Extended Magazines

PDA

Tired_and_hungry
May 7, 2012, 11:15 AM
Good Day Y'all,

While an extended 33 rd magazine can be bought for the Glock 17 and a 25 rd magazine can be had for the CZ-75, do any of you guys think that these magazines are actually worth the money paid for them? Do these magazines actually have any real world uses other than just as a cool range accessory? Since these long stick magazines would be impractical for even open carry.....are there any foreseeable social uses for them?

If you enjoyed reading about "Extended Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dogtown tom
May 7, 2012, 11:23 AM
You'll appreciate the tacticoolness of an extended magazine when you are attacked by two dozen zombies.

ATLDave
May 7, 2012, 11:24 AM
Big-stick mags have their uses in some of the shooting games.

One might also argue that carrying one as the reload mag (with a standard mag in the gun) is not strictly impractical, although I don't know where one would have to live to feel the need for 50+ rounds on tap for walkin' around self-defense.

Inebriated
May 7, 2012, 11:24 AM
They're great for carbines that accept such magazines.

It also doesn't hurt to throw them in a bug out bag.

beatledog7
May 7, 2012, 12:17 PM
Twenty-two rounds without reloading is better than 15 rounds. Concealment is not an issue, so I have a 22-round in my favorite HD pistol.

Furncliff
May 7, 2012, 12:27 PM
I bought an extended magazine meant for the 1911 to modify for my Hi Point 4595 carbine. It rides around in my range bag and never gets used. I tried it in my 1911 and it was only so-so reliable, and I never felt like messing with it to make it more reliable. So basically it's ballast. Thanks for reminding me to eject it from the bag.
In my case it was just an experiment to see if an extended mag made any sense for the way I use my guns. It didn't.

Sam1911
May 7, 2012, 12:33 PM
Well, the 33 rd. Glock mags were intended to feed the Glock 18 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock#Glock_18) machine pistol, so there's the "real world" benefit of getting off more than one or two squeezes of the trigger before the mag is empty. ;)

They can have some benefit if you happen to shoot one of the gun games in a class that lets you have unlimited ammo on tap. Reloads can be time-killers.

And, if you do have a carbine that takes pistol mags, they are a bit more appropriate as most military type carbines of the last half-century have featured standard magazines of about that many rounds, and a long, protruding magazine doesn't add all that much to the already considerable bulk of a long-gun.

Aside from those possible concerns? No, not really.

NWcityguy2
May 7, 2012, 12:34 PM
You'll appreciate the tacticoolness of an extended magazine when you are attacked by two dozen zombies.

Sounds about right for a standard internet gun forum answer. USPSA shooters in Open, Limited and Limited 10 w/ a 1911 would look just as silly shooting a flush fitting magazine.

But I suppose obsessing over zombies is important too.

try5077
May 7, 2012, 11:54 PM
I bought a few for my glock, it makes sense as an efficient way to haul ammo in a bug out situation as well, I can get a box of ammo in two mags rather than the 3+ it would take with 15 round mags. Plus they are fun at the range, I wouldn't want it on my hip all day unless it was a shtf situation but I feel better having them than not.

smalls
May 8, 2012, 11:52 AM
If I had a Glock, and open carried often, I'd have one or two on my weak side. :evil:

ku4hx
May 8, 2012, 12:27 PM
Real world benefit ... half the magazine swaps and the crazy looks you sometimes get from other shooters. But let's be honest, if we bought only those items that had real world benefit, we'd all have a lot fewer guns and more gym memberships.

pockets
May 8, 2012, 12:49 PM
Crap, I can only handle sixteen killer-mouse-zombies before reloading.....I suppose I need to build a 100-round drum.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/pockets25/mp25-15-03.jpg

Tired_and_hungry
May 8, 2012, 02:10 PM
Does anyone here own the CZ factory 26 round magazines for their CZ-75? If you have these magazines.....are they reliable?

sansone
May 8, 2012, 03:47 PM
for conceal-carry I don't like magazines that extend beyond the grips, but for the home no problem

Skribs
May 8, 2012, 03:52 PM
http://www.betaco.com/cmag_product_details.asp?product=25

The only problem is in the aftermath of defending yourself from a home invasion, explaining to the cops why you needed to reload.

BSA1
May 8, 2012, 03:59 PM
But I suppose obsessing over zombies is important too.

Go ahead laugh and laugh and laugh, You'll see what happens.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=youtube%20they're%20coming%20to%20take%20me%20away&tnr=21&vid=4801962975101119&l=127&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.mm.bing.net%2Fvideos%2Fthumbnail.aspx%3Fq%3D4801962975101119%26id%3Db29e26318aac64970f2a53c743f3e86d%26bid%3DDoyLX8PtGYkyBQ%26bn%3DThumb%26url%3Dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww.youtube.com%252fwatch%253fv%253dhnzHtm1jhL4&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhnzHtm1jhL4&sigr=11ag05pm1&newfp=1&tit=Napoleon+XIV%3A+%26%2339%3BThey%26%2339%3Bre+coming+to+take+me+away%26%2339%3B

BSA1
May 8, 2012, 04:01 PM
Deleted

SKLFCO
May 8, 2012, 04:14 PM
I run the 26 round factory mag as a second mag for my cz75bd police that is on home guard duty. But its mainly just to make a bunch of noise on the way to get the shotgun should the need arise. And yes, the 2 that i use have been 100% reliable with anything i have put through them. And yes, they are rather overpriced i think.

sansone
May 8, 2012, 04:48 PM
I run the 26 round factory mag as a second mag for my cz75bd police that is on home guard duty. But its mainly just to make a bunch of noise on the way to get the shotgun should the need arise. And yes, the 2 that i use have been 100% reliable with anything i have put through them. And yes, they are rather overpriced i think.
yeah, I read somewhere a handgun is just to distract the BG until you get to the shotgun

ForumSurfer
May 8, 2012, 04:55 PM
Well I do keep a glock 17 with a +2 extension for a reload sometimes. I'm an active guy and anything any longer just jabs me in the ribs at times. Or I could keep it behind my hip I suppose, they'll just think I'm Quasimodo if I lean over for anything.

Real, real world use in a regular joe handgun? Ever hit a steel plate 34 times in a row with a handgun really fast without reloading? It's so much fun you just feel silly...

Sam1911
May 8, 2012, 07:04 PM
Ever hit a steel plate 34 times in a row with a handgun really fast ...
Yeah... but only when shooting a 9mm. The .45 takes 'em right over the first time!

:neener:

I keeed, I keeed! :D

GLShooter
May 8, 2012, 08:02 PM
I have a 22 rounder for my Browning HP that I will use in matches sometimes. Not a carry deal for sure!! :)

Greg

jmr40
May 8, 2012, 09:04 PM
Many of them are either unreliable, or more expensive than I'm willing to pay. I did buy a couple of the 33 round Glock magazines a few years ago. I forget what I paid but they were only slightly more than standard Glock magazines at the time and actually quite a bit less expensive than many standard capacity magazines for some other pistols.

They have proven to be 100% reliable. I always take them to the range along with several other magazines. I don't reload mags at the range. Just shoot up the mags I bring and reload them later at home.

I doubt if I'll ever actually use them in a real SD situation. If I need that many rounds I'll be reaching for the AR's, but who knows. They didn't cost much, they work. If I did actually need them I'd trust them.

M2 Carbine
May 8, 2012, 10:34 PM
Since these long stick magazines would be impractical for even open carry.....are there any foreseeable social uses for them?
I came by a Glock 19 a couple weeks ago. I'm not really a Glock fan but I thought I'd leave the gun in my car.
Last Sunday I bought a 33 round mag at the gun show.
Two reasons for buying it.
It's something that irritates the anti gun crowd and for a spare magazine in the car.

hAkron
May 8, 2012, 11:22 PM
I couldn't afford the kind of lawyer I would need to defend me in a case where I shot 33 rounds to fend off an attacker...even 10 attackers.

Also, more of a funny story than anything, at a gun show (Medina, if any of my NE Ohio people are reading this) I had a self proclaimed former police officer try to tell me that the 33 round Glock mags that he was selling at his own table were technically illegal once they were inserted into the gun because "anything over 15 rounds makes it a machine gun". I just smiled and moved on.

ForumSurfer
May 9, 2012, 12:36 AM
Yeah... but only when shooting a 9mm. The .45 takes 'em right over the first time!

I keeed, I keeed

Depends on the mount. My swinging plates dance too much even with just a 22 to hit continuously that many times. :)

Sam1911
May 9, 2012, 09:34 AM
I had a self proclaimed former police officer try to tell me that the 33 round Glock mags that he was selling at his own table were technically illegal once they were inserted into the gun because "anything over 15 rounds makes it a machine gun". I just smiled and moved on.

Well, believe it or not, he was about half right.

Ohio has a very strange magazine capacity law.

The Ohio Revised Code, section 2923 defines automatic firearms as such:

(E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

The way that law is interpreted is that the magazine is the adapter that allows your glock to fire more than 31 rounds without reloading. Inserting a 33 round mag into your glock makes it an "automatic firearm" under Ohio law, and thus illegal.

Justin
May 9, 2012, 10:03 AM
And by governmental decree, an apple becomes an orange.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Sam1911
May 9, 2012, 10:07 AM
Yup. In Ohio you can have a belt-fed semi-auto M1919 for example. Load up a belt of 31 and you're fine. Put one more link in that belt and you're in possession of an illegal automatic firearm.

How cool is it that you can go to jail for shooting a machine gun that can't fire more than one round at a time?

Okiegunner
May 9, 2012, 05:58 PM
I have a factory "Beretta" 30 rounder and 2 Mec-Gar 20 round mags for a 92 model. The 20 round Mec-Gars add just enough extension to the grip. This enables my hands to fit better on the pistol grip. The Mec-Gars look very good on Beretta 92.

cougar1717
May 9, 2012, 06:31 PM
The only concern that I would have about extra large capacity handgun mags would be reliability. I'm glad to hear several responses with "functions 100%." Those responses balance out with the opinion of the owner of the LGS. He has a large box of these type of mags from trade-ins and has a very low opinion of them. He said most of them will fire the first 8-10 cartridges great, but after that they didn't work very well. I suppose trade-in mags like that may have worn springs.

dondavis3
May 9, 2012, 07:01 PM
Not much practical use in my opinion.

But neither is owning XXX guns :D

You can only shoot one gun at a time. ;)

:cool:

jim243
May 9, 2012, 08:50 PM
50+ rounds on tap for walkin' around self-defense

You bet your bippy, One 18 round mag in the gun and two spare on the hip comes to 54 rounds. Pretty much standard for my PT-92.

No self-respecting pimp would do anything else.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/IMG_0823.jpg

hAkron
May 9, 2012, 09:35 PM
Well, believe it or not, he was about half right.

Ohio has a very strange magazine capacity law.

The Ohio Revised Code, section 2923 defines automatic firearms as such:

The way that law is interpreted is that the magazine is the adapter that allows your glock to fire more than 31 rounds without reloading. Inserting a 33 round mag into your glock makes it an "automatic firearm" under Ohio law, and thus illegal.

Thanks for pointing this out Sam! I still think the guy at the gunshow was a numbskull, even if he was right :)

Dr.Rob
May 9, 2012, 10:22 PM
Anything that sticks out more than an inch of the butt of a handgun is of limited utility.

Also, sometimes you just get badly made mags in the attempt to 'go bigger'.

KRD's 17 shot BHP mags for instance: I bought a couple and they have NEVER worked right. Follower hangs up.. spits a handfull of bullets out at once.. no rhyme nor reason to it.

Ramline's flush fit 15 round mag? Works perfectly. That's the one I leave in it for serious use. Other people swear Ramline's mags were pure junk. LIke I said, I only have one of them.. I haven't seen any for sale in ages.

I don't doubt Glock's long mags work, as they were designed BY Glock.

mr.trooper
May 9, 2012, 11:39 PM
Got a 20 round'er for my GP6.

GLOOB
May 10, 2012, 06:26 AM
I use my 33 rd mag as my "junk" mag. When I have a few loose rds leftover from a box/batch that's not enough to fill one of my dozen 15/17 rd mags, I throw them in the 33 rd mag. When it's eventually filled, it's often a hodgpodge of bullet types/weights. Worth the money paid? Yes. Works great and is very convenient.

Sapper771
May 10, 2012, 11:55 AM
I have one 33 round magazine for my Glocks. It usually resides in the safe, but have packed it on some out of town trips. It usually goes with me on vacation to the cabin. I am sure it will be appreciated if it is ever needed.

Zach S
May 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
Do these magazines actually have any real world uses other than just as a cool range accessory?
No, unless you have a PCC that accepts them, such as a Kel Tec Sub2000 or a Glock lower for an AR15. And lot of folks look at PCCs as cool range toys anyway, which is another thread anyway, and there are plenty of them to choose from...

That said, I do have a handful of Glock 33 round magazines for my G19, because they're a cool range accessory.

Its easier to carry two spare 17 round mags than it is one 33, so if I decided to take it, the 33 rounder would be carried off body but accessible. For those situations, I'd prefer a long gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Extended Magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!