Opinions of the Walther PPQ

PDA

wow6599
May 9, 2012, 10:12 PM
Just wondering what folks think of the PPQ. I have one in 9mm and think very highly of it.....so much so that I think it's the best poly 9 for the price, maybe at any price. Yeah, I hate that mags cost around $50 (I know about $30 Baby Eagle mags) and there isn't a whole lot of aftermarket stuff for them yet - but I think it's a really great firearm. Anyone else have an opinion?

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions of the Walther PPQ" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gym
May 9, 2012, 11:32 PM
Nice gun I just handled one, I didn't need another gun that size but if I was in the market for a new compact to fullsize gun I would probablly buy it. I needed a LC9 for pocket carry.

balance 740
May 9, 2012, 11:42 PM
Anyone else have an opinion?

I do.

This is my opinion:

I have one in 9mm and think very highly of it.....so much so that I think it's the best poly 9 for the price, maybe at any price. Yeah, I hate that mags cost around $50 (I know about $30 Baby Eagle mags) and there isn't a whole lot of aftermarket stuff for them yet - but I think it's a really great firearm.

:D

The design seems to be reliable, durable, and accurate, and since they managed to combine one of the best grips on a polymer pistol, with one of the best triggers on a polymer pistol, most people I've heard from who have shot one, have found that it is a very easy pistol to shoot.

soapboxpreacher
May 10, 2012, 01:47 AM
Have one, extremely accurate for a 4" barrel polygun in fact it is the most accurate I have shot in that length. Trigger is amazing, love the ambi mag and extended slide release however it has a good amount more muzzle flip. Factory sights are junk and a plastic recoil guide assembly. But as I have said it shoots circles around any other polygun I have ever shot.

wow6599
May 10, 2012, 09:51 AM
it has a good amount more muzzle flip

I agree. It reminds me a lot of they way the M&P in 357 Sig shoots, as far as muzzle jump.
As far as the plastic sights go.....they are being replaced with Trijicons, so not an issue with me.

Thaddeus Jones
May 10, 2012, 01:17 PM
The nicest polymer striker fired pistol out there. The only one I liked enough to buy as well.

The PPQ has a very nice trigger - right out of the box - with no added hassle or expense of aftermarket parts.

The PPQ is also an inherently accurate pistol. I strongly recommend it to folks looking for a striker fired polymer gun. TJ

plouffedaddy
May 10, 2012, 01:20 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC00831.jpg

My opinion--great gun with one big flaw that has already been mentioned---a lot of muzzle flip. Here's my full review:

http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/2012/01/walther-ppq-9mm-review.html

Fishbed77
May 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
The nicest polymer striker fired pistol out there.

You forgot to add ", after the P99AS." to the end of your sentence. ;)

Seriously, though, you can't do better then the PPQ/P99AS if you are looking for a polymer-framed striker-fired pistol.

Fishbed77
May 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
it has a good amount more muzzle flip.

I don't find the 9mm version of the P99/PPQ to have any more muzzle flip than other similar-sized polymer guns (Glock 19, Ruger SR9, etc).

The .40 S&W chambering is a different story though - it is a little "flippy". People like to cite the "high bore axis"" of the design as the reason for this, but I don't buy this - the bore axis of the P99/PPQ isn't really that high - it just appears so because of the sloped shape of the sides of the slide. I think the real reason is how lightweight the gun is overall - if I'm not mistaken, it is the lightest of all full-size service pistols.

Factory sights are junk and a plastic recoil guide assembly.

I see no problems with the sights. Glocks have polymer plastic sights standard, as do many other service pistols. The Walther sights are adjustable, which some folks complain about, but I've never heard of them breaking. They seem to be a much sturdier design than the target-style sights many people think of when they hear the word "adjustable". That said, they are easily replaced with the very nice steel night sights made by Meprolight (or the chunkier ones made by Trijicon).

Likewise, the polymer recoil guiderod has been used for over 15 years in the P99, and I've never heard of one breaking. I did see a post for one breaking in an early PPQ, but it appeared to be out-of-spec.

On the other hand, when searching for a broken steel guide rod, it only took about two seconds to find this with Google:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pps/18759-broken-b-t-premium-guide-rod.html

YJake
May 10, 2012, 08:38 PM
I bought one and love it. It is the only plastic gun I'll ever own and I'm not ashamed to admit that I own it. I have sent 350 rounds through it composed of NATO, Russian junk, WWB, Rem. UMC, Georgia Arms 115 and 124grn HP loads, Hornady XTPs, and it has never jammed.

The PPQ just keeps asking for more, and continues to provide excellent accuracy.

You can't buy a better striker fired plastic handgun.

(Edit) Dropped the gun on a tile floor having it land on its front sight from at least 4' before ever firing it. Barely flattened a corner of the plastic sight and still shoots to POA.

-Jake

Chuck R.
May 10, 2012, 08:51 PM
Iíve got 2 in 9mm and have shot them right alongside a G19 and an S&W M&P, with the same ammo, and I also find there to be noticeable more ďflipĒ with the PPQ. We passed one of mine around at our local IDPA match and most of the guys noticed it. I suspect itís a combination of the bore axis, the grip angle, and the light weight lower.

Itís not uncontrollable by any means, but itís there. Just what affect it has depends on what kind of shooting youíre doing and whether or not the other advantages outweigh this one characteristic. I find I just canít shoot the PPQ as fast as some of my other pistols.

For a CCW gun, itís on the large side for my taste, but itís only slightly larger and heavier than a G19 and lots of folks carry those. The trigger is very, very good for a plastic gun, but not quite in the league of a 1911, or SIG due to the take-up. The ergonomics are excellent, but the long slide release can cause you grief IF youíre a thumbs forward guy. I have to keep reminding myself to get my thumb away from the release, and inadvertently went of pre-mature slide lock 3 times in one match. Reliability with both of mine has been excellent so far. Accuracy is very, very good, the trigger really helps and the grip seems to fit like a glove.

I donít mind the sights at all, I do wish the rear notch was just a little smaller, but itís something I can/do live with.

For a match pistol, I think there are better choices. While I like the mag release, it really is superior once youíre used to it, I like something with more weight and a longer sight radius. For the ďone gunĒ sort of guy, it really is a good option.

Overall, itís an excellent pistol at its price point.

Chuck

Morgo
May 10, 2012, 10:37 PM
Picked one up earlier in the year, great shooter :)

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp4/brycemorgan452/IMG_4077.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions of the Walther PPQ" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!