Shooting Glasses - Fogging

PDA

MtnCreek
May 10, 2012, 09:43 AM
How do you keep your wraparound shooting glasses from fogging? Do you use a no-fog spray / wipe? Do you have some type of wraparound glasses that wonít fog? Keep location in mind; Iím in GA with 90% humidity and 90 deg temps!

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Glasses - Fogging" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Captains1911
May 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
I buy one that specifically say "anti-fog." I have had good luck with Stanley brand safety glasses from the hardware section of Wally World in the past, they are cheap and don't fog up, but I have not been able to find them recently.

AirForceShooter
May 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
Try Rain X on both sides

AFS

Mizar
May 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
Just ask Mr. Google for "anti-fog spray".

Boris

hso
May 10, 2012, 10:21 AM
I use RainX

Odd Job
May 10, 2012, 10:25 AM
Cat crap

MtnCreek
May 10, 2012, 10:31 AM
I'm trying to live a Google-Free life...

I'll pick up some rain-x today and give that a try.

I talked to a really experienced shooter yesterday afternoon and he suggested Decot glasses. Ours styles are a little different, so the particular style he uses is not the wraparound types. Decot offers a tighter fitting style they call 'Revel'. Looking at their pamphlet, they claim their Revel glasses "reduce fogging often associated with other wrap designs". If they just 'reduce' the problem, I don't want to spend $130 on glasses that will eventually get smashed (I'm not good w/ glasses…). I have some no-fog spray that doesn’t work very well. Don’t remember the brand; it something left over from the paintball days.

Odd Job,
The cat got himself eaten. Do you think dog crap would work???

Odd Job
May 10, 2012, 10:35 AM
Odd Job,
The cat got himself eaten. Do you think dog crap would work???

Hehe.
Cat crap is an actual product though!

http://www.amazon.com/EK-USA-EK-Spray-Anti-fog-Treatment/dp/B003RLF4H8/ref=pd_sim_sg_4

PDXGS
May 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
Try this product, and the sister product for water repellency on the outside of the lens. This are the finest products I've used for shooting and motorcyle riding. Much much better than CatCrap or RainX
I have no interest in this company...just a gun in the Pacific Northwet who has RO deal with more fogging than most!
http://www.fogtech.com/fogtech.html

Mr.454
May 10, 2012, 11:28 AM
If you want to be really cheap buy a travel size bottle of Pert Plus. Clean the lenses with it and you are good to go.

clamman
May 10, 2012, 12:04 PM
A big second on Fog Tech. It's made for plastic/poly lenses. Stuff works.

Smokey Joe
May 10, 2012, 01:30 PM
Mtn Creek--I've always used Rain-Ex, on the recommendation of a bicycle racing coach friend. He Rain-Ex's his whole team's glasses at the start of each racing season. However (there is always that darn "however"!) some plastic lenses do not play nice, chemically, with Rain-Ex, he stated. Therefore it would be wise to check in a far corner of the lens, before putting it all over the lenses and having them go permanently misty.

I like the idea of a glasses fog fighter MADE for glasses--I'll try to get my hands on some Fog Tech.

Hunterdad
May 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
I use Colgate shaving cream on both sides. Worked great all winter while shooting trap.

csa77
May 10, 2012, 06:56 PM
Spitting on the inside of your glasses or licking the inside works well, just wipe off the excess.
Swimmers do this all the time to prevent fogging.

EchoBravo
May 10, 2012, 08:38 PM
I've found none of applications work for me, except for FogTech because I haven't tried that. Glasses such as Radians Clay pro (http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Clay-Protection-Glasses-Clear/dp/B000F7T4OQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1336692807&sr=1-1) with some airflow above and below fog up less frequently.

Dr.Rob
May 10, 2012, 09:02 PM
Lens wax.

wrench
May 10, 2012, 10:57 PM
I have 'cat crap', I don't think it works worth a darn.

ms6852
May 11, 2012, 01:04 AM
Try saliva or anti-fog, but for long term you need your glasses to be ventilated. Use a hot needle and puncture a few holes on the bottom of the frame or if you want on the gasket it self. This will keep it from fogging up.

MtnCreek
May 11, 2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions!

CountryUgly
May 11, 2012, 01:01 PM
I use spray on car wax on my glasses and motorcyle helmet shield it works. I also use shaving cream on my mirrors in the bathroom to keep them from fogging up when showering. I was on the swim team in HS and used the old spit and wipe technique on my goggles to great effect. Looks like there are a few chioces that work well pick one.

W.E.G.
May 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
If you use the Rain-X product, be sure you get the anti-fog product that goes on the INSIDE of the windows.

If you goof, and buy the Rain-X that goes on the OUTSIDE of the windows, you will get no joy.

Get this stuff.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/competitons/rain-x.jpg

MtnCreek
May 11, 2012, 02:03 PM
If you goof, and buy the Rain-X that goes on the OUTSIDE of the windows, you will get no joy.

Purchased yesterday, but I haven't used it yet.

Thanks for the heads up.

Flopsweat
May 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
Also, don't let the glasses ride directly against your forehead or eyebrows. I've found that leaving just a tiny bit of space for ventilation takes care of it for me most of the time.

45crittergitter
June 2, 2012, 04:54 PM
Parker's Perfect.

Flintknapper
June 2, 2012, 05:11 PM
I'm going to try the Rain-X anti-fog.

Hope it works...because I have the same problem. I sweat easily, the humidity here is always off the charts (in the Summer Time) and the heat unbearable.

You simply do not go shooting here (outside) without taking a 'sweat-towel' to dry off with. Glasses fogging has been a constant problem.

Sheeeeeshh......why I do live HERE? :( ;)

W.E.G.
June 2, 2012, 06:22 PM
Also, don't let the glasses ride directly against your forehead or eyebrows. I've found that leaving just a tiny bit of space for ventilation takes care of it for me most of the time.

This is quite correct.

Better yet tie the glasses to your bandana, so they don't slide down your nose while you are sweating buckets in 110-degree heat index.

Stimpy calls this my "spaz strap."

Works amazing.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/competitons/spazstrap.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/targets/spazstrap2.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting Glasses - Fogging" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!