Maryland - Next THR Meet/Shoot

PDA

Spot77
February 18, 2004, 02:28 PM
Hey guys, Chaim has proposed the next Md. THR get-together at Hap Baker Range in Westminster on Sunday, March 14th.

It's a rifle range, but handguns are welcome too....(the only drawback to handguns is the 25 yard minimum shot).

They're building a dedicated handgun range, but it is not complete as of today.

It's only $10 to shoot all day:D

Many of you will get a pm about this; no need to respond via pm, just add your $.02 here!

If you enjoyed reading about "Maryland - Next THR Meet/Shoot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M4A3
February 18, 2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up Spot.
I am going to try my hardest to make it!

Do you have any more info on the location of this range?

M4A3
February 18, 2004, 02:40 PM
One more note:
We are having another MD, DE & Washington DC members meet in the Baltimore area March 11th.

All here who read this is more than welcome to come!
A location has not yet been decided but keep an eye on this thread for an update!

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=29&t=176971

P95Carry
February 18, 2004, 02:40 PM
Hmmm .... I sure would like to come down .. only drawback for me is .. the day before I am down Lebanon way with some flying buddies ... it's our annual ''pilgrimage'' .. and we buy our bulk fuel from a big show there.

So ... with the Saturday gone and quite a bit of travel, just not sure re long drive next day. Have to speak to wife!! :p

Anyways .... yeah, some location info would be good . I expect this is further than last time? if you can give address including zip then mapQuest can do the rest. I'll ''watch this space'' anyways ... and for now sit at approx 50/50.

Austin Charles
February 18, 2004, 03:16 PM
Just got the PM.

I should be there unless something unexpected comes up.

thanks for the invite

Erik

Spot77
February 18, 2004, 04:45 PM
sorry I don't have great info yet on the location; as the date draws nearer I'll post everything I can....

**Hap Baker Range
Carroll County Landfill
Route 140
Westminster MD 21157
Phone: 410-386-2103
Shooting opportunities for small and large caliber rifle and pistols.
Open to the Public. Daily or season passes are required Days and times vary.

Coming from Baltimore beltway:
Take rte 795 all the way to the end, it then turns into rte 140 north. Go a few miles until you see the sign for the county landfill on the right (I believe it's shortly after passing the Reece Vol fire Dept on your left).

Turn right into the county landfill and follow the signs all the way to the back. Listen for gunfire:evil: :neener:

great staff there....nice range. Only a spot-a-pot and a soda machine for comfort though, so bring your lunch/snacks with you. (and your own t-p probably wouldn't hurt just to be safe!)

K-Romulus
February 18, 2004, 04:52 PM
Am I wrong?:confused:

Spot77
February 18, 2004, 04:57 PM
I called today and spoke to a gentleman named "Bill" who assured me they were open.

Will confirm again as the time draws nearer.

Norton
February 18, 2004, 05:53 PM
I thought they were open year round.....if I purchase my badge I want to be able to go out there in January and February:D

chaim
February 18, 2004, 06:01 PM
I thought that place wasn't open until May 1? It is year round. There are a couple days (like Xmas) that it doesn't open and during the winter its days/hours are a bit more limited, but it is open year round.

All: Be sure to bring all the ammo you'll want, they don't sell it. They may sell targets, I'm not 100% sure, but it may be a good idea to bring a bunch as well. For those of us who don't like porta-pots, there is a Target store a mile or two down the road and you can always use their restrooms- still be sure to do your business before you get there if you can.

It is a nice range with good people running it. I've always liked it, I just don't get there very often (outdoors, daylight hours only). Still, with the pistol range going up I think I'll be joining ($40 for the year) and it may become my exclusive good weather range (on Sundays and days off anyway). Hopefully, they'll have the pistol range up before we get there, but I won't hold my breath.

Also, the date is just a few days before the next big day in Annapolis (CCW bill among others, some good some bad)- we can talk strategy and otherwise encourage each other.

The layout of the range there is far more conducive to socializing than an indoor range.

I look forward to seeing everyone.

(Minor edit to change one word- there is a big difference between "socializing" and "socialization" and with a degree in psychology I should have known better) :o

Spot77
February 18, 2004, 06:31 PM
They do sell targets, but very few and not really any choices....whatever is there....is there....

Norton
February 18, 2004, 08:24 PM
also it's $60 a year if you don't live in Carroll County

K-Romulus
February 18, 2004, 09:09 PM
I guess I was wrong about the seasonal opening thing.

Only $60 year, for a 200 yd range, and now they're building a pistol range?

Now I have an excuse to get that "big boy" rifle!!

But first, I'll see how the Black Helicopter 10/22 does on the 100yd line:uhoh:

nico
February 18, 2004, 11:38 PM
I'd love to come (I've been itching to shoot my new rifle and to see how my 10/22 does at ranges >50 feet), but I probably won't know if I can make it until that week. :( Hopefully I'll see you guys there.

PAshooter
February 19, 2004, 08:19 AM
Man, I'd love to come... if nothing else for one last hurrah:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66055

But seriously, I've got a boatload of work to do... getting my house ready to sell. If I can pull myself away that day I'll be there with bells on. If not, I'll be missing you guys.

~md

Slimjim
February 19, 2004, 10:20 AM
Yey, finally something in my neck of the woods, ill deffinetly be there. With a few toys. IF anyone wants to shoot the Nagant AKA The flamethrower. Let me know, ill bring ammo.

They've been buildin g the pistol range ever sence it opened, they have the walls up, but not much else.

They only sell targets, no ammo. They will sell you brass for reloading though.

chaim
February 19, 2004, 12:07 PM
Slim, I wouldn't mind another chance to shoot a Nagant.

It may be a little early, but here is my list of what is coming:

Definate:
-Bushy AR 15 HBAR (I haven't shot it yet)
-Winchester 94 in 30-30 (it doesn't miss a trip to the rifle range)

Likely (at least one or two, but probably not all):
-SKS (with the cheap ammo it is rare to miss a trip)
-Savage 110 in 30-06 with iron sights (I may have a scope on it by then). It's only been shot once (I need to get to the rifle range a bit more)
-Benelli Nova 12ga stoked with slugs. Why not, it does have ghost rings so it should be somewhat accurate.
-S&W 57 (I'm not sure if it is 6" or 6.5"). The ammo is fairly expensive and I don't have reloading components for .41mag yet so there is a chance it will stay home
-S&W 586 (6"barrel).
-Ruger MkII

Possible:
-Marlin 60
-Remington 581 with a cheap scope
-Winchester 94 in .45LC
-Charles Daly 1911
-S&W M19 (4" barrel)
-CZ 75B
-Hi-Point Carbine

Let me know if you have any preferences.

Slimjim
February 19, 2004, 09:29 PM
Chaim, Funny, That'll make TWO AR15 H-Bar's :D

Spot77
February 19, 2004, 10:24 PM
Three actually :evil: :neener:

I haven't even shot her yet.....

Slimjim
February 19, 2004, 10:37 PM
Man, three virgin AR's. Mine gets broken in on saturday, and i put a new upper on my baby already.

JeepDriver
February 20, 2004, 08:19 PM
I'm going to try to make it.

Not sure if that weekend is free yet. We are in the process of buying a house and time is getting tight :(

If I'm able to come I'll be bringing the M1A, Bushy Carbine, SAR-1 and maybean old M44 I have laying around I've never shot.

I'm heading out to private property tomorrow morning to do some shooting.

I just finished selecting the weapons I'm gonna take. :D

http://www.fototime.com/0B3975EEC03D4BF/standard.jpg

P95Carry
February 20, 2004, 08:56 PM
Sad to see things a bit tight on the ammo front there Jeep.!!:p :neener:

Enjoy! :) :evil:

Norton
February 20, 2004, 09:51 PM
Jeep,

What is that M1A? I could be persuaded to save up my nickels for one of those instead of a Garand:p

P95....if Jeep shoots those long guns as fast and as accurately as his handguns....he'll need that ammo. I've seen him in action.....he's good:cool:

Have a good time tomorrow!

JeepDriver
February 21, 2004, 08:49 PM
if Jeep shoots those long guns as fast and as accurately as his handguns....he'll need that ammo. I've seen him in action.....he's good

Thanks for the kind words, but my shooting skills don't extend past hand guns. I really need practice with rifles.

It's looking like I'll be at Hap on the 14th.

My trip today didn't pan out due to snow covered & frozen access roads. Never got to the rifle range today.

I took a 3 hour drive, only to end up at Continental with the P220.

What is that M1A? I could be persuaded to save up my nickels for one of those instead of a Garand

I'll bring it up to Hap on the 14th. You're more the welcome to shoot it. But be careful, you'll buy one! (if they don't out law them first:rolleyes: )

Norton
February 21, 2004, 09:12 PM
Jeep,

I was at the local friendly pawn shop, which also sells new guns, and he had a couple of M1As in there....mighty tempting. Of course the wife keeps bringing up the fact that we have no furniture upstairs in the new house:p

I'd love to shoot that thing.....I wish I something cooler than my Yugo SKS to share, but I will have plenty of rounds for it.

Hmmm....seems like maybe with the looming AWB I need to pay a visit to Lou at Shooter's Discount and get a couple more of those Yugo's. With the fixed magazine, I could lop the bayonet off of 'em and still be OK.....maybe.

P95Carry
February 21, 2004, 09:51 PM
Bit off topic Norton but ... I feel disadvantaged!! From all that I can tell ... PA seems about the only place that has no pawn shops! At least ... never come across one yet!:(

Been thru many other states and seen plenty!:p

Slimjim
February 21, 2004, 10:11 PM
I was at the range today, what a wet muddy mess, But i did find out that if i had a trigger job and a better scope the AR will drive tacks better :D

Its already a tack driver pretty much. But I did meet a fellow THR'er Newton.
He was shooting an Yugo SKS.

And i got to shoot a .44 Desert Eagle.

Girlwithagun
February 22, 2004, 12:34 PM
For the purpose of getting a babysitter, what time will we be meeting?

Spot77
February 22, 2004, 05:25 PM
Good question.

How does 1:00pm sit with everybody?

P95Carry
February 22, 2004, 05:36 PM
If I can make it Spot .. and I am gonna try .. that sounds fine.

BTW .. thinking long arms .... is there any good surface to lay out a mat to shoot on .. or any benches? Or are we talkin mud!??:p

Norton
February 22, 2004, 06:10 PM
P95,

10 covered lanes.....2 are 100 and 200 meters only. Others are 25, 50, 75, 100 meters.

Each lane has a bench and stool. The actual firing point is encased in a foam lined box that they had to install to help keep down the noise for the local residents:rolleyes:

They supply: backerboard for targets, stapler, sand bags. They also have some targets for sale.

Spot77
February 22, 2004, 08:04 PM
ooooh, and don't forget the spotting scopes they supply with each lane. Very nice touch:)

Slimjim
February 22, 2004, 09:37 PM
Eh, they let you fire out of the box, its not mandatory really, unless you fire something Huge. Anyone happen to have a .50 bmg? im just asking,

BRONZ
February 24, 2004, 09:43 PM
Man, thats my duty weekend. Would like to go though. I might have to play slick:D :D :D

I will let you guys know.

Girlwithagun
February 27, 2004, 01:12 PM
The babysitter is all lined up and this time, she has no surgeries scheduled to mess it up. :D
So, we can bring handguns even though the handgun range isn't done?

Spot77
February 27, 2004, 01:54 PM
yep, you can bring all the handguns you want, but it's a loooooong shot to the first target - 75 feet I believe....

RobG
February 27, 2004, 07:43 PM
Yup, 25 yard pistol for now.

Girl, hope you AND ANApex can make it haha (wish my wife were interested).

Sporterized Yugo SKS and a .22. Hoping to convince LeadPumper to come with FAL, Savage in .308, Armalite AR180B...

Anyone happen to have a Garand? I'd try to scrounge up ammo.

P95Carry
February 27, 2004, 08:34 PM
Still very much hoping to make it .... but still seeing what I can leave out .... I think Jim will have his naggant so that can stay behind as too I think can the basic Yugo . otherwise .. still waiting to see what is duplicated totally by someone else.

The Hakim is set up and ready to go but not managed a range test yet .. may have to wait till then even ... mainly I hope a case of setting up gas valve.

Otherwise ..... hmmm .....

L1A1
M77 II in 223
44 and .357 levers
9mm camp
AK
Norinco SKS with red dot
Revamped Turk (on the fugly ATI stock .. a la Steyr)Jungle Carbine .. and plenty of ammo! (extra padding advised!)
Ishapore Enfield in .308 ... (not overly accurate as yet)
Mini-14
Savage 99C in .243 (sweet!)
Marlin 60
Marlin Papoose
Mauser Obendorfe (.22lr)

Oh and ... there's a sporterized .303 MkIV.... and my 760 deer rifle.

Several of these badly need excercise.

Girlwithagun
February 27, 2004, 08:42 PM
Soloman, ANApex has a Garand in .308 that he will bring. Tell your wife to come anyway- I'll try to convince her. :p

RobG
February 27, 2004, 09:06 PM
Well, Girl, THAT might be interesting.

P95 - bring what you want - I'm sure that plenty of excercise will be given.

FYI - show this weekend 6-7 Feb at the Pikesville Armory.

P95Carry
February 27, 2004, 09:43 PM
6-7 Feb haha! My time machine won't go back that far!!! :neener:

RobG
February 27, 2004, 11:35 PM
:o oops, I'm trying to skip my birthday so bad that I'm all messed up. 6-7 MARCH at Pikesville Armory :o:banghead:

chaim
February 28, 2004, 11:08 PM
Solomon, when is your b-day? How many does that make (would your cake be a fire hazard yet?)?:neener:

P95, if you really want to lighten your load, and you are definately planning on bringing the Marlin 60 I could bring mine (though I wasn't really planning on it). Also, I don't know how much demand there is for lever rifles. I love them, but does anyone else plan to shoot them much? My guess is that the EBRs will be more popular (esp. with the MD AWB threat not being over yet). I will be bringing my Winchester 94 in 30-30 (w/ probably only 100 rounds though) and I could bring my Win 94 in .45Colt if anyone thinks they want to shoot it (though with a rifle in a rifle caliber I'm not sure if I plan to bring the pistol caliber rifle to the rifle range). While I'd love to try a lever rifle in .44 and/or .357mag, I can wait if needed- I guess we should see how many people are interested in levers. Now whatever you do don't leave that L1A1 at home (I really need a "drool" icon).

P95Carry
February 28, 2004, 11:19 PM
Well ... L1A1 and Hakim are definites ... tho L1A1 is STILL awaiting the rear sight replacement . I got specials and found I had a metric rear sight ... hoping to get that replaced with correct one ...... so may be a case of ''compensating'' ... it works but annoying.:p

Other stuff ... well .. throw enough padding in truck bed and like as not . me being me .. I'll throw in too much!

I did ask before ... how close can we get vehicles to firing point!!! I well may have my famous dolly (haha .. some may remember last shoot!) ..... but sure as heck .. hate carrying stuff too far ,... and the ammo is soooooooooo heavy!

BTW ... if Hakim performs .... I think we may be OK ... currently have approx 4,000 rounds of 8mm!:evil: :D :D If any probs then maybe we can blast a load thru the ATI converted (fugly) Turk!:)

Slimjim
February 29, 2004, 12:06 AM
You have to park up the hill from the firing line, its a bit far. just down a big hill, otherwise, you could probly pull down to the bottom unload then drive back up, unless your handicapped.

anapex
February 29, 2004, 08:28 AM
Chris: Don't worry about carrying things, There are enough of us to help you out.

So it seems like we'll have enough SKS' so I'll probably leave mine at home. I will bring the Garand (in .308) and the M1 Carbine. Would anyone want some time with a Winchester 70 in 30-06? If so I'll bring it along too. We'll also have a Savage .22 until the little woman gets accustomed to the fun ones :)

RobG
February 29, 2004, 02:06 PM
ANApex - please bring to ought-6, I'm very curious about it.

I'm trying to decide if I will purchase an FAL or a Garand, with a same caliber boltie later, so I'm using this as a research tool.

Big question: I'd hate to use ya'lls ammo, so for the Garand and L1A1 - will they eat milsurp battlepack stuff or do think the headspace issue will be a problem and would like winchester whitebox (or other brand) run through them. I'll definately bring factory ammo for the -06, though.

P95Carry
February 29, 2004, 04:37 PM
L1A1 eats most .. I feed it Portugese right now ... but did have one batch of ''something'' a while back it seemed not to like. If in doubt, we'll try it!:p

chaim
March 2, 2004, 02:13 AM
This is looking like it needs a bump.

PAshooter
March 2, 2004, 04:55 AM
Been watching this thread wishing I could come out and play with you guys on the 14th, but alas it is not to be.

We're in the throes of reconditioning the house so we can get it on the market... accomplished amazing things (with the help of a couple of the greatest kids you'd ever wanna meet) over the last two weeks and the end is finally in sight. The weekend of the 13th/14th is when we figure to wrap things up and sign the listing contract.

Besides, as part of the pre-moving prep the fire sticks have all been moved to a secure undisclosed location - and it would be a royal PITA to retrieve them for a day's venture afield.

On a happier note: went and scoped out the new place again over the weekend and found a perfect spot for the new mongo gun safe I've got my eye on. Right now I'm on the fence between Ft Knox, Liberty, and Champion... but leaning toward the latter. Which ever way I go it'll be the biggest model, 40"W x 72"H... so once the guns have been safely resettled in the free nation of Pennsylvania there'll be plenty of room for new friends to join their happy band. Let's see... handguns without internal locks... long guns with evil features... sorry - couldn't help myself.

Have a great time y'all, and I'll be missing you. Hope to join in next time this group of freedom loving Marylanders gets together for a day of fun.

P95Carry
March 2, 2004, 12:21 PM
Dale ..... sorry you can't make it but can see why.... maybe you could sneak along to the PA shoot on 28th? Tho I guess the ''PITA factor'' re the irons would still apply.

Well ... once all is fixed up it'll be good that are in a better place.:)

LeadPumper
March 2, 2004, 12:24 PM
Methinks I may be available for this event.

To bring:

DSA STG58A FAL 21" free floated barrel with Versa-pod and G3 ergo grips

Savage 10FP .308 24" free floated heavy barrel with Bushnell 3-9X50 and Bell & Carlson Duramax stock

AR-180B .223 EBR

Winchester 94 Trapper in .357 Mag

Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag with 7 1/4" barrel and Burris 2X scope

S&W 6" 586 .357 with Bushnell variable scope

Mossberg 500 12ga with 26" vented rib slug barrel

Berreta 1201FP 12ga

Questions?

-LeadPumper

K-Romulus
March 2, 2004, 12:53 PM
I'm trying to decide whether the Benelli Nova SP or the Savage 24" .308 will be my next purchase. Just don't tell my wife:D

What kind of ammo for shotguns is allowed at the range: slugs or shot?

All I'm bringin' is the HB 10/22. Handguns don't seem much fun at 25m.

Slimjim
March 2, 2004, 02:23 PM
Slugs only.

anapex
March 2, 2004, 04:40 PM
Solomon: Because of concerns of damaging the op rod, the Garand actually prefers milsurp.

Oh forgot to mention, The Garand hasn't been sighted in since I last stripped it down to parts. So it's more then likely going to need sighted in.

SodaPop
March 2, 2004, 05:03 PM
You are all invited up for the PA shoot.

Its a real easy drive if you put the pedal to the metal.

I've been down that way before but can't make it due to a St. Patrick's day party on the 14th.

Come on up!!

RobG
March 2, 2004, 05:15 PM
Already then, I'll try to get some nice Port or Aussie at the show. Lookin' forward to this - got a guy at work interested in coming up - he hasn't shot his 30.06 yet.

Norton
March 2, 2004, 05:25 PM
LeadPumper.....you MUST bring the AR180B....I was just checking one out at a shop today....looks verrryyy promising:evil:

chaim
March 2, 2004, 05:48 PM
so once the guns have been safely resettled in the free nation of Pennsylvania there'll be plenty of room for new friends to join their happy band. Let's see... handguns without internal locks... long guns with evil features... sorry - couldn't help myself.mdshooter, that isn't nice...Stop rubbing our noses in your newfound freedom ;)

Actually, it has already been suggested, but if you can't make our shoot, there is a PA shoot coming up at the end of the month as well (if I can I hope to be there, I don't know if any other MDers will be there though).

I'm trying to decide whether the Benelli Nova SP or the Savage 24" .308 will be my next purchase. If LeadPumper brings the Savage .308 I'll bring my 18.5" Benelli Nova smooth bore and some slugs. If you are interested in .30-06 I'll probably also have my Savage 110 with iron sights (it will only be the second time I've ever shot it).

Norton
March 2, 2004, 06:19 PM
Been doing some research on that AR180B......looks like a good deal at $650 (I know that's full MSRP....but it is MD after all:rolleyes: )

So....if I go by the shop on Friday and pay for it....takes about a week to get the paperwork through....I could have it by the THR shoot:D

Spot77
March 2, 2004, 06:22 PM
I'll drive you to the shop again :evil:

Don't forget to call about the SU-16.

Oh....Don't for get to stop by and pick up that Garand too.....I think we'll NEED that...:neener:

RobG
March 2, 2004, 09:18 PM
Yes, I think you will need to pick up that Garand. You will definately need that. Garand, hmmmm...

Think I'll be saving up for that.

Yes, my precious....:scrutiny:

Norton
March 3, 2004, 05:33 AM
Hmmm...I did some research on that tanker Garand last night and the consensus was decidedly unfavorable. Guess I'll just have to settle for my EBR right now and aim for the CMP Garand over the summer (when I'm home to monitor the mail:D )

LeadPumper
March 3, 2004, 10:07 AM
Norton LeadPumper.....you MUST bring the AR180B....I was just checking one out at a shop today....looks verrryyy promising

Well OK, but only since you asked so nicely.

It likes heavier (62 grn and up) bullets and feeds from most AR-15 mags. Not all but most, the origional design of the AR-180 had a different magazine and feed angle. The newer AR-180B has a lower feed angle and takes AR-15 mags, but they may need tweaking. It does not have a standard optic rail, so a hard to find adapter will be needed for optics.

Biggest problem I have had is the loose front sight not aligned with the gas port in the barrel. Essentially it turns into a single shot rifle, and readjusting the sight is a trial and error thing.

The Gun Rack?

-LeadPumper

Norton
March 3, 2004, 10:53 AM
LeadPumper....I didn't look at this particular model at The Gun Rack....it was at a local pawn shop, though it's a new gun.

Did you get yours from The Gun Rack? How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

LeadPumper
March 3, 2004, 12:00 PM
Norton- The Gun Rack had only one on the rack, about a year ago. The only one I had ever seen in the state up till that point. They asked for, and got, full MSRP from me. It was an earlier model with low serial number.

In retrospect, an impulse buy that maybe wasn't the smartest move.

But I wanted a different EBR, and different the 180B is.

-LeadPumper

Slimjim
March 3, 2004, 12:01 PM
Who's going to the pikesville gunshow this weekend?

Slimjim
March 4, 2004, 12:52 PM
Need this moved to the new forum!

nico
March 5, 2004, 02:17 AM
I may be able to go, since that'll be the last week before spring break and I don't think I have any major exams/stuff to do that week. But, does anyone know where I can find some cheap .270 ammo (~$0.50-.060 per round if possible)??

Slimjim
March 7, 2004, 04:02 PM
eh, they misprinted the gunshow, its actually the weekend of the shoot. Guess ill be going there saturday.

chaim
March 8, 2004, 03:20 PM
Hey guys, it is less than a week away. I hope we can all make it (maybe we should do a "roll call" now since it is close, everyone should have a better idea if something will be in the way of their making it or not).

So we are looking at:
When: Sunday, March 14 at 1PM.
Where:
Hap Baker Range
Carroll County Landfill
Route 140
Westminster MD 21157

I'll definately be there.

I definately plan to bring:
-AR 15 HBAR
-Winchester 94 in 30-30
-Savage 110 in 30-06 with iron sights
-Ruger MkII

I'll probably bring (though I will need to drop one or two):
-SKS (though there are enough people bringing theirs that I may leave my SKS)
-Winchester 94 in .45LC
-S&W 57 (6 or 6.5" barrel)
-S&W 586 (6")
-either my Remington 581 (.22lr bolt rifle) or Marlin 60
-Benelli Nova 12ga

Maybe (if anyone really wants me to bring one of these):
-Hi-Point carbine
-both the Rem 581 and Marlin 60
-Charles Daly 1911
-CZ 75B

Also, let me know if you really want to shoot any that are on my probably or definate list. One or two of the "probably" guns will be left home, and money is starting to get tight so I will only bring a box or two for most of these calibers (though I'll bring 200-300 rounds, or more, of .223/5.56 for the AR, a few hundred of 7.62x39 whether I bring the SKS or not, and I'll probably bring a brick or two of .22lr). If a lot of people want to shoot one particular gun I'll bring more ammo for that gun.

P95Carry
March 8, 2004, 04:41 PM
Still hoping, all things being equal .. to make it there. I am attaching a MapQuest map which came up from info supplied .... does this look about right? If so - any tips on landmarks for final approach!?

I have decided on one or two things to leave out but almost for certain I'll throw in way too much. As Chaim mentions ... anyone with burning requests .. state your case!

I shall have the Hakim and L1A1 ... I think someone wants to play with one or both! Mind you .. still awaiting the correct after market rear sight for L1 .. and rear sight on Hakim needs attention .. but so far an elastic band is doing a reasonable job!:p

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=853997

Hmmm ... ''img'' tags being ignored again . grrr!

P95Carry
Agghhh ..... double taps .. sorry .. no, this was a triple . sheesh.

P95Carry
Yikes .. now to kill this triple tap! Again, sorry.

Whilst here tho .. these directions came up for last stage from R70 ...... see if they ''look right''?

11: Take the MD-27 N exit- exit number 68- toward MT. AIRY. 0.2 miles Map
12: Turn LEFT onto MD-27 N/RIDGE RD. 8.6 miles Map
13: Turn RIGHT onto MD-26/W LIBERTY RD. 4.6 miles Map
14: Take the MD-97 ramp. 0.1 miles Map
15: Turn LEFT onto MD-97/NEW WASHINGTON RD. 9.1 miles Map
16: Turn LEFT onto MARY AVE. <0.1 miles Map
17: Turn RIGHT onto DENTON DR N. <0.1 miles Map
18: End at Westminster MD Map

Norton
March 8, 2004, 06:39 PM
Chaim,

You can leave the SKS home...I'll have mine along. I'll also bring along my CZ452 .22lr so you can leave the Marlin home if you don't to bring it.

If you want to bring along the Hi-Point however:evil: And I wouldn't mind paying a visit to your Charles Daly again.

Does anyone want me to bring any of the following?: HK USP 9, Taurus 83 .38 spl, Ruger MK II, SW2206.....let me know.

For all who've been following my new rifle trial and tribulation....I've decided that I'm going for a CMP Garand first and then waiting to see what else comes across my radar screen. I sent off my check for the GCA this morning......when my card comes, off goes my application to CMP:D

K-Romulus
March 8, 2004, 10:23 PM
Chaim, I would be interested in trying out the Nova. I can bring a box of slugs, since I'm the one begging to try it out.

I would still like to try out the Savage .308. I will bring a box of ammo for that one, too.

I will be bringing along the Black Helicopter 10/22.

If anyone wants to try them, I can bring:
- P239 in .40
- G27
- Advantage Arms .22lr conversion kit for the G27

RobG
March 9, 2004, 05:05 PM
Norton,
GCA no longer provides cards - they do it all electronically. I'll be doing the same very shortly. The next item is to get a RO to sign off on 50 rnds sent downrange in their presence. Going to see if this can be done Sunday, since I'll be there.

Norton
March 9, 2004, 08:10 PM
SolomonShort,

The new rules don't even require that. According to the new rules, any supervised live fire exercise, with rifle or handgun, is acceptable. My basic NRA pistol class had 100 rounds fired. 15 of those were "for the record" a part of the class...I figure I'm covered:D

RobG
March 9, 2004, 09:08 PM
:confused:

Last I looked (now), they were still needing this signed by the RO:

http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/marksmanship.pdf

based from

http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf

and confirmed through their recent bulletin board postings.

Sorry to rain, but I think I'll go that way. :scrutiny:

P95Carry
March 9, 2004, 09:49 PM
Guys, re my post a few back ... the one with map and directions data etc .. can someone who knows range location tell me if this is OK ... and mention any good ''final approach'' landmarks?

RobG
March 9, 2004, 10:28 PM
**Hap Baker Range
Carroll County Landfill
1400 Baltimore Blvd
Route 140
Westminster MD 21157

Sorry Chris, this is going to suck - it's farm country...and I couldn't open your attachments, hopefully mine will work.

Northbound - from 795, fire station with microwave tower on the right; pass Reese Road; stretch of road with no discernable markings with 4 or so meter high ridge on right, then a sign for Caroll County Landfill and Public Range with longish merge-off lane on right.

Southbound - 4 or so meter high ridge on left; pass Hemlock Lane on your left hand side; Carroll County Landfill entrance on the left hand side - you will pass a popular break in the road used for uturns.

People leaving for southbound 140 will need to make a right out of the facility and make a uturn at the first break in the road.

Click Me for Mapquest Map (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=internal&addtohistory=&latitude=kBabC49Umlw%3d&longitude=UCEWw0wCSHA%3d&name=Carroll%20County%20Landfill%20Oprtn&countryid=250&country=US&address=1400%20Baltimore%20Blvd&city=Westminster&state=MD&zipcode=21157&phone=410%2d386%2d4550&cat=Carroll%20County%20Landfill&spurl=0)

P95Carry
March 9, 2004, 10:53 PM
Thx for the extra info ... not sure why my map wouldn't show but anyways .... I'll print everything off and hopefully be fine. If I don't get away too late and no major hold-ups the hope to see everyone around midday or earlier if possible.

Looks like some heavy weather possible that day but hopefully it'll hold off until late.

Norton
March 10, 2004, 08:02 AM
This is what I was basing my statement on.....I'll call out there and ask...maybe we're both right! :D

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Card.
FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
No proof required if over age 60.

Slimjim
March 10, 2004, 09:17 AM
The entrance to the range on 140 is the entrance to the landfill, its in a valley between two hills that have chainlink fence running up and down them, you really cant miss it.

JeepDriver
March 10, 2004, 06:07 PM
I really want to come Sunday, but I have to work Saturday (got me a part time job at Continental Arms:D)

And if I try to sneak off shooting on Sunday my wife just might change the locks.

I'm gonna try............

RobG
March 10, 2004, 07:22 PM
hmmm, Norton, that does sound kosher - i'm surprised i missed it. dangit, not supposed to miss stuff like that. shoot.

Norton
March 11, 2004, 03:27 AM
SolomonShort,

The change was just added in something like the last week....plus it's in the middle of the parapraph....

I emailed CMP customer service last night and I'll let you know what they say. If my NRA certificate isn't good enough....I'll be right there with you with the form for the range officer.

I was just thinking how ironic it is to do my qualification to buy a Garand by using a Yugo SKS:p

LeadPumper
March 11, 2004, 02:11 PM
Norton, I sure hope that info's right. If it is, my C&R FFL will suffice. Or if not, maybe my Pistol Instructor status will.

JeepDriver- you suck:D

I'm still planning on getting to the range on Sunday, but a death in the familiy has kinda messed up the week so far. The wife's grandfather, a good dear friend, WWII vet, and avid hunter / trapper died suddenly on Saturday moring from a blood clot after surving a stroke earlier in the week.

SolomonShort and I have been doing our best to help out, but it's been rough.

Cherish those you love, while you can.

-LeadPumper

RobG
March 11, 2004, 08:12 PM
Amen! You always hear but never appreciate it: Cherish what you have, for you know not what you have till it's gone. Don was a great man, terrific friend and he will missed.

Hey, LeadPumper - if I'm a reading right (and not left), then even the NRA personal protection course counts. Coolness.

Norton, where's the love?

Norton
March 12, 2004, 07:49 AM
SolomonShort...

I just re-read my last post and realized how snide that must have sounded...sorry. I meant it to be in the spirit of "I can see how you would have missed it because...." ;)

Slimjim
March 12, 2004, 07:54 AM
This makes it hard to goto a gun show on the same weekend :P And now im gonna hvae to reload a bunch, because i need enough ammo.

Riffraff
March 12, 2004, 10:41 AM
I'll be there, got a brand new Bush to sight in and a Model 700 to sight in, glad I found THR yesterday, been looking for a good outdoor range.

PAshooter
March 12, 2004, 11:04 AM
Man, I gotta stop reading this thread. It's really making me sad that I won't be able to attend. Hope you guys have a great time... sounds like you'll have a good sized crowd. Enjoy, shoot safe, and I'll catch up with y'all at the next one.

~Dale

Calanctus
March 12, 2004, 11:17 AM
What time do the festivities begin? I'm got some brass I need to fireform....

K-Romulus
March 12, 2004, 02:19 PM
what caliber 700?

Is the savage .308 still going to be there? I am going to buy some ammo tomorrow, maybe at the Galyan's by the SPD parade . . .

Spot77
March 12, 2004, 02:34 PM
Around 1pm.

you might want to bring lunch....especially since it's illegal to stop for lunch with your firearms in the car, and the range has nothing to offer except a spot-a-pot and soda machine.

chaim
March 12, 2004, 04:05 PM
All,

Sorry you haven't seen much of me lately. My job search is at the point that I am now devoting most "free time" to it.

I haven't had time to go buy ammo, so for some guns I won't have much (first come first served if you want to shoot them). Here is the "revised" list:
Definate:
-Benelli Nova, though I don't have much in the way of slugs and I don't know if they'll work (what I have is what I have left from when I owned the Mossberg 500 and that was more than 2 years ago)
-Savage 110 with irons, in .30-06. I only know for sure that I have one box of ammo, though I might have two.
-AR with at least 200 rounds
-Both Winchester 94s, one or two boxes of 30-30 and two boxes of .45LC
-S&W 57. I've shot it and now .357mag may no longer be my favorite caliber. I have two 20 round boxes left that I'll bring.
-I think there was a Charles Daly request so my 1911 with 50-100 rounds
-Ruger MkII with a brick or two
-while I'm leaving the SKS at home since there are others coming, I'll bring ammo (hopefully 100-200 rounds, but depends on the weight all this starts adding up to).

Likely:
-Marlin 60. Very fun .22 semi-auto with 100-200 rounds CCI

I might bring my Hi-Point Carbine and/or my CZ simply because I have a lot of 9mm ammo and I'm not bringing that much of the ammo for my other stuff. The S&W 586 is staying home since I haven't bought any .38 or .357 this week (and doubt I'll have time to do so) and I haven't had time to do any reloading).

I really want to come Sunday, but I have to work Saturday (got me a part time job at Continental Arms
Congratulations. If you are working when I go up there be sure to say hello.

I'm still planning on getting to the range on Sunday, but a death in the familiy has kinda messed up the week so far

Sorry to hear that. My condolences.

Riffraff
March 12, 2004, 05:29 PM
The short list of what I am bringing:

Model 700 .308 VS
Bush AR15
wife's Ruger .22

and my neighbor whom hasn't shot a whole lot but could easily be converted to a full time enthusiast.

I am contemplating bringing my H&K .45 Tac but I haven't decided, don't even know if I could still hit a target at 75 feet with a pistol, it has been a long time since I have shot regularly.

Slimjim
March 12, 2004, 06:32 PM
Ill be bringing some cans of gun cleaner if you guys would like to buy some.

Anyway, im bringing the AR, and some other stuff, maybe the ruger old army.

Chaim, can you show me how to shoot the minature smoke pole.

Norton
March 12, 2004, 08:17 PM
Chaim,

I'd still really like to shoot that Hi-Point. I've tried the Kel-Tec and Storm so I figure I ought to give the Hi-Point a try before I decide to buy one of the above.

I'll have some 9mm with me so you can leave the ammo home if you want....see ya'll Sunday...I'm VERY ready for this after the couple of weeks I've had at school!

Spot77
March 12, 2004, 09:32 PM
To the AR shooters:

How many rounds 0f .223 do you usually go through in say...an hour's worth of shooting? (I'm bringing a few other guns, so I'll probably only run the AR part of the time).

I only have 80 rounds and some of that is for Norton.

I guess I need to get back to Walmart for a few more 40 round boxes. I got the last one at my local Wallyworld tonight.

They had another WWB 40 round box there too...but they were 45 grain bullets instead of 55 grain. I should've checked the price on those too. They are packaged in a big box with the foam/plastic dividers so I assume they're a bit more. Anybody have any experience with these or know the price?

P95Carry
March 12, 2004, 09:48 PM
Spot - I have bought some of the 45 grainers ... they are marked ''High Velocity'' . 3600 .. but those are JHP ''varmint'' rounds. I have yet to try them out but hope to use them in my Contender ... groundhogs maybe. Could bring some to try I guess.

IIRC they are not too different in price from the std 55 grainers.

I have a sh**load of Russian .223 which I can bring ... my Mini hates the stuff ... they go wide and tumble .. but maybe between us we can burn em up!!:p

Spot77
March 12, 2004, 10:23 PM
:evil:

I have a friend who lives in Westminster, and he's bringing his 10 year old son to try out a few things. I figure I'll have him shoot a few rounds on the Marlin .22 just to get him in the safety and handling groove, and then I'll let him shoot the AR.....maybe we'll let him deform a few of those Russian cartridges:D

anapex
March 13, 2004, 04:56 PM
OK final list for the wife and I for tomorrow ( So far no babysitter cancelations!).

Winchester 70 30-06 ~70 rounds
M1 Garand .308 ~200 rounds
M1 Carbine 30 Carbine ~100 rounds
Savage 62F .22 ~ 500 rounds

I may toss in a couple of my pistols, not sure yet since I've never really tried shooting them at 25 yards. See ya all tomorrow.

Norton
March 13, 2004, 08:21 PM
anapex...

I'd love a Garand lesson as I'll be getting mine soon, I hope!

Wish I had something cool to bring in return but I'm afraid it will just be the SKS, CZ452 and USP9.

anapex
March 13, 2004, 09:28 PM
Well Norton since my SKS still has a ton of cosmo on it I'll consider it a fair trade to run a couple through yours :)

Can even supply my own rounds for it if you don't mind runnning Wolf through it.

P95Carry
March 13, 2004, 09:50 PM
Much lookin forward to seein y'all .. looks like it should stay dry and maybe wind a tad less. I shall want a group pic .. y'hear!!!! So ... sometime, and before anyone does a disappearing trick ... shooting must cease while we get a pic or two.

I may tho later on require some help in I/D'ing everyone!

Just hope I find the place OK.:p

Spot77
March 13, 2004, 10:30 PM
Chris....by no means am I an expert at directions, but if you get lost give me a call on my cell phone.....same goes for the rest of you out of towners!!

I have a decent understanding of the area....and a trunk full of maps.

443-463-3445.

This is top secret info, so memorize it then wipe your hard drive clean!:neener:

P95Carry
March 13, 2004, 10:40 PM
Spot .. thx dude .. well, my navigation skills are usually pretty Ok but as ever ... a pessimist.

I will keep a note of that (OK you can delete # now! :D ) ... and most surely if seeming a bit off base, will check with you . I prefer the easy way! :)

I know I can make Westminster itself . no probs ... it is onmly the ''last bit'' that I anticipate being any trouble.

See ya!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW ... haven't counted up but man ...... putting some ammo out ready and have I got some of that Russian .223!! Must be near 300 rounds ... and I ain't takin them home! Nope .. maybe make that nearer 500 rounds!!:p :evil: :D :D

We gonna rock - or what!?? :eek:

Slimjim
March 14, 2004, 01:02 AM
Eh, im suspecting someone gets a case of garand thumb tomarrow.

But yea, you guys can have fun with the russian stuff, sorry i wont touch it in my AR.

chaim
March 14, 2004, 01:50 AM
OK, so if I can remember the Hi-Point it will definately come along. Hmm, that will be a funny looking table- somehow the AR and Benelli may not look right next to the Hi-Point, but what the heck.

Jim, I'll try to help you with the Ruger. Do you have all the paraphanallia (sp?) you need for blackpowder shooting? I don't have the kind of handy get up that Chris/P95 has for transporting everything from the car to the range. I'm bringing the handguns and ammo in a backpack (and probably a bag or two) that I'll be lugging along with the rifles. I doubt that I'll be able to manage all the stuff for blackpowder shooting. Still, if you don't have it, and you can respond in time, I'll try to bring mine if you need it (you need: a powder flask of some kind, a powder measure, grease to prevent chain fire, and of course- powder, lead balls, and caps).

This will be the first time I've tried out the AR, and I'm probably not bringing sighting targets, so it may be interesting. Hopefully, it shoots somewhat to POA.

I am glad to see that there seem to be a few Garands coming. I definately want to try one or two of them. Once I get a decent job that will probably be my next rifle.

Norton
March 14, 2004, 07:15 AM
anapex,

Don't worry about the SKS ammo.....I've been stocking up on the Wolf ammo 1/2 case at a time at every show so I've got more than enough around here for quite some time:D

One of you Garand experts is going to have to help me protect my thumb:eek:

Spot77
March 14, 2004, 08:38 AM
Chaim....I'll bring my laser bore sighter if you want to help zero in your AR a little quicker.

Anybody else is welcome to it as well. It will fit .22lr up to 50 cal I believe (it has different bore inserts)

Slimjim
March 14, 2004, 09:03 AM
Eh, i cant find all the stuff for the black powder gun, so dont worry about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Maryland - Next THR Meet/Shoot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!