My S&W 6906 makeover

PDA

daledut
May 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
I recently obtained a Police trade in S&W 6906 off of Gunbroker. The outside had some holster wear and a scuff or two, but the inside looked like brand new. I have always liked the two-tone look so I decided to take it down to the frame and paint it low gloss black.
This was my first attempt at complete disassembly of a firearm. I actually got it back together and functioning and I think it turned out not looking half bad for an amatuer attempt. See attached photos (before on left, after on right).
Oh yeah, I also did a hand brush finish on the slide and polished the trigger, hammer, slide lock lever, safety levers and exposed pins.
All comments welcome.

dale

If you enjoyed reading about "My S&W 6906 makeover" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bannockburn
May 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
Looks pretty decent. What kind of paint did you use and how was it applied? I think my concern would be how well it holds up with normal handling and use.

mesinge2
May 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Nice work, I like the two tone look!

smalls
May 11, 2012, 12:52 PM
That looks great! I love the two tone look.

I have the same concern bannockburn has, is what kind of paint you used?

daledut
May 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
Isaw on a gun thread somewhere that a guys used Automotive Engine paint (no bake type) and has for many years with good success. I figured since I bought this as a knock around gun, I couldn't hurt it much. The can said that it fully cures in 7 days. I hand sanded the frame with 400 wet dry paper and sprayed it on (3 coats) then waited for 7 agonizing days.
Time will tell if it holds up. I figure if it doesn't hold up then I will take it apart again and send it to a pro, but in the meantime I have about $12 for paint and sandpaper into the finish. And it was fun to do.

TennJed
May 12, 2012, 03:28 AM
Please keep us updated on this. I too have seen people posting about using engine paint on guns with sucess. I would like to see some picture examples of how it holds up.

I have considered trying out on a knock around gun my self

daledut
May 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
Okay here is the update already. The painting portion of this experiment is a failure. I went out back to shoot the pistol for the first time after paint cured. I notice that the paint was rubbing off of the beaver tail after only 24 rounds. I then discovered that I could scrape the paint off with a finger nail. See attached photo.
I sanded that portion down and am doing some touch up but once I save my pennys I am going to send it to someone who knows what they are doing.
So unless you are a better painter than I (which wouldn't take much) I would stay away from the engine paint.
BTW I LOVE the way this pistol shoots. I hardly even notice the recoil as compared to my Ruger LC9.

If you enjoyed reading about "My S&W 6906 makeover" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!