Des Moines IA

PDA

good mojo
May 4, 2012, 03:43 PM
I used to shoot rifle/shotgun years ago before my kid was born. Just recently getting back into shooting now that he is showing interest in it. After hours of letting him load (of course training dummy rounds) and practice how to handle a handgun I gave him one live round to fire. It was great seeing the scared look of "what the hell" turn into "can I shoot it again". I would love to find some local clubs and ranges to go to, also any shooting programs for youth. Does anyone have any suggestions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Des Moines IA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hk Dan
May 4, 2012, 09:57 PM
I'd call Darrin Van Ryswick in Ames. If not that, there is a USPSA club in Ankeny andOsceola, and IDPA clubs in Ames and Boone.

Buck Kramer
May 4, 2012, 10:10 PM
I'm from NE IA, currently living in CR. My google-foo just brought up an Izaak Walton League in Des Moines, that might be a place to start. I'd say take a hunters safety course but he seems past that. Cedar Valley Outfitters in CR runs their own classes from CCW to Carbine courses, I'm sure there's something similar in Des Moines.

IAmNightMan
May 5, 2012, 07:20 PM
I personally frequent Banner Shooting Range; it is run by the DNR and open to the public. I normally go on weekday afternoons and it is nearly empty, no wait required, but i know it is much busier on the weekends and often requires a wait. The range staff in personable and they ensure all shooters are being safe. They have steels, pistol, rifle, and trap -- the longest rifle range is only 100 yds, however (if that is a factor).

As previously mentioned there is an Izaak Walton league, in the area, i do not belong but have heard good things. The only other range i know of in the area is the Butch Olofson range, unfortunately i have no personal experience there.

Rembrandt
May 5, 2012, 11:29 PM
http://www.amesikes.org/

good mojo
May 6, 2012, 03:49 PM
thank you to all, I have had him thru the hunter saftey course already adn he just recently went to the Drake Sportsmans Club first annual youth day where he had a blast. Unfortunatly I wasnt able to take him. Thanks for the info and places to start looking.

If you enjoyed reading about "Des Moines IA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!