Why not many Taurus pistols for sale?

PDA

glenns
May 6, 2012, 05:38 PM
I follow our local gun trader website closely (OK - daily). Lot of glocks, springfields, sigs, etc. for sale. With all the Taurus bashing why are there not more used Taurus pistols for sale? (would love to buy a used Taurus 1911)

If you enjoyed reading about "Why not many Taurus pistols for sale?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steel185
May 6, 2012, 06:04 PM
I can say I'm a big fan of the Taurus PT1911. My brother has one and i thought it was a "good" gun, until i was able to shoot my uncle's Wilson combat 1911 in one hand and the PT1911 in the other. I was shocked to not be able to feel a difference when they were fired. The feel of the trigger, recoil, solidness, the entire thing was like i was shooting copies of each other. I thought it was a nice compliment for the PT1911, since it seemed on par with a gun that costs 3 times more.

After that, my guess would be the reason they are hard to find is they are "under-rated" and people actually like them, hince less on the "market".

Good luck, its a great gun in my opinion. I would like to get one too, and i already have a Kimber gold match.

bds
May 6, 2012, 06:16 PM
I think some people buy pistols based on hype and have very high expectations when they first range test the pistols. When the performance of pistols don't live up to the anticipations, they often end up as used guns for sale.

I see a lot of "higher end" pistols come on the used gun counter at the range and they have very little wear on them. When I inquire, the range staff often say, "Yeah, the seller just bought the pistol but didn't like the way it shot".

Typically, they are priced $100-$150 below new pistols and when $350-$400 Taurus pistols get marked down to $250-$300, they move a lot faster. Also, I think the reviews/sentiment for Taurus have improved in recent years.

JDGray
May 6, 2012, 06:29 PM
A used Taurus is simply not fit for resale!!:D

Think about it though, what could you buy with the procedes? They are already one of the most affordable guns, take some off for being used, not much left to buy another.... So people just keep them:)

bds
May 6, 2012, 06:38 PM
Taurus' "unlimited" life-time warranty applies regardless whether you are the original owner or not. Perhaps that's helping move used pistols? (If anything goes wrong with the used gun, they can send it to Taurus for repair. ;)) - http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy.cfm
The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy™ is just that. The lifetime of the gun...not the buyer. This is the first warranty of its type in the industry. No other manufacturer has the confidence to extend this kind of offer. Except us. We know how good our guns are, and we are not afraid to stand behind them...for a lifetime.

Simply put, our unprecedented repair policy stands firmly behind every firearm imported or manufactured by Taurus International. The full terms are we will repair your Taurus firearm FREE OF CHARGE for the lifetime of the firearm

shootniron
May 6, 2012, 06:41 PM
A used Taurus is simply not fit for resale!!

Proud you said it and I didn't have to...but it is the truth.IMO

bikerdoc
May 6, 2012, 08:20 PM
Got 3 Tauri, all work fine, sold a Ruger last month, Mint 1972 service six got it from a collector and could not bring mysellf to shoot it or carry it, all my guns are users.

Walking Dead
May 6, 2012, 08:40 PM
Good question but I have never had any interest in Taurus autos. The 809 seems appealing but why take the chance on Taurus quality when you can buy so many good guns for very close to the same price.

ritepath
May 6, 2012, 09:25 PM
I don't want to rip anyone off by selling my 2yo pt145 mill pro.

glenns
May 6, 2012, 11:35 PM
You think people bash Taurus (they still do) but don't want to admit they own one and they are really reliable?

tryshoot
May 7, 2012, 05:27 AM
I have owned many Taurus guns. Never had any problems. Miss some, still have some. Want more!

JDGray
May 7, 2012, 06:20 AM
My first comment was a joke, hence the:D, but the second part is still true.... They sell butt ugly semi autos with ribbed grips that I dont like, their revolvers are ok but prefer Ruger. They dont last long on the market because they're so inexpensive new and really cheap used, or people like them sooooo much, they never sell:)

Nushif
May 7, 2012, 06:25 AM
I don't want to rip anyone off by selling my 2yo pt145 mill pro.

I've been actually looking for one of those.

Jssj1
May 7, 2012, 06:55 AM
I run a 20 year old pt92 9mm in USPSA matches. I hear all the time that I should get a new gun, but other than new springs a few years ago, she has run beautiful through many thousands of rounds. Aint gonna sell her anytime soon.

premier1
May 7, 2012, 03:09 PM
I think that the one post was right because Taurus are so very affordable people tend to keep them. I personally own two of them a PT 145 PRO and an 85s. They both work fine both a very accurate and then did'nt cost a lot. So why would I sell or trade them? I think that this is the sentiment among Taurus owners.

docsleepy
May 7, 2012, 03:25 PM
Own a pt99 and a tcp. Both are great guns that fulfill their purpose. I can't speak to any other models.

Doug S
May 7, 2012, 05:09 PM
As with anything, blanket statements by an OP, based on their limited perspective, don't really count for much. It most likely depends on where you are and on timing. My local gun store has a nice variety of many different brands of firearms, including Taurus, S&W, and Ruger (to name but a few).

gamestalker
May 7, 2012, 05:29 PM
I own a good stash of Taurus AL's and revolvers and have never had any complaints about the reliability or function. And being a reloader, I put a bunch of full house loads through all of them. They aren't Springfield or S&W quality, but they also don't cost an arm and a leg. And the last time I checked, a bullet from a Taurus, is just as deadly as one from a Springfield. Bling isn't my thing!

GS

breacher
May 7, 2012, 05:31 PM
My buddy carries a Taurus 1911 45acp on duty (LE) everyday. He loves it.

Late last summer I bought a Taurus PT740 Slim on impulse at a LGS. It came out of the box with an amazing trigger and is very accurate for such a small pistol.
I took it to the NRA PPC Nationals to shoot in the off duty match. (3.5 inch barrel or less) I caught a few snickers during the pre-match inspection- "You're gonna shoot that"? Most of these guys are pretty serious shooting custom baby 1911 type pistols that cost big bucks. Well I took 3rd place with the Slim and I actually do carry it off duty and as a back-up on duty unlike most of the custom guns used by the competition. My score was only a few points less than what I shot with my full size tricked out competition Glock in the duty pistol match.

You won't ever see my Taurus for sale.

skt239
May 7, 2012, 10:55 PM
I see new and used Tauri for sale all over the place. The comment about the resale value is true. Take a Taurus to your local LGS and see what they offer you. You'll probably be walking out with your pistol.

larryh1108
May 8, 2012, 12:16 AM
What's not to love? Like others have said, if you take the used value, you don't get much for it so it's not worth selling. Mine is perfect and I'd have no desire to sell it for $250. What could I get for that $250 that does what this does?

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/larryh1108/Taurus/PT145angle.jpg

They sell butt ugly semi autos with ribbed grips that I dont like,

I guess I'm missing something...

aHFo3
May 8, 2012, 01:55 PM
If you publicly advertise that you're selling a Taurus, it requires that you also publicly announce that you purchased a Taurus and many people aren't willing to do that. :D

Skribs
May 8, 2012, 02:15 PM
I think the only Tauri I've seen at the local shops have been the Judge.

dsb1829
May 8, 2012, 02:24 PM
It's because they have little resale value. Might as well hang onto it or gift it.

I sold off my PT845 because it wasn't woth spending $100 onsights to fix a $350 gun. Even in new condition without a scratch I couldn't pull more than $250 back out of it.

cuba
May 9, 2012, 01:06 AM
Because people are completely satisfied with them, if not you would be seeing more in the used market.
SHHHHh quite they are the best kept secret.:neener: :neener:

StrikeFire83
May 9, 2012, 01:15 AM
I just don't understand what the point of Taurus is. Rugers are at almost the exact same price point, they're generally more reliable with significantly better customer service, and American made to boot.

cuba
May 9, 2012, 03:15 AM
I just don't understand what the point of Taurus is. Rugers are at almost the exact same price point, they're generally more reliable with significantly better customer service, and American made to boot.
Do you own either one or have made a side by side comparison on their reliability to be able to make such a statement.

TennJed
May 9, 2012, 03:33 AM
As far as price goes, in my area the LCP is over 33% more than the TCP. The LC9 is over 33% higher than the 709. The LCR is over 33% higher than the poly protectors. The Redhawks are more than 33% higher than the Raging Bulls. The sp101 is over 33% higher than a comaprable Taurus snubbie.

You can buy at least 3 taurus for the price of 2 comparable rugers. That is appealing to many people.

They also have several models that are different from each other.

StrikeFire83
May 9, 2012, 03:21 PM
Never owned a Taurus, but I've shot several Taurii. My best friend's father owned a 24/7 in 9mm that we used to take out to the range with our other guns. Terrible trigger (in my opinion) but the gun always worked.

My "cousin in law" (my cousin's husband) had a PT1911 what was an absolute piece of garbage. Couldn't get through a full mag without a litany of problems. He ended up getting rid of it.

Somebody at our gun club had a Taurus revolver in .357 that had terrible timing issues. (I don't remember the model #)

Hey, if y'all like Taurus pistols and they work for you, awesome. I Just don't mind paying around $400-$500 for a handgun that is worlds better (CZ's and Glocks).

contender
May 9, 2012, 03:56 PM
supply and demand i would guess...

I have no idea where Taurus ranks in over-all sales in the U.S. or how long they have been agressively marketing in the USA.

As for law enforcement trade-ins.....there ain't any that i am aware of because Taurus has won no major contracts (or minor) that i am aware of in the USA.

Taurus...right or wrong...over the decades still has a perceived reputation of spotty quality, QC issues, and poor customer service. and this image will continue to persist until another generation or two of gun owners pass on to the happy hunting grounds along with their negative bias.........including me... who has had several problems with tauri with the lone exception of the PT92 which i highly respect from experience.

el Godfather
May 9, 2012, 04:13 PM
Two reasons:
I would not buy a new Taurus.
I would NEVER buy a used Taurus. Buying a substandard product used for self defense is just not acceptable. No buyers will gradually deminish the supply. Rule of Economics.

Inebriated
May 9, 2012, 05:17 PM
Because those who bash Taurus, will never own one.

Those who aren't gun snobs, will own them and be happy.

I'll be the fist to admit, I'm somewhat of a gun snob.

The_Armed_Therapist
May 9, 2012, 05:26 PM
I have 2 Taurus... A 445 .44spl revolver and a 24/7 Pro 9mm (LS). They are both fantastic! To me, a revolver is a revolver and this was is certainly in that mold. Never a single issue of any kind... Packs a powerful punch, and it's built for carry.

The 9mm is the most accurate pistol I've ever shot. I'll never forget when, from about 20 yards, I shot a plastic 16.9oz water bottle 34x in a row. I've never had that kind of accuracy with a handgun before and I've been shooting for 20 years. I had a couple FTEs in the first hundred rounds fired but it has been flawless since. I paid $300 for the 9mm and $229 for the 445, both brand new.

Frankly, I find a lot of the Taurus dissing to be ignorant. Many are joking around, which is one thing, but in general it just makes them look like uninformed. HAHA

TimboKhan
May 9, 2012, 11:56 PM
Alrighty. I am going to close this thread, mainly because it's already hinting at becoming another endless thread of repeated points about Taurus cs/value/gunshop return rates/mine shot 4000 rounds trouble free/my slide cracked immediately etc... Fact is, I have participated in these threads, even somewhat recently, and they always boil down to arguments as opposed to discussion on both sides of the coin.

Also, I slightly edited the post above me, and it's hard to note that from my phone. Questions about that, pm me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If you enjoyed reading about "Why not many Taurus pistols for sale?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!