Cobra Patriot .45 ACP Report

PDA

MurrayNevada
February 17, 2004, 10:34 PM
Cobra Patriot .45 ACP Report

I want to begin by saying that I am a novice compared to many of you folks. The below review is just my laymans impressions of this pistol.

I received my Cobra Patriot .45 yesterday morning.

Out of the Box:
The Patriot, in the past, was produced by Republic Arms. Republic Arms was purchased by Cobra Enterprises of Salt Lake City and they now produce the Patriot .45. While awaiting the arrival of my Patriot I read everything I could about the gun including subscribing to the Yahoo Republic Arms Patriot .45 newsgroup:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RepublicArmsPatriot45/

Due to my reading about the Republic Arms version of the Patriot I was expecting a much less refined pistol than the Cobra Enterprises model I received. The Patriot was much more “finished” than were my P-11, P-32, P3AT, and P-40 Kel-Tecs. None of the machine marks were present inside or outside the stainless steel slide. There were also no machine marks on the stainless steel barrel including the feed ramp. The frame is all polymer.

Fluff and Buff:
I did a Kel-Tec like F&B. The trigger pull is heavier and rougher than the Kel-Tecs and I did some F&B on the striker assembly components which somewhat helped the trigger roughness.

Range:
I went to the range this morning with 50 rounds of Win White Box FMJ (USA45AVP) and 50 rounds of Win White Box JHP (USA45JHP). The Patriot .45 is the first self loading pistol that I have fired the first 100 rounds through, without any malfunctions, in quite a while. This includes a recently purchased Kahr and Glock. POA equaled POI at 7 yards (I limited the first range session to 100 rds at 7 yards). The trigger lost some additional “roughness" during these first 100 rounds.

I disassembled the Patriot .45 for cleaning and was happy to see that one hundred rounds had caused no galling or damage to the polymer rails or stainless steel parts of the pistol. I am very happy with this new addition and now have the lightweight .45 ACP I have been looking for. I would recommend the Cobra Patriot .45 to my Kel-Tec friends without reservation. Give them a look at:
http://www.cobrapistols.com/products/doubleaction.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Cobra Patriot .45 ACP Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
November
February 17, 2004, 11:05 PM
I have the old Republic Arms version, and have had zero problems with it as well. I see them at the shows and may pick up another just because I am a big fan of the design and caliber.

MurrayNevada
February 17, 2004, 11:18 PM
It is little known but the Patriot .45 was designed by world famous firearms designer Nehemia Sirkis. Sirkis was a member of the Israeli national shooting team for 20 years and won the Israeli title seven times during his athletic career.

Sirkis is one of the world's foremost weapons designers. In 1997, he joined Kimber of America, one of the world's top gun manufacturers (located in Yonkers, New York). The Patriot .45 is a really well designed pistol and also bargain.

Badger Arms
February 18, 2004, 01:46 AM
Didn't he also design the Intratec CAT-9?

Tamara
February 18, 2004, 01:51 AM
Didn't he also design the Intratec CAT-9?

Maybe, but he sure doesn't put it on any resumes. ;)

In all seriousness, I think my gunsmith summed up the CAT's pretty well: "You know, if they'd spent about $1.50 more per gun in the manufacturing, these might've been worthwhile little pistols." :)

Tropical Z
February 18, 2004, 10:43 AM
Besides the gun,what else was included? Two mags? What is the mag quality? Anybody have stats on what kind of velocity you can get out of a 3" barrel with say a 200gr HP?
Thanx

Herk
February 18, 2004, 10:57 AM
If you don't mind, what price do they usually sell at?

cratz2
February 18, 2004, 12:06 PM
In all seriousness, I think my gunsmith summed up the CAT's pretty well: "You know, if they'd spent about $1.50 more per gun in the manufacturing, these might've been worthwhile little pistols."

Yeah, but that would have just about trippled the manufacturing costs, wouldn't it? :p

On the Patriot, I think of it as a more extreme Glock... Rugged, burable, reliable and butt-ugly. Just on a cheaper scale. I haven't even handled one of the new ones, but put several rounds through an older Republic Arms version and had no problems that I can recall. Nice gun for the price, if a bit clunky but a very worthy alternative to Hi Points and Rugers.

Onslaught
February 18, 2004, 02:26 PM
Congrats on your purchase. I considered one myself years ago, but I let the guy behind the counter talk me into spending twice as much.

Is it just me, or does the Patriot 9 look JUST A TAD like the Kel-Tec P32-P3AT????

http://www.cobrapistols.com/images/doubleaction_patriot9.gif

November
February 18, 2004, 07:43 PM
The Patriot mags are of good quality. They MIGHT be Mec-Gars. In any case, the Patriot can also use regular old 1911 mags (Officer's size fits best). Sale price is usually $250-$300. I paid $265, but I wouldn't feel terrible if I had spent a little over $300.

BowStreetRunner
February 18, 2004, 07:54 PM
nice report, thanks :)

Herk
February 18, 2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks,

I'm gonna check and see if my local shop has one I can check out.

Drakejake
February 18, 2004, 09:30 PM
I think Patriot mags are made by Pro Mag, not known for their precision or quality. The Colt Officer's mags, which seem to work fairly well, are higher quality. I have had jamming problems with both kinds of mags. And the Patriot has done a good deal of damage to my trigger finger. So I have mixed feelings about this pistol.

Drakejake

JackDRipper
February 19, 2004, 01:46 AM
Old Magazines for the Republic Arm Patriot were made by USA Mags then they switched to newer Magazines that are made by ProMag. Not sure who Cobra now has make their mags but probably ProMag. Haven't had any problems with mine (magazines or gun) Check old my Patriot Pages for more information on the Patriot.
JR

http://www.geocities.com/johnboyp45/page1.html
http://www.geocities.com/johnboyp45/page2.html
http://www.geocities.com/johnboyp45/page3.html
http://www.geocities.com/johnboyp45/page4.html

WonderNine
February 19, 2004, 02:07 AM
Is it just me, or does the Patriot 9 look JUST A TAD like the Kel-Tec P32-P3AT????

No, actually it looks just like a certain pistol who's name escapes me (not a Kel-Tec). And that's what scares me.

WonderNine
February 19, 2004, 03:10 AM
http://www.cobrapistols.com/images/doubleaction_patriot9.gif

If somebody can tell me what defunk company made a virtually identical gun to this, I'll buy you a cookie. :D

I've only seen them in the black slide variation, but I think there was a stainless slide as well.

Hint #1: It had a reputation for blowing up in people's faces.

Hint #2: I'm not talking about Republic Arms.

Why can't I think of the name??? I almost bought one until I went online and did a little research on TFL and Packing.org courtesy of google.com....

I keep thinking Heritage Stealth, but that's 100% for sure not the gun I'm thinking of, cuz it doesn't look like it, but the name comes to mind for some reason. I'm thinking though that it had a name like a snake? With an R in it, but not Raven of course....

OMG this is driving me nuts.

I have a semi-photographic memory so I know I'm right!!! :D

arinvolvo
February 19, 2004, 03:41 AM
grendel? for snake names, you DO know that the guns in question are made by cobra right?

WonderNine
February 19, 2004, 03:46 AM
grendel?

No, that's not it. I'm thinking it was made by a pissant manufacter in California in the early to mid-nineties (not grendel)...but I'm not sure that it was made there. It had a specific name.

for snake names, you DO know that the guns in question are made by cobra right?

Absolutely. I don't think that's why I'm thinking snake though.

arinvolvo
February 19, 2004, 03:50 AM
well, the intratec protec 25 looked a bit like that.

WonderNine
February 19, 2004, 03:52 AM
No, I'm sorry that's not it either. The gun I'm thinking of looks virtually identical to the one pictured. In fact I would assume it's basically the same thing.

arinvolvo
February 19, 2004, 03:52 AM
how about the sundance boa?

edit..doesnt look close enough, sorry.

WonderNine
February 19, 2004, 03:54 AM
I'm gonna have to obsess about this overnight, with any luck it'll come to me in an early morning dream.

arinvolvo
February 19, 2004, 03:59 AM
Well, speaking of pissant cali pistol manufacturers, this is what comes to mind.

Sundance Industries
Arcadia Machine & Tool (AMT
Phoenix Arms
Davis Industries
Lorcin Engineering
Bryco Arms
Raven Arms

WonderNine
February 19, 2004, 04:01 AM
I don't think any of those manufacters are right and I've heard very much of them all. I know this is as frustrating for you as it is for me. It is somebody I had just heard of a few months ago as well. I had never heard of them previously, but their pistols did seem to get around.

I originally found this gun by searching for ultra cheap junk a few months back on gunbroker. Then I read some reviews on it. The guy had the gun listed for like $90 NIB. Maybe I didn't mention for certain before, but it was 9mm.

arinvolvo
February 19, 2004, 04:06 AM
Sedco? they used to be in lake elsinore, and produced some ugly crap.

arinvolvo
February 19, 2004, 04:16 AM
By the way, i officially HATE you now...I dont know if i have seen what you are talking about or not...maybe it is the power of suggestion, but i feel like i know what you are talking about...just cant get my mind around it.

WonderNine
February 19, 2004, 04:53 AM
y the way, i officially HATE you now...I dont know if i have seen what you are talking about or not...maybe it is the power of suggestion, but i feel like i know what you are talking about...just cant get my mind around it.

I have!!! I swear!!!

The reason I can't get it out of MY mind is because I wouldn't mind having one of those Cobra 9mm's on gunbroker for about half the price of a Kel-Tec P11 as an extra coat pocket gun.

Tamara
February 19, 2004, 08:30 AM
Are you referring to Talon Arms, maker of cheesy low-ball Kel-Tec knockoffs?

PCRCCW
February 19, 2004, 08:40 AM
Tamara, you beat me to it.................AARRGGHH! :D

The Talon Arms guns were pushed by a pawn shop in SLC as the "end all best guns made!"..........up to the point that talon went out of business. They then closed them out and dont sell many guns now.................

Hmmmmmmm....it makes you wonder why they dont sell many guns now? :D :rolleyes:

Shoot well.

Badger Arms
February 19, 2004, 01:24 PM
"Cobra" is simply a cover name for many bad pistols and one good one. They bought out Davis, Republic Arms, and 'Talon' whatever that was. They still make the Davis Derringer and Saturday Night Specials. Recognize these beauties?

http://www.cobrapistols.com/images/singleaction_CA380.gifhttp://www.cobrapistols.com/images/singleaction_FS380.gif

http://www.cobrapistols.com/images/derringer_bigbore.gif

BTW: A thread ON the patriot should also include a picture OF the patriot:

http://www.cobrapistols.com/images/doubleaction_patriot45.gif

WonderNine
February 19, 2004, 04:02 PM
Are you referring to Talon Arms

Yes!!! :) :) :) :cool:

Talon T200 that's it!!! Thank you!!

Does anybody know if Cobra has made the Patriot 9 "safe"?

I wouldn't mind getting one for the price they're selling them at if they go bang and don't have a trigger with the weight of a P-11.....and don't blow up.

MurrayNevada
February 19, 2004, 04:19 PM
Badger Arms:
Thanks for the picture of the Patriot. Attaching a picture is beyond my capabilities. I will not argue the merits of the other pistols you mention but I have read enough internet threads to know that folks hold the Patriot .45 in higher regard than those other firearms.

pisankihead
February 20, 2004, 05:27 AM
For anyone looking to get their hands on a Cobra Patriot .45 for a great price, I just happened to notice one w/2 magazines up for bid @

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=5495900

:)

Tropical Z
February 20, 2004, 10:56 AM
I called the factory to see about using officers 1911,6 rounders and the guy said that they can be used with modification.What does that mean? I thought that a 6 rounder would fit fine and flush-is this not true?

Badger Arms
February 20, 2004, 01:01 PM
No, the Colt magazines are at a different angle than the Patriot. They lock and feed, but the floorplate is at a funny angle.

Helio
February 20, 2004, 03:32 PM
The Cobra Arms FS380 appear to be a redesigned Lorcin, they go for about $75 I believe. I also tend to think that they have improved the quality of all the brands they have aquired, but who knows!?

CA32/320 & Derrengers = Davis
FS380 = Lorcin
Patriot .45 = Republic Arms
Patriot .380/9mm = Talon

Badger Arms
February 20, 2004, 05:40 PM
IIRC, Davis and Lorcin are two names for the same outfit? You can't do much to lower the quality and reliability of this class of guns, so raising it should be a pretty simple benchmark. The newer patriot looks better than the ones I stocked when they first came out. Mine were in the 5xx serial number range. Had about 5, I think, in consecutive serial numbers in stock. All sold quickly.

WonderNine
February 20, 2004, 05:50 PM
I'm really interested in the Patriot 9 with a hard chrome slide now. I may just have to pick one up just to tell you all whether or not it blew up in my face and if the trigger is any good... :D

Badger Arms
February 20, 2004, 06:16 PM
Why? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!???!!?! There is a reason why they copied the KelTec, because KT is the way to go. Why spend the same money on a lesser product that you can't accessorize and whos parent company MIGHT stay in business? Don't do it. Stay away from the lemons!

WonderNine
February 20, 2004, 06:23 PM
The Patriot 9 is half the price of a P-11.

What of Kel-Tecs did they copy? I must have missed something in this thread...

Tropical Z
February 20, 2004, 06:30 PM
I know SOG has the patriot .45acp but other than that what wholesalers are selling the Cobra line?

southernford
April 29, 2005, 08:39 PM
Hey Guy's,

I ordered one of the Cobra 9's for $189.00 off of Gunbroker.com. It should be in any day now.

The slides are supposed to be stainless steel, as are all other parts except the polymer grip frame. It's supposed to be designed by some respected Israeli dude.

I own the Kimbers, Glocks, and Kahrs, but wanted to check one out for the price. I'll post how it runs and shoots out of the box, and after I do some modifications, slide melt, fluff & buff, ect.

We'll see if it really is a decent gun for a good price, as they advertise. It certainly would be nice to have something like that, that is a little more heavy duty than the Keltecs (which I have also owned).

Maybe when I open it up it will be like an Orio, w/ goody on the inside.

DDM
December 26, 2007, 02:19 AM
Anyone have any new opinions of this gun? I just read a good report about them in Combat handguns.

DakotaSig
December 26, 2007, 06:55 PM
Gunblast just did a report too:
http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell_CobraPatriot.htm

ulflyer
December 26, 2007, 07:24 PM
I've had a Patriot 45 for about a month or so and its gonna
have to make a trip back to the factory if they will foot the shipping bill. Reason being, is that it won't ignite a lot of WWB fmj without pulling the trigger 2 or 3 times. Ocassionally not at all. I put the same unfired bullets in my 1911 and they fired. Factory email said they use only Federal ammo for testing and suggested I use only that. Couldn't find the ammo locally so I got some Fed primers and loaded up a 100 rounds. Most of these fired on the first pull; only a few did not.
This leaves me unsatisified with its performance and its certainly not something I would carry. I should note that I had on hand a half doz Hornady HP's and each fed and fired beautifully despite the manual saying it doesnt' handle HP's well. The WWB factory ammo above is what I bought after getting similar poor results with my reloads with Winchester primers.

DDM
December 26, 2007, 08:58 PM
So they only recommend FMJ Ball ammo?Thats a real interesting load to have to carry for protection.

pisankihead
December 27, 2007, 10:37 PM
The Cobra Patriot is utter crap, which is why I sold mine. Does the assembly pin sliding out of a pistol nearly every time you rack the slide qualify a pistol as crap? I say that it does. The factory was nice about it but never really fixed it. I sold mine to some sucker on gunbroker or auctionarms after its last trip to the factory.

dannyabear
February 5, 2008, 10:51 PM
I just got one today, don't feel like typing report again, so if you're interested, it's on defensivecarry.com forum

jaime
December 19, 2010, 01:24 AM
I purchased a Cobra Patriot 45 ACP about 3 months ago thinking this would be a nice concealed pistol to own as it was small and sexy for a 45. I was psyched as this was going to be a good addition to my collection of guns.

Day 1 at the range, I painfully went throug 2 boxes of 45 ammo. Every other round was a jam or a mis-retraction. The pistol struggled to let the bullets into the chamber and it equally struggled t get them out of the way once they were fired. In addition to the inability to handle ammo, the trigger on this thing was a bear. I had a blister on my trigger finger by the end of this experience. I have to say that I was seriously disappointed on that first day. I could have walked by the garbage can and simply dropped the darned thing in. What a waste of my money is what I was thinking.

After recomposing myself, I took the damned thing home and cleaned + oiled. I was still pissed off, but I figured that maybe it had not been oiled out of the factory. At this point, I am making up excuses for my poor decision to purchase this pile of crap. Never-the-less, I went through the exercise not expecting to get much out of it.

Day 2 at the range, once again, it was a repeat experience from Day 1. I was seriously pissed, but still went through 2 boxes of ammo. I was seriously mad. I went back to the place where I bought this pile and told them about the crazy jamming problems. They told me that I had to break the gun in. This really seemed odd to me as I have not had to do much of this, maybe 3-4 rounds with my Springfield, my Sig and my 1911. My rifles have gone through a couple of round break-in, not boxes of break-in. In addition to breaking the gun in, they also recommended keeping the magazine loaded as that somehow would help to eliminate this problem. I poceeded to keep the mag loaded for a few weeks and then went out again.

Day 3 at the range was a repeat of Day 1 and Day 2. This thing is a total piece of crap I was thinking. Returning the damned thing was not an option as they do not do returns on fired guns. So, now I'm stuck with a pile. So, time for me to start getting a little more creative. I went out to the gun store and bought a couple of 1911 magazines of different brands.

Day 4 at the range with new mags and cleaned gun, loaded magazines, etc. was a repeat of Day 1, 2 and 3. What a pile of crap. At this point, I've spent money destroying ammo, on new mags and wasting my time. I'm seriously pissed. So, I'm thinking, "what's next?".

I sent an e-mail to Cobra through their website, which originally had problems even accepting it's own communication system. I described the problems that I was having and included a name, number, email address and a request for what to do next. Guess what my answer was? Nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing. Unresponsive, just like their piece of crap gun.

So, next I proceeded to call the contact number to see what was up? I could never get through to a real person. Again, non-responsive, just like that piece of crap that I wasted my money on.

You might be saying, "there's a paper in the box that has an address of where to send the gun back to". Yes there is, but based on them not answering emails or phone calls, I doubt they would be any more responsive simply sending the gun back for Warranty repair.

My experience with the Cobra product that I have purchased has left me one thing and only one thing. I am out of my hard-earned money and time and I am left with a freaking paper weight. I also wrote to the magazine that did 2 articles on reviewing of this gun, I don't know what they were shooting or how many boxes they went through, but they must have bought another gun. The Cobra Patriot has proved over and over again to be a piece of crap. I believe one of the articles was titled, "Quality can be had at a low price" or some crap like that. No, Cobra produces crap and I will never buy from them again. I will send this pile back for repairs, but expect nothing to happen.

elpatosmith@gmail.com

IBEWBULL
December 19, 2010, 01:43 AM
I have been there and then some over the years.
1. Jennings .22 was a keyholers dream. It made noise and did not jam though.
2. Keltek P11 Horrible trigger pull leading to lousy hit possibility at 15 yards.
3. Not an off brand or cheap DETONICS Pocket 9 bad design blowback 9mm
bad trigger, heavy, bad sights and unbelieveable recoil.

For thse on a limited budget look at police trade in surplus or other used guns.
The 9x18 Pa63 and Makarovs have been useable. Although the Polish one had a terrible trigger.
Gun Test seemed to have some stright evaluations in their magazine.
Sorry you got a lemmon, but glad you found out before an emergency.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

I noticed there were zero bids on any of the cobras here.

jaime
December 20, 2010, 01:35 AM
Can you imagine having to protect yourself with this pile? I can see it already:

Bad Guy - "Give me your money!"

Me - "Wait, I gotta un-jam my Cobra!"

Bad Guy - "Boom!"

Me - "I told you not to shoot me yet dammit, I'm un-jamming the Cobra!"

Bad Guy - "Boom!"

Me - DEAD

jaime
December 20, 2010, 01:40 AM
So, I've most recently found that you can get this pile of crap to fire a little more consistently by putting a ton of oil on the load ramp at the entrance to the barrel. It still has serious issues, but if you have already stepped in this crap, you may as well be able to use it for target shooting. Definitely not a self-defense type gun. You'd be left looking silly as you tried to un-jam the damned thing and got your arse shot.

franco45
December 20, 2010, 09:07 AM
I bought a Cobra Patriot 45 last May. I finally sent it back to Cobra in August. They had it for 3 and1/2 months. They gave me a song and dance about needing a new slide and them not having anyone to make the new slides. They finally sent me a Shadow 38 special to replace the Patriot. Not a Smith and Wesson but goes bang every time.

DasFriek
December 20, 2010, 09:15 AM
Well since this old thread isnt going away i may as well add my opinion.
I know 2 years ago while looking at my first guns after being away from pistols for 20 years i actually read many good reviews of the Cobra 9mm and .45

Very glad i didn't get tempted by one, I guess a 9mm wouldn't be bad if you needed a range gun and know enough on how to make the gun run right yourself.
Visually the gun is no beauty queen, But its not Hi-Point ugly either.

But as in most cases with guns and many other things, You get what you pay for.

jaime
December 21, 2010, 08:22 PM
I'm gonna have to take back my last comment about the massive amounts of oil making this POS work. Went back again yesterday with the same type of setup (massive amounts of oil - nearly dripping) and as usual, it was very consistent at being inconsistent and unreliable. I damaged more ammo than what I actually shot. It was yet, another day of misery with the Cobra Patriot 45 ACP (I think this is short for A Pile of Crap).

Upon reading the story of the guy who sent it back to the factory and got the run-around, I might think again about that. I guess I can modify it myself, then those bastards will say that it's been modified. What a pile of crap.

I guess the thing that bugs me the most about this is the fact that magazines with semi-reliable reputations wrote good things about this POS. These were good reviews, what gun were they reviewing and what gun was it that they shot?

I think that these magazines need to list what kind of ammo was used for their testing, how many rounds of each type and what special preparations were made. If they fire the thing 2-3Xs, they may not run into problems, but if they fire several boxes one right after the other, they may see problems. I guess I am not very trusting of these tests or reviews anymore as I don't see how they came to their conclusions statistically.

I did send my review of this POS to the guy that wrote that quality could be had at a low price, but never got a response.

ulflyer
December 22, 2010, 07:33 AM
Jaime, hate to say it, but you've got a loser that will never be reliable. I did all sorts of polishing, respringing of the striker, etc, all to no avail, and this was several years ago when they first came out. Biggest prob, as best I can remember, was failure to ignite. Stronger striker spring, new striker(firing pin), etc, didn't make any diff. Obviously, they've still not got their act togather and aught to stop selling crap like that.

franco45
December 22, 2010, 04:07 PM
Jaime, after they gave me the runaround for a while they did offer me my choice of any gun they make. As I said I chose the 38 special revolver. I also read on another forum about a guy who chose the 9mm. So it seems they will not leave you completely hanging out to dry. The revolver is really a nice looking snubbie and I have put 200 rounds through it without any problems. At least I got something that works out of the deal. In the meantime I bought a Kahr CW45 for just over $400 that is a real nice weapon.

89cr500
January 27, 2011, 06:09 PM
the gun you guys might be thinking the 9mm looks like is the sccy or skyy 9mm or thats what it seems to look like to me just a little more like the kel tec p11 just thought id add that in

89cr500
January 27, 2011, 06:10 PM
well some one was trying to think of a gun name for what it looks like i cant find who it was

trekgod3
January 27, 2011, 08:11 PM
I had a patriot 45 for a few years. I recently sold it and bought a G21 and G30. The patriot is a nice, small, light gun. The problem is the trigger. DAO and 12+ pounds. Not fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cobra Patriot .45 ACP Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!