Anyone have a Boberg 9mm?

PDA

Rembrandt
May 6, 2012, 07:45 PM
I have one on order, just wondered if anyone has gotten theirs yet and how you like it?

http://api.ning.com/files/ANiUQEA2CMR17EyjSkwd182oKfGxvpOGHBiMdFTqgLvDZj1rTU99vRgb6OOml3MSRNgnSDnnrUENC81ih6aCZIuTdJK8PtT0/ba0000000_bplainrighttwotone1flat.jpg?width=139&height=115

Here's a link to their website if you've not heard of them.....

http://www.bobergarms.com/

http://www.bobergarms.com/video/boberg-xr9-patentpending-feed-1

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have a Boberg 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LightningMan
May 6, 2012, 07:49 PM
yes, just check over on the Sig forum, they have a sticky on that pistol.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9060021962/p/6
LM

Bubba613
May 6, 2012, 08:17 PM
It's hideous. It's like a Magnum Research .380 copulated with a Taurus.

LightningMan
May 6, 2012, 09:19 PM
BTW, I've ordered one also, but that was this past Feb I believe, and I think it was about an 8 month wait. So I'm waiting too. LM

ApacheCoTodd
May 6, 2012, 11:30 PM
Bullpup comes to CCW;)

It looks like a very well made pistol by their photos. I applaud their cleverness and hope it works well long term.

bannockburn
May 7, 2012, 10:13 AM
While it's an innovative design and appears to be very well made, given its limited production and initial price, I think I would have a definite wait and see attitude towards it.

PX15
May 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
Bubba,

Respectfully I've never seen a firearm designed in the "Bullput" style that wasn't uglier than Hillary with makeup.

But, for me in a firearm used primarily for self defense I worry a whole lot more about how it performs than how it "looks"..

Apparently, from what I've read from those who actually have the Boberg XR9-S it seems the little min-subcompact 9MM pistol performs quite well.

Truthfully for a firearm that will spend 99% of it's carry life in a holster of one type or another, how it "looks" really isn't that big of a deal, to me.

No offense to you Sir, just making conversation.

Plus I have to fess up I'm a big Boberg XR9-S fan, and in fact should be getting mine in a few weeks. I have on the pre-order list since last November, and I'm really looking forward to getting it.

And Mr. bannock, normally I'm with you on the "wait and see" deal with any new firearm, but I have a consideration that prevent that for this particular firearm.

I'm almost 70 years old, and I don't think I have the "time" to wait for thousands and thousands to be made before I make the leap.. Arne only makes 60-80 pistols per month (to my understanding, those numbers could well have increased), and there are roughly 1000 names on the pre-order list NOW with more being added daily.

I've been a "beta tester" (unintentionally) for several guns over the past decades, so if the XR9-S has a bug or two yet unfound, they will be fixed under warranty, so that's just not a big deal for me.

The only thing I use my self defense firearm choice for is precisely that, self defense. Therefore I only shoot from self defense distance, which for me is 7 yards or less. IF my new Boberg XR9-S will perform at that distance that's all I ask of it. I need reasonable accuracy, and absolute reliability.. For what I've read from those who have tested the new XR9-S and review them, the pistols are very, very accurate, and using "approved" ammunition extremely reliable.

Apparently recoil is surprising light, and less recoil offers the opportunity for better accuracy.

But, everything I've said is just what I've seen (utube videos), or read, and shortly I'll probably have an opportunity to test and review my very own Boberg XR9-S.

I would add one thing.

To anyone who "might" have an interest in the Boberg XR9-S in the future, I'd suggest you get your name on the pre-order list NOW. There is no deposit required, no obligation to buy when your name is called, and if you put your name on the list today it would be a long, long time before it reached the top.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Billy Shears
May 7, 2012, 11:14 AM
I was one of those people who wanted to buy Mr. Boberg's original design for the gun, which was a model with a full length (4.5in) barrel. His big selling point, at the time he announced it, was that it was a pistol with the external dimensions of a compact 9mm, but the barrel length of a full size handgun, and consequently, higher velocity and all the advantages thereof. Then someone proposed a gun with the barrel length of a compact 9mm as well, which, with this gun, made the overall length really short, and Boberg conducted a poll, and a majority of people said that was what they wanted.

I was not one of them, and was very disappointed at this. It seems to me you're getting a gun that is little, if any more concealable than the original design would have been, and giving up this configuration's major advantage: higher velocity from a compact gun. Moreover, Boberg had to go back to the drawing board and come up with a different kind of recoil spring to work with the short barrel, further delaying things.

Given the high price, I am only going to be able to own one of these, and I am holding out for the original, full-length barrel version. I suspect, however, that the gun may well go out of production before it ever gets made. Boberg is talking about raising the price a bit in order to reduce waiting times, and I am wondering if he hasn't got a situation going rather like that of the original AMT Automag: a really nice gun, sold at too low a price to cover its high production costs, resulting in the unprofitability and eventual demise of the company that produced it. I hope this is not the case, but I'll have to wait and see.

mesinge2
May 7, 2012, 11:47 AM
It looks quite small for a 9mm

PabloJ
May 7, 2012, 12:09 PM
It looks quite small for a 9mm
You should take a look at DB9.

PabloJ
May 7, 2012, 12:14 PM
I was one of those people who wanted to buy Mr. Boberg's original design for the gun, which was a model with a full length (4.5in) barrel. His big selling point, at the time he announced it, was that it was a pistol with the external dimensions of a compact 9mm, but the barrel length of a full size handgun, and consequently, higher velocity and all the advantages thereof. Then someone proposed a gun with the barrel length of a compact 9mm as well, which, with this gun, made the overall length really short, and Boberg conducted a poll, and a majority of people said that was what they wanted.

I was not one of them, and was very disappointed at this. It seems to me you're getting a gun that is little, if any more concealable than the original design would have been, and giving up this configuration's major advantage: higher velocity from a compact gun. Moreover, Boberg had to go back to the drawing board and come up with a different kind of recoil spring to work with the short barrel, further delaying things.

Given the high price, I am only going to be able to own one of these, and I am holding out for the original, full-length barrel version. I suspect, however, that the gun may well go out of production before it ever gets made. Boberg is talking about raising the price a bit in order to reduce waiting times, and I am wondering if he hasn't got a situation going rather like that of the original AMT Automag: a really nice gun, sold at too low a price to cover its high production costs, resulting in the unprofitability and eventual demise of the company that produced it. I hope this is not the case, but I'll have to wait and see.
The gun is not ugly and the price isn't very high considering complexity of it's design. I will not rely on "Rubik's Cube" to shave my hide.

Billy Shears
May 7, 2012, 12:24 PM
The gun is not ugly and the price isn't very high considering complexity of it's design. I will not rely on "Rubik's Cube" to shave my hide.
I'm not sure what you're point is; you seem to be commenting on points I never even made. I never said I thought the gun was ugly. The gun's price might be quite commensurate with its complexity, but so what? At a thousand bucks a throw, it's rather more expensive than most other handguns. (And I think the price reflects small production, rather than mechanical complexity -- the Boberg doesn't have more moving parts than many other guns that cost far less.) And I'm not even sure what you're trying to say with your last sentence.

PX15
May 7, 2012, 12:24 PM
Billy,

Just making conversation, so no offense intended to you.

Amazing how differently a person can see such things as the "full length" XR9-S vs the XR9-S.

For me personally I would have absolutely zero interest in the standard sized Boberg pistol because I'm not a large person and the "smaller" the better in a carry weapon for me.

I would be willing to say that comparing the large 3lb+ AutoMag (in any incarnation) to the tiny 17.5oz XR9-S is a stretch.

I believe, and it's just personal opinion, that there is a much, much greater market for a relatively tiny 9MM pistol that can easily be carried concealed and used for self defense than the larger, much heavier 357/44 cal AutoMag.

I think there is a possibility that the Boberg XR9-S could well become the 9MM equivalent to Larry Seecamps LWS32's and LWS380's.

Or, it's entirely possible that Arne will sell directly to customers for a time, until he gets a backlog of guns, then sell thru a limited number of gun dealers, such as Larry does.

Larry Seecamp has secured a "nitch" of the concealed carry business by producing a very high quality, very tiny pistol for decades, and apparently he has no desire for "high volume" in the manner of say, Beretta, Glock, or Ruger. Larry has a family business, it apparently provides sufficiently for him, and I'm thinking Arne Boberg might follow in his footsteps, and manner of operation.

All I can judge by is the length of the pre-order line at present (in excess of a thousand), and this is BEFORE the XR9-S starts showing up in the various firearm magazines.

I believe once the XR9-S is tested and reviewed positively in the various gun magazines interest will just continue to rise and more sales will be the result.

In today's economy, NO ONE can tell with certainty what "will" succeed and what "will" fail, but from all I read interest in firearms in general is at an all time high, and that is not expected to decline in the near future..

I believe Boberg Arms and the XR9-S will be a success. I cannot say if that "success" will be measured in terms of private sales thru the internet (as is now the policy), or if interest is such that he expands thru a line of dealers, but Arne is producing a high quality, very tiny 9MM pistol, and I don't think there will EVER come a time when those are not desirable.

The price of the Boberg is high, no doubt.. But so is the Rohrbaugh, and Kimber Solo among others, and I don't see either of them going out of business for lack of sales.

There are many, many excellent sub-compact 9MM pistols available on the market (I have several) at a much cheaper price than the XR9-S.. But, as my friends wife told him just prior to asking for a divorce, "the heart wants what the heart wants", and the thousand names on the pre-order list, and that list is growing daily tells me there are enough gun buyers for the XR9-S to keep Arne off the food stamp rolls indefinitely.

Again, I'm old, opinionated, and I ramble, so please, no offense to you intended.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S.

IF my XR9-S turns out to be less than expected, which I doubt will be the case, I have two dozen other pistols, so I won't be undergunned.. But I WANT the Boberg XR9-S to be a winner, and from all I have seen so far, it IS a winner, and will continue to be one.

kokapelli
May 7, 2012, 12:27 PM
You should take a look at DB9.
Anyone thinking of the DB9 should take a look at this http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=655444 thread on the DB9.

mesinge2
May 7, 2012, 12:34 PM
Check out how this mag works!

Boberg XR9 Extended (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSva89jbNM#ws)

kokapelli
May 7, 2012, 12:37 PM
Check out how this mag works!

Boberg XR9 Extended (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSva89jbNM#ws)
That method of extraction has me worried and it would have to have a very good track record before I would consider it.

Billy Shears
May 7, 2012, 12:40 PM
Billy,

Just making conversation, so no offense intended to you.

Amazing how differently a person can see such things as the "full length" XR9-S vs the XR9-S.

For me personally I would have absolutely zero interest in the standard sized Boberg pistol because I'm not a large person and the "smaller" the better in a carry weapon for me.
On a belt holster, or IWB (which is how I carry), the extra inch or so of barrel and slide sticking out in front of the leading edge of the trigger guard wouldn't be one whit less concealable. I can't think it would be any different, even for a slightly built individual. I'd rather have the extra velocity, since it comes at zero cost to me in concealability. Perhaps the shorty would be better for pocket carry, and that's what you are thinking of, but I don't pocket carry, so I'd rather have the full length barrel.

I would be willing to say that comparing the AutoMag (in any incarnation) to the XR9-S is a stretch.
If you're talking about guns, yes. If you're talking about business models, not even remotely. I'm talking about business models. In both cases you have a high quality, small production gun, aimed at a limited market (totally different markets, true, but that's irrelevant to the discussion of business model). The trick is offering it at a price high enough to cover your production costs, but low enough that people are still willing to pay it. You have to do this no matter what kind of gun you are selling, and if you can't, you go out of business.

I believe, and it's just personal opinion, that there is a much, much greater market for a relatively tiny 9MM pistol that can easily be carried concealed and used for self defense than the larger AutoMag.
See above. The market may be a bit larger than the one for the Automag, but the principle is exactly the same. (And the $1000 price tag will price the Boberg out of most of that market, leaving it restricted to a smaller segment of the market only, where customers are willing to pay the extra cost of the cheaper, more conventional designs out there like the Kahr, Ruger SR9, et al..)

I think there is a possibility that the Boberg XR9-S could well become the 9MM equivalent to Larry Seecamps LWS32's and LWS380's.

Or, it's entirely possible that Arne will sell directly to customers for a time, until he gets a backlog of guns, then sell thru a limited number of gun dealers, such as Larry does.

Larry Seecamp has secured a "nitch" of the concealed carry business by producing a very high quality, very tiny pistol for decades, and apparently he has no desire for "high volume" in the manner of say, Beretta, Glock, or Ruger. Larry has a family business, it apparently provides sufficiently for him, and I'm thinking Arne Boberg might follow in his footsteps, and manner of operation.
I hope he does successfully find his niche. I want a Boberg (the full sized one), and I am willing to pay the grand for it if it proves to be a reliable gun. I'm also pleased to see a firearms designer being genuinely innovative, rather than just copying a 1911 or a Glock, like so many others. But I suspect that Boberg would actually want to increase production as much as he possibly can. Higher production generally means economy of scale works in your favor, and you can lower the price. As long as he can do that and maintain quality, he can make more money, and as I said, I suspect he actually wants that a lot.

All I can judge by is the length of the pre-order line at present (in excess of a thousand), and this is BEFORE the XR9-S starts showing up in the various firearm magazines.

I believe once the XR9-S is tested and reviewed positively in the various gun magazines interest will just continue to rise and more sales will be the result.
I hope it does.

In today's economy, NO ONE can tell with certainty what "will" succeed and what "will" fail, but from all I read interest in firearms in general is at an all time high, and that is not expected to decline in the near future..

I believe Boberg Arms and the XR9-S will be a success. I cannot say if that "success" will be measured in terms of private sales thru the internet (as is now the policy), or if interest is such that he expands thru a line of dealers, but Arne is producing a high quality, very tiny 9MM pistol, and I don't think there will EVER come a time when those are not desirable.
You're probably right, but desirability is only part of the equation. As I said, you have to offer it at a price that will both cover your production costs, and yet not be high enough to make customers take their cash elsewhere. Lots of gun companies failed through the years because they didn't balance that equation quite right.

The price of the Boberg is high, no doubt.. But so is the Rohrbaugh, and Kimber Solo among others, and I don't see either of them going out of business for lack of sales.

There are many, many excellent sub-compact 9MM pistols available on the market (I have several) at a much cheaper price than the XR9-S.. But, as my friends wife told him just prior to asking for a divorce, "the heart wants what the heart wants", and the thousand names on the pre-order list, and that list is growing daily tells me there are enough gun buyers for the XR9-S to keep Arne off the food stamp rolls indefinitely.

Again, I'm old, opinionated, and I ramble, so please, no offense to you intended.

Best Wishes,

Jesse
None taken. But you seem to be under the impression that I am sort of rooting for the company's failure, when that is the farthest thing from the truth. I hope very much it succeeds. I'm simply waiting for the company to offer the product I want, and hoping it lasts long enough to do it.

Billy Shears
May 7, 2012, 12:42 PM
That method of extraction has me worried and it would have to have a very good track record before I would consider it.
Good thing it does. Most semiauto shotguns, and belt fed machine guns work that way. It's merely seldom been used for pistols before. But there's absolutely no reason why it need be less reliable than the more conventional designs out there.

mesinge2
May 7, 2012, 12:48 PM
I found this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myr0R9XncAg&feature=related

I am starting to want one of these just for the novelty of it!

PX15
May 7, 2012, 01:19 PM
Billy,

I notice the plastic case the Boberg XR9-S comes in has the foam cut for the "full length" XR9-S, so I'm guessing as soon as Arne gets his ducks in a row the standard length XR9 will show up.:D

Jesse

Mike OTDP
May 7, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'm with Billy. Not much interest in the shorty version, but sign me up for the full-sized (which is still pretty small) gun.

wild cat mccane
May 7, 2012, 04:49 PM
"ugly as Hillary"

Hopefully it the gun will do its job for full term of ownership unlike Palin?

:rolleyes:

armoredman
May 7, 2012, 05:07 PM
PX -15, may you have many years of shooting sports left to you, sir.

I wouldn't mind trying one, but I won't pay $1000 for a handgun unless it's a SiG P210, and probably not then, either. Maybe someday down the road one will come available to try.

wild cat mccane
May 7, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hopefully the innovation will strike other manufactures fancy for cheaper.

That a barrel only makes up half the slide is an obvious problem in today's guns.

PX15
May 7, 2012, 05:28 PM
armoredman:

Thank you, nice sentiment... I'll have my "three score and ten" in the bucket if I don't kick off before Dec 3rd. :what:

But, for whatever time I still have on the rock, I have more than enough firearms to keep me busy..

Sig P210? Wonderful weapon, hope you will be able to get one some day. I've had a couple of Sigs over the years (P220/P239), both were excellent.

As to the price of admission for the new Boberg XR9-S?

Well, it's expensive, no doubt. But as I said earlier "the heart wants what the heart wants", and at this moment, my heart is whispering to me: "Boberg".. LOL.

I have several nice 9MM pistols already, so it's not like I "need" another one. My only excuse is that I'm a gun nut, and it seems immediately after I buy my new "best" one, I'll be looking around pretty shortly for the "next" best one.. I'm addicted, no doubt.:banghead:

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Rembrandt
May 7, 2012, 07:25 PM
Appreciate all the Boberg feedback.

I don't think the price is high at all.....compared to a Solo CDP it's a bargain.

I have on occasion bought "introductory" firearms that were high quality, good reviews, and short lived in the marketplace. What generally happens is they become collectible and the prices soar. One such gun was bought for $1600.....it's now valued at over $5000. Another was made only for two years, bought for $900.....it's now worth in excess of $4000.

Don't see the Boberg as a risky buy at all.

Billy Shears
May 7, 2012, 08:08 PM
Appreciate all the Boberg feedback.

I don't think the price is high at all.....compared to a Solo CDP it's a bargain.

I have on occasion bought "introductory" firearms that were high quality, good reviews, and short lived in the marketplace. What generally happens is they become collectible and the prices soar. One such gun was bought for $1600.....it's now valued at over $5000. Another was made only for two years, bought for $900.....it's now worth in excess of $4000.

Don't see the Boberg as a risky buy at all.
Well that depends on what you want the gun for. If you're looking for an investment, you're absolutely right. If you're looking for a gun you can carry, and/or shoot a lot, and will still be able to get parts and service for a decade or two from now when something breaks or wears out... It makes a big difference whether or not the company is still in business.

Mr.Revolverguy
May 7, 2012, 08:10 PM
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1525

OcelotZ3
May 8, 2012, 01:02 AM
I've had mine for about eight months now I think. I love it! Serial # in the 30's.

A friend has tried it out and said "thanks a lot, now all my carry 9's don't seem very good". It's that good. It's small/compact, has a nice trigger, and is very accurate & groups very well. It's a keeper.

skt239
May 8, 2012, 07:21 AM
I've had mine for about eight months now I think. I love it! Serial # in the 30's.

A friend has tried it out and said "thanks a lot, now all my carry 9's don't seem very good". It's that good. It's small/compact, has a nice trigger, and is very accurate & groups very well. It's a keeper.

Can we see some pics of this thing?

Pilot
May 8, 2012, 08:23 AM
Really interesting concept. I'd like to see a picture of the mag loaded "backwards". Maybe HK had something after all. :)

It seems the system allows the barrel to be longer and for more of it to be "behind" the hand so overall length is not affected. Not to mention HK again, but they did somewhat the same thing in the P7 by angling the magazine more severely in the grip. The Boberg is certainly a more radical departure.

I hope it sell, and is successful. I'd try one.

PX15
May 8, 2012, 11:15 AM
JMofartO:

Worrying about whether or not a company, (any company) will be in business in ten or twenty years, as a consideration for purchasing something makes no sense to me.

I doubt that anyone willing to spend a thousand bucks on a Boberg only has one gun anyway. Crap, I've got two dozen myself. So, if Boberg goes belly up some time down the road, I'll just put it away and pull out a different gun and go on about my business.

If you had told me a decade ago that Oldsmobile, Pontiac would be long gone in 2012 I'd have thought you were crazy. I had a great little Saturn (35mpg) for commuting in years ago, and now Saturn is defunct as well.

So, I'm sure if major divisions of the automobile industry can go out of business, it would not seem beyond belief that a gun manufacturer could as well.

In fact, one has (altho I hear of a possible reincarnation), Charles Daly.. I bought a very nice 12ga pump riot shotgun (new) with a "lifetime warranty".. Two months later CD was defunct.. Go figure?

But, to me anyway, worrying about whether or not Arne and Boberg Arms and his XR9-S MIGHT not be successful, and MIGHT not make it over the long haul just MIGHT, in my opinion be spending too much time worrying about too many "mights".

I'm a lot more worried about what is to become of America IF the present administration is re-elected in November than I am the possibility that the XR9-S is not going to be around for the long haul.

But, everyone is entitled to their own opinions on the subject, and I have mine.

Mine being of course that I think Arne, and Boberg Arms has produced a top quality, highly desirable new mini-compact 9MM pistol. There are at least 1400 people, so far, that have been willing to buy, or offer to buy a Boberg XR9-S at roughly $1000.00 a pop, and more adding their names to the pre-order list on a daily basis. (If you don't believe it you can check out the names and dates they were put on the list on the www.bobergarms.com site).

Multiply $1000 times 1400 and I think you will see that at this point Arne's little Boberg Arms Inc. has done pretty darn good considering the fact that the pistol is still virtually unknown to most potential American gun buyers.

Once the gun magazines start testing and reviewing the Boberg XR9-S I only expect interest to rise tremendously with ever increasing sales..

I've yet to hear of anyone who already has his/her Boberg XR9-S that is not satisfied with it..

Just personal opinion, no offense to anyone.

Jesse

LightningMan
May 8, 2012, 08:10 PM
PX15, where do you find the list, as I want to see where I'm at. Thanks.
BTW there was already a review in Pocket Pistols 2012 buyers guide.

PX15
May 8, 2012, 09:04 PM
LightningMan:

Go to the Boberg site (www.bobergarms.com). On the "PreOrder Today for Free" section (top left) click to pre-order.

The next page shown will be the pre-order page. The top half of the page is informative (and in yellow). The bottom of the page is the actual "pre-order" form where you put your information (white section). At the bottom of the yellow section, just before the order info would go is a "click here" to see your timestamp.. Click here and the list will come up for you.

For what it's worth each section shown consists of roughly 14 names, so when you scroll down each time you go to a new section you will have 14 pre-orders above yours.

FWIW I believe my timestamp was 11/10/11 (or close to it) and I just got my notification to order last week.

I'm guessing my XR9-S will show up somewhere between 4-10 weeks from the time I got my notification.

Hope this helps.

Jesse

Bobo
May 9, 2012, 12:05 AM
Check out this site. He is using his to test ammo.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=45

Bobo

OcelotZ3
May 9, 2012, 12:09 AM
Can we see some pics of this thing?

Sure, you can see pics at the Boberg web site... Lots of photos.

I don't have a photobucket account and I'm not motivated enough to register there (or somewhere else), pull the gun out of the safe, take a photo, transfer to the PC, resize it, upload and then post with a link just because someone wanted to see a photo of it or thinks I'm blowing smoke.

I was part of the original thread where Arne was asking for feedback, etc. and was obviously one of the people who got on the list initially. It was a long wait but I wasn't in a hurry and he didn't require any money down until he was a few months out from delivery.

hogshead
May 9, 2012, 12:20 AM
Bubba613 nailed it.

PX15
May 9, 2012, 08:43 AM
Ocelot:

FWIW I have found photobucket to be a pretty darn convenient place to host photos, it's free, and easy to use.

Not trying to mind your business, just suggest you give it a try sometimes.. In the past I have posted a ton of gun pictures on the various firearm forums, and have yet to find an easier way to do that than Photobucket.

I agree with you that anyone unfamiliar with the Boberg XR9-S can find all he/she needs to know by visiting the site (www.bobergarms.com), and Utube has several good videos of the Boberg being tested and reviewed..

Best Wishes,

Jesse

skt239
May 9, 2012, 09:11 AM
Sure, you can see pics at the Boberg web site... Lots of photos.

I don't have a photobucket account and I'm not motivated enough to register there (or somewhere else), pull the gun out of the safe, take a photo, transfer to the PC, resize it, upload and then post with a link just because someone wanted to see a photo of it or thinks I'm blowing smoke.

I was part of the original thread where Arne was asking for feedback, etc. and was obviously one of the people who got on the list initially. It was a long wait but I wasn't in a hurry and he didn't require any money down until he was a few months out from delivery.

Wow, take it easy. Nobody is accusing you of "blowing smoke", it was just a common place request for pics. It happens all the time here on the forums but normally without people taking offense to it.

PX15
May 9, 2012, 04:06 PM
skt:

Seriously, if you will check out the videos on utube, or on the Boberg site you'll have a much better idea of the XR9-S pistol than a photo or two will provide for you.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

The_Armed_Therapist
May 9, 2012, 05:38 PM
It's hideous. It's like a Magnum Research .380 copulated with a Taurus.

Yes, because bad guys go down faster if the gun fits the SHOOTER'S definition of good-looking... Oh... And better looking guns get at least 25% more velocity. :rolleyes: LOL!

RH45
May 9, 2012, 10:27 PM
I was considering ordering one, and was actually going to drive up there when they were going to the range, but, for a self-defense gun, especially a little one, with a short sight radius, I really like Crimson Trace Lasergrips, and ended up buying a Kimber Solo instead.:what:

mr.trooper
May 9, 2012, 11:27 PM
I think I would have a definite wait and see attitude towards it.

This is exactly why new arms companies have such a hard time getting started. Gun nuts are afraid to try anything new.

Madcap_Magician
May 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
I'm worried I won't have the money for it by the time my name comes up on this list. I can't remember when I added my name, probably last September.

power5
May 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
skt:

Seriously, if you will check out the videos on utube, or on the Boberg site you'll have a much better idea of the XR9-S pistol than a photo or two will provide for you.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

True that there are nice professional photos that have probably been retouched on the site but real life photos are much more valuable to me. Grainy YouTube videos from a distance don't do much either.

I am very interested in one of these (prefer original concept size), I just wish I could buy now when I have tax return money to burn.

PabloJ
May 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
I'm not in engineering business but the mo seems suspiciously similar to the KB-ST PSh-4.

skt239
May 10, 2012, 05:49 PM
True that there are nice professional photos that have probably been retouched on the site but real life photos are much more valuable to me. Grainy YouTube videos from a distance don't do much either.

I am very interested in one of these (prefer original concept size), I just wish I could buy now when I have tax return money to burn.

My thoughts exactly, power. Thank you.

LightningMan
May 10, 2012, 09:12 PM
As I posted before there is a Boberg sticky on the Sig Forum w/pictures, on page 6, the sticky is 6 pages long.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/9060021962/p/6

power5
May 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
I'm sorry, where is the 6 pages of pictures? I see maybe 10 total pictures.

mesinge2
May 11, 2012, 10:31 PM
Very interesting construction!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/waterburybob/XR9Sinternal00001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/waterburybob/XR9Sinternal00003.jpg

LightningMan
May 11, 2012, 11:08 PM
No power5, there's pictures, but the sticky is 6 pages long, sorry, hope that clears it up.

power5
May 11, 2012, 11:22 PM
Yup some good info in that thread for sure. I was just expecting, or hoping for, 6 pages of photos from owners.

That side recoil spring has me a little nervous though. Just seems like it could bind up. Apparently not though as I am sure extensive testing has been done. Maybe not I guess. Seems like the guide rod extends past the moving bits and ends after the locking lugs on the barrel.

Any concern for the tongs wearing out and not grabbing rounds? How many rounds have been successfully fired?

steven58
May 12, 2012, 12:59 AM
I have had my XR9-S for about a month now. I went on the pre-order list Sept/2011, got my purchase authorization email April/2012 and had my pistol 2 weeks later. My serial # is 379.

I have about 300 rounds of 9 mm ammo through it so far (115 to 147 gr. with +P in the 115 and 124 gr). and can give you the following impressions:

Fit and finish are superb. No visible tool marks on any surface inside or out. All materials used seem to be top shelf. Operation is smooth with minimal play in all moving parts.

The XR9-S is a very small, light weight pistol that's quite slim and smooth with nothing to snag on clothing. It is almost 2" shorter than my Colt Cobra and smaller in all other dimension as well. The grip is a generous 2 finger grip with the pinky finger under the base. I can almost get a full grip on it but it's more comfortable with the pinky under. The magazines are very small for the 7 rounds they hold. This is due to the lack of a follower. Round # 7 rests directly on the mag spring. I found it carries well in a Remora pocket holster (Remora actually makes a holster specific to this gun) in khakis or jeans in the front pocket.

I was also able to modify a leather Safariland .38 cal. dump pouch that I got at the last gun show for $ 10.00 into a perfect magazine pouch by wetting and stretching the flap about 1/3". Then removing the plastic liner and cutting it to 1/2 size, beveling it and re inserting it into the bottom of the pouch. I carry it flap up, upside down for a dump pouch but perfect as a magazine pouch.

The DAO trigger has the weight, length of pull and reset that feels sort of between a factory S&W K frame and a tuned J frame. It's very smooth with no stacking and a clean break with just the slightest overtravel after a pull of about 7 lbs.

The XR9-S is very accurate and shootable. Offhand I can keep all 8 rounds on a 12" target at 50 yds with 5 shots in the black, one of which hit the bull. I also had no problem dancing a 1 liter soda bottle around the 50 yd. berm hitting it most of the time and missing by scant inches when I didn't . At 10 yd. it's 8 rounds into one ragged hole.

I found that while the trigger pull and reset are long compared to some semi auto pistols, the low recoil and extremely fast recovery allows for fast accurate shooting.

Thanks to the feed mechanism, rotating bolt and grip design, the recoil is very modest. The best comparison I can give is that it feels very much like an H&K P7. I have shot over 100 rounds at a sitting with the XR9 with no discomfort.

There is no last round hold open. When you consider the operating system this makes sense. So, just like a revolver, when you are out of ammo it lets you know by ceasing to make loud noises when the trigger is pulled. However, after your 8 shots you have a faster reload than a revolver.

This pistol is overall very reliable. I have had only 1 FTF in 300 rounds and that was deliberately induced. To whit, this feed mechanism can suffer a type of jam similar to the kind sometimes experienced in ultra light weight .357 Magnum small revolvers (where a bullet "prairie dogs" and ties up the cylinder. In the XR9, if the cartridge does not have a proper crimp, the bullet can separate from the case when it's pulled from the magazine. This will leave a case, a loose bullet and the powder all "mushed" into the chamber area.

I caused this separation jam to occur by using a type of ammo that did not have a crimp. I can tell you there's no "immediate action" for this situation, you are out of action. I had to drop the magazine, rack the slide to eject the case and drop out the bullet then field strip and blow out the powder from all rails and cam surfaces before the slide could cycle. There's a list of compatible ammo on the Boberg website.

As an experiment, I ran some of the offending ammo through my Lee Factory Crimp die giving it a moderate crimp. Then I took a round, marked it's base with a sharpie and cycled it through the pistol as the # 2 round in the magazine for 7 shots. The round did not pull apart and it cycled every time.

I plan to "safety crimp" any ammo I intend to carry in this pistol, just in case.

I found the trigger to be a bit wide for my tastes and the flats on it's sides to be slightly uncomfortable as I prefer a slim radiused and polished trigger for DA work. A few minutes with a Dremel tool and some emery cloth solved this problem as you can see from the pictures.

Conclusion. My urban carry pistol of choice remains my Kimber Ultra Elite in .45 ACP. However when clothing dictates something smaller and lighter the Boberg has replaced my Colt Cobra. The Boberg is smaller, more powerful, more accurate, holds 2 more rounds and is more controllable.

I found the XR9-S to be a high quality, accurate, very controllable, reliable, 8 rounds of +P 9mm in a palm sized package. Ammo must be crimped properly or it can FTF and put the pistol temporarily out of action.

Pilot
May 12, 2012, 07:54 AM
Steven58,

That is a SUPERB report. Very thorough, realistic, unbiased, and with lots of good advice. Thanks.

steven58
May 12, 2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks Pilot,

I am hoping that Arne Boberg is a success with his company. A short perusal of the postings on his website's forums will show how engaged he is in this project. In a cynical world it's nice to see someone doing what they truly love, especially in the field of firearms.

And, while I've never met Arne personally, I have corresponded with him via email. He has always answered any questions I have had about his product promptly and personally.

He seems like he is willing to go the distance to keep his customers happy.

I can't wait to see what versions are down the road. My hope is for a full size 10mm auto that would have a barrel of about 6" in a pistol almost the size of a 1911 Commander with adj. sights and a DA/SA trigger. Great woods gun. It should be super accurate and with this system have very low recoil

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have a Boberg 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!