Glock 17 v Sig P226: which is better duty pistol?

PDA

el Godfather
May 4, 2012, 06:36 PM
Dear THR,
Between Glock 17 and Sig P226, which is a better duty pistol with the following conditions:

A. Pistol is regularly cleaned as and when required.
B. Maximum session is sub thousand rounds.
C. Ergonomics count.
D. Combat Accuracy is important as well as Combat Reliability.
E. After market accessories are NOT important. What comes installed on the gun is important.
F. Consider all G17 models such as C as well as L. Whereas also consider all P226 models such as ELITE, Tactical Opperations, etc.
G. Price is NOT a factor.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 17 v Sig P226: which is better duty pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
allaroundhunter
May 4, 2012, 06:40 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

I like Sigs, I think their ergonomics are considerably better than Glocks and I shoot them better than Glocks.

Both are accurate, and both are dead nuts reliable.

el Godfather
May 4, 2012, 06:41 PM
What about points C and E?

EBShooting
May 4, 2012, 06:41 PM
I have carried both and far prefer the sig. I can shoot the G17 well, but I shoot the P226 way better.
For duty i would not get the C model as it would put a nice flash right in front of your eyes. Also, having a 17L, that is a long barrel to have to draw from a holster.
For me, both have been dependable. I just find the ergonomics of the Sig better for me. imho.

Eric

allaroundhunter
May 4, 2012, 06:42 PM
What about points C and E?

I addressed C already.

I like Sigs sights considerably more. I prefer the DA/SA over Glock's striker-fired system.

Ranger30-06
May 4, 2012, 06:44 PM
I accidentally voted for the Glock when I meant the Sig. If your babying the gun, then the Sig will win any day.

sigarms228
May 4, 2012, 06:47 PM
It all depends on what the individual shooter does best with. For me that is the P226.

LeonCarr
May 4, 2012, 06:49 PM
Glock, even if money is no object. I would just buy more than one :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

1KPerDay
May 4, 2012, 06:51 PM
C. Ergonomics count.

SIG. Mods, you can lock this thread now. :D

el Godfather
May 4, 2012, 06:56 PM
Let me hope for a clean fight with lots of invaluable inputs and opinions.

allaroundhunter
May 4, 2012, 06:56 PM
Let me hope for a clean fight with lots of invaluable inputs and opinions

Do you really start these for a "fight"?

el Godfather
May 4, 2012, 06:59 PM
Fight meant: for and against opinions to convince. A debate perhaps would have been a better word.

Robbins290
May 4, 2012, 07:18 PM
Sig p226

fatcat4620
May 4, 2012, 07:24 PM
Glock for the win. If duty pistol means I have to hump it around all day every day I will take the much lighter g17.
Also does the glock 34 count as a variation of the 17?

allaroundhunter
May 4, 2012, 09:35 PM
Also does the glock 34 count as a variation of the 17?

17 does not equal 34

fatcat4620
May 4, 2012, 10:07 PM
17 does not equal 34
Why not. I can put a 34 slide on a 17 frame. If you can count some super tactical 226 junk and the op allows the 17L then why not the 34? Are you afraid the 34 is better than the 226?

tomrkba
May 4, 2012, 10:11 PM
I prefer the SIG P226 over the Glock 17. I prefer the Glock 19 over both.

gunnutery
May 4, 2012, 10:11 PM
el Godfather,

I would like to thank you for thoroughly setting the peramitters for the poll. A lot of these discussions can be based too much on preference and the thread seems to be too random/chaotic (sometimes volatile).

allaroundhunter
May 4, 2012, 10:12 PM
Why not. I can put a 34 slide on a 17 frame. If you can count some super tactical 226 junk and the op allows the 17L then why not the 34? Are you afraid the 34 is better than the 226?

G34 better than the P226? No, not at all haha. If we go for target guns then you can feel free to put a stock G34 up against a P226 X-Five. Heck, I prefer a standard P226 over a G34.

But the OP specifically stated "All G17 models". The G34 is a different model, hence the different name for it...

9mmepiphany
May 4, 2012, 10:27 PM
I've tested both the G17 and the P226 as duty pistols with my old department. The P226 was an easy winner just based on shot-to-shot repeatability...faster follow up shots. I have to admit that the G19 (also an option with the department) was a much closer comparison to the shootability of the P226. I still use a G19 for clients who prefer that platform.

The Glock is easier to teach someone to shoot to an acceptable standard...a major plus in LEAs. But the SIG has more upside in accuracy

fatcat4620
May 4, 2012, 10:41 PM
Ok, the glock wins in item D. Which gun gives you a better first shot from the draw? Remember the shtf when you need a duty weapon, this is not the range.

allaroundhunter
May 4, 2012, 10:45 PM
Ok, the glock wins in item D. Which gun gives you a better first shot from the draw? Remember the shtf when you need a duty weapon, this is not the range.

This is an opinion poll. That might be the case for you, not everyone else. It is good that you have a gun that you shoot well, but trying to make a blanket statement like that is not what this thread is for.

If you are asking me though, the Sig gives me a better first shot than a Glock 17 (19 is a different story). And point D is not "first shot accuracy", it is "combat accuracy". Two different things.

Ian Johnson
May 4, 2012, 10:52 PM
I prefer the sig 226 because it fits my hand much better, but thats just me

coolluke01
May 4, 2012, 10:55 PM
I would argue that the 34 is not just like the 17. It's just a little shorter than the 17L which was allowed. I really don't think you can get more accuracy from a handgun than you can get with a 34. If you can I would like to see that target. I can make one jagged hole with my 34. The 17 is just as accurate.
It's all about what you want to lug around with you all day.

9mmepiphany
May 4, 2012, 10:55 PM
What is nice about the SIG P226 is that you have a choice of trigger modes...DAK, DA/SA, SAO.

It has been my experience that none of these trigger modes has an advantage in first shot speed or accuracy...certainly not Combat Accuracy

rikman
May 4, 2012, 10:56 PM
Sig

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

9mmepiphany
May 4, 2012, 10:59 PM
I would argue that the 34 is not just like the 17. It's just a little shorter than the 17L which was allowed. I really don't think you can get more accuracy from a handgun than you can get with a 34. If you can I would like to see that target. I can make one jagged hole with my 34. The 17 is just as accurate.
It's all about what you want to lug around with you all day.

taking into consideration that the OP posted:
E. After market accessories are NOT important. What comes installed on the gun is important.

A G34 with it's competition trigger would put it in a less suitable classification

TonyAngel
May 4, 2012, 11:02 PM
Since the question was regarding a duty weapon, I chose the Glock. It's tough and reliable. Based on my experience, I believe that it is more reliable in terms of withstanding neglect and harsh environments. It's also easier to work on and replace parts should the need arise.

fatcat4620
May 4, 2012, 11:09 PM
This is an opinion poll. That might be the case for you, not everyone else. It is good that you have a gun that you shoot well, but trying to make a blanket statement like that is not what this thread is for.

If you are asking me though, the Sig gives me a better first shot than a Glock 17 (19 is a different story). And point D is not "first shot accuracy", it is "combat accuracy". Two different things.
This thread its about a duty gun. When you need a duty gun that first shot could be the difference between a drt and the bad guy shooting back.

allaroundhunter
May 4, 2012, 11:14 PM
This thread its about a duty gun. When you need a duty gun that first shot could be the difference between a drt and the bad guy shooting back.

I answered what was asked in the poll, as did the rest of those who responded. You started the "first shot accuracy". And again, even that is still just your opinion. No argument here aside from the fact that first shot accuracy is not the same as combat accuracy. Your first shot from a Glock 17 might be better than from a P226, I am the opposite. But please, the OP has given enough parameters for discussion without adding more.

StrikeFire83
May 4, 2012, 11:15 PM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/strikefire83/Range%20Pics/Glock17.jpg

I'm closing in on 15,000 rounds (check my signature to see HOW close) and I've never had a single malfunction. Period. One squib round that failed to fire in 3 other guns. That's it.

And I've done NOTHING to this gun. I haven't changed out the recoil spring. Or any other springs. Just cleaning. The damn thing JUST WORKS.

I have no idea if it's better than the Sig 226, but it's pretty damn good.

fatcat4620
May 4, 2012, 11:16 PM
taking into consideration that the OP posted:

A G34 with it's competition trigger would put it in a less suitable classification
But the op includes the x5 http://www.sigsauer.com/catalogproductdetails/p226-x-five-competition.aspx
do you think the glock trigger on the 34 is so much better than the X5 that the glock should be excluded?

allaroundhunter
May 4, 2012, 11:17 PM
I'm closing in on 15,000 rounds (check my signature to see HOW close) and I've never had a single malfunction. Period. One squib round that failed to fire in 3 other guns. That's it.

And I've done NOTHING to this gun. I haven't changed out the recoil spring. Or any other springs. Just cleaning. The damn thing JUST WORKS.

I have no idea if it's better than the Sig 226, but it's pretty damn good.

Your G17 is holding up much better than my G19. How long have you had it if you don't mind me asking?

do you think the glock trigger on the 34 is so much better than the X5 that the glock should be excluded?

No, the reasons for excluding the 34 are valid and have been well explained. You can either take them or leave them, but the OP clearly says G17 and its direct variants or P226 and its direct variants.

fatcat4620
May 4, 2012, 11:25 PM
I answered what was asked in the poll, as did the rest of those who responded. You started the "first shot accuracy". And again, even that is still just your opinion. No argument here aside from the fact that first shot accuracy is not the same as combat accuracy. Your first shot from a Glock 17 might be better than from a P226, I am the opposite. But please, the OP has given enough parameters for discussion without adding more.
When I say first shot accuracy and combat accuracy I am talking about the same thing. Handgun fighting is about winning. If you can't out the first round on target then your target has a chance to put a round on you. Remember when you preface this as a duty weapon you infer that we are going into a fight.

StrikeFire83
May 4, 2012, 11:31 PM
Your G17 is holding up much better than my G19. How long have you had it if you don't mind me asking?

Purchased new in early 2006. It has that awesome glossy Tenifer finish that Glock doesn't seem to use anymore. (my newish G26 looks good, but it's more "matte" if that makes sense) Longest single range session was 500 rounds and no problems. I taught my ex-girlfriend how to shoot on this gun. I taught my current girlfriend how to shoot on this gun. Seven or eight people who never shot guns before fired their first rounds through this'un, sometimes limp-wristing with locked elbows (despite my instructions otherwise). No malfunctions.

fatcat4620
May 4, 2012, 11:31 PM

No, the reasons for excluding the 34 are valid and have been well explained. You can either take them or leave them, but the OP clearly says G17 and its direct variants or P226 and its direct variants.
So the 34 (or any glock for that mater) is not a variant if the 17 then the X5 can not be counted as well.

9mmepiphany
May 4, 2012, 11:32 PM
But the op includes the x5
Actually he didn't; the OP says
all P226 models such as ELITE, Tactical Opperations,
...neither of those are competition models

The OP shut down the first competition model (G34) that was mentioned and no one has asked about the X-5 yet

then the X5 can not be counted as well.
No one is counting it but you

allaroundhunter
May 4, 2012, 11:33 PM
So the 34 (or any glock for that mater) is not a variant if the 17 then the X5 can not be counted as well

I will show you a couple pictures.
http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P226-XFIVE-detail-R.jpg

This slide says: P226

Again, one is a P226 variant, the other is a different model than the Glock 17

all P226 models

9mmepiphany
May 4, 2012, 11:50 PM
When I say first shot accuracy and combat accuracy I am talking about the same thing. Handgun fighting is about winning. If you can't out the first round on target then your target has a chance to put a round on you. Remember when you preface this as a duty weapon you infer that we are going into a fight.
I think you inference is a bit skewed. LEOs will draw their weapons many more times to hold suspects at gunpoint than they will ever fire them. On my department, officers working at night would draw their guns numerous time each shift and very few fired them in anger during their careers.

I don't think the OP mentioned first shot speed or accuracy either and I'd hold off an extended argument about it until the OP chimes in.

FWIW: Real world testing has shown that there is no difference in first shot speed or accuracy between trigger systems, much less platforms.

fatcat4620
May 4, 2012, 11:54 PM
Bam, thank you allaroindhunter. So...is a porsche GT2 better than a stock corvette?

StrikeFire83
May 4, 2012, 11:56 PM
Who cares about whether or not the Glock 34 "qualifies." Last time I checked 34 ≠ 17.

Rent or borrow both guns and shoot the snot out of them. They're both excellent firearms with proven track records. Pick the one you shoot better and enjoy it.

As for all this "first shot accuracy" garbage, it's incredibly stupid. Jerry Miculek shoots a double action revolver faster and more accurately than almost anyone can shoot anything and that's the "slowest" action.

fatcat4620
May 4, 2012, 11:58 PM
I think you inference is a bit skewed. LEOs will draw their weapons many more times to hold suspects at gunpoint than they will ever fire them. On my department, officers working at night would draw their guns numerous time each shift and very few fired them in anger during their careers.

I don't think the OP mentioned first shot speed or accuracy either and I'd hold off an extended argument about it until the OP chimes in.

FWIW: Real world testing has shown that there is no difference in first shot speed or accuracy between trigger systems, much less platforms.
Do officers draw their weapons to detain non threatening suspects?

allaroundhunter
May 5, 2012, 12:00 AM
Do officers draw their weapons to detain non threatening suspects?

Yes, they do.

jfrey
May 5, 2012, 12:01 AM
Between the Sig and the Glock I would rather have the Sig as a duty gun. I'd pick my G19 over both of them, if I had a choice.

allaroundhunter
May 5, 2012, 12:02 AM
deleted

fatcat4620
May 5, 2012, 12:11 AM
As for all this "first shot accuracy" garbage, it's incredibly stupid. Jerry Miculek shoots a double action revolver faster and more accurately than almost anyone can shoot anything and that's the "slowest" action.
And if every cop was as god as jerry they would not need to unload three mags on a suspect that ended up surviving being shot at 51+ times.

fatcat4620
May 5, 2012, 12:13 AM
You guys win. As per the OP a babied sig is better than a glock.

ugaarguy
May 5, 2012, 12:23 AM
Under those parameters you're not even approaching the maximum capability of either pistol.
C. Ergonomics count.
See reply from beatledog7 (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=8132038&postcount=9) to your previous 9mm poll. We all have different hands. For me it would be a p226e2 DAK with short trigger.
Both are more than combat accurate. Both are proven in combat conditions.
F. Consider all G17 models such as C as well as L. Whereas also consider all P226 models such as ELITE, Tactical Opperations, etc.
For a LE duty pistol it'll probably be spec'd with Trijicon 3 dot night sights factory installed on any variation from either maker. Glocks come with an accessory rail standard. The SIG 226 is available railed in most variations, and that's a pretty common choice on LE pistols for mounting a light. Other than the inherent differences in safeties and fire control groups equivalent versions of each pistol are on the market
Price probably won't be a factor for most end users on a duty pistol anyway: It will be chosen, purchased, and issued by your agency or department.

If I have to provide it myself from an approved list there will likely be some other pistols on the approved list with grips more like a SIG e2, and prices more like a Glock. Playing along with money no issue and limited to the two pistols in the poll see my answer to C. Add factory installed 3 dot tritium night sights, and make it the railed frame version. If someone else shoots Glocks better than SIGs for whatever reason, that should be what they choose.

Really it all circles back to ergonomic efficiency, and that differs for each person. SIG has multiple fire control, trigger, and grip options to adapt to the individual. Glock has changeable back straps on the Gen4 17 (or you can cheat the poll, and include aftermarket grips reductions / other modifications.) I'm not voting because what's best for me may not be best for you, or anyone else for that matter.

StrikeFire83
May 5, 2012, 12:24 AM
You guys win. As per the OP a babied sig is better than a glock.

Dude, look at my previous posts, I voted for the Glock 17. I love my Glock 17. I HATE the DA/SA transition, I like ONE consistent trigger pull.

That said, all of this "faster first shot" stuff just seems silly to me.

fatcat4620
May 5, 2012, 12:27 AM
Strike, thst was not pointed toward you.

Inebriated
May 5, 2012, 01:42 AM
It's user preference. No discernible advantage with one over the other, given the conditions listed. I shoot Glocks more at the moment, so I'd go with what I shoot most.

el Godfather
May 5, 2012, 02:35 AM
I have noticed one thing. That although Glock is winning the poll, most of the arguements presented are in favor of Sig.

This is a bit strange, but nevertheless.

LTR shooter
May 5, 2012, 01:35 PM
For me , no contest - have fired both and prefer the Sig by a large margin. Now have a P226 and P239 , both 9mm. Both have exceeded my expectations on how accurately a service pistol can shoot while still being totally reliable. The E2 style grip on the P226 fits me far and away better than any other hi-cap pistol.

el Godfather
May 5, 2012, 05:00 PM
For me, I became fond Sig226 after I handled the Elite model. Until such time I always prefered Glock 17. I belive the slimmer profile of Ehanced Elite and SRT were the key in changing my mind.

jmr40
May 5, 2012, 05:35 PM
I have both. Either would be my #1 and #2 picks if I had to pick up a gun right now. Based on "YOUR" criteria I'd call it a tie.

The Sig looks better and wins the beauty contest.

But price is a factor, and Glock wins on this count. Not only on guns, but magazines, accessories, and night sights etc., as well.

If both are kept clean as in your criteria, and not abused, I'd call reliablity and accuracy a tie as well.

But in the real world sometimes it is impossible to keep your gun perfectly clean and it my have to be used when filthy or after being abused if dropped while in a scuffle with with an attacker. On this count Glock also wins.

ptb351
May 5, 2012, 05:43 PM
Sig 226

el Godfather
May 5, 2012, 06:15 PM
Jmr40
Price is NOT a factor

atomd
May 5, 2012, 07:03 PM
OK, a gun you have to carry 40+ hours per week but use somewhat infrequently? That's easy....assuming they are both reliable, accurate, durable pistols that require equal upkeep, I'll take the lighter of the 2 please....hands down.

It's really funny because all the "rules" of the selection seem to want to equal out the 2 pistols to make the SIG as desirable as the Glock in almost every category (ergonomics is subjective though). Most people seem to think that SIG pistols run better clean and wet and the Glock will withstand a little bit more crud, the accessories for SIG cost WAY more, the pistols cost WAY more, you allow for customized versions of the SIG that cost even more than that whereas the Glock is just a couple of versions within a hundred bucks or so of each other.

I'm not knocking SIG really, it's just that when people buy a Glock they seem to buy it for those reasons. When you rule them out it changes the game a bit.

PR-NJ
May 5, 2012, 08:33 PM
I have a Glock 19 and a Sig P228, which I guess are the compact versions of the two guns in the poll. From an all around practical, battle-ready perspective, I gave the Glock the nod. However, the Sig is a sexier pistol.

el Godfather
May 6, 2012, 03:56 AM
PR NJ

May I ask how your decision came upon Glock after going through the list of conditions outlined in original post.

PR-NJ
May 6, 2012, 08:37 AM
The primary objective was to determine the better DUTY pistol. I didn't weigh the listed criteria equally (in fact, some seemed incompatible with the primary objective: regularly cleaned as and when required, price is not a factor). Other important criteria were not listed, and considering these, in my view Glock wins (G17 compared to 226): magazine capacity (17, 19 or even 33 vs. 15), carry weight (with magazine, no cartridges: 24.79 oz. vs. 34.0 oz.) and trigger action (consistent vs. DA/SA). Ultimately, both are fine pistols, and user preference - given the option - should dictate.

Anecdotally, my P228 feels better in my hand, but I shoot more consistently and accurately with the G19. I don't know why.

PabloJ
May 6, 2012, 08:40 AM
Dear THR,
Between Glock 17 and Sig P226, which is a better duty pistol with the following conditions:

C. Ergonomics count.

Thanks.
Heckler & Koch Universal Pistole aka USP because that is what elite units from modern countries use or want to use.

el Godfather
May 7, 2012, 12:00 AM
Atomd
If the conditions given favor Sig then why still chose Glock. The conditions given are NOT by design to benefit one pistol over the other, but to reflect and highlight particular requirements of an individual to determine a suitable choice or more desirable option between the two listed.

gmh1013
May 7, 2012, 12:05 AM
Never drank Glock koolaide....The Sig hands down
Cant hit the side of a barn with any Glock....way to light for me....

Jed Carter
May 7, 2012, 05:11 AM
Own both in multiple calibers, really like both, but if I had to carry one on the job, I would prefer to carry the lighter pistol, Glock. Most of my SIGs have become safe queens, except their 1911s, G17 nightstand pistol, G34 Production division USPSA, G35 heavily modified Limited / Limited 10 pistol. Only my SIG RCS 1911 and P238 see much use these days, actually traded a .40 S&W P226 for the G35.

vaherder
May 7, 2012, 08:02 AM
have used both in combat when my life and others has been on the line. P226 will always be my first choice over a Glock any Glock. A Glock 17 wouldnt go boom for me when I pulled the trigger and I was lucky my chief did not have Glock. I had no choice in this situation and I personally cleaned and test fired the Glock.

Even not taking this incident into account Sig226 is the far superior weapon in combat.

I have never had a Sig, Walther, Fnh, Beretta, S&W ever let me down in combat.

Remember most local, state, and Fed contracts are low bid and the selection amde on price and not performance

Friends dont let friends shoot Glocks.

atomd
May 7, 2012, 08:14 AM
Atomd
If the conditions given favor Sig then why still chose Glock. The conditions given are NOT by design to benefit one pistol over the other, but to reflect and highlight particular requirements of an individual to determine a suitable choice or more desirable option between the two listed.

I mean that the conditions favor the SIG only to increase it's desirability in those areas to equal the glock, whereas the Glock does well in those areas to begin with. I would choose the Glock because of the weight anyways for a duty pistol though.

pcf
May 7, 2012, 08:26 AM
I've carried both as duty guns.

My choice for a duty gun is Glock

1. It weighs less.
2. On officer can buy a full size and compact Glock for $100 more than a P226.
3. It's easier and less expensive to armor, lets face it not every department armorer has any business touching a gun. The Glock is harder to screw up, especially front sight installs.
4. It's accurate enough.
5. Training/SIM guns cost less.

On an individual basis I think the Sig is a better gun. But when it comes to a duty gun, I think the Glock is a better overall package.

CaptainHook
May 7, 2012, 08:51 AM
I've owned both, and still have the 226. Enough said.

fatcat4620
May 7, 2012, 09:30 AM
have used both in combat when my life and others has on the line. P226 will always be my first choice over a Glock any Glock. A Glock 17 wouldnt go boom for me when I pulled the trigger and I was lucky my chief did not have Glock. I had no choice in this situation and I personally cleaned and test fired theGlock.
Very interesting, what made your glock fail?

el Godfather
May 7, 2012, 02:01 PM
Kindly check the criteria listed on the original post rather than making your own as otherwise criteria would change from person to person and I wanted to know which people prefer and why, in light of my criteria. Thank you.

snake eater 332
May 7, 2012, 02:47 PM
I've carried a Sig P226 as an LEO for 15+ years, in 9mm until we recently changed over to the .40S&W P226R. The Sig P226 is solidly and well built, very ergonomic, and über reliable. I've also used the P226 back in my days with the teams at 2/1 SFG(A). I have never had a single issue with any Sig that I have carried and I've put them through some extreme punishment at times.

On the other hand, I have owned Glocks as long as I've been able to buy my own handgun. I have carried a either a Glock 19 or 26/27 as my EDC and off-duty my entire adulthood.

Over the years, I have also used and trained with numerous weapons systems, both foreign and domestic, as a result of almost a decade in the military, primarily special operations and military intelligence, and a long LE career.

IMHO, and based upon extensive experience with both platforms, the Glock is second only to the Sig P226 as a duty gun.

Mike OTDP
May 7, 2012, 02:54 PM
Whichever gun points best in your hand. It's very much an issue of fit...Glocks (and Lugers) fit some people quite well, Sigs (and 1911s) suit other folks. It's all a matter of hand shape.

el Godfather
May 8, 2012, 12:17 AM
Vaherder
Please note that price is not a factor. We held it constant to get result/opinion based on quality.

JohnBiltz
May 8, 2012, 03:59 AM
I've owned both, now I only own Glocks. If I had to carry one of two reliable accurate guns all day long I'd rather carry the lighter one.

Striker
May 8, 2012, 10:43 AM
Glock 17 for me. My Gen 1 has a high round count (was a range rental prior to me purchasing it) and I've got 20K through it. Other then routine spring replacements, I've done nothing to it.

Not a 226 fan, but have seen cracked slide rails on one, as well as on a personally owned 220.

Bottom line for me is that while a Glock has no soul, it has been totally reliable under a variety of conditions for me.

As always, YMMV.

el Godfather
May 8, 2012, 04:28 PM
I never understood the soul story
of innate objects.

meanmrmustard
May 8, 2012, 05:09 PM
I never understood the soul story ob innate objects.
Me, either. If my Glock starts talking to me, then there's a problem.

el Godfather
May 9, 2012, 02:56 AM
The SRT in tacops and elite model goves you excellent follow up shots.

45_auto
May 9, 2012, 07:02 AM
The SRT in tacops and elite model goves you excellent follow up shots.

Can you tell us what specific brands or models of pistols DON"T give excellent "follow up shots"?

PabloJ
May 9, 2012, 08:07 AM
of innate objects.
It's 1911 kinda thing. You know my "pops or grandpa had one at Corregidor".

the count
May 9, 2012, 09:18 AM
I had a similar poll going a couple days ago using a fictitious setting (the THR gods did not approve) with those two guns plus 2 45s to choose from (1911 and HK45). When it ended after a total of 40 or so votes the Sig was ahead. In a duty/combat scenario one must take things into consideration that are totally different from range shooting. To make a long story short, I voted for the Glock even though I actually prefer to shoot the Sig. Reasons include.... Glock has no safety or decocker to think about. Much lighter to carry. Extremely reliable.

easyg
May 9, 2012, 09:27 AM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n165/allenXdog/photobucket-6036-1332454720498.jpg

postalnut25
May 9, 2012, 09:38 AM
I would chose the Glock for duty out of these two. However, since I bought my own duty gun I chose an S&W.

The Glock is lighter. The Glock is dead nuts reliable. The ergonomics are better. P226s are huge, while the grip on a Glock fits a wider variety of hands. Duty gear is always in stock for Glocks since so many cops carry them. The magazines don't seem to get dinged up during your quals when you drop them since they are covered in polymer.

allaroundhunter
May 9, 2012, 10:02 AM
The SRT in tacops and elite model goves you excellent follow up shots

I get excellent follow-up shots with the standard trigger as well, you don't need to change the trigger in order for it to be good. There are not too many complaints about Sigs standard trigger.

Sapper771
May 9, 2012, 11:44 AM
This was a tough choice for me because I own and enjoy both Sigs and Glocks. I have carried a Glock on duty in the past, but it was the 17's meaner brother, the Glock 31.

Considering your points:

A: A duty weapon is required to be clean, lubricated, and functioning before the Officer's watch. Neither the Glock or the Sig comes ahead here.

B: Normally, Departments will qualify twice a year, and these days that means around 200-500 rounds per session (budget allowing). Most of the Officers I worked with do not practice off duty. Both the Sig and the Glock can handle this amount of ammo with no concerns.

C: This is mostly shooter dependent. Most people can adapt to whatever firearm they are issued , so ergos are a bit subjective. I think that the Sig has the better ergos, so Sig wins hSig, by opinion.

D: Both are reliable and combat accurate. The Sigs that I have fired have been more accurate than the Glocks that I have shot. Since we are only grading on combat accuracy and reliability, this is a tie.

E: I do not like the factory sights on a Glock. I like the factory contrast sights on the Sig. Both are usable, but the Sig sights are more durable and offer a better sight picture, IMO. Sig wins by opinion.

F: The Glock 17L and 17C models are not good duty weapons, IME. The Sig Elite, E2, Blackwater, Tactical Operations, etc. Could be used as duty pistols. While most of them have upgrades that are not needed, they can still be used. The only things that I would want on my Sig P226 duty pistol would be night sights, SRT, standard trigger, and a set of good grips. Sig, by experience.

G: N/A

I voted Sig based on the above points that are specified. I carry Glocks at the moment, and would not hesitate carrying one into battle.

Striker
May 9, 2012, 12:28 PM
of innate objects.

Me, either. If my Glock starts talking to me, then there's a problem.

So I guess y'all don't name your cars either, eh? :D

CZguy
May 9, 2012, 12:38 PM
So I guess y'all don't name your cars either, eh?

Actually I don't name anything that isn't alive.

Both the Glock and Sig are good reliable duty pistols, but if given the choice I would rather carry a Sig.

el Godfather
May 9, 2012, 02:10 PM
45 Auto there are many. One for example is Sigma, and betwee Elite and G17, Elite works better for me.

el Godfather
May 9, 2012, 02:49 PM
Sapper771
Thank you for using the given criteria

meanmrmustard
May 9, 2012, 07:19 PM
So I guess y'all don't name your cars either, eh? :D
No. I'll name a car or gun when I name my tools, cuz they are just that, tools. I'd name a guinea pig though.

JohnBiltz
May 9, 2012, 08:50 PM
I don't name anything that will not respond when called, well, except for my cats. I don't believe in souls in guns unless someone can tell me where in the factory they are put in. Every time I hear someone say this gun has a soul I think less of the poster.

As to the criteria, I do think you selected criteria to skew the results of your poll because you said to disregard things that favored Glocks like price and aftermarket items but included things that favored Sigs like ergos. I could propose a poll between 1911s and a Glock 26 and use as my criteria that the size of the bullet and long range accuracy doesn't matter or I could do the same poll where weight, price size and capacity does not matter. I think the results would be very different and I think that is what you are trying to do here.

Shipwreck
May 9, 2012, 08:52 PM
I'll take Beretta 92 for the block

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/9-wheel-o-berettacopy.jpg

Okiegunner
May 9, 2012, 10:24 PM
This will probably draw some Glock heat. I own a couple of different Sigs, a 226, and a poly 2340. As much as the 226 is legendary, in my opinion my 2340 is a better shooter. Next best in my lineup is a Yakuz-16, this pistol is an exact copy (clone) of the Beretta 92f.

As for me...I would have to say the Glock would be my 2nd choice.

el Godfather
May 10, 2012, 04:31 PM
Never heard if Yakuz. Where is it made?

el Godfather
May 15, 2012, 04:23 PM
How does Glock 17 ny trigger compare to sig srt?

9mmepiphany
May 15, 2012, 04:52 PM
They are completely different.

The SRT affects the distance from release to reset.

The NY trigger affects the feel/weight of the pre-travel/takeup before the release

minutemen1776
May 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
Interesting discussion. Here are some comments/questions:

1) I agree on the whole guns/souls thing. I don't get it either. This seems to come up mostly in discussions about revolvers and 1911s though.

2) These guns have been described as "dead nuts reliable." What, exactly, is is that dead nuts can reliably do? I can think of things they reliably CANNOT do. :evil:

3) Seriously, I have become interested in the Sig P226, and was looking at some CPO pistols last week. I was intrigued, though, with the new DAK pistols in the case. The trigger pull seemed really short and light. What do others think of these?

4) Finally, it's interesting that many comments have placed the P226 above the G17, but rate the G19 above both. That seems peculiar, but I think I see the point. I've no experience with Sigs, but I've had both a G17 and G19, and I infinitely preferred the G19. On paper, these two are barely different, but in the hand it's much different.

9mmepiphany
May 17, 2012, 06:58 PM
3) Seriously, I have become interested in the Sig P226, and was looking at some CPO pistols last week. I was intrigued, though, with the new DAK pistols in the case. The trigger pull seemed really short and light. What do others think of these?
The DAK is a very shootable trigger system and is especially adaptable for shooter who usually shoot revolvers.

They are run a little differently when shooting at speed (4-5rds/sec)

el Godfather
June 3, 2012, 05:07 AM
Heavier pull must result in slower rate of fire. So it seems?

the count
June 3, 2012, 08:38 PM
After 100 posts I would say all that can be said about the 2 guns has been said.

coolluke01
June 3, 2012, 08:45 PM
Glock wins again!!!

230therapy
June 3, 2012, 09:12 PM
The SIG requires more lubrication on the rails. This is very important to protect the aluminum frame during shooting.

If both are maintained, then the difference is in the trigger and recoil management. The Glock's trigger is much lighter and is easier to master. The SIG's double action trigger takes some time to learn. The bore axis is higher on the SIG, but shooters have to learn the recoil characteristics regardless of model.

Both are good guns. If you cannot decide, buy one of each! This is THR!

el Godfather
June 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
Very close, but glock seems to have an edge oin poll whereas more posts are for sig. Go figure.

tomrkba
June 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
Both have their fans. There are trade-offs for each.

tomrkba
June 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
Maybe you should buy a 1911 :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 17 v Sig P226: which is better duty pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!