Been Through Many "Pocket" Guns - This Might Be IT

PDA

doc540
May 11, 2012, 11:53 PM
Colt D frames, Smith J frames, Taurus Slims, LC9's, etc, etc.

Both LC9's (mine and the Mrs) unceremoniously dropped mag's mid string, so they got sold pronto.

MrsDoc now totes a Kahr CW9 (she has a little more room with purse carry) while my SmartCarry hides a CM9.

Yet to find anything I don't like:

well made
well designed
compact
narrow
excellent trigger and action
accurate
cycles dependably
relatively inexpensive
9mm caliber
simple and durable

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Kahr%20CM9%20CW9/001-1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Targets/KahrCM9.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Micros2.jpg

:cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Been Through Many "Pocket" Guns - This Might Be IT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
340PD
May 12, 2012, 11:56 AM
As a snubbie carrier for years I shot a friends PM9. As a double action trigger guy I fell in love with the Kahr's trigger action. I bought one and it has become my daily carry gun. Check into the kahrtalk forums for lots of good information on your pistol.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/BallerinavsQuarterback.jpg

bragin
May 12, 2012, 08:38 PM
Nice piece. I have a Kahr CW45. Bought used from gun shop. Appeard to be practically new, no wear and tear. During first box of rounds, had some misfire's. Noticed that the firing pin did not leave much of an indention on the primers. Gun shop sent gun back to Kahr and corrected. Brought it back to range today and had about 6 misfires again. Same thing appears to be happening. The bullet primers barely have an indention. Will bring to gun smith and see if firing pin spring may be upgraded or something. When firing, the gun is accuare, seems well made and can conceal it nicely.

RBid
May 12, 2012, 08:44 PM
I am currently carrying a PF-9, but I'm pretty set on making a CM9 my next buy.

heeler
May 12, 2012, 09:45 PM
I love my PM9.
It has never once failed to feed or eject or fire, all sorts of fmj and hollow point ammo.
With the introduction of the lower cost CM model,which was not available at the time I paid handsomly for my PM9 with night sights,Kahr has hit a grand slam homerun.

rugmar
May 12, 2012, 11:04 PM
I have owned a CM9 for almost a year now and it has been great. In fact I don't think there have been any malfunctions of any kind in the 4-5 hundred rounds I have run through it. It was a little gritty feeling when working the slide at first but that smoothed out pretty quick.

I have to add this; I was kind of bummed out when I found that my purchase had aided the unification church. May not bother some but it did me.

straight-shooter
May 14, 2012, 04:23 PM
I feel exactly the same way as the OP in this instance. I've had quite a few carry pieces and settled on the CM9. Seems it carries the best and reliability and accuracy have been above par in my findings.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd56/straightshooter44/2c6ff27d.jpg

will919
May 14, 2012, 06:57 PM
I really like my CM9. Decent trigger (long) accurate, dependable and a great value. What a sweet little package.

plouffedaddy
May 15, 2012, 03:37 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01284.jpg

I generally carry mine IWB but I do have a pocket holster for it when I'm wearing cargos. Great gun; mine's been 100% reliable.

Ben86
May 15, 2012, 03:40 PM
They are great guns. One of the few true pocket 9mms out there.

TMann
May 15, 2012, 04:25 PM
Doc540: So does this mean that you'll be selling your Colt Cobra? :)

Kingcreek
May 15, 2012, 04:36 PM
I like my PM9 but I carry in a Crossbreed mini-tuck. Very compact and comfortable and it disappears with most any clothing. I tried pocket carry but it's really hard to remove it while sitting.

jitdc
May 17, 2012, 12:17 AM
I carry a CM9 almost daily, the only time it gets traded out is for a g26, but that is becoming less and less often. Love this gun, never had a failure of any kind in 400 rounds.

Triplec
May 17, 2012, 01:00 AM
Unfortunately I feel like I went the wrong direction when I got rid of my CM9 recently. I now have a diamondback db9 that is actually quite a bit smaller and lighter and I really can carry it in my pocket. My cm9 was 100% reliable and a dream ish to shoot compared to the db9 which has had the occasional fte and makes my hand sore after a few mags. Its gonna take a lot for my db9 to come close to earning the same trust that I had in my cm9. I think the db9 will be up to the task but we'll see if a cm9 will come back to me again someday.

dubya450
May 17, 2012, 01:28 AM
I've been through the same thing. Over had 5 different "pocket pistols" and up until today the sig p238 was the best one by a long shot. That is until I shot a kimber solo. I ordered a solo cdp today, expecting it in 2-4 months. I like the fact it's 9mm compared to most pocket guns in 380. I've never shot or even held a Kahr but have heard many good things bout them. Ill stick with my kimber solo for now tho.
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW TOOL/TOY!!

Forgot to ask, are the cm9/cw9 a double action trigger or striker fired SA?

TimeIsRunninOut
May 18, 2012, 10:00 PM
Striker fired single action, not true DAO

doc540
May 19, 2012, 03:48 AM
Doc540: So does this mean that you'll be selling your Colt Cobra?

Yessir, I sure did.

It went to a good home.

A female school teacher bought it to carry.

LightningMan
May 19, 2012, 10:32 PM
I have a PM9 and really like it, but I'm looking at a CM40 today and am tempted to try the .40 S&W in the same size package. Don't know if I'll get it yet, as I'm still mulling it over. LM

paperpounder
May 19, 2012, 10:38 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f96517-4adf-cda5.jpg

Just can't leave the house without it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

R.W.Dale
May 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
I just bought my cw 9 and shot it for the first time today.

Unfortunately my example is afflicted with the dreaded mag dropping syndrome so I'll get to experience Kahr's CS Monday.

Aside from that its a delightfully accurate easy handling smooth shooting piece.

jim243
May 19, 2012, 11:12 PM
I never worry about dropping the mag.

Jim

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/IMG_1227.jpg

R.W.Dale
May 19, 2012, 11:29 PM
I never worry about dropping the mag.

Jim

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/IMG_1227.jpg

The 9mm Taurus revolver I normally carry definitely took up the slack today at the range

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/2012-04-12114158.jpg

gotime242
May 20, 2012, 12:40 AM
+1

My carry gun story went bersa 380 -> p3at -> pf9 and now have a CW9.

Its absolutely perfect for me in every way. Ill never sell it. The new CM9 looks like a good deal for those looking for something a tad smaller with the same budget.

340PD
May 20, 2012, 11:17 AM
What is the problem with the mag? Is it sticking and not totally dropping freely? Mine loosened up after a few hundred rounds. Otherwise the partial drop was not a real concern for me. I'm old and don't like to bend over and pick them up off the ground. You may want to wait before sending it in.

Shipwreck
May 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
I recently sold my 2.5 year old Kahr PM9 with night sights after I got a S&W Shield. Great gun. Lot less recoil too

R.W.Dale
May 20, 2012, 12:13 PM
What is the problem with the mag? Is it sticking and not totally dropping freely? Mine loosened up after a few hundred rounds. Otherwise the partial drop was not a real concern for me. I'm old and don't like to bend over and pick them up off the ground. You may want to wait before sending it in.

It falls out of the gun onto the ground part way through shooting the ammunition from said magazine

kris7047th
May 20, 2012, 09:54 PM
I'll stick with this, my M&P Shield that now has a 4 lb short trigger (work & sear done by ATEi) Trijicon HD M&P sights

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb114/kris7047th/IMG_1207.jpg

C0untZer0
May 20, 2012, 10:53 PM
I recently sold my 2.5 year old Kahr PM9 with night sights after I got a S&W Shield. Great gun. Lot less recoil too

It should have less recoil it's a bigger heavier gun, and it's not a pocket pistol.

IMO there are only a few "true" pocket semi-autos out there in 9mm:

Rohrbaugh R9
Caliber:9mm
Barrel:2.9in
Length:5.2in
Height:3.7in
Weight:13.5oz
Capacity:6+1 Rounds

Boberg XR9-S (Shorty)
Barrel:3.35in
Length:5.1in
Height:3.7in
Weight:17.5oz
Capacity:7+1 Rounds

Kahr PM9 / CM9
Barrel:3.1in
Length: 5.42in
Height: 4.0in
Slide Width: .90in
Weight: Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces
Capacity: 6+1

Kahr MK9
Barrel:3.0in
Length: 5.3in
Weight: Pistol 22.1 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces

The MK9 is only slightly larger than the Boberg but since it's an all-steel pistol it's heavier than the Kahrs or Rohrbaugh. Some people consider it a little too heavy for pocket carry.

The guns start to creep up in size after the Rohrbaugh, Boberg and Kahrs until you're all the way up to the 6.29" for the Glock 26

SIG SAUER P290
Caliber: 9mm
Barrel: 2.9in
Length: 5.5in
Height: 3.9in - magazine for P290 basically sits flush and doesn't add height to the pistol.
Width: 0.9in - 1.1in w/slide catch
Weight: 20.5 ounces w/magazine

Diamondback DB9
Barrel:3.0in
Length:5.60in
Width:0.80in
Weight:11oz

Kimber Solo
Barrel:2.7in
Length:5.5in
Height:3.9in
Weight:17oz

Beretta Nano
Barrel:3.07in
Length: 5.63in
Height: 4.17in
Width: .90in
Weight: 17.67 ounces

Ruger LC9
Barrel:3.12in
Length: 6.0in
Height: 4.5in
Weight: 17.10 ounces
Capacity: 7+1

S&W M&P Sheild
Barrel:3.1in
Length:6.1in
Height:4.6in
Weight:19oz w/o magazine
Width:.95in
Capacity:7+1 Rounds

Glock 26
Barrel:3.46in
Length:6.29in
Height:4.17in
Weight:19.75 oz w/o magazine
Capacity:10+1 Rounds

AOK
May 21, 2012, 12:03 AM
I recently picked up a CM9 as well to be my BUG (and on the rare occasion I can't carry my Glock 23 OWB). Before making the purchase my decision was down to the CM9 and the Shield. Since I only carry my BUG in the front pocket the Shield was just a little to tall to make a clean draw on a consistent basis. Unfortunately a single stack such as the Shield that can only really be worn on a waist band doesn't fill a need for me. If I can wear something on my waistband then it will be my Glock 23 as it has been for years. YMMV

hardluk1
May 21, 2012, 10:57 AM
Not sure why folks draw a comparison between the shield and the cm/pm kahrs. They are not close to the same lenght , height or weight . The shield is much closer to the cw9 kahr in size and weight and capacity. Nether the cw9 or the sheild work nearly as well as a pocket gun as the cm/pm kahrs and a few others out there. Just a different sized pistol. I have two kahrs with zero problems. No mags falling out. Even the recoil difference's goes away if you are shooting a like sized kahr. Only real difference is the trigger pull type and safety. I have said this before. If i owned a larger M&P then the sheild is a natural for a real compact sized pistol in the M&P line. I think to many think the sheild is smaller and lighter than it is. Good pistol ?? Sure. Just another choice for us. heres a photo of my to and a comp-tac holster.
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l444/hardluk1/th_107_4089.jpg (http://s331.photobucket.com/albums/l444/hardluk1/?action=view&current=107_4089.jpg)

faceyournation
May 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
What is a good price for a CM9 NIB? You've all caught my interest...

hardluk1
May 21, 2012, 04:57 PM
They are cheaper now that a 1 1/2 ago. I is them local for 360. Some have found them for less.

doc540
May 21, 2012, 05:12 PM
Currently $399 shipped from Bud's Gun Shop.com

CZguy
May 21, 2012, 05:26 PM
I have not had a opportunity to shoot either a Kahr or a Shield, which one has a better trigger?

beeb173
May 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
can i ask what made all you guys go with the kahrs over the kel tecs? i've been kicking myself because i thought the kahrs were the reliable versions of kel tecs and i bought the wrong one. but now that im reading your posts it doesnt seem that they're any more reliable. what am i missing?

R.W.Dale
May 21, 2012, 07:23 PM
As the owner of both I can say they're both serviceable firearms.

However

The keltec is very crudely finished compared to the kahr, my pf9 wasn't as accurate as my cw9 and the kt trigger isn't in the same class as the kahr

beeb173
May 21, 2012, 07:48 PM
Makes sense. A good trigger makes a big difference.

R.W.Dale
May 22, 2012, 04:13 PM
I just bought my cw 9 and shot it for the first time today.

Unfortunately my example is afflicted with the dreaded mag dropping syndrome so I'll get to experience Kahr's CS Monday.

Aside from that its a delightfully accurate easy handling smooth shooting piece.

Just an update. I spoke with kahr CS today and they're sending me out a new magazine catch today

hardluk1
May 22, 2012, 04:28 PM
CZguy First the CM( kahr is a way lighter pistol that is also shorter and height and lenght. The one that has a better trigger seem to be more about your shooting background. Both have good triggers ,just very different. Sheilds seems to be the normal M&P type but with a lighter pull at around 5 lbs acording to mag reviews!! Kahr trigger is very much like a revolver DA trigger pull but at 6lbs. People for some reason compare the sheild to the CM/PM kahrs when there really closer to the CW series. The sheild is heavier still and that should make for softer recoil but I have not shot a sheild to compare to the cw kahr. Both should work fine but if a pocket option is wanted the cm/pm kahrs are lighter and smaller.

BHP FAN
May 23, 2012, 04:53 AM
I just bought my first Glock, the 26.

heeler
May 23, 2012, 09:08 AM
beeb173,to answer your question about why I chose the Kahr over the Kel-Tec was the over all quality difference.
When I bought my PM9 at a gun show dealers table he carried numerous brands and actually had the KT PF9 sitting right next to the PM9.
After handling each it was quite obvious which had the better build quality.
Of course the price difference was huge.
At the time the PF9 was slightly less than $275.
My night sighted PM9 was $655...before the Texas 8.25% sales tax.
I gladly paid the premium difference.
Fwiw the CM9 was not out at the time of my purchase.

PR-NJ
May 23, 2012, 10:23 PM
It falls out of the gun onto the ground part way through shooting the ammunition from said magazine

I called Kahr on the partial drop thing. They're intentionally tight and not meant to completely drop. That said, the representative indicated that if you send in the pistol, Kahr will loosen - or tighten - the magazine/mag well. Owner preference.

R.W.Dale
May 24, 2012, 02:05 AM
I called Kahr on the partial drop thing. They're intentionally tight and not meant to completely drop. That said, the representative indicated that if you send in the pistol, Kahr will loosen - or tighten - the magazine/mag well. Owner preference.

I don't think you're quite getting what is going on.

The magazine is falling out all on its own without depressing the magazine release at random intervals.

Think Leslie Nielsen "Naked Gun" gag type malfunction.

Powerglide
May 24, 2012, 09:30 PM
I always revert back to my 1903 Colt 32.Slim, trim, shoots smooth, etc.

The Lone Haranguer
May 25, 2012, 04:42 AM
Striker fired single action, not true DAO
The Kahr isn't single action, either. It is a "preset" striker system, i.e., the striker is already partially cocked and pulling the trigger completes the cocking and fires the round. To reset the striker requires the action of the slide, by racking it or firing a cartridge. If the round is a dud the slide must be re-racked.

golden
May 26, 2012, 04:09 PM
My usual pocket gun is a SIG 232 in .380ACP, with alloy frame and night sights. Great trigger, mild recoil, very good accuracy and so far it has been totally reliable.

Jim

gunsnsprinkles
May 26, 2012, 08:49 PM
Watch out for Kahr Crappy Customer Service. I have had nothing but lies and trouble with Kahr. Some here try to bully those of us with Kahr problems to keep quiet. I think they sell the things and want to keep the money flowing. I received over seven PMs telling me that they had trouble with Kahr CS and did not want to have some here jump on them for their thoughts. Kahr has a break in period of 200 rounds, that in and of it self make one wonder why they cant get it right out of the factory, second the void your warranty if you shoot reloads is a huge red flag. So Kahr wants you to run 80 bucks of ammo through the gun just to make it so its some what reliable? Then if it has a problem like the now infamous dropping mag they want you to pay to send it back? I think there are better choices out there. Like Glocks and Smiths for two.

PR-NJ
May 26, 2012, 10:00 PM
I don't think you're quite getting what is going on.

The magazine is falling out all on its own without depressing the magazine release at random intervals.

Think Leslie Nielsen "Naked Gun" gag type malfunction.
Yeah. That might be a problem.

CZguy
May 27, 2012, 12:44 AM
Watch out for Kahr Crappy Customer Service. I have had nothing but lies and trouble with Kahr. Some here try to bully those of us with Kahr problems to keep quiet. I think they sell the things and want to keep the money flowing. I received over seven PMs telling me that they had trouble with Kahr CS and did not want to have some here jump on them for their thoughts. Kahr has a break in period of 200 rounds, that in and of it self make one wonder why they cant get it right out of the factory, second the void your warranty if you shoot reloads is a huge red flag. So Kahr wants you to run 80 bucks of ammo through the gun just to make it so its some what reliable? Then if it has a problem like the now infamous dropping mag they want you to pay to send it back? I think there are better choices out there. Like Glocks and Smiths for two.

I just wanted to make sure that you new that all new guns require a break in period. And I'm now aware of any company that wants you to shoot reloads.

Just wanted to be fair. :)

Ben86
May 27, 2012, 01:29 AM
Kahr has a break in period of 200 rounds, that in and of it self make one wonder why they cant get it right out of the factory, second the void your warranty if you shoot reloads is a huge red flag. So Kahr wants you to run 80 bucks of ammo through the gun just to make it so its some what reliable?

Kahr guns, especially the small ones, purposely come too tight from the factory. This is done so that after a couple hundred rounds the gun works itself into an ideal level of spring tension and mechanical harmony. This is opposed to sending them from the factory more loose than they need to be.

Most manufacturers tell you not to use reloads or your warranty is void.

$80 for $200 rounds? Even for .45 200 rounds might cost me about $65, $40 for 9mm.

greenlion
May 28, 2012, 11:27 AM
If Kahr would have released the CW and CM line of guns to begin with, and offered the P and PM lines as custom options, they would have taken a much bigger bite out of the concealed carry market. They are the best designed pocket guns out there in my opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Been Through Many "Pocket" Guns - This Might Be IT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!