Outstaning WWII reenactment

PDA

sturmgewehr
May 12, 2012, 07:37 PM
Every year there is a WWII reenactment held just about an hour from my home. I go every year and every time I'm impressed with the event. I wanted to share this event with you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeZpr9v_cHw

Questions and comments are welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Outstaning WWII reenactment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
huntsman
May 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
this one is 1/2 hour from me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QBvNizl4ig

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
May 12, 2012, 07:53 PM
That looks like an awesome event. I'd participate in one, myself, but don't own a single German Mauser, or an American Surplus weapon! lol

sturmgewehr
May 12, 2012, 10:05 PM
I want to participate too. I am talking to a German unit about embedding as a combat photographer next year so I can get on the battlefield with a camera. I had a few GoPro's out there this time, but there's nothing like being in the middle of the action with a camera.

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
May 12, 2012, 10:07 PM
Maybe I might find that elusive early-war K98 I've been holding out for, and then go do so!

WardenWolf
May 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
NICE. I've got an M1 Carbine, courtesy of my late grandfather. Too bad it's too hot around here for any real reenactments.

kb58
May 12, 2012, 11:06 PM
For some reason my dad is not interested in such games, he was there for real. Watch "The Pacific" next time someone says it's cool...

Tommygunn
May 12, 2012, 11:10 PM
Beats watching DVDs of the old TV series "COMBAT!":D

A lot of fun! Thanks for posting this. The STG44 was great -- heck, even that old German field stove at the end was interesting.

throdgrain
May 14, 2012, 04:38 AM
We have one near me here in England called the War and Peace Show, claimed to be the biggest Millitary Vehicle Show in the world.

They do reinactments - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXbauSWMaZ4&feature=related

Lex Luthier
May 14, 2012, 07:49 AM
What a great video.

I have an almost complete original 82nd Airborne uniform. It is such a great experience to wear it to collector shows and have such great conversations with the old vets. It is worth noting that while some of the equipment is original at those events, a collector would be loath to use an original uniform and it's acoutremont during a muddy reenactment. There are a few good sources for reproductions.

Robert
May 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
I am helping with a South Pacific display for Memorial Day. I do Aussie, my friend does Japanese and his brother does USMC. It should be a good time.

SaxonPig
May 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
1. Seeing the STG44 field stripped makes the origins of H&K 91/93 rifles obvious.

2. Didn't realize the Germans relied so heavily on horses. Sad to think of how many were killed.

3. The guys with armored vehicles and self-propelled guns are REALLY hard core enthusiasts. What would it cost to buy, restore, maintain and operate a tank?

PT92
May 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
For some reason my dad is not interested in such games, he was there for real. Watch "The Pacific" next time someone says it's cool...
It's very good but not quite on the same level as Band of Brothers IMO.

Thanks to your Pop (as well as mine and the millions of others) for his service.

-Cheers

PT92
May 14, 2012, 02:58 PM
Beats watching DVDs of the old TV series "COMBAT!":D

A lot of fun! Thanks for posting this. The STG44 was great -- heck, even that old German field stove at the end was interesting.
Come now--Kirby and that BAR are killer!

-Cheers

herkyguy
May 14, 2012, 05:15 PM
There's a book called Confederates in the Attic that brought up one problem of reenactments - no one ever wants to be the guy that dies.....takes all the fun out of it.

Thanks for sharing, that was interesting to watch.

Tommygunn
May 14, 2012, 07:16 PM
Beats watching DVDs of the old TV series "COMBAT!"

Come now--Kirby and that BAR are killer!

-Cheers

I hear ya!;) I always prefered Sgt. Saunders with his M1928 Thompson myself.
If you're familiar with the "COMBAT!" series' development, Kirby was not the original squad BARman. That guy died early in the series and Kirby (who really liked the BAR) inherited it.
This caused some inadvertant bloopers in later episodes where stock shots of the squad were used and Kirby would be seen carrying the old Garand briefly, then it would morph into the BAR in the next shot. Ooooooops.:uhoh:

Dr.Rob
May 15, 2012, 12:07 AM
Seeing that STG 44 broken down was cool. Everyone points out the 'look' it shares with the AK.. but that spring loaded dust cover looked like it came off on an AR, as does the sping in the stock. It even unhinges like an AR.

Pilot
May 15, 2012, 09:49 AM
That is a really cool video. Thanks!

jon86
May 15, 2012, 11:13 AM
I wonder how they clean that field kitchen pot between meals?

If you enjoyed reading about "Outstaning WWII reenactment" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!