S&W 5906 vs CZ 75

PDA

robinkevin
May 4, 2012, 11:42 AM
So I am looking for a metal pistol in 9mm for range and maybe carry from time to time (depending on dress) and more so home defense duty. I have been looking at 3rd Gen Smiths for sometime and love the looks of them and keep seeing a lot of 5906s for sale. They are highly regarded pistol and american made.

However I also still have a soft spot for the CZ 75. These are not too hard to find either and seem to be great little shooters. They hold more rounds and more widely used worldwide.

But which would y'all pick between the two? Is there another DA/SA metal handgun that I am over looking in the same ballpark? Sorry Hi Power and 1911 fans, I just really am not too comfortable with a single action that would need to be carried cocked and locked.

Well there ya have it, give me your two cents worth if you will.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 5906 vs CZ 75" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JTQ
May 4, 2012, 11:49 AM
Beretta 92/M9.

I know the guys on the forum tell me I'm nuts about the cost of CZ75's, but in my neck of the woods, new CZ75's and Beretta 92FS/M9's sell for the same price.

There should be lots and lots of used Beretta's on the market.

robinkevin
May 4, 2012, 12:00 PM
Beretta 92 in my area sell for quite a bit more than the CZ75 which I have seen in the $400 ballpark, where as Beretta is usually a $700 or so usually. I have looked at the Taurus copy of the 92 however which I like the frame safety better (one of my dislikes on the 5906). However unless I find a used one (haven't seen any) they are even a little steep for me at this time.

daybreak
May 4, 2012, 12:03 PM
CZ75 for sure. They are just so accurate and sweet shooting. I bought an SP01 this week!

They seem to have soared in popularity lately as well.

MachIVshooter
May 4, 2012, 12:06 PM
The CZ-75 is a fantastic handgun, one of my favorites. Great ergonomics, good looks, never saw one that wasn't a shooter.

That said, the 5906 is about perfection in a combat 9mm, IMO. It has everything the CZ does, but it's tougher. If I could only have one 9mm, it'd be the 5906. Only down side to the 5906 is that there aren't a lot of accessories for it these days.

CZ 75. ...........They hold more rounds and more widely used worldwide.

They both hold 15+1 in stock form. I have flush fitting 17 rounders (Mec Gar) and slightly extended 20 rounders for my 5906, which also fit my Camp 9.

daybreak
May 4, 2012, 12:10 PM
A pic of mine awaiting DROS. Darn CA's one in 30 law.

http://img.tapatalk.com/ad0cee69-f145-6cab.jpg

JTQ
May 4, 2012, 12:10 PM
In my area the CZ75B and Beretta 92FS are $600 pistols. Glocks & their polymer friends are less, while the other metal 9MM's like the Sig and Hi-Power are more. Certainly, $400 for a new CZ75B is an outstanding deal, and I would buy one.

I have a 3rd Gen S&W, in .45 though, the 4506. It is a very well made gun, but it doesn't fit my hand like my 1911, and is a little top heavy.

CZ's do feel good when initially gripped. However, reaching the controls are difficult for some, and I'm one of them. Trigger reach in double action is long, and the little "half a jelly bean" thumb safety is also a long reach for me. As chuncky as the Beretta grip feels, I think it is easier to live with those controls, and those of the S&W pistols, even though many complain about the safety/decocker on these pistols.

daybreak
May 4, 2012, 12:12 PM
The CZ 75 SP01 comes with 18 round mags in free states (I live in CA)

robinkevin
May 4, 2012, 12:15 PM
Certainly, $400 for a new CZ75B is an outstanding deal

Sorry I am talking used market... tend to find better deals when buying used and especially with money being tight.

JTQ
May 4, 2012, 12:17 PM
So you are finding used Beretta's for $700?

As I mentioned in the earlier post, there are lots of used Beretta's available. I would think there are many more Beretta's available than used CZ's giving you many more options. Used Beretta's around me are in the same ball park as the price you listed for your used CZ. I'm not a big Beretta expert, so I couldn't tell you if they hold up well, or how easy they are to repair, but lots of police carried Beretta's and they always show up at the local gun shops in reasonable condition. Some holster wear, but with smooth actions.

Likewise, there should be bunches of 3rd Gen S&W's around since lots and lots of police carried them.

robinkevin
May 4, 2012, 12:19 PM
So you are finding used Beretta's for $700?
Well tell the truth I haven't ran across any used Berettas, You got me there not really comparing apples to apples with my prices...

SwampWolf
May 4, 2012, 02:48 PM
I have them both (CZ 85B and Models 6906 and 4006), along with a Beretta Model 92FS, a couple of SIGs and an HK USP 40. I like them all but if I could only keep one, it would be a Smith 3rd generation variant of one type or the other. I think they're the most under-rated and under-appreciated semi-autos extant. Do a search on these pistols and the one descriptive word that will come up most often is RELIABLE. Most people having any experience with them swear by them. Check it out.

Pilot
May 4, 2012, 03:49 PM
CZ-75 variant.

kingkeoni
May 4, 2012, 04:05 PM
What about a Sig P226?

They're great guns with a well deserved reputation for reliability & accuracy.

Hemoglobin
May 4, 2012, 04:16 PM
Close to 2 years ago I bought one of the 5906's from Bud's for a pretty decent price. It was a little roughed up so I spent a little change on a new recoil spring and grips. I wound up trading it and can't really tell you what it was about it that made me think it wasn't worth hanging on to. It wasn't the most accurate gun ever but it was fine for the money paid and it's purpose, and the trigger was "thousand rounds" smooth... I just don't know. Didn't move me.

If I had to choose I would take the CZ, but there's nothing wrong with the 5906 imo. Just nothing overly right about it. Every one will be different.

ApacheCoTodd
May 4, 2012, 04:52 PM
Since you asked about the 2 pistols in particular and not something I think you should have instead, I note that your choice of Smith is quite specific in the 5906 but I'm wondering as far as the CZ, are you specifically asking about a CZ-75 or a CZ-75 variants?

4v50 Gary
May 4, 2012, 06:26 PM
CZ with Kadet Conversion kit. They feel great in the hand. Women love them. Great trigger.

meanmrmustard
May 4, 2012, 07:23 PM
Oof. Tough question, but having had both...CZ.

sigarms228
May 4, 2012, 07:45 PM
For me it would easily be the SW 5906. My LGS has some NIB old stock. I dry fired a couple and they were SWEET!!

If I did not already have a couple P226s I might get on of those SW 5906 - still might. :D

Walt Sherrill
May 4, 2012, 08:30 PM
They're both good guns.

And if either has had trigger work, that one could be more than just a "good" gun. I've had both, and like both.

Pick whichever feels best in your hand (or has the best trigger). If you like decockers, the 5906 might appeal a bit more than the 75B; if you like the option of cocked & locked, the 75B might be the better choice.

wrs840
May 4, 2012, 08:42 PM
I have three 5904s (Black alloy-frame variant of the 5906). Yeah, I like them. As a daily carry/utility, I like decocker/safety protocol, and so does my wife. Never a malfunction, and accurate ...enough. Fairly inexpensive on the local used-market too.

I have a early/mid-90s mfg Beretta 92FS that I bought "as-new" with box and papers for $400 a year or two ago and I like it a lot too., but I consider it a tad large for CC, so it doesn't get fired as much.

I don't know anything about CZs except that people really seem to like them. Industry-standard popularity happens for a reason.

robinkevin
May 4, 2012, 10:19 PM
Since you asked about the 2 pistols in particular and not something I think you should have instead, I note that your choice of Smith is quite specific in the 5906 but I'm wondering as far as the CZ, are you specifically asking about a CZ-75 or a CZ-75 variants?

Should of specified more I guess... Most any 3rd Gen Smiths are on my list but leaning towards the 5906 as I see them for better prices usually and also the heavier weight of them would be nice at the range I believe, however not ruling out the 6906 either but I do read they can't shoot +p... not sure how much of a concern that is. On the CZ 75 yes the other variants are also in my mind set so long as in 9mm. I like the rami a lot and saw one a year ago that I wish I would of gotten, haven't seen any ramis in my price range since though I haven't look all the hard either... Hopefully that clears it up a bit.

Walt Sherrill
May 4, 2012, 11:05 PM
The best 5906 I ever handled was one that had been worked on by the S&W Performance Center. I'd really like to find one of those.

MachIVshooter
May 5, 2012, 12:04 AM
5906 .......the heavier weight of them would be nice at the range I believe

They're actually about an ounce lighter (38.3) than a CZ75 (39.5); The 4.7" CZ has a little more slide and barrel than the 4" 5906, which account for the greater heft, despite it's lighter frame.

Everyone thinks the S&W 3rd gens are super heavy for some reason. Reality is that they're all within a couple ounces of similar, all-steel models in a given chambering.

Bushpilot
May 5, 2012, 01:02 AM
If you're going to be target shooting much with it I'd opt for the CZ without a doubt. Very hard to find a better shooter right out of the box than a CZ75. Most other autos don't even come close.

Janos Dracwlya
May 5, 2012, 01:54 AM
I have both and they are both fine guns, though the Cz-75 is more accurate for me.

I've also owned a Sig P-226, and it was more accurate *for me* than either, but they are both more than plenty accurate.

My recommendation would be to try them out and see which works better for you because they are both solid guns. Of course, given that you can find 5906's for under $400 without too much trouble, get the Cz and then get the 5906.

arcticap
May 6, 2012, 04:14 AM
I like the feel of the Smith 5906, and some its qualities are intangible.

jmr40
May 6, 2012, 08:42 AM
For punching holes in paper at the range, buy the CZ. If your buying it or SD purposes, buy the Smith.

Thompsoncustom
May 6, 2012, 01:35 PM
I don't know both solid built guns would be neat if someone did a torture test comparing the two. The only reason I would go with the CZ is I own and carry one but the S&W 5906 looks like a fine weapon, probably can't go wrong either way.

leadcounsel
May 6, 2012, 03:47 PM
Long time CZ75 fan.

Recently have taken a liking to the SW 5906. A great and well regarded handgun at very low prices right now.

Despite that, the CZ75 platform is better.

JTQ
May 6, 2012, 03:53 PM
One advantage to the CZ is it is still in production.

jdh
May 6, 2012, 05:03 PM
CZ 75 ( the pre B original version not the current liability lawyer designed abortion with rails, alloy or plastic frame, or rubber grips and horrid trigger)

If I could not find one then the 5906 over any of the new CZ stuff.

Marlin 45 carbine
May 6, 2012, 05:14 PM
no easy choice there - I've never owned a 75, have a couple 83s, good pistols. at one time I was sort of a collector of S&W 5900 series and did some tuneing on those owned by friends and relatives, built solid as a bank vault. sold all I had (still regret since handgun prices have skyrocketed) but kept my 5903.
a + for the S&W is there are carbines that use the same magazine. a +P 9mm really shines out of a carbine barrel. accurate too.

robinkevin
May 7, 2012, 11:39 AM
Ok I have decided from this thread and also researching a little more that I really want to go for the Smith and Wesson 5906 OR 6906...

But now I am stuck with deciding which one of the two Smiths...

jdh
May 7, 2012, 11:55 AM
Unless you weigh 98 pounds soaking wet and dress is a t-shirt and shorts the 5906 is concealable. The 6906 not uncomfortable for an extended day at the range. That is not an easy choice. The 5906 can be had just a tad cheaper and mags are easier to find for it. The 6906 is a lot of fun to shoot, a bit smaller/lighter, and just as accurate as its big brother.

robinkevin
May 7, 2012, 01:07 PM
Well concealing other then the weight of it I am not too concern about at 6'3" 200lbs, however there is a few things that draw me more towards the 5906 rather then the lighter 6906.
- I hear aluminum frames don't last as long? I don't know if this is just myth or what but being that I plan on passing my firearms down to my son one day I want something that will last and be pass down.
- I like being able to cock the hammer for a single action shot on the first shot. Of course I can always switch out hammers.
- Weight, the lighter weight would be REAL nice for carry but for fun at the range I was thinking the heavier 5906 would allow for fast double taps.

tuj
May 7, 2012, 05:52 PM
I have the 5906; it is my SD/HD choice. I got one of the TSW models which have slightly thicker frame rails and also has a front rail to mount a laser or light on. I really like the trigger on the 5906; the DA is consistent and doesn't stack or bind at around 11#. The SA pull is light and crisp at around 3.5#. Its an accurate gun, and the full metal frame soaks up recoil well. My 5'2" wife shoots it well.

I don't have any experience with the CZ, but conventional wisdom says they are good pistols. Still the 3rd gen S&W's are great guns that you find at bargain prices right now.

Marlin 45 carbine
May 8, 2012, 01:35 AM
they're near nigh perfect 'barricade' pistol. that is returning fire from cover.
I once ran 6 17rd mecgar mags through my 06 with 124fmj loads. +P. not one bobble.

Pilot
May 8, 2012, 08:25 AM
Ii've never been a fan of S&W autos, as I had a 914 which I really disliked. However, if I found a 5906 had a decent proce, I might give one a try.

Walt Sherrill
May 8, 2012, 09:32 AM
They're both good guns. The S&W fans will say the 5906 is better, while the CZ fans will say the 75B is better. They're both right. In the final analysis, the pros and cons are pretty subjective, and will vary from shooter to shooter. You're getting opinions, here, and not scientific test results.

If you want a decocker gun, and must choose only between the 75B and 5906, it's an easy choice -- 5906. If you aren't tied to a decocker gun, then the 75B MIGHT be almost as easy a choice, as it offers the cocked-and-locked option.

(If you really want a decocker gun, the CZ P-01 and PCR, both decocker models, are better guns to compare to the 5906.)

Both the CZ-75B and S&W 5906 have strong personalities and great features. You should do yourself a favor and try to borrow or rent both before you decide, or simply decide to get both, getting whichever one is less expensive to start with. That would NOT be a bad path to follow.

Many, many 5906 trade-ins are available at very good prices. Used CZs can be found, but they're not as much of a bargain, price-wise, as the 5906. Getting used versions of either would not be a bad thing.

Godsgunman
May 8, 2012, 12:54 PM
Heres my .02 worth,
I was just in the market for a new carry 9mm myself and I decided on the 6904. The word that I kept reading as I did my research was RELIABLE. To me thats the most important word for a firearm. Accuracy second because that comes as you shoot and get to know your gun. Like you I prefer a hammer I can pull back if need be but I do like knowing that I have a long deliberate DA pull for the first shot in a defensive weapon, just another "safety" measure so the trigger is never accidently pulled. Plus the bobbed trigger reduces snag. Also an $85 price difference wasn't worth it to me, but thats just me. I'll save the difference and buy more of the stuff that goes bang! :)

VTHokiesDuckhunter
May 8, 2012, 01:13 PM
I've had several 5906's and currently shoot one I found mint/LNIB for $375. I like both the CZ's and 3rd generation S&W's a lot, but lean heavily toward the S&W's.

My every day carry is a 3rd gen S&W- a 4014. (.40 S&W, compact single stack, blackened alloy frame, Blackened steel slide).

Besides the 5906, other great ones are:

(last number of "3" means alloy, a "6" means stainless. 4 means blackened)
(all below are DA/SA guns. DAO guns have different designations, like 5946)

9mm:
5903 (full size 9mm, alloy frame, stainless slide)

6906 (compact double stack 9mm -stainless)

3913 (compact single stack 9mm, alloy frame)

.40 S&W
4006 (full size double stack all stainless)
4003 (same in alloy frame)
4013 (single stack and double stack compact versions -.40 S&W)
4014 (blackened single stack compact)

4566, etc

VTHokiesDuckhunter
May 8, 2012, 01:35 PM
For me it would easily be the SW 5906. My LGS has some NIB old stock. I dry fired a couple and they were SWEET!!

If I did not already have a couple P226s I might get on of those SW 5906 - still might. :D
SIGARMS:

can you tell me what is the name of the LGS that has the NIB 3rd gen's and what town they are in? I'm a big fan of the 3rd gens!

Thanks

sigarms228
May 8, 2012, 03:30 PM
SIGARMS:

can you tell me what is the name of the LGS that has the NIB 3rd gen's and what town they are in? I'm a big fan of the 3rd gens!

Thanks

GAT Guns in Dundee Illinois. They are in their used gun case but shown as never fired with case. My understanding is that they can't sell them as a new pistol even though they never were fired. Apparently they bought the entire inventory of some elderly gentleman who used to own a gun store a while back. I bought a NIB 1994 vintage SIG P229 .357 SIG with triple serial numbers from that collection but I missed out on the factory nickel P228s for under $800! They had quite a few of those assorted 3RD Gen S&Ws last time I was there a few weeks ago in 9MM, .40, and .45. They WILL ship. I believe the old stock NIB 5906s were tagged $599.

Good luck!!

http://www.gatguns.com/

MachIVshooter
May 8, 2012, 08:29 PM
(last number of "3" means alloy, a "6" means stainless. 4 means blackened)
(all below are DA/SA guns. DAO guns have different designations, like 5946)

9mm:
5903 (full size 9mm, alloy frame, stainless slide)

6906 (compact double stack 9mm -stainless)

3913 (compact single stack 9mm, alloy frame)

.40 S&W
4006 (full size double stack all stainless)
4003 (same in alloy frame)
4013 (single stack and double stack compact versions -.40 S&W)
4014 (blackened single stack compact)

4566, etc

I'm sure you're aware, but there are a great many more than that. THe 10xx series, as well as the 3-digit economy versions:

Their numbering system is actually very logical. If you know their system, you can identify the features by the number combination. Borrowed this from KurtC at S&W forums:

10xx 10mm
22xx .22 rimfire
39xx 9mm single stack
40xx .40 caliber
45xx .45 caliber
59xx 9mm double stack full size
69xx 9mm double stack compact

xx0x TDA full size
xx1x TDA compact
xx2x Frame decocker full size
xx3x Frame decocker compact
xx4x DAO full size
xx5x DAO compact
xx6x TDA mid size
xx7x Frame decocker mid size
xx8x DAO mid size
xx9x Non standard combination

xxx3 Alloy frame silver
xxx4 Alloy frame black
xxx5 Steel frame blue
xxx6 Stainless steel frame
xxx7 Non standard combination

millertyme
May 9, 2012, 12:54 AM
Having shot both and previously owning one, CZ-75B. I'm not a big fan of slide-mounted decockers, or decockers in general.

dondavis3
May 9, 2012, 12:07 PM
I own both and you can't go wrong with either gun.

My S&W 5906 - bought it used - police trade in.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/SW59069mm.jpg

My CZ 75 Compact

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/CZ75Compact.jpg

My CZ 85 Combat - great gun too

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/CZ85Combat.jpg

So many great guns - so little money

:cool:

robinkevin
May 9, 2012, 12:39 PM
So many great guns - so little money

Can say that again...

I have decided to go with the S&W 5906, I was thinking about the 6906 but am a little worry about the alloy frame where as the SS frame I feel I will have to worry less about. Sure it may be a little heavier but no worst then steel 1911s and a ton of people carry those. On other comments about the decocker, I like that feature as it being DA/SA I will usually carry the safety off and rely on the safety of the long and heavy DA pull, this will keep me from forgetting to thumb off the safety if SHTF.

SwampWolf
May 16, 2012, 10:07 PM
I like that feature as it being DA/SA I will usually carry the safety off and rely on the safety of the long and heavy DA pull,

This is the configuration my agency required us to carry in. Just like carrying a da revolver.

rellascout
May 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
One word needs to be said when it comes to CZs.... CAMMING. Every single CZ 75B variant trigger will have it. Some have more than others but it is a product of the design. That is why many CZ shooters pay guys like Angus to fix their triggers before they ever get them into their own hands.

IMHO if you are getting a CZ you need to test the one which you are buying. You have to be able to at least dry fire it if you plan on shooting it in the DA mode often.

I am not a big fan of the S&W semi autos but they are rock solid and have a great trigger reset.

In the end if you like the gun and it fits you you can't go wrong with either one.

Walt Sherrill
May 17, 2012, 10:42 AM
One word needs to be said when it comes to CZs.... CAMMING. Every single CZ 75B variant trigger will have it. Some have more than others but it is a product of the design. That is why many CZ shooters pay guys like Angus to fix their triggers before they ever get them into their own hands.

It wasn't particularly noticeable with my first CZ-75B, one of the Turkish contract overruns, back in the late 90's. But it seemed to get worse, over time, perhaps due to corporate concerns about liability.

It is clearly a "designed-in" feature, as it has become MORE NOTICEABLE in recent years. It wasn't really there with the earliest 75Bs, and you can find used CZ-75Bs where it's not really noticeable. It is a REALITY, nowadays, however.

That's why I said if I was buying a new CZ, it would probably come from the CZ Custom Shop. They know how to deal with it.

Gabes220
May 17, 2012, 11:26 AM
The smith 5906 has an amazing single action pull and crisp and short trigger reset. From my experience the cz had a longer pull...

My smith regularly puts 1.5 2 inch groups on paper at defensive distances without a hiccup so far. They're really affordable too...

Its up to your preference though

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 5906 vs CZ 75" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!