Just found my pan priming tool...

PDA

Busyhands94
May 7, 2012, 11:32 PM
It was sitting in the back of the family car for about 2 months full of real black powder. Pa' found it today and gave it to me, I was more than thrilled!

Only problem is it was completely frozen due to some sort of corrosion. I couldn't get it open or get it to throw powder. But I rectified that by giving it a good cleaning. I had to get it apart with a pair of adjustable pliers it was so bad.

Luckily all the powder inside was fine, I lit a charge with a match and it went poof with a fat ring of smoke like it should.

Any thoughts on this? I thought only powder residue was corrosive, but the spring and the brass was really caked with rust and brass corrosion.

I'm really happy to find this, I mean I haven't felt like shooting my rifle that much due to the fact that it takes about two seconds to fire when you prime it with Pyrodex. Now I get to shoot big fat lead balls downrange with 85 grains of triple Seven FFFG, sure feels manly to shoot a big bore! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Just found my pan priming tool..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kwhi43@kc.rr.com
May 7, 2012, 11:41 PM
Try using a small white glue bottle. You can twist it open with one hand. it will
Never corrode, or cake. And is water proof.

Busyhands94
May 7, 2012, 11:57 PM
That is ingenious! Thanks for the awesome idea! I was thinking of just using a 1 ounce liquor flask as a pan primer, but attaching a small dipper to the inside of the lid so that powder can be dished out. One question though, is it dangerous to store powder in a plastic container other than the ones that it comes in?

mykeal
May 8, 2012, 06:21 AM
No.

freedom475
May 8, 2012, 11:24 AM
Moisture can cause the sulfur and salt petre to oxidize with the brass.

Get yourself a Treso valve and get to work..they can be very nicely made. Here is one of the ones that I make

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/38694fa939f869f2a.jpg

Busyhands94
May 8, 2012, 06:38 PM
Oh wow! That is an awesome pan primer! I might just have to track down one of those valves!

BullRunBear
May 10, 2012, 06:24 AM
Freedom475,

Thanks for posting the photo. That's just the kind of home made item I want to make for my BP gear now that I'm retired. (And have time to correct the many mistakes I'll have during the process.) :rolleyes:

Jeff

freedom475
May 10, 2012, 09:12 AM
Thank you BullRun!

I used to make a lot of stuff like that. You may get a few more ideas from my old hotmail album..if it will open for you here is a link. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=37700c349c0618b4#!/?sc=photos&cid=37700c349c0618b4!cid=37700C349C0618B4&id=37700C349C0618B4%21109&sc=photos

If you enjoyed reading about "Just found my pan priming tool..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!