XDS in 9mm

PDA

J_McLeod
May 8, 2012, 10:35 PM
The XDS looked really attractive, but I prefer 9mm and 40, so I emailed Springfield asking about them last night. Got a reply within 12 hours stating that the XDS 9mm will be out later this year, but they don't currently have plans to make it in 40. An XDS 9mm might be the only thing I'd replace my PF9 with.

If you enjoyed reading about "XDS in 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
StrikeFire83
May 9, 2012, 12:03 AM
Interesting, but first I wanna see an XDS in 45 ACP!

bigfatdave
May 9, 2012, 07:27 PM
Interesting, but first I wanna see an XDS in 45 ACP! agreed - as far as I know the .45 isn't out in the wild yet in any meaningful numbers.

I also agree that the design is more appropriate for 9x19 - if I want a small, flat autoloader with somewhat low capacity, I'll strap on one of my two 1911a1 pistols built on officer frames - and I can just order one of those, as well as mags for them! (holsters, too, now that I think of it)
But in 9mm, nothing offers a grip safety as far as I know, and that's the only feature my Walther PPS lacks (or at least the only feature I'd add to it)

Madcap_Magician
May 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
I'd just be impressed to see an actual XDS in any caliber. SA got the smackdown from S&W on the single-stack subcompact releases. I'm sure they're equally good guns, but one company made enough to ship, and one didn't...

possum
May 12, 2012, 08:01 PM
even in 9mm, SA will have a tall order on their hands if they want to make a sub compact that is better than the Shield.

Plan2Live
May 12, 2012, 08:33 PM
I was almost smitten with the Shield but decided to wait until later this year and see what other single stacks are brought to market to compete with the Shield. I hope they offer the XDs with an extended mag option like the Shield does and I hope S&W starts offering the Shield in a version without the safety. It's not that I don't want the safety on the Shield but feel like the one they offer is too small to quickly and reliably manipulate under pressure so I would rather have the option of opting out of the safety. It will be interesting to see how the Austrian Perfectionists respond. The 1911a1 is still too large and heavy to be a true competator against the Shield or XDs. Enitrely different category of weapon, not bad, just different category. Now if you are stuck on the 1911 style, let's see how the Sig 938 performs.

Madcap_Magician
May 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
Really, S&W and SA are both playing tail-end Charlie to Kahr and Walther anyway. I think S&W at least has topped both of the latter.

C0untZer0
May 14, 2012, 02:39 PM
I think SA just made the decision to make their product announcement at SHOT Show and S&W took a pass on it and waited for the NRA show, but I do have to hand it to S&W, they actually release their product not long after their announcement. Ruger, Kel-Tec and Springfield Armory could learn a lot from S&W. If you look at how they rolled out the Shield - that's how ya do it!

jon_in_wv
May 31, 2012, 02:10 PM
Actually Ruger set the stage when they released the LCP at the Shot Show. I stopped by my local dealer on Monday and she ordered the LCP for me within a week or two if I remember correctly.

Orion8472
July 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
A little bit of an "old" thread, but I want to express my interest in the soon to be released XDS in 9mm. I saw a comparison video with an XDS [.45acp] and a Shield, and [although looks are subjective] thought the XDS looked MUCH better than the Shield. I also like the use of the grip safety. The 9mm version of the XDS may very well be my future carry gun. What I would LIKE to see is an extended magazine in the box, or even a pinky extension. Regardless, it will be one that makes me glad I held off on the Shield.

herkyguy
July 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
OH YEAH! I love the competition. It seems we started a few years back with .380 and slowly people started asking for smaller carry guns in more 'respectable' calibers. Now the big companies are starting to invest a lot in it. I too will hold out for the best single stack 9mm. But the way prices go, this may take a year or two before the prices stabilize.

Orion8472
July 22, 2012, 09:28 AM
Does anyone have an update on when these may hit the market?

TG13
July 22, 2012, 11:00 AM
they have been selling them for the last few weeks.. the XDs in .45acp is available.. SA just released an extended 7 round mag for it..

Orion8472
July 22, 2012, 11:16 AM
They've been selling WHAT for the last few weeks? A 9mm XDs?

KTXdm9
July 22, 2012, 04:34 PM
They've been selling WHAT for the last few weeks? A 9mm XDs?
.45. 9mm isn't out yet. OP stated SA estimated "later this year."

Quack
July 22, 2012, 04:36 PM
talking to them at SHOT, they were thinking about the 4th quarter of the year for the 9mm.

critter
July 22, 2012, 04:40 PM
I FINALLY got an XDs a week or so ago (.45). Dealer had it on order for months. Supplier got in only the ONE. I'm pretty impressed with it. It shoots really well, is very concealable and recoil is not as bad as I might have expected. I love the thing so far. Not a hiccup of any kind yet.

Came with 2 mags, a kydex paddle holster, an extra backstrap and extra pieces for the fiberoptic front sight should they be needed.

KTXdm9
July 22, 2012, 04:41 PM
talking to them at SHOT, they were thinking about the 4th quarter of the year for the 9mm.
So based on the .45 release, that means about a year from now? :neener:

Orion8472
July 22, 2012, 05:25 PM
I take "4th quarter of the year" to mean the end of THIS year. I really do hope so. In fact, they NEED to get it out sooner than even the 4th quarter of this year. The Shield is kinda dominating the market and a 9mm XDs needs to get on the shelves ASAP.

Quack
July 22, 2012, 05:34 PM
yep, meant this year, but who knows with SA.

The Shield will still dominate sales over the XDs-9

I'll still take a 1911/2011 over either of the 2.

Orion8472
July 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
Some of us are not able to conceal a 1911 type weapon, but the thin 9's fit better. I'd much rather carry a fuller size gun. . . . just not logistically do-able.

Jim PHL
July 22, 2012, 10:32 PM
It will be interesting when there is a 9mm XDs and a .45 Shield!

Orion8472
July 23, 2012, 11:30 AM
I will give a cudos to SA for making such a small pistol that chambers the big .45acp, so there is that. I suppose S&W could be worried about SA's small .45acp pistol on the market.

I hope to see even a .45acp XDs at some point. That will, at least, give me an idea of how it feels in the hand.

stonecutter2
July 23, 2012, 12:00 PM
I will give a cudos to SA for making such a small pistol that chambers the big .45acp, so there is that. I suppose S&W could be worried about SA's small .45acp pistol on the market.

I hope to see even a .45acp XDs at some point. That will, at least, give me an idea of how it feels in the hand.
I saw one Friday, and held it. Bought it on Saturday. Was the last of 3 that my dealer got. I can't wait to shoot it. I thought it felt great in my hand vs. the usual slim profile grips - really filled the palm, which I bet will help with control.

Orion8472
July 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
That's why I'm hoping they will release a 9mm version soon. I didn't like the feel of the Shield that I held, and am hoping to be able to hold an XDs to see if it works for me or not.

Hawkman
July 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
Love my XDS .45. Got the first one in the shop a couple of months ago, now they have two more in stock. Or did on Friday...

chrt396
July 23, 2012, 03:37 PM
I bought an SA XDs last saturday. I visited the range sunday..with a couple hundred rounds to plink with.

It's VERY concealable
The recoil is VERY light for a small polymer frame
It's EXTREMELY accurate!
I can SEE the sights!! OH JOY!!
You CAN buy a extended mag with pinky extension
It is a 45ACP!! Why get less..when the 45 is available? If you can shoot..you only need 1 good shot!

I love the gun. I bought an LCR .38 and it is uncomfortable to shoot any large amount of ammo at the range. The XDs, I could shoot 100 rounds and not even feel it! This is the perfect blend for..

easily concealable
45 ACP stopping power
Easy and soft to shoot

That's about ALL you could ask for in a weapon!

Skribs
July 23, 2012, 03:52 PM
It is a 45ACP!! Why get less..when the 45 is available? If you can shoot..you only need 1 good shot!

And God kills another kitten. The .45 is a pistol round. It sucks, too.

TarDevil
July 23, 2012, 04:25 PM
If you can shoot..you only need 1 good shot!

Kinda covers 'em all, eh?

Orion8472
July 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
Sent an email to Springfield Armory and received the following:

"Thank you for your email. I do anticipate that we will offer the XD-S in other calibers, however I do not know when or in what caliber. I would recommend checking back periodically with Customer Service."

Either "other calibers" are no where near being released, . . . or it was a canned response to keep secrets from getting out. Either way, . . . looks like it will be an undetermined amount of time to wait for an XDs in 9mm IF one is even in the works.

CPshooter
July 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
XDs 9mm > Shield 9mm if you ask me. I think once the 9mm is released they will start to chip away at S&W's market share. The XD is an amazing platform but it is somewhat chunky/heavy for being a polymer pistol. If they can cram all the features, ergos, and reliability into a small, thin 9mm then I believe it will start to dominate over the Shield and Walther PPS. Just my guesses though. I think it will be the hottest selling gun for 2013. Nothing about the M&P series has ever impressed me and I still think they feel cheap compared to the XD. The Walther PPS is nice, but the grip doesn't do much for me and they tend to be a little pricier than the competition right now.

Orion8472
July 24, 2012, 01:43 PM
I agree. When I held the Shield, I didn't feel wow-ed by quality. It was fine, and I would be fine having and carrying one. However, an XDs in 9mm would be my first choice. I don't know if SA reps get on forum boards to guage the public, but if they do, I hope they take note of this [and I'm sure other forums with this topic] and step up their production and release [if they are making one] of the XDs 9mm. It will sell!

bigfatdave
July 24, 2012, 02:45 PM
"Thank you for your email. I do anticipate that we will offer the XD-S in other calibers, however I do not know when or in what caliber. I would recommend checking back periodically with Customer Service."OK, I'll believe the "don't know when" part, but is the "don't know what caliber" really a mystery?
I'm imagining some guy spinning really fast in his office chair, answering EMails whwnever he gets too dizzy - "I dunno, maybe 9x18makarov and .22TCM would be fun in an XD(s), let's skip those silly 9x19luger and fo-tay cartridges, everyone is already doing those!

The Walther PPS is nice, but the grip doesn't do much for me and they tend to be a little pricier than the competition right nowOdd, the PPS fits me like it was made for me, and I have big monstery hands. Also, as a FYI, prices on the PPS have been drifting down, as far as real-world prices go. Magazines are still painfully expensive, though.

Bush Pilot
July 24, 2012, 11:19 PM
So based on the .45 release, that means about a year from now? :neener:
They'll be released in conjunction with the Glock carbine.

J_McLeod
July 25, 2012, 11:02 PM
Sent an email to Springfield Armory and received the following:

"Thank you for your email. I do anticipate that we will offer the XD-S in other calibers, however I do not know when or in what caliber. I would recommend checking back periodically with Customer Service."

Either "other calibers" are no where near being released, . . . or it was a canned response to keep secrets from getting out. Either way, . . . looks like it will be an undetermined amount of time to wait for an XDs in 9mm IF one is even in the works.
Here's the email I got from Springfield when I started this thread.

"Hi John,

Thank you for your interest in Springfield Armory Products. The XD-s will be available later this month in .45ACP and the 9mm will be out later this year. I do not know of any plans at this time for the XD-s in .40. If you have any other questions please give me a call at 1-800-680-6866 ext 8996.

Thank you,

Dealer Assistance and Response Team

Springfield Inc

420 West Main St

Geneseo, IL 61254

1-800-680-6866 "

Orion8472
July 25, 2012, 11:21 PM
Seems we both got two different answers to the same question. Which one was more correct? I guess we'll find out in time.

Orion8472
July 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
Called SA customer service at lunch. Got the same reply as J_McLeod. I hope it is true. I think it will be an excellent sized carry gun.

Orion8472
August 2, 2012, 11:08 AM
Finally got to hold a Springfield Armory XDs. After that, I am definitely going to wait until the 9mm XDs comes out. It felt a lot better in my hand than the S&W Shield did. Pointed very well, . . . handle felt good, . . . looks like it will conceal excellently, . . . trigger is very good, . . . sights are quite usable, . . . . and it looks excellent!

The 9mm version can't come out quick enough!!! :(

wally
August 4, 2012, 01:38 PM
agreed - as far as I know the .45 isn't out in the wild yet in any meaningful numbers.

Saw four sell at $599+tax at this morning's Gun Show at the GRB in about the first hour. Demand seems really high, Only other one I saw was the two tone for $639 and it was still there when I left.

Didn't see a single Shield in either 9mm or .40S&W although a lot of folks were asking about them.

Seems both companies have hits on their hands.

The Beretta Nano languished at $380 (saw several at that price) and the SIG P938 didn't seem to be attracting much interest at ~$ 780-840, saw four or five variations.

CPshooter
August 4, 2012, 01:51 PM
Yesterday, when I went to pick up my new g26, I started BSing with the guys that worked there and the XDs came up in the conversation. He said the holster that comes with the .45 also says /9/.40 on it. There will be a 9mm and a .40. Also said that he's sold about 12 of them and everyone says it shoots like a full-size gun. Very good feedback.

CTGunner
August 4, 2012, 02:01 PM
He said the holster that comes with the .45 also says /9/.40 on it.

This is correct. I have an XDs that I purchased last week and the back of the holster indicates for .45/9mm/and .40.

I would not go as far as saying that the XDs shoots like a full size gun but it is much more controllable than I expected. I really like it for carry - it's only limitation is capacity and at this point mag and holster availability.

I love the gun. I bought an LCR .38 and it is uncomfortable to shoot any large amount of ammo at the range. The XDs, I could shoot 100 rounds and not even feel it! This is the perfect blend for..

Me too - the LCR .38 is good for pocket carry but I don't like to shoot it. I really purchased my XDs to replace it. I am 2x as accurate with the XDs, I'm more confident in the cartridge, and it offers an extra round.

76shuvlinoff
August 4, 2012, 06:15 PM
Been using the XD platform for years. XD40 service, XD45 when it first came out (that was a hunk-o-gun) finally landed on the XD40sc.... and I still think it's a block. These days I mostly carry an LCP but I am really looking forward to a single stack 9mm XD and see how it stands up to "other" ie Kahr offerings and the LC9

bigfatdave
August 4, 2012, 07:14 PM
wally, that quote is from May 9, 2012 ... and the 45s are still hard to find in the wild, but they're more out there than they were in early May. I've seen a few online, and one at the SA shop during the national matches, but none in the LGS and the ones online sell out in hours, if not minutes.

wally
August 4, 2012, 11:49 PM
My point was, they are selling pretty much as fast as they can make them!

At the gun show this morning, there was no hemming & hawing, or walking around to see if someone had them for less, just "I'll take it".

bigfatdave
August 5, 2012, 12:26 AM
that was my response at the SA shop - it was not only not for sale but constantly manned to prevent damage (theft would be unlikely in that setting)

if I spot one in a LGS at comparable prices to online, I'll just buy it, probably. A .45acp gun the Mrs likes is worth it.

Orion8472
August 5, 2012, 11:23 AM
I picked up another one [.45acp version] yesterday. It really is settled at this point. Sits very low in the hand and the grip is just about perfect for my hand. Again. . . . they can't get on the market quick enough.

zeke
August 7, 2012, 08:51 PM
Was at gun shop last week and couldn't pass up on that small looking 45 acp under the glass. It was a xds 45 acp. Works very well with standard velocity, had some problems with plus p, till the front bottom lip of the mag base was trimmed to not stick out. Gun transfers a lot of force up, instead of straighter back. Very accurate for such a small 45, but takes some concentration to hold on to.

Orion8472
August 8, 2012, 08:55 AM
Yeah, . . . I won't do one in .45acp. I'm sure you'll get used to it with enough rounds downrange.

J White
August 12, 2012, 10:54 PM
Hello, I am new to the site. Torn between the xds .45 and the shield. Or wait for the 9mm xds to come out. What is the main reason to get a 9mm over the .45acp other than capacity?

Orion8472
August 13, 2012, 08:41 AM
I imagine the 9mm would be more controlable. 9mm practice ammo is less in price.

For me, I don't have any guns that shoot .45acp, . . . and not wanting to get into another caliber, the 9mm version [when it comes out] is my only choice.

benzy2
August 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
I don't get all the fuss over a single stack 9mm. They have been available from one source or another for a long time. So have single stack .45s. I haven't noticed any of the slimmer double stack options being hard to conceal, certainly not to the point that a single stack would have worked when a double stack didn't. I also find the double stacks fit my hand better. The M&P 9c with the large back strap is perfect for my hand. I wear moderately form fitting clothing, nothing spandex like but nothing that balloons out either. I have yet to have a problem that a m&p 9c or glock 26 or XD SC would print but a shield or kahr pm9 wouldn't have also printed.

For those interested in the XDS 45/40/9, why are these single stacks such a draw? There are currently a few quality single stacks available in those calibers with little hype following them today. Is there some feature set I'm missing? I've tried pocket carrying and the biggest pistol that would fit and draw from any of my pockets was an LCP. From there, everything is in a holster (and even the LCP was benefited greatly by holster carry). Wouldn't a proper holster be a bigger concern to conceal carry than the 0.25" width difference(difference between shield and 9c)? Is 0.25" worth giving up 6 rounds of 9 or 5 rounds of .45? I know the XDS is a smaller platform than the XDcompact but the XDS9 to the subcompact and the S&W compact to shield comparisons aren't much different in size but quite a bit different in capacity. The XDS45 is the only one that I could start to justify, since it really is a bit smaller all around than the other XD 45 options.

Skribs
August 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
With my pockets, I could theoretically (and tested it) pocket carry a XDm compact. The problem was the weight. Sacrificing bullets means you're losing weight, and that is actually kind of attractive.

Personally, I'm right now looking for a combo (as mentioned in another thread) of a double-stack for IWB or OWB carry, and a single stack for pocket carry, preferably same caliber and definitely with same controls and trigger style. Honestly, at this point, it's looking like XDm and XDs are going to be the way to go, so you can imagine my desire for more caliber options.

ETA:

Did a quick Google search, someone on another forum (think it was defensive carry) said the response was "potentially fall/winter". Can't verify legitimacy.

Orion8472
August 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
benzy, my issue with many of the other single stack 9mm pistols is the DAO trigger. I don't like them. Don't like their feel.

With that said, if I felt I could conceal a Glock 19 well enough, I would. Just don't know if many of my clothing options would keep from printing it. . . . thus the thin 9mm like the [eventual] XDs.

TheotherJohn
August 14, 2012, 09:41 PM
I have an xds (45) on lay away. :neener: I'll probably pick up a 9mm version next year. I really like the quality they built into it.

VA27
August 14, 2012, 10:44 PM
Meh. I've held the XDs. It's HUGE compared to all the really fine pocket nines and 40s that are on the market. Someone build a P290/PM40/Nano in 45 (ACP or GAP) and I'll buy a couple.

intercooler
August 14, 2012, 11:50 PM
XDS 10mm would be a ton of fun :what:

VA27
August 15, 2012, 10:12 PM
XDS 10mm would be a ton of fun :what:

I like the way you think!

Skribs
August 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
Meh. I've held the XDs. It's HUGE compared to all the really fine pocket nines and 40s that are on the market. Someone build a P290/PM40/Nano in 45 (ACP or GAP) and I'll buy a couple.

I see it as a good thing. Bit more of a grip means a bit less of a sting. This is also one of the few single-stacks I've seen besides railed 1911s to include a light rail. Not that I'd pocket carry it with a rail, but gives you the option should you want to add something to it.

Orion8472
August 16, 2012, 08:07 AM
I don't see the XDs being "huge, compared to other pocket nines". It may be a little bigger, but not by much. Comparing to the Shield, in fact, it seems similar if not somewhat smaller in an aspect or two.

When they come out, I don't plan on pocket carry anyway. Just something smaller for IWB, so for me, its size is very nice.

CPshooter
August 16, 2012, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I wasn't seeing it either. When I saw the word "HUGE" I :scrutiny: right away. Pretty sure the XDs is right on par with the other guns in its size category (PPS, Shield, Nano, PM45, etc). There is no practical difference in size between all the guns mentioned there. You're not going to pocket carry any of them and they are all around 0.9" thick and 4.4" tall. Those are the only dimensions that matter when talking IWB concealed carry and all those guns will feel the same.

The grip itself looks like it might be longer from front to back though because of the .45 cartridge. I haven't held one yet, but if this is the case I already know I'll like it. When the grip gets thin, I need it to be a little longer to compensate and allow my fingers to get the joints in the right spots. For example, I can't do the little grip circumference of a 9mm/.40 Kahr and the last thing I'll do is put a rubber wrap-around grip on a carry weapon because it could stick on a shirt. Maybe this is what VA27 was saying and perhaps he/she didn't like it because it didn't fit the hand?

Dreamliner787
August 16, 2012, 09:13 AM
Will the 9mm prices be lower than the 45? The 45 is over priced IMO.

bigfatdave
August 16, 2012, 09:54 AM
Will the 9mm prices be lower than the 45? The 45 is over priced IMO. are you referring to MSRP or real-world prices on the 45?

Skribs
August 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
You're not going to pocket carry any of them and they are all around 0.9" thick and 4.4" tall. Those are the only dimensions that matter when talking IWB concealed carry and all those guns will feel the same.

I will pocket carry it.

colorado_handgunner
August 18, 2012, 09:27 AM
I really wanted an xds in 9 until I got a kahr cw9. The grip and trigger are so much better for me than my two xd's, and I am a sucker for stainless. But to each his own.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

flatlander937
August 18, 2012, 09:37 AM
I really wanted an xds in 9 until I got a kahr cw9. The grip and trigger are so much better for me than my two xd's, and I am a sucker for stainless. But to each his own.

Funny, I just did almost the exact same thing:p I was looking for a S&W Shield but nobody has one, I like the XDS but only available in .45... I was kind of really wanting a 9mm for cheaper shooting and it wouldn't kick so much so I'd practice more. Ended up looking at Kahrs...

Watching some comparisons on Youtube of the Kahr CW9 and Shield made me seek out the Kahr.

My local gun store had a CM9 in stock(smaller in every dimension)... so I bought it along with an extended magazine... which is awesome! It is incredibly controllable with the extended mag, and I can still shoot it just about as well with the flush magazine(albeit it does feel awkward to me with my pinky under the mag).

Very happy with my decision... doesn't mean I won't try to find and fondle an XDS in 9mm if/when I find one and they're available:evil:

CTGunner
August 18, 2012, 10:20 AM
On top of a Glock 19
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1X1tb6fet_A/UBQcauzUBnI/AAAAAAAAAUw/pqL823bG0D4/s912/DSC01080.JPG

Side-by-Side with a Glock 19
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-C7UkIV4zxGo/UBQcf_MSSEI/AAAAAAAAAU4/dNoGEAa5wyw/s912/DSC01081.JPG

In my opinion the XDs (.45) is a great firearm but it's not a pocket pistol.

I have always been interested in Kahr but it's one of the few brands I haven't ever purchased because I hear very mixed reviews on reliability.

There are more side-by-side photos here www.operationswift.com with other guns of similar size.

benzy2
August 18, 2012, 10:57 PM
I will pocket carry it.

I'd love to see a video of how it carries for you and how well it draws. I can't see it working well unless you wear a parachute for pants.

Skribs
August 18, 2012, 11:45 PM
I'd love to see a video of how it carries for you and how well it draws. I can't see it working well unless you wear a parachute for pants.

Well, it's gotta be better than my XDm compact, which I have pocket carried.

If you enjoyed reading about "XDS in 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!