#4 Babbitt Federated Castomatic alloy?

PDA

acfixerdude
May 12, 2012, 03:44 PM
Anybody have info on this? I've read a couple things saying its a type of hardware/hammer alloy but it doesn't seem very hard.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "#4 Babbitt Federated Castomatic alloy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
May 12, 2012, 04:09 PM
Babbitt metal is primarily used for poured bearings on shafts in machinery.
Years ago a harder grade then yours was used for main & rod bearings in car engines.

#4 is composed of 84-86% lead, 1-2% Tin, and 12-14% antimony.

That makes it very similar to Linotype alloy which makes very fine hard cast bullets.
It would be worth a try for casting rifle or magnum handgun bullets.

rc

Striker Fired
May 12, 2012, 07:09 PM
It would be uneeded hardness as it sits. I would mix it with pure or softer range lead to get it down to 3-5%antimony and 2-3%tin.Plenty hard for magnum handgun and even many rifle velocities. Water drop for higher performance rifle load.

acfixerdude
May 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys, picked it up at the scrap yard today and looking to sell it; just needed to see what it was first.

I passed up the chance to get a couple other ingots (not this shape and not same stuff). They were quite a bit harder and not marked so I didn't buy them. They were long and heavy, one was broken and it looked like a brittle fracture, not a ductile failure like lead would give (hey, I actually used some information from my materials science class!).

If you enjoyed reading about "#4 Babbitt Federated Castomatic alloy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!