Amazing birthday present! M39

PDA

Cal-gun Fan
May 4, 2012, 12:56 PM
Got the best present for my 16th birthday! Its an unissued, antique Finnish M39 mosin Nagant. The receiver is an Izhvesk from 1896, the barrel is marked AV-1 and was made in 1968, and it is absolutely beautiful. I've got a pig hunting trip coming up in a few weeks and am hoping to get a Jmeck scope mount and a bent bolt handle (wouldn't dream of having the one that came with it bent) for the trip. If anybody knows somebody who's willing to sell a Jmeck low profile mount, let me know! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Amazing birthday present! M39" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyeo098
May 4, 2012, 01:14 PM
Old receiver and new barrel.
But man, is she pretty.

Cosmoline
May 4, 2012, 01:37 PM
Excellent! One of my favorite shooters is a 1970 M39 with an antique receiver.

But before you scope it--try the irons. They're more than up to hog hunting. A member here, Caribou, uses M39's to bag all kinds of things from caribou to brown bear on a regular basis. Unless you're talking about night hunting I suppose.

WardenWolf
May 4, 2012, 01:40 PM
Indeed, nice present! Great taste in firearms, young man.

Cal-gun Fan
May 4, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'd love to try the irons for hog hunting, but this will be my first time hunting. Not sure of the distances we'll be shooting at either, so a scope wouldn't hurt. I already have an old steel-tube Redfield 4X sitting in the garage that would look great on the rifle, plus it has nice clear glass.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
May 4, 2012, 03:49 PM
That rifle is stellar! And a little advice, from someone who's not much older (23 in October): Go with the iron sights. I hunt with my mil-surps, even though I have a deer rifle in .243. Iron-sights are much easier to put your target in. I would recommend your first trip out that you go with irons.

Also, wouldn't some wood need to be removed for the stock so the jmeck can fit? Never had one, so I have no clue.

TurtlePhish
May 4, 2012, 04:18 PM
That's a beautiful rifle. I really wish I had one of those... gotta get one sometime to compliment my 91/30 PU and M44.

Iron sights all the way, man! Pretend you're a Finnish sniper and those hogs are invading Soviets! ;)

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
May 4, 2012, 05:23 PM
What Turtle said! :)

BigBoreFan
May 4, 2012, 05:34 PM
Instead of a bunch of modifications consider the scout scope option. I have a about a dozen Finn MN and there is a 1942 that will get one of these by fall. I have a 91/59 that I've already done this and its a great snap shooting rig. I've never hunted pigs, but imagine that it could be very useful hunting pigs in brush.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/36954/Scout-Mount-Ordering-Information-and-Current-Availibility#.T6Q9SdWLMc8

Cal-gun Fan
May 5, 2012, 11:31 AM
I don't think I'd go with a scout optic. I could try hunting with irons though. I'll have to take it up and shoot it at the range this sunday maybe. What commercial 54r ammunition do you guys prefer? All I have right now is about 80 rounds of MFS 147gr FMJ. Its the Zinc coated stuff, which I dislike because the Zinc oxidizes if it isn't stored well.

Robert
May 5, 2012, 11:36 AM
If I were to buy a Mosin it would be a M39. Wish I could get cool rifles for my birthday too. I hate being a grown up... now I have to BUY my own rifles. ;)

Very cool. For typical hog hunting ranges irons should work fine.

dprice3844444
May 5, 2012, 11:36 AM
prvi or federal.try to make sure the after market stuff you buy is non corrosive

google moisen nagant ammo

dprice3844444
May 5, 2012, 11:43 AM
google slugging a rifle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErFaJlUVs1Y
http://www.mosinnagant.net/boltman/boltman.html
http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=moisen+nagant+bolts&s_it=keyword_rollover

snakeman
May 5, 2012, 11:47 AM
+1 What Robert said.

Bushpilot
May 5, 2012, 02:07 PM
Congrats on the rifle! Guns make the best presents!

Cosmoline
May 5, 2012, 02:32 PM
I'd suggest taking a mix of 180 grain SP (S&B, sometimes called Winchester), 203 grain SP and whatever else that's heavy and expanding point. Norma or Lapua are the very best. Then fire for effect and see which one groups best. You can fine tune a lot with handloads, but it doesn't sound like you have time.

Cal-gun Fan
May 5, 2012, 02:46 PM
I'd suggest taking a mix of 180 grain SP (S&B, sometimes called Winchester), 203 grain SP and whatever else that's heavy and expanding point. Norma or Lapua are the very best. Then fire for effect and see which one groups best. You can fine tune a lot with handloads, but it doesn't sound like you have time.
Yeah, definitely no time before the hunt what with school and finals. My dad and I do reload though, so I'm planning on getting 54r reloading equipment and some nice Lapua brass.

Cosmoline
May 5, 2012, 02:58 PM
If you want the ultimate hog killer for the 54R, load with the 215 grain Woodleigh slugs over IMR 4350. Those are MOA accurate out of my 1970. The bullet is .312" but don't let that fool you--it's tapered so the contact point is a "waist" portion at the base, and the Finn Mosins love that.

waterhouse
May 5, 2012, 04:48 PM
Congrats, great birthday present.

Wish I could get cool rifles for my birthday too. I hate being a grown up... now I have to BUY my own rifles.

The key is to buy yourself a rifle for your birthday :D

caribou
May 5, 2012, 09:45 PM
I dont thing there could be a better gift for a Free Man. A deadly, precise tool, both beautifull and accurate.

Lucky ,Lucky, Lucky!!!

blarby
May 5, 2012, 09:48 PM
Nice !

madcratebuilder
May 6, 2012, 08:26 AM
That is very nice. I sure wish I could be here fifty years from now and see what kind of collection you have by then.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
May 6, 2012, 10:24 AM
This young man will amass quite the collection. I hope his tastes don't change, because that is one freaking gorgeous looking rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "Amazing birthday present! M39" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!