My local AMC Theater's new sign??

PDA

BCCL
May 9, 2012, 11:47 PM
Went to see the "Avengers" tonight, and found a sign just like this one that wasn't there a few weeks ago.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m103/Bear_Claw_Chris_Lappe/NoWeapons.jpg

Found it a little odd, since we don't have CC in Illinois yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "My local AMC Theater's new sign??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skribs
May 10, 2012, 12:05 AM
Do you have OC in Illinois?

BCCL
May 10, 2012, 12:09 AM
Nope, we're working hard for CC, but currently have no real form of carrying of a loaded gun.

AZ
May 10, 2012, 12:20 AM
I know that in CA you are allowed to open carry an unloaded firearm, perhaps they were trying to keep even that from happening.

Robert
May 10, 2012, 12:23 AM
I know that in CA you are allowed to open carry an unloaded firearm,
Uh no you are not. In fact it is now illegal:
http://californiaopencarry.org/faq.html

bhesler
May 10, 2012, 12:26 AM
I saw the same sign at an AMC in NJ a few weeks ago. No real carry for average citizens here either, so I had a little chuckle about it, then unclipped my knife, stuck it in my pocket and entered.

badger54
May 10, 2012, 12:52 AM
I've seen them on theaters downtown but I can't remember what company owned the theater. I'm suppposed to go to the amc theater at the mall tonight I will keep am eye open for a sign.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Skribs
May 10, 2012, 12:54 AM
I'll have to check the one near where I live. It'll suck if they have it, cuz those are comfy seats!

BemidjiDweller
May 10, 2012, 12:59 AM
I used to work at an AMC theater, and the company policy while I was there (2 or 3 years ago) was to have "no guns allowed" signs up. The one I worked at had some trouble with gangs and such and had signs up before AMC bought out the original theater.

mrvco
May 10, 2012, 01:07 AM
Wow, they should define "weapon".

ApacheCoTodd
May 10, 2012, 01:50 AM
Went to see the "Avengers" tonight, and found a sign just like this one that wasn't there a few weeks ago.

Where's the confusion? They simply want potential criminals to know that they are not allowed to bring their firearms in should they choose this establishment for their societally deviant behavior.

I for one would feel grateful that the management was so concerned for my safety that they purchased this powerful $2.00 law enforcement tool.

Good golly - I'm so moved by this show of passive defense that I think I'll have one made for my car stating "No Slim-jims" and "no slide-hammers" then I can throw away my "CLUB" and finally disconnect that pesky alarm.

firesky101
May 10, 2012, 05:15 AM
good point mrvco

I own tools not weapons. I probably slip from time to time and call them such, but they are tools with a purpose (some of their purpose is to be shiny, hey it is still a purpose).

Saakee
May 10, 2012, 05:31 AM
I used to work at an AMC theater, and the company policy while I was there (2 or 3 years ago) was to have "no guns allowed" signs up. The one I worked at had some trouble with gangs and such and had signs up before AMC bought out the original theater.
And a sign stopped the gang problems? Wow.

Quiet
May 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
Where's the confusion? They simply want potential criminals to know that they are not allowed to bring their firearms in should they choose this establishment for their societally deviant behavior.

http://www.common-sense-politics.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/guns-sociopath-gun-free-zone-poster.jpg

BCCL
May 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
^LOL

Flame Red
May 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
Just like any other place that posts such foolishness, they lost my business.

BlueRays are better. No idiots talking, coughing and sneezing on you, or releasing odors, no cell phones ringing, no tooth suckers. I prefer my home made popcorn and drinks to their $12 price anyway...

ForumSurfer
May 10, 2012, 10:42 AM
On a side note, when I saw The Avengers with my son, I was shocked to see a Vickers commercial just before the movie.

gunnysmith
May 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
Headline should read:

AMC creates another "Killing Zone"

Robert
May 10, 2012, 11:02 AM
Keep it gun related and heck, maybe come up with a plan of action to let AMC know how we as responsible gun owners feel about their policy.

Spartacus
May 10, 2012, 11:52 AM
A no gun sign seems a bit redundant for IL. In Indiana, signs do not hold the "authority of the law", but if asked to leave you must do so or you could be charged with trespass.

Skribs
May 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
I'm actually wondering if this is in response to the story a few years back where someone was talking during a movie, and the man in front of him got up, shot him, and sat back down to enjoy the rest of the film.

newbuckeye
May 10, 2012, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure which theater we used to go to that has the sign (which does carry the force of law here), but I know our local "Rave" theater does not have any signs. I've taken my kids to 4 movies this month there to support them.

OurSafeHome.net
May 10, 2012, 12:05 PM
The icon clearly shows that snubby revolvers with a hammer are prohibited.

Good thing the snubby revolver that I carry to the movies is hammerless!

Owen Sparks
May 10, 2012, 12:20 PM
Call the theater and tell them why you and your kids are not coming back. Get a few buddies to do the same. If they get enough calls the sign will come down.

SaxonPig
May 10, 2012, 12:31 PM
Could be corporate policy and all theaters across the country got a sign, not just IL.

Time for a letter writing campaign and boycott.

Vonderek
May 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
I think it is a nationwide corporate policy as I see the signs in one form or another th the theaters here in Florida. And I have been seeing more of them lately at other establishments. The other day at the credit union I saw a guy with a ski mask and a paper sack stop mid-stride, read the notice, and return to his car, obviously off in search of easier pickings. It's magical how well these talismans work.

1KPerDay
May 10, 2012, 01:38 PM
Dang, guess I can't pay 12 bucks for a ticket and 8 bucks for crappy, hydrogenated oil-soaked popcorn and sit watching an out-of-focus series of commercials while morons kick the back of my seat, talk, and text their idiotic friends about how ossum teh movee iz.

Shucks.

Devilfrog
May 10, 2012, 02:04 PM
They have those signs in their Florida theaters too, but they hold no legal weight here. I just walk in & watch the movie I paid to see with my trusty tool by my side. All within the law.

altitude_19
May 10, 2012, 02:26 PM
Saw them in Iowa too. Whipped out my sooper phone to google whether they carried the weight of law there. They don't. I expended the gift card we had for the theatre, ignored the sign, and won't go back to spend my own money until they change this absurd policy. Anybody got an address to write corporate?

gopguy
May 10, 2012, 03:04 PM
They have the signs up in theaters in Ohio but at the one I go to most often it is on tinted glass by the exit not the entrance... Quite hard to see, I am sure most folks miss it.

BemidjiDweller
May 10, 2012, 03:04 PM
And a sign stopped the gang problems? Wow.
Nope, not one bit. It slowed down a bit when we started to hire off duty sheriffs to walk around the lobby and outside.

HGUNHNTR
May 10, 2012, 03:37 PM
I would beging by calling the AMC headquarters and request to leave a message with the CEO, as well as the director of marketing.

Pilot
May 10, 2012, 04:02 PM
Could these signs at varying private businesses around the country be about liability? If someone has an ND or shoots someone when legally concealed carrying the movie theater or BWW, etc could claim that you were willfully violating their policy. Just a thought.

Texan Scott
May 10, 2012, 04:10 PM
Texas has a specific piece of legislation to cover this... the sign must carry specific legal language, be properly placed, and of a certain minimum size, or it carries no force of law. As mentioned previously, if the management sees it and asks you to leave, you have to leave (trespass law), but if you're carrying in compliance with CCW requirements, they'll never know about it, will they? If you're NOT keeping it concealed from view, not getting to finish the movie won't be the worst thing to happen to you that evening...
This is why Wal-Mart has signs that babble legal stuff about unlicensed possession of firearms being a crime on their premises, as if it isn't everywhere else (duh)... it makes unthinking, vaguely anti-gun types think they don't allow guns in the store, without infringing upon the rights, or offending the sensibilities, of educated, law-abiding, CCW-licensed gun owners.

Panzercat
May 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
I'm sure we all remember this story from a few months back (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/29/iraq-war-veteran-wife-assaulted-outside-florida-theater-teen-mob/). Because you would never need a firearm at a movie theater, right?

As a side note, There are more than a few places- Like Harkins for example -that have an unwritten firearms policy. They won't post it, but if you're seen carrying (openly, I'd imagine), they'll ask you to leave as I understand it... To which there is a very simple solution, at least here in AZ (http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf) :)

Vonderek
May 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
Could these signs at varying private businesses around the country be about liability?
Bingo.

langenc
May 10, 2012, 06:52 PM
I have seen a no guns list of business that dont allow CC.

It seems like that theater chain was on that list.

So if they ask you to leave do you fet your admission back?? I didnt see the sign, esp since it just went up.

EddieNFL
May 10, 2012, 08:04 PM
Nope, not one bit. It slowed down a bit when we started to hire off duty sheriffs to walk around the lobby and outside.

Not while carrying guns, I hope. That would be awful hypocritical...and dangerous.

The_Next_Generation
May 10, 2012, 08:11 PM
Why don't we ALL make a call to AMC about this?

If all of us called in, that could make a difference..although they dont seem to have a national toll-free number. They do have an email on this page for "general comments": http://www.amctheatres.com/contact

Heck, they're based in Atlanta, GA where I'm going to school (Georgia Tech) in a few months..

- TNG

Stevie-Ray
May 11, 2012, 12:37 AM
It's not legal here anyway. A theatre that has 2500 seats is a CEZ in Michigan. I think ALL our AMCs have that, as you need to add all screens in the mix and most of the AMCs have a bunch in the complex. Just our smaller local theatres are legal.

seeker_two
May 11, 2012, 07:22 AM
Texan Scott: Like I always say...
what they don't know won't hurt you...

mgkdrgn
May 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
I'm sure the sign stopped all the gang trouble, right?

BemidjiDweller
May 11, 2012, 01:30 PM
I'm sure the sign stopped all the gang trouble, right?

wannabeagunsmith
May 11, 2012, 04:43 PM
The workers there must be starved for some real action thus hoping to be taken hostage and to witness first-hand a SWAT team rescue just like in the movies lol.

Don357
May 11, 2012, 06:59 PM
"by Badger54: I've seen them on theaters downtown but I can't remember what company owned the theater. I'm suppposed to go to the amc theater at the mall tonight I will keep am eye open for a sign."

Badger, you better check the door on the mall too, I visited a mall in Memphis TN, with a big "NO FIREARMS" sign on the mall entry door. How Rude!

Ludasmith
May 12, 2012, 12:13 AM
I don't think it stops the troublemakers as much as it gives them something to point to and say "Leave." You're dealing with minimum wage employees most of the time, it has to be dumbed down for everyone involved.

lono
May 12, 2012, 11:37 PM
I carry everywhere expect government buildings. Concealed means concealed. I figure if I ever have to draw my weapon there will be much larger things to worry about than the business not wanting me to carry.

DonP
May 13, 2012, 01:51 AM
I live in Illinois too and I've seen those signs on several stores, even in Chicago.

One manager I asked said the company orders them to put them up, mainly for liability purposes. Everybody gets a sign and everybody has to put it up.

It's stupid, but remember this is being done by corporate lawyers, so you can't expect much.

Skribs
May 13, 2012, 06:31 AM
AMC Lowes near where I live (Lakewood, WA towne center for anyone in the area) did NOT have a no weapons sign that I saw.

But I had my LCP, not my SP101, so by that picture I woulda been fine anyway ;).

hardluk1
May 13, 2012, 03:01 PM
Remember in many states if you pay a fee to enter a place what ever reason where people gather you can not carry. Ball parks, fairs, theater and the likes. Plus many theaters sell beer now.

Owen Sparks
May 13, 2012, 03:02 PM
Call and ask.

altitude_19
May 13, 2012, 05:43 PM
Remember in many states if you pay a fee to enter a place what ever reason where people gather you can not carry.
How many states? This statement seems poorly quantified. Here in NE, you can't carry to sporting events...admission fee or not.

justice06rr
May 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
So does that mean your arms and legs are not allowed? Because they can be deadly weapons too! :D

Warp
May 14, 2012, 12:00 AM
Remember in many states if you pay a fee to enter a place what ever reason where people gather you can not carry. Ball parks, fairs, theater and the likes. Plus many theaters sell beer now.

Huh?

What states would that be?

pockets
May 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
Huh? What states would that be?
Not Georgia.
It does vary by state....I'd have to look up more, one I can think of offhand is North Carolina; NCGS 14-269.3(a) - It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Perhaps that has changed.

Warp
May 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
Not Georgia.
It does vary by state....I'd have to look up more, one I can think of offhand is North Carolina; NCGS 14-269.3(a) - It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Perhaps that has changed.

If you don't mind, could you please look up some more?

North Carolina is the one and only state that I have ever heard of having that law.

hardluk1
May 14, 2012, 07:43 PM
Use google and look at up your self. We are suppose to know the laws for carry'n in your state and others that you my travel too. Figure it out for your self. Go to US carry look up your state and start reading. I just checked 3 states I question and all were close to the same with restrictions around sporting events or places where alcohol is avalible.

newbuckeye
May 15, 2012, 11:34 AM

Now there's a law I've never heard of. Can you cite any state laws that support that?

Warp
May 15, 2012, 02:36 PM
newbuckeye: I think we established that North Carolina has a law like this (damn Yankees) but they are the only ones.

newbuckeye
May 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
newbuckeye: I think we established that North Carolina has a law like this (damn Yankees) but they are the only ones.

I think I replied before I finished reading....:banghead:

SaxonPig
May 17, 2012, 12:45 AM
Went to an AMC multiplex outside New Orleans tonight and there were no signs that I saw.

hardluk1
May 17, 2012, 12:06 PM
Saxonpig Our theater does not need to post . Its simple agaist the law and we responsible to no where we can and can't. Now if its legal where your at but they don't want firearms there they can post it they wish. But in some cases it still up to you to under stand where you can and can't go.

Old Fuff
May 17, 2012, 12:32 PM
I haven't been to a movie theater in decades.

We are almost to the point of where the admission price will mostly pay for a DVD, and the only advantage that's left for the theaters that I can see is that they get to show the popular blockbusters first. Personally I'm in no hurry.

Now that the Internet offers streaming video the DVD era may be coming to an end, and movie theaters might not be far behind.

I would point this out to theater management, along with the observation that the more dangerous and criminally inclined can easy ignore the sign because as a practical matter "concealed means concealed." On the other hand those who are offended by the signs represent a net loss of business. Removing the signs will have no affect on criminals and potential trouble maker's and might result in a slight increase in business from patrons who are on the other side of the coin.

If they aren’t interested… well that’s they’re business.

CountryUgly
May 21, 2012, 10:36 AM
Got a new reason to Boycott this chain. They sold the chain to China and their wonderful government for 2.8 billion dollars yesterday. I wonder if them working on this deal was the reasons the signs started going up.

thefish
May 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
The chain wasn't sold to the Chinese government, it was sold to a privately held Chinese company.

CountryUgly
May 21, 2012, 11:02 AM
The chain wasn't sold to the Chinese government, it was sold to a privately held Chinese company.
We all know nothing is privately held in China it is a commie country you know.......

mr.scott
May 21, 2012, 04:31 PM
It's to be expected. The Chinese own AMC now. They don't care. It also means no more AMC for me. Not that I went to the movies a lot anyways, but it looks like cinematic or nothing.

CZguy
May 21, 2012, 05:23 PM
I'm glad that you guys posted that AMC is owned by a Chinese company. I try to only patronise company's that are pro gun.

Neverwinter
May 21, 2012, 05:28 PM
We all know nothing is privately held in China it is a commie country you know.......
You're probably thinking about pre-cultural revolution China.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Sky
May 21, 2012, 05:32 PM
AMC is now owned by a Chinese Corp. They are going to modernize and try to make some money; guess we could write chairman what's His Name?....

Maybe we will get some good Kung Fu movies now?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/story/2012-05-21/china-company-buys-amc-movie-theater-chain/55106114/1

SaxonPig
May 21, 2012, 07:03 PM
hardluk1- Of course laws will vary from state to state. I am currently visiting Louisiana and here carry in a theater is legal. Don't know if a no guns sign would be legal. Some states allow such postings and others do not.

BTW- Went to a different AMC theater and it was posted. I ignored the sign simply out of convenience.

ApacheCoTodd
May 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
Well, I guess the sign and policy are not issues now for me. None of my money goes directly to Chicoms when I can help it.

Omaney
May 21, 2012, 07:34 PM
I was at AMC Saturday. No sign. The OPs sign is virtually meaningless in TX anyway as a weapons prohibition sign needs to be of a specific format here. BTW The Hunger Games is pretty good.

303tom
May 22, 2012, 12:38 AM
There is no privately held companies in Communist China................

7.62 Nato
May 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
Chinese Firm Buying AMC Movie Theater Chain

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/21/153197457/chinese-firm-buying-amc-movie-theater-chain

JTHunter
May 22, 2012, 12:55 AM
Considering how long it has been since I have gone "out" to a movie, it doesn't affect me much.
However, I will remember this and choose accordingly.:rolleyes:

skeeziks
May 22, 2012, 12:59 AM
They also have a sign saying "No outside food or beverages allowed," but I always bring my own candy anyway.

Oh...I almost forgot. BTW, I never patronize an AMC theater because they are totally anti-gun!
I think I read that they donate funds to the anti-gun groups, or something.
I usually go to my local town theater or a Regal Cinema.

JohnnyK
May 22, 2012, 01:17 AM
AMC was bought out by Chinese company... now, all future movies shown must be approved by the Communist Government...

TacoMalo
May 22, 2012, 02:06 AM
If Illinois has no legal way of carrying a firearm sounds like the local AMC just likes to beat on dead horses.

Deltaboy
May 22, 2012, 10:40 AM

In TX I just ignore those worthless signs and go in and watch the movie. TX Law state AMC must have a 30-06 Sign in english and spanish along with print size and color restrictions to be lega.

skeeziks
May 22, 2012, 06:50 PM
Let me repeat..... I never have and never will patronize an AMC theater.
The thought that my money is being contributed to a cause to abolish my 2nd Amendment Rights makes me sick to my stomach!

P.S. Don't buy Levi's either....or shop at Toys R Us.

danprkr
May 23, 2012, 04:07 AM
We don't have AMC anymore in my neighborhood, but it wouldn't matter if we did, that sign does not meet the requirements in TX to be binding on CHL holders.

Warp
May 24, 2012, 01:29 PM
We don't have AMC anymore in my neighborhood, but it wouldn't matter if we did, that sign does not meet the requirements in TX to be binding on CHL holders.
Are you okay with financially supporting businesses who seem not to want you there while armed?

exavid
May 25, 2012, 01:40 AM
I don't much care about businesses that post 'no gun' signs. I just carry anyway. In this state they can only ask you to leave, there's no legal problem unless you refuse in which case you can be charged with trespassing. Since I believe concealed means concealed the chance of any theater employee seeing that I was carrying is pretty small.
Oregon is pretty liberal (pun intended) in restricting license holders.

Places off-limits when carrying:
It is unlawful to possess a firearm loaded or unloaded in a public building. “Public building” means a hospital, capitol building, a public or private school, college or university, a courthouse, city hall, or residence of any state official and the grounds adjacent to each such building. This restriction does not apply to individuals licensed under Oregon law to carry concealed weapons

Warp
May 25, 2012, 02:00 AM
I don't much care about businesses that post 'no gun' signs. I just carry anyway. In this state they can only ask you to leave, there's no legal problem unless you refuse in which case you can be charged with trespassing. Since I believe concealed means concealed the chance of any theater employee seeing that I was carrying is pretty small.
Oregon is pretty liberal (pun intended) in restricting license holders.

Places off-limits when carrying:
It is unlawful to possess a firearm loaded or unloaded in a public building. “Public building” means a hospital, capitol building, a public or private school, college or university, a courthouse, city hall, or residence of any state official and the grounds adjacent to each such building. This restriction does not apply to individuals licensed under Oregon law to carry concealed weapons

Really...I've never heard of that one before. What's up with that?

BJ Orange
May 25, 2012, 02:03 AM
I know that in CA you are allowed to open carry an unloaded firearm, perhaps they were trying to keep even that from happening.

Yes, this was changed by our beloved governor Moonbeam recently.

If you enjoyed reading about "My local AMC Theater's new sign??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!