American Eagle 38gr .22lr Cu plated..WOW!

PDA

The_Next_Generation
May 6, 2012, 10:19 PM
Hey all,

I picked up some American Eagle 38gr HPs at the range today to run through my CZ 452 Trainer. All I can say is WOW!!

Here is my best group today, it was 5 shots but there was one flyer a few inches off, it is not in the frame:

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/TNxtGen/DSC02648.jpg

I had a 1.5" three-shot group, but I didn't take a picture of that one.

Anyone else find this stuff to be DOB accurate?

-TNG

If you enjoyed reading about "American Eagle 38gr .22lr Cu plated..WOW!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shotgunjoel
May 6, 2012, 10:23 PM
.5 MOA, might have to try some of that stuff. Very nice.

Snowdog
May 7, 2012, 12:00 PM
1" group at 200 yards with a .22LR? Stick with that combination because that is truly phenomenal.

TNG... hmm, you wouldn't be related to Data by chance? That might explain those groups. :)

Centurian22
May 7, 2012, 06:54 PM
TNG: awesome shooting and thanks for the post. Found this stuff on CTDirt might have to try some myself for the monthly Rimfire matches on here.

Snowdog: LMAO! Good one!

bannockburn
May 7, 2012, 07:14 PM
TNG

Were you getting groups like that with any other rimfire ammo in your CZ 452? I have always had great accuracy with Wolf Match Target but if this American Eagle shoots that good, I will definitely have to try some.

Snowdog
May 7, 2012, 11:14 PM
Snowdog: LMAO! Good one!

I know, I'm such a nerd... so my wife says. :D

Centurian22
May 7, 2012, 11:23 PM
No nerdier than I am (also according to my wife lol). I was raised a 'Trekie' going to conventions in costume and everything.

The_Next_Generation
May 8, 2012, 01:56 AM
bannokburn - I've tried quite a few different brands, but this is the best I've ever seen this rifle shoot! Normally I pull ~2" groups at 200yds (using Blaser), but that's about it. My other groups on this day were all around the 1.125-1.5" mark, which was a pleasant surprise!

For those who care, I was running a front and rear bag (dirtbag cheater, I know :evil:). I used a SWFA 16x 42mm in SWFA 30mm rings on top of BKL Tech. dovetail->picatinny adapters.

Here is a generic shot of the ammo I was using, in case my description was off: (Sorry, I threw out the box when I was finished, so no lot # :( )

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/24086ae995f854461eb458b7f013ee00.jpg

Annnnnd the boomstick itself .... :D

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l590/TNxtGen/DSC01158.jpg

I have yet to try CCI Minimags at 200 yards, I'll let you guys know how that goes once I shoot some this weekend. I'll have to give CCI Standard Vel. a go as well!

- TNG

LAK
May 9, 2012, 06:05 AM
Just goes to show that it is well worth trying as many different loads in any gun, regardless of whether they are "budget" fodder or not.

And that the little .22 can go a long way out in a properly set up platform.

DPris
May 9, 2012, 03:03 PM
I use quite a bit of AE personally & in testing.
I find it's occasionally the most accurate in some guns, and when it's not it produecs above-average results & is also one of the most consistent from group to group.

Yesterday in a CZ 455 FS Remington's bulk Golden did the best at 50 yards on a windy day with iron sights, the AE's best was 1 13/16 inches for five shots (two groups actually measured the same). It usually does better. The Remington did a 3/4-inch best group.
Guns vary in preferences.

AE is what I buy & shoot for regular use in my own guns, and it runs the best in my Ruger Target Tactical 10/22.
Denis

If you enjoyed reading about "American Eagle 38gr .22lr Cu plated..WOW!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!