Ever find something wrong with a NIB firearm?

PDA

sirgilligan
May 7, 2012, 07:28 AM
Have you ever found something wrong with a new-in-the-box (NIB) unfired firearm?

This question goes with the idea of field stripping and inspecting a new firearm before the first use.

I have heard tell that some have found the recoil spring on backwards (on some firearms there is a big end and a little end to the recoil spring).

So, have you ever found anything wrong that you corrected before the first round was ever fired?

Once I found a magazine that had the spring in backwards and was rubbing, just unhooked it from the follower, flipped it around, hooked it up, put it back end, pushed on the floor plate, good to go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever find something wrong with a NIB firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
COgunner
May 7, 2012, 10:34 AM
Yep - in January I bought a NIB .40 from a well-known, "quality" manufacturer and the barrel was not rifled. Took a little over 3 weeks to get it back with a new barrel.

sirgilligan
May 7, 2012, 11:16 AM
the barrel was not rifled

Good find. I bet if you had been at the range you would have been scratching your head thinking, "Man, I thought most all modern guns were accurate."

Skribs
May 7, 2012, 11:58 AM
I didn't really take notice of it until recently, but the recoil pad that is just supposed to pop out of a Benelli ComforTech stock on my SuperNova was fused to the stock, which meant when I finally decided to pull it out I pulled part of the stock out with it.

J-Bar
May 7, 2012, 01:10 PM
I ordered a new Uberti 1873 rifle through the local gun store. It arrived, I took it home, and it would not chamber a round. Took it back to the store that same afternoon. They returned it to the distributor and I got a different rifle about a week later.

gpjoe
May 7, 2012, 01:21 PM
Bought a Ruger SA revolver marked .45 ACP on the frame - this is a .45 ACP only revolver with a single cylinder. Got it home and tried to load it and found that it had a .45 Long Colt cylinder. Immediately went back to the seller and he repalced it with another from stock that was correct.

gym
May 7, 2012, 01:29 PM
Absolutelly, I can't remember all of them, but the most recent was a Taurus 357 mag. I picked it out for my best friend who defered to me on selecting which one he should get, knowing I am more into pistols than he is, from 3 that the dealer at the gun show had. It had a tight lockup and looked fine. Once we got home the cylinder once loaded with ammo would fail to turn. Either someone bent or dropped the gun. The rounds cut right into the frame. We immediatlly drove back to the show and got an exchange. Generally I have found more problems with sub compact pistols, as it's harder to shrink down a 45 and have it reliable in a 3" or less barrell.

premier1
May 7, 2012, 01:37 PM
Never had a NIB firearm with a problem.Never had to send a firearm back. And oh by the way I own 2 of those terrible Taurus firearms that never had a problem and can black out bullseyes.

Eric646
May 7, 2012, 01:46 PM
Bought a S&w bodyguard .380 NIB from cabelas. It fired 4 timed before the trigger would no longer engage. It just kinda flopped around in there. Took it right back to cabelas and they exchanged it for one that has worked perfectly since.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

joecil
May 7, 2012, 02:10 PM
Sure have myself and recently (last year) bought a Rossi 92 rifle in 45 colt. It had failures to feed as that I discovered after getting it home and cleaning the factory grease out if. Loaded up a magazine of 10 rounds and tried cycling first went fine second didn't pulled it out and again went fine etc. Called Rossi and they sent a shipping label for the gun that afternoon and shipped it back. Got the gun 5 business days later working perfectly and never looked back. It happens to all of them as some things seem to slip by their quality control as no one is always dead on regardless.

sirgilligan
May 7, 2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the responses so far.

The point is that a little investigation prior to shooting can avoid a wasted day at the range or even something worse.

The advice of "take it out of the box and go shoot it" seems a bit presumptuous.

I am sure there are more stories, so please share them if you like.

R.W.Dale
May 7, 2012, 04:53 PM
I once purchased a new 30 carbine blackhawk that the cylinder wouldn't lock on because the detention plunger was wedged into the frame sideways

TyGuy
May 7, 2012, 04:55 PM
My Ruger Mk III had a trigger problem, that Ruger fixed at NO cost to me.

You could load the firearm, aim at the target, pull the trigger, and nothing would happen. You could pull the tigger again and nothing. Then about the third time you pulled the trigger the pistol would fire. Weird.

Ryanxia
May 7, 2012, 04:56 PM
I had a pocket .380 NIB that had trouble feeding. Tried two different magazines, different types of ammo, cleaned/lubed, etc. Eventually sent it back in and got a new one (free). New one shoots great.

saltyyn1
May 7, 2012, 06:49 PM
About 7 years ago I was working in a sporting goods store & ordered 5 1911's from a well known maker. Had to send 3 back for repairs before I could sell them. I don't remember all the defects, but never bought from that manufacturer again.

I also ordered a lever action rifle from a distributor and when I was was cleaning the grease off prior to display, I jacked the lever & a live round fell out. Gald a customer didn't handle it. Called the distributor as the s/n on the gun didn't match the s/n on the invoice. Seems this rifle had been sent back to the factory for repair & was packaged in a new box & sent to me. Both the distributor & manufacturer reps knew me by name. Must have had 30 calls from both of them in the week it took to send the rifle back.

sirgilligan
May 7, 2012, 07:56 PM
I jacked the lever & a live round fell out
Wow. Remember all guns are loaded! Literally. That is amazing.

The Lone Haranguer
May 7, 2012, 09:19 PM
I had a Para-Ord P12-45 that could not be field-stripped. The recommended procedure was to turn the recoil spring plug with a screwdriver until the locking tab disengaged, then the plug and spring would pop out. (This was shared with the similar Colt Officer's ACP.) Try as I might, it wouldn't pop out. Finally I retracted the slide and pulled the slide stop out. The spring plug turned out to have severe burring on the edge. And it went downhill from there. :rolleyes:

Captains1911
May 7, 2012, 09:41 PM
Bought a Century AK once that shot 6 feet to the left at 25 yards with the sight cranked as far over as it would go. Own a Springfield 1911 that was a jamomatic out of the box, I had to send it back twice before they made it function properly. Also had a Rock River Arms AR-15 with a tight chamber that blew primers constantly (I hate RRA).

gym
May 7, 2012, 10:30 PM
My new gunstore gives you a box of rounds and a target with an hour of time when you buy a gun new.

M2 Carbine
May 7, 2012, 11:52 PM
Sure.

Probably the worst was a NIB Ruger MK III that fired when the thumb safety was moved from Safe to Fire.

Certaindeaf
May 8, 2012, 12:56 AM
Yes, very often. NIB means not carbon/copper/lead fouled. Without fail I see "new" guns being sold at gun shops as such (NIB). The problem is, it's not. It got joy rode.. or something.

Beak50
May 8, 2012, 01:53 AM
20+yrs ago I brought a Tec-9 that wouldn't cycle the 2nd. round.I took it back twice and finally told the guy I wanted a different gun and left with a marlin .444.The shop in New Castle,P.A. is closed now but they tried getting me to buy a chinese AK with a bent front sight also.

clem
May 8, 2012, 02:09 AM
Yes, a brand new Taurus 941. What a piece of crap!

cyclopsshooter
May 8, 2012, 02:14 AM
Just got in a Bersa Thunder .380 that was missing the rear sight blade and screw.

toivo
May 8, 2012, 02:35 AM
A brand-new Beretta shotgun that had no bead on the barrel. I even joked with the guy in the store when he opened the box to check the serial number. The barrel was boxed separately inside the main box, and I said, "Do we need to open that? There's a barrel in there, right?" We both laughed. Ha ha ...

Imagine my surprise when I got it home. I thought maybe it had fallen off inside, but I turned that box inside out and there was no bead anywhere. The store made good, though -- none of that "has to go back to the manufacturer" business. They just had their gunsmith put a new bead on it, and life was good again. Minus one point for Beretta, plus one for Gander Mountain. ;)

Centurian22
May 8, 2012, 02:55 AM
Gym: WOW!!! Now that's what I call service!!! Wish my LGS had such an amazing policy! I would feel alot better about a purchase.

chicharrones
May 8, 2012, 10:00 AM
Yep, with three different gun manufacturers.

One I had intent on purchasing felt like someone poured grit in the innards of a revolver.

One had cosmetic issues of poorly ground frame contours where someone got happy with the grinding wheel.

Another had cosmetic issues of buggered up sight screws and mounting pins as if someone had removed the sights and put them back on. Plus, the plastic box it came in was battered internally like the gun had been banging around inside across all 50 states before it made it to its final destination.

elrowe
May 8, 2012, 10:07 AM
Yes, didn't find it from the pre-firing cleaning/inspection, but a Springfield Armory 1911A1 in 9mm had severe feeding problems. It actually wasn't new production, but was ten years with the former owner without a round through it. They took it back at their expense and put about $200 worth of parts and labor and made it the best shooting pistol in my inventory. Made me an SA fan for life.

sirgilligan
May 8, 2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the great information. Some of the posts are issues found at the range and share all those you want.

Those that found something before the range because they inspected the firearm or even before taking delivery, those are the ones I find most interesting in this thread.

jon_in_wv
May 8, 2012, 10:21 AM
I was at a LGS and I handled a brand new Rossi 462. I noticed the ejector star was loose and could rotate. I showed the owner of the shop and he just said, "that fine, there is nothing wrong with it." I told him thank you and I'll take my business somewhere else from now on.

denton
May 8, 2012, 11:28 AM
My profession is process improvement.

The quality we put up with in new firearms is laughably bad.

If you're supplying automotive components, you will have better than a 50 parts per million defect rate. Period.

Right now, I've got my son's Kahr back at the factory. At 12.5 yards, it shoots one foot groups, about a foot and a half low. New Savage 22 was erratic, and they replaced it with one that wouldn't feed. New Howa bolt action did not have the bolt lugs ground smooth.

With world class quality, any one of those would be a once in a generation experience for a whole small city of avid shooters.

GEM
May 8, 2012, 11:31 AM
Friend had a Ruger Blackhawk with a gouge in one cylinder. A fired round expanded into it and froze it in place.

snakeman
May 8, 2012, 11:35 AM
Yep, magazine defects on two remington 700s, cracked stock on a cz527, defective trigger on marlin xl7, floated mossberg 100 atr wasn't actually floated, huge gauge in taurus revolver riflings, faulty bolt on armalite ar, should i keep going?

old4x4
May 8, 2012, 01:27 PM
Two guns.
A Taurus 444 Multi with a cocked barrel. It looked like it wasn't screwed in all the way and the front sight wasn't aligned with the rear. 2 trips back to Taurus before they fixed it, and the second time (the gunshop) got it back, I got rid of it unfired.
A Marlin 1895 variation in 45-70..wouldn'd feed from the magazine. One of the parts was broken. A week later and it was back and working.

sansone
May 8, 2012, 02:03 PM
happens a lot, QC is dropping since manufacturers can't seem to keep up with demand lately

sirgilligan
May 8, 2012, 05:35 PM
should i keep going?

By all means... if you want.

Dnaltrop
May 8, 2012, 06:02 PM
Only one, a Taurus Tracker 9-shot .22

Out of the box it seizes up between cylinders in DA and SA, been to Taurus twice now, needs to go a third time but we're sick of sending it back.

Not even up to 200 rounds through it yet.

foghornl
May 8, 2012, 06:20 PM
Not a whole gun, but one ruger magazine I bought for my KP-90 was "goofy". You could NOT get more than 3 rounds in it.

Went back to the shop, they took it apart and found spring was in wrong. Now, it works as designed.

FROGO207
May 8, 2012, 06:47 PM
A Heritage 32 H&R magnum revolver that shot at 11 o'clock out about a foot from point of aim. It was like that out of the box. Great price for a reasonable quality product but poor customer service. Also the cylinder pin was about 1/4 inch too short with the indent in the wrong spot that caused the cylinder to lock up. Worse still I had to actually buy the correct replacement pin, not get it replaced for free.:fire: FWIW I own 2 .22 Rough riders that are dependable and accurate still, as they were new out of the box over 20 years ago.

commygun
May 8, 2012, 08:51 PM
SW 411 with a defective extractor.
Beretta 950BS slide would not go into battery.
NAA 32 Guardian mainspring would come out of it's retainer.
AMT DAO Back Up 380 would not feed
AMT DAO Back Up 45 had repeated misfires
Their respective factories fixed them all except the 45 (I fixed it after three trips to the factory).

Dr.Rob
May 9, 2012, 01:14 PM
Back in 2007 I ordered an 1894 Marlin 44 Cowboy limited through a local retailer and they told me it arrived with a dinged/broken/marred stock somehow.

Took a couple extra weeks to get a replacement stock ordered in and fit. Glad the shop caught it rather than me. Tells me THAT shop does more than open the box to check the serial number.

Ky Larry
May 9, 2012, 06:34 PM
Several. Let's see:

1. A NIB Taurus PT-92. After the first 3 shots, the slide jammed partially open and wouldn't move. Also, the rear sights fell off. Traded it that day for a S&W Model 19 which I still have.

2. A S&W Model 29 nickel plated. On it's first range trip, the plating around the front of the cylinder, the crane, and about half the barrel came off.

3. A TEC-9 that was the worst p.o.s. jam-o-matic I ever owned. After 3 trips to the factory, it still couldn't make it thru a full mag without jamming. Traded it for a T/C Contender .223 Rem which I still have.

4. A Marlin 336C that wouldn't load a round into the chamber. Several trips back to Marlin before they gave up and gave me a new rifle.

Japle
May 9, 2012, 07:36 PM
1. I bought a KelTec SUB-2000 (G17 mags) and it wouldn’t feed hardball. It wouldn’t feed anything. I live only 20 minutes from the factory and they fixed it while I waited, maybe 15 minutes. I was told they’d had a run of too-short feed ramps. It's 100% now.

2. I bought a S&W 686SSR that had an unusual “feature”. The cylinder had 6 chambers and 7 flutes. Chamber wall thickness varied from 0.10” to 0.04”. Google “S&W 686 cylinder flutes” for details and photos.

3. S&W didn’t bother to thread-lock the barrel and barrel nut on my new 327PC at the factory. The nut came loose in a match and the gun started shooting a couple of feet high and left. They can’t have expected me to keep it tight. The gun didn’t come with a (very specialized) wrench. I modified a DW wrench and fixed it myself.

Averageman
May 9, 2012, 08:09 PM
Search Sig 556 here.
I had an ongoing issue with Sig rifles that went on for almost 8 months.
I hear great things about their pistols, but I wont give 'em another nickle.

wyohome
May 9, 2012, 08:19 PM
Model 36 S&W: Weak hammer strikes, sometimes would not fire. Sent back, no better. A guy at work took it apart and cleaned up the sear.
Savage "Fox" BSE: Auto ejectors never did work right. A friend borrowed it for a bird hunting season, and found that there were two springs in one ejector and none in the other...45 years after I bought it.
Kimber Longmaster Classic: Fails to eject on occasion, fails to fire sometimes, too. I might send it back, or hide it in the back of my safe so it does not piss me off whenever I see it.

thorazine
May 9, 2012, 09:11 PM

Brought home a Charles Daly ES.

With one wipe from a rag the bluing started coming off. =/

Murphy4570
May 10, 2012, 08:36 AM
Yep - in January I bought a NIB .40 from a well-known, "quality" manufacturer and the barrel was not rifled. Took a little over 3 weeks to get it back with a new barrel.

Ha ha that's a funny one! I would have shot it just for the fun of seeing a pistol shoot shotgun patterns!

locnload
May 10, 2012, 10:01 AM
I recently purchased a new S&W M&P 22 from a favored local shop(Jensen Arms). I knew I wanted one so I told them to give me a call when they got some in. They called on Friday and I picked it up on Saturday, without a good "once over". Big mistake, won't do that again. I got it home, went to the bench and started looking it over. It has a manual safety, and as I looked at it, I found it only had a safety thumb lever on the right side and started wondering if I could reverse it to the left side. But wait, its suposed to be ambidextrious. Closer inspection revealed that the left side thumb lever had broken off, the small piece was in the plastic bag the gun was wrapped in inside its box. No problem, I took it back in on Monday morning and although the first salesman I encountered told me I'd have to ship it back to S&W, after an assertive NO :mad:, senior staff members said they would replace it and deal with S&W themselves. I had to redo the background check for another serial number, but no big deal, 45 minutes later I was out with a well inspected gun that by the way, works great. :cool:

JustA19D
May 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah, one time i bought Remington 700 in 300 win mag, i had looked over the display model and when i decided it was what i wanted the salesman said "here let me get you a NIB one that hasnt been handled" so he went in the back and got a box, the box was labled 300 win mag, the serial on the box matched the gun, but i forgot to check what the barrel was stamped caliber wise, i didnt realize until i got home it was a 270, dern

Erik M
May 10, 2012, 10:07 PM
I had a Ruger Vaquero ordered a year or so ago, when I pulled the cylinder out of it the face looked like someone had scrawled all over it with an engraving tool. after 3 phone calls to Ruger the only excuse I got was that this was normal and the techs that assemble the weapons engrave parts of the serial number on the cylinder. they engraved numbers (freehand) and then gouged them out between every chamber on my gun.

Joe_m107
May 11, 2012, 03:38 AM
I bought a S&W 329 PD Alaska Backpacker that would have light primer strikes about every other round. I brought it back to the store (Sportmans Warehouse) and they shipped it back to S&W.

I got it back about 10 working days later. The manager said that a bunch of these revolvers were being returned because of our of spec firing pins.

My revolver worked perfectly after that.

Kiln
May 12, 2012, 03:49 AM
I've seen issues with the finish being chipped or cracked on nickel plated guns straight from the factory.

Other than minor finish problems I've been lucky so far. Hopefully my luck will hold up.

hemiram
May 12, 2012, 06:33 AM
Not with any recent guns, but in the past, I had a LOT of bad out of the box guns.

These are just the really memorable ones:

Taurus Model 83: First gun, bad rifling, timing off, cylinder not surfaced correctly.
AMT Hardballer Longslide. Galling on slide rails, badly finished inside.
Colt Combat Commander. A real mess. Frame and slide both very rough. My last 1911.
FTL Auto Nine. Blew extractors, again and again.

There are a bunch more, but can't remember them now, it's too late.

jbauch357
May 12, 2012, 03:43 PM
Yep, just had to send back my NIB CZ Canvasback O/U 12-gauge. The sear wasn't resetting all the way on the single selective trigger, so you couldn't fire the second barrel. You could go top first, or bottom first, but unless you "flicked" the trigger after the first shot the second barrel wouldn't fire.

It took about 6 weeks to have the retailer send it back to the manufacturer, get it repaired and then returned back to me. The trigger feels MUCH better now than before, but I still haven't had a chance to get it out to the range and tun a few rounds of skeet to make sure it works...

ACP
May 13, 2012, 11:35 AM
It hurts me to say this, because I love S&W, but I bought a NIB S&W 1911 and the barrel bushing link pin would fall out if you tipped the barrel sideways.

I sent it to S&W, and they repaired it for free and paid the freight both ways.

But I had no confidence in the gun after that and sold it at a loss.

justice06rr
May 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
I bought a NIB Keltec PF9 once, and it kept jamming out of the box. There were mag issues and feed ramp needed to be polished. In short, I sold it in a month. It was a decent pistol really; very slim, lightweight, and cheap priced.

wrc
May 13, 2012, 11:06 PM
Just once with Kimber. They were so embarrassed, I got a free trigger job.

wyohome
May 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
^I think they got over it^ Although I did talk to my local Kimber dealer a few days ago and the returns have slowed down for him. He didn't mention if sales had as well.

jimmyraythomason
May 14, 2012, 09:54 AM
Ever find something wrong with a NIB firearm? Yep! A Remington Model 700 BDL-DM that would not chamber a live round,A Maverick 12 ga pump that would not feed unless it was pointed straight up, a Savage 110e that had a thumb print on the rear baffle(clearly made before being blued),a Remington Viper that was a jammamatic. These are just off the top of my head and I'm sure I'll think of more. They all had one thing in common. Anyone want to guess where they all came from?

47CubPilot
May 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
gunshow?

toivo
May 14, 2012, 11:40 AM
a Remington Viper that was a jammamatic
Isn't that pretty much standard with those rifles? :evil:

27hand
May 14, 2012, 01:25 PM
I bought a new Kahr P9 Covert a while back.

Took it out to look it over.
Checked the trigger reset and noticed the gun had a double reset. At the first, less distinguishable reset, depressing the trigger did not allow the gun to dry fire.
The second reset, more pronounced, did.

Called Kahr, sent it back before firing a round.
They picked up shipping to and fro, installed a new trigger, polished the feed ramp and sent it back with a $10 check for my trouble.

Never had another issue although it shouldn't have had this problem to begin with. I carry this BUG more than my primary.

alleyrunner
May 30, 2012, 02:37 PM
New DE Officers, void in face of trigger, Colt offered to fix it but I needed the gun, they would not send a new trigger. Still got void, shoots OK.

nelson133
May 30, 2012, 03:22 PM
Bought an S&W M&P 40C when they came out. Wouldn't feed reliably, as in jamming every 3 or 4 rounds. Sent it back on their dime and they replaced the barrel among other parts and apparently did a trigger job. When it came back, the girl friend bought me Crimson Trace Grips and it has been flawless since. It is my every day carry.

SSN Vet
May 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
Had a Winchester 1300 pump 12 ga. that had the vent rib askew.

Sent it back to Winchesters repair facility in Ogden and some six weeks later it came back...... exactly the same.

Lock Stock and Barrel took it back and refunded my money.... but I ate the shipping.

Swing
May 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
I once picked up a NIB Marlin levergun that simply wouldn't cycle cartridges from the magazine tube. It had to be sent back twice to make it work.

armoredman
May 30, 2012, 03:59 PM
Don't know if this really qualifies as NIB, but bought a Century made CETME "new" from a local shop many years ago that made it through one magazine full before it quit working. Century refused to fix it, as the one year warrantee had expired while it sat at a distributor - apparently the warrantee starts from the day it's built, not from the day it's sold.
Had a Tec-22 handgun that wouldn't feed a full magazine, kept bending rounds at a 90 degree angle. Had a NIB Charter Ar-7 that was the same way, got my money back on both guns.

pat701
May 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
Yes Sig Trailside, went back to LGS next day to send back to Sig.:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever find something wrong with a NIB firearm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!