Should I buy this Sig?

PDA

rock jock
January 30, 2003, 03:45 PM
I found a Sig 228 listed locally as "like-new" condition. The seller is willing to take $475 for it. I have been on a gun-buying spree lately and cannot justify a new gun. In addition, I have zero familiarity with Sigs at all. However, the hype surrounding Sigs makes me curious and it might be a good addition to my small collection of SA's, which include a G23, Walther P99, and Kimber Compact. Is this a "jump-on-it" deal? Is the Sig really that much a phenomena that I should go out on a limb to buy it?

BTW, this isn't one of those cases where I have already decided to buy it and want to rationlize the decision. I really am on the fence.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I buy this Sig?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walt Sherrill
January 30, 2003, 03:48 PM
SIGs are great guns, but this price -- while OK -- is nothing to mortgage your house or sell your first-born for.

Wait until you've got something to sell or until you've got some money to spare.

10-Ring
January 30, 2003, 04:29 PM
I too am on the fence re: a particular gun purchase. In your case tho, if you've had a chance to handle the SIG and it meets w/ your standards, that seems like a really good price...BUY IT! What's a buying spree if you have to think about it?:evil:

MK11
January 30, 2003, 04:45 PM
The only justification that's necessary is that you want it and can afford it.

The Sig P228 is a terrific gun and hard to find. While the world won't plunge out of its orbit if you don't have a Sig, I'd jump on a like-new P228 if I could find one for that price around here. If it doesn't seriously compromise your finances, go for it. My wish-I-got-it-when-I-had-the-chance vault is filling up with too many guns (Browning HP Practical, S&W 19, H&K USP, Ruger Speed Six, S&W Model 15) that I let get away cause I felt like I just didn't really need one at the time.

Handy
January 30, 2003, 04:45 PM
That is relatively cheap for "like new". Sigs, not having a huge number of variations, have pretty standard prices and it is rare to see bargains from those unfamiliar with their value.

I recently spent $450 on a 225 with 4 mags. It was a good deal, not a great deal. But after looking for awhile, it became obvious that there weren't any great deals.

The Sig 228 and similar are, in my mind, the epitome of modern DA/SA autoloaders. They have excellent DA triggers, simple, easy to reach operation and are very accurate and reliable. The alloy frames aren't bullet proof, but they do the job and keep the weight down. They don't really have any drawbacks or checkered histories. Aside from their thickness, there is little to dislike. It would be the perfect gun for the one gun man (which you and I aren't, but oh well).

Considering it's local, $475 out the door is pretty darn good. And you could always pick up $50 or so on a re-sale. If it has factory or Mec-gar hicaps, or more than 2 10rounders, the deal gets particularly sweet.

cslinger
January 30, 2003, 05:10 PM
If it should happen to have the German proofmarks it is a pretty good deal.

Otherwise it is still a decent deal.

228s and 225s are becoming harder and harder to find due to the demand of law enforcement and militarys around the world.

If you don't own a SIG, have the money, and don't mind double stack pistols go for it.

Personally I am a 225 guy but all SIGs are great.

Chris

Mastrogiacomo
January 30, 2003, 05:32 PM
I'd hesistate. Frankly, the fact that you ask us tells me even you have reservations. You'd could buy a new gun at that cost: Beretta, Glock, etc. Hold out until buying is more financially comfortable.:)

PeacefulWarrior
January 30, 2003, 06:29 PM
The Sig P228 is a great weapon! I personally own a Sig P229 in .357 Sig,but I love the Sig platform. If I was looking for a 9mm it would be a P228. The price seems fair especially if you get some hi-caps with it.

The choice is yours if you want/need to spend the money on it,but if you do you won't be disappointed.On the plus side you should have no problem getting rid of it if it does not suit you needs. If you decide not to buy it now another one will come along their are plenty of them on the market.

Watch-Six
January 30, 2003, 06:39 PM
IMHO The P228 is a great pistol. I don't like high capacity guns with low capacity magazines. If it comes with any hicaps I would grab it. Otherwise it is still a very nice pistol at a fair price. Watch-Six

Handy
January 30, 2003, 07:04 PM
A slightly used SIG is a much better way to spend $475 than a brand new Glock. Well payed Germans actually took the time to machine the Sig's frame, rather than pop it out of the mold.

The cheapest new 228 I've seen was $599. You'd be saving at least $125 because somebody put 100 rounds through it first.

I forgot to mention that I prefer the lighter looks of the older 228 and 225 slides. The 229 is too clumpy.

thisaway
January 30, 2003, 07:27 PM
I bought a P226 about a year-and-a-half ago and I have been quite pleased with it...it's one of my best purchases. The price on your P228 is certainly not bad...and if it has the full-cap mags that makes it a bargain. And even if it doesn't, P226 full-caps are plentiful and relatively inexpensive (if you look hard enough) and they will function just fine in a P228.

rock jock
January 30, 2003, 07:47 PM
The gun does not include any hi-caps. I have sent the owner a couple more questions. If they are satisfactory and I can unload a couple of other guns, I may buy it.

George Hill
January 30, 2003, 08:36 PM
No hi caps with it? Pass.

rock jock
January 30, 2003, 10:40 PM
13 round hi-caps do not thrill me that much.

Kahr carrier
January 30, 2003, 11:40 PM
BUY IT:)

SodaPop
January 31, 2003, 12:35 AM
The gun does not include any hi-caps.

George beat me to it!

PASS!!

I've been scoping for a Sig 228 for about 6yrs now. I see them going for about $720 NIB with one hi-cap mag. For some reason a shop near me sells new Sigs with used Hi-caps just to mark up the price.

$425 is a good price for a used Sig 228 with 10rd mags. I have a shop near me that has a Sig 226 with two hi-cap mags for $450.

Keep shopping............

rock jock
January 31, 2003, 12:39 AM
Allright, I'm going to pass. I appreciate the help, folks. If he drops the price to $425-450, I'll buy it.

SodaPop
January 31, 2003, 12:56 AM
Bring cash and bargain with him. I just became a first time Sig owner (Sig 239). It was used going for $479 and ended up getting it for $439 + a box of Winchester 115gr 9mm for wearing the guy down.:evil: I may him pull out just about every compact gun in the store and eventually I could tell he just wanted me to get the hell out.

:D

I'm cheap!

PATH
January 31, 2003, 01:52 AM
I love my 228. See if he'll come down a bit especially if you are a regular. Usually the owner of my shop will take off some here and there. Never hurts to try. By the way it is a honey of a shooter.

boing
January 31, 2003, 03:50 AM
I have a shop near me that has a Sig 225 with two hi-cap mags for $450.

Neat trick for a single stack. Probably doesn't conceal too well, either. ;)

(typo?)

rock jock
January 31, 2003, 11:35 AM
Now I am on the fence again. One big question I have: how wide is the 228? The Sig website indicates that it is significantly wider than the Glock 23, for example. Does it feel this bulky?

SodaPop
January 31, 2003, 11:40 AM
Neat trick for a single stack. Probably doesn't conceal too well, either.

It comes with (2) 15rd mags.

Handy
January 31, 2003, 12:16 PM
Sodapop,

The 225 model you posted about has 8 round mags. The 226 uses 15 rounders. Which model did you mean?

SodaPop
January 31, 2003, 12:21 PM
I have an account at an indoor pistol range and the owners have some kind of deal with used Sigs. I have no idea how they get so many used Sigs in there. I thought I saw a Sig 228 (that is pretty beat up) and asked if it was. The guy responded that it was a Sig 226. It says $450 on the tag and says (2)15rd mags. I'm going back up there again in about 4hrs so I can triple check. They may be crappy 1ft long USA mags or something.

boing
January 31, 2003, 02:02 PM
The 228 is widest in the grip, at the top of the frame. That's where the grips bulge out due to the springs and decocking lever mechanism housed underneath. It's wider than the Glock in that area, but the grip as a whole fits me much better. It doesn't feel chunky or blocky at all in the hand. It's actually the best "fits like a glove" handgun I've held.

I've found the 228 to be easier to conceal than my G19, because the 228 butt has a rounded profile that blends into the cover garment more discretely. The width isn't significant.

teombe
January 31, 2003, 03:54 PM
Now I am on the fence again. One big question I have: how wide is the 228? The Sig website indicates that it is significantly wider than the Glock 23, for example. Does it feel this bulky?

Hopefully these pictures will give you an idea. I don't have any side-by sides, but yes... the P228 has a wider grip. IMHO, the real issue is the long DA trigger pull. A short trigger should address that if you have short fingers/small hands.

http://home.austin.rr.com/teombe/gun_pages/gun_images/wtfG19_10_sm.jpg

http://home.austin.rr.com/teombe/gun_pages/gun_images/wtfp228_2sm.jpg

http://home.austin.rr.com/teombe/gun_pages/gun_images/wtfp228_6sm.jpg

45R
January 31, 2003, 03:58 PM
Buy a SIG.

You will automatically fall into this catagory.
Smart
Intellegent
Gunner

On the more serious note. Go the range and shoot it. If you like the trigger and the way it shoots for you, buy buy buy.

rock jock
January 31, 2003, 04:13 PM
Well, I emailed the guy an offer of $440. If he doesn't accept it, no big deal. I am not that desparate for a Sig, but I feel my collection is not complete without one.

Ebbtide
January 31, 2003, 07:13 PM
Hope it works out for you.

Who knows where the economy is going. Good idea to play with what you have and save the cash for the unknown.

My negative 2 cents,

ehenz:( ;) :)

SodaPop
January 31, 2003, 10:11 PM
Well I just got back from triple checking and I was right!!!! It was a Sig 226!

Where do you guys get this Sig 225 stuff from? Re-read what I stated and tell me where I said the Sig 225 takes 15rd mags??? Get your facts straight!!:neener:

P.S.
Thank God for editing.:evil:

boing
February 1, 2003, 02:43 AM
Well, I guess you never said the mags wer for the 225...just with the 225.

Maybe the guy just tosses in a couple of Beretta mags with each Sig purchase. ;)

Kahr carrier
February 2, 2003, 05:30 AM
It never hurts to make an offer ,all they can say is NO or Better yet YES.:D

Walt Sherrill
February 2, 2003, 07:23 AM
Well, I guess you never said the mags wer for the 225...just with the 225.

Maybe the guy just tosses in a couple of Beretta mags with each Sig purchase. Actually, BOING, he didn't write that, either.

In fact, he never wrote ANYTHING about a 225.

The "225" got changed to "226" when you misquoted his original statement about a 226 with hi-caps...

SodaPop
February 2, 2003, 01:16 PM
Booing-:neener: :evil:

boing
February 2, 2003, 01:22 PM
I guess I'm just a little too mature to play your little "editing games", you BIG FAT STUPID-HEAD!

"Soda and Walt
Sitiin' in a tree
E-D-I-T-I-N-G..."

:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I buy this Sig?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!