hurt more!
So I'm skipping Wednesdays from now on!

All fingers are still there, but the end joints of a couple are smashed, torn, stitched and SORE!

So much for my two gun a month plan!

:fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "adventures in building a gun room, or, the heck with Wednesdays!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
coonan357
January 30, 2003, 01:30 PM
I'll second the ban on wendsdays , Got fired from my job yesterday , kind of a good /bad feeling , but now I have no insurance .and still have bills to pay .

PATH
January 30, 2003, 01:44 PM
It does get better. It really does. I know you may not believe that but a positive attitude goes a long way. I'll keep you both in my prayers. So TexasVet and coonan357 hang in there. I know everyone here at THR is rooting for you both!

Wednesday can be a very good day!

coonan357
January 30, 2003, 01:55 PM
well hopefully Texvet will get better real soon , maybe I should go down there and finish his" Burt" room for him since I got nothing better to do .. :D hey is it warmer than 30 degrees down yonder??

4v50 Gary
January 30, 2003, 02:30 PM
While I wish you well and that you finish your gun room before the year is out, there's always the Russian or Chinese "Five Year Plan" - but those never seem to work either.

Frohickey
January 30, 2003, 03:06 PM
Ooooooh.... POWER TOOLS!!!!! (Tim the Toolman Taylor) "Ho ho ho ho ho"

I wonder what the Amish do to make their gun-rooms. :D

4v50 Gary
January 30, 2003, 08:41 PM
I think the Amish are into black powder. Put the stock in with the firewood and stack the barrel in the closet with the brooms. Hidden in plain sight.

HABU
January 30, 2003, 09:15 PM
All fingers are still there, but the end joints of a couple are smashed, torn, stitched and SORE!
Am I the only one that wants to know the details!? Texasvet, what did you do to you fingers, drop a beam or joist on them?:what: It doesn't sound like you took the saw to them since they are still there.

Heal quickly!

TexasVet
January 30, 2003, 11:49 PM
Almost. I was removing a 1X12 trim board where the new room is going to attach to the house. A ten year old, very dry and brittle Southern Yellow Pine board. Which kept splitting and shattering instead of flexing and starting the old nails out a little. Got down to the last two feet and for once it flexed.
So I put my left hand behind it and yanked with my right to pull it out a little farther so I could get a hammer claw under the nails. As I reached back for the hammer, the bloody thing shatters, and the piece on top slams back flush with the first two fingers of my left hand smashed between it and a joist.
Yelled a LOT, didn't have any place left to grab with my right hand, left hand is TRAPPED (and getting very flat in the finger region). Couldn't reach hammer with other hand. Yelled some more. Finally got hammer with foot and dragged it into reach. When the blood rushed back into those fingers, I yelled a LOT MORE!
And dripped a lot of it all over the place. Called the wife, went into shock, had bad chest pains (angina) nice neighbor lady drives both me and near hysterical wife to hospital. Several nitro pumps later and a few stitches I feel fine. Till about 4 hours later when the novacaine wears off in the hand.
But today, it actually doesn't hurt much. Next I'll probably find that it's because I squished most of the nerves or something.

PATH
January 31, 2003, 12:02 AM
Geez you sure were lucky. Take some time off amd let it go for a time. I hope the hand feels better soon!

coonan357
January 31, 2003, 01:37 AM
Tex Vet I can feel your pain Yeoooouuuchhh!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: That hurt reading about it ..I think I'll stick to my peelin up the plywood floor in the bathroom for now .

Kahr carrier
January 31, 2003, 09:28 AM
Yikes :what: Hope you are feeling better.:D

bogie
January 31, 2003, 10:52 AM
Dude, it's the year 2003. We have good painkillers. I don't wanna feel your pain, and you shouldn't either...

I heartily recommend Percodan, Darvon, Demerol, whatever... Unless your doctor is worried about getting busted...

4v50 Gary
January 31, 2003, 10:56 AM
BTW Texas Vet, while you're recuperating, consider this mental exercise that will forever immortalize you to us. Write the new edition of Small Arms of the World. It's time.

Ed Brunner
February 2, 2003, 07:29 AM
"War is hell and some days peace ain't much better." Anon.

If you enjoyed reading about "adventures in building a gun room, or, the heck with Wednesdays!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!